HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Los Angeles @ Colorado 9/24/08 6:00PM (Preseason)

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about anything that happens in the pre-season. Things have a way of not going so easily once the regular season starts. However, the one positive I can take from this early success is that it could very well give the young D some confidence going into the season.
If I recall correctly the Kings usually have great pre-seasons but rarely can carry that success over into the regular season. Let's hope this year bucks that trend.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
johnjm22

The Kings are perhaps the greatest preseason team in the history of the NHL.

They have not had a losing preseason record since the 80's.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
If I recall correctly the Kings usually have great pre-seasons but rarely can carry that success over into the regular season. Let's hope this year bucks that trend.
i had serious hopes that they would tank in the preseason. at least then i'd have some sort of glimmer of hope going into the regular season.

Old
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Purcell's shootout goal.

Old
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Johnny Utah

What happened with Boyle?

Old
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
CaliCash

Send a message via AIM to CaliCash Send a message via Yahoo to CaliCash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Is Boyle hurt or is he in the doghouse after that turnover? Only 4:38 of ice time so far. Ivanans has more ice time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
What happened with Boyle?
I am wondering the same thing. Does anybody have any insight? All the games recaps that I have found do not mention anything about him being injured or why so little playing time.

Old
09-25-2008, 12:16 PM
CaliCash

Send a message via AIM to CaliCash Send a message via Yahoo to CaliCash
Regarding Boyle....per Rich Hammond

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

As for potential injuries, Brian Boyle did not take a shift in the third period or overtime. No reason was given, so we'll see what happened there.

Old
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Johnny Utah

This pisses me off...he had a turnover that led to a goal and then Terry Murray shortened his bench...Ugh.

There goes giving the young guys a chance....especially in the pre-season....

Old
09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
not tellin*

i think he was just benched like JU said because boyle was there congratulating purcell after the goal. i'm not sure how bad the pass was but TM must not have been very happy about it, he did take a few penalties as well so that may have been another factor.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
This pisses me off...he had a turnover that led to a goal and then Terry Murray shortened his bench...Ugh.

Hopefully Boyle got the message. I think Boyle was going to make the team anyway.

Old
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Sybil227

Quote:

I'm sure Boyle will get plenty of opportunity to play, and plenty of ice time if he deserves it.
The great thing I see about this is that he & the other players are seeing that there are consequences to playing badly. If the team had continued to play poorly and not picked it up at all, Boyle might have gotten another shot to go out there & see if he could turn it around. As it was, he was making mistakes & the team was playing great without him. So he got to sit & watch. It's a good lesson.

Old
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I have two comments to make regarding two of Reap's previous posts in this thread.

Reap made a post earlier in the thread saying something like "Boyle's got to fight right there". Can anyone elaborate on what happened? My comment on the situation is perhaps it's not only the turnover but also Boyle not dropping the gloves when he should. The identity of this team is changing into one that revolves around hitting, defensive commitment and sticking up for both teammates and yourself...can't be having a monster like Boyle that hasn't proven anything in this league shying away from confrontation.

The second comment I have has to do with the post about all the impressive rookies staying here and the others playing last night. We already established that Simmonds played so that gets debunked a little bit, but the reason for last night's roster is very simple. Terry Murray didn't coach any of the rookies (by rookies I mean the non-AHL guys) that played last night because they played in St. Louis. Obviously Murray wants to see these guys in person so they got the nod last night. Bank on Moller and Hickey playing on Saturday night; possibly Voinov as well. This is, of course, barring any cuts beforehand.

Old
09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Homunculous

Oy! I was at the game sporting my Brown jersey. I know everyone whose actually been able to watch a game so far has noticed, but for those who havnt, we are a huge team, and it's nice to see, I was 7 rows up from center ice and honestly cant remember a shift where the Avs had a size advantage. When Ivanans and Boyle cane out for their first shift together a few Avs fans gasped and muttered something along the lines of "holy .... what the hell are those things!" Ersberg actually played well and didnt allow many rebounds, Handzus looked damn good out there, same with Stoll. I'll be surprised if one Handzus/Boyle isnt playing wing within the first week of the season. Simmonds had a shift where he took out 3 straight Avs with clean checks, one of which being Tucker. Then next shift he had a solid scoring chance. Doughty seems to already be running the D, if he doesnt make the team I'll eat my hat. Johnson led 2 end to end rushes that ended in pretty darned good saves. I have yet to see Moller play, but Moulson more than held his own. Oh and Drewiski seemed like he could handle bottom pairing minutes right now.
Sorry it's all jumbled up and a day late, just random observations from the game.

Old
09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
yankeeking

Quote:

They have got to be held accountable esp. in the preseason, if they want to stay up they must play the team game. That is why TM is here ,but I hope it wasn't one bad play but a repeat of whatever that had him sit

Old
09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I have two comments to make regarding two of Reap's previous posts in this thread.

Reap made a post earlier in the thread saying something like "Boyle's got to fight right there". Can anyone elaborate on what happened? My comment on the situation is perhaps it's not only the turnover but also Boyle not dropping the gloves when he should. The identity of this team is changing into one that revolves around hitting, defensive commitment and sticking up for both teammates and yourself...can't be having a monster like Boyle that hasn't proven anything in this league shying away from confrontation.

If I remember right there was a scuffle after Boyle's highstick and he had the chance to get one of their guys off the ice when they came after him. You already know you're going off the ice, take one of them with you. Just didn't seem to fit in with the the rest of the mentality that the Kings have been doing so far this preseason. Last preseason he threw down with Lappy, he's still gotta show that kind of stuff.

Old
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Completely agree Reap. An Eric Daze-faire philososphy towards physical play should not be tolerated on this squad.

Old
09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
KrazyTea*

Has Hickey been sent down already?

Old
09-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
Has Hickey been sent down already?
Nope. He was paired with Doughty last night in Vegas.

Closed Thread