HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Buffalo Bills' relationship with Toronto

Old
08-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
I went with an American buddy of mine that is a Bengals fan. Some of my friends like the Pats, Packers, Cowboys, Giants and Pukesburgh. I personally like the Cowboys. You can't ask people to really like the Bills just becasue of the proximity.
No, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people should like them because they're close, I personally don't follow the Bills, I'm just saying that if it's mainly NFL fans going, the novelty may wear off, just like the Winter "Classic" will soon wear off.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

anyone who pays the kind of money there asking to see exhibition games and the worst teams in the league during the regular season have some serious issues. Buffalo was nice enough to give us the games that have low interest in Buffalo and now were expected to pay 10x the price to see them. This is simply an insult to all of us.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Macke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Yes lets stay with the Argos who drew less than 31,000 last night for a league game at ticket prices equal to the cost of a beer at a real football game. !!! :

Toronto is the 5th largest market in North America and will have an NFL team one day.
I wouldn't have a problem with Toronto getting an NFL team in 25 or 30 years or so.. just not anytime in the near future.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:12 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Can Rogers Centre even be a good football venue? Sight wise.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Macke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
Can Rogers Centre even be a good football venue? Sight wise.
Rogers Center wouldn't work for NFL football.

They would need a new stadium..that if it happens better bet funded by Ted Rogers 100%

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 04:06 PM
HankTheTank

The problem is, the current Bills are boring as ****.

Get a QB in there who can do more than throw a 7 foot pass into the flats and maybe I'll be intrigued.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
It Kills Me

More NFL fans then Bills fans..

Go Eagles!!

Bills are a close 2nd.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Anybody think the overall sentiments towards this idea change a bit now that there's somewhat of a buzz surrounding the Bills?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:32 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post

Get a QB in there who can do more than throw a 7 foot pass into the flats and maybe I'll be intrigued.
Has the opinion changed at all?

Old
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
3-0. wow.

It's just hard I guess to cheer for a team that really isn't yours. They're still buffalo. Now there isn't a hateful relationship between Buffalo and Toronto. I think Buffalonians look up to Toronto in awe, compared to what Buffalo is, and Toronto sees it as a close little neighbour that we have a healthy rivalry with the leafs and Sabres. I've never hated Buffalo, never hated the Sabres either.

If the process eventually comes to be a full-time Toronto franchise, well, then I think an NFL team will be embraced.

We'll see I guess what happens the next game.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
3-0. wow.

It's just hard I guess to cheer for a team that really isn't yours. They're still buffalo. Now there isn't a hateful relationship between Buffalo and Toronto. I think Buffalonians look up to Toronto in awe, compared to what Buffalo is, and Toronto sees it as a close little neighbour that we have a healthy rivalry with the leafs and Sabres. I've never hated Buffalo, never hated the Sabres either.

If the process eventually comes to be a full-time Toronto franchise, well, then I think an NFL team will be embraced.

What on earth are you talking about with that?

Old
09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
VooX

Toronto and Buffalo have a very special relationship. We share arts and sports with each other.

There are many who view the Bills as Toronto's adopted NFL team. Just like there are many in Buffalo who have adopted the Blue Jays as a home team. We in Toronto go to watch
musicians who can't cross the border because of criminal records and people in Buffalo come to Toronto to see plays like The Phantom (when it was out).

VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 07:58 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:

You clearly haven't watched one Bills game this year, Too bad, they're very good and IMO exciting to watch.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 08:00 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
3-0. wow.

You should post that on the Sabres board and see what comments come from that. I can't speak for people in Buffallo, but the ones I have met are very passionate about their sports teams, especially the Bills.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
anyone who pays the kind of money there asking to see exhibition games and the worst teams in the league during the regular season have some serious issues. Buffalo was nice enough to give us the games that have low interest in Buffalo and now were expected to pay 10x the price to see them. This is simply an insult to all of us.
Bills-Dolphins--in December--is a low interest game? I know the Dolphins suck, but they are our #1 rival historically and in our division, and if i was a Season ticket holder I'd be pissed that the Dolphins game was the one that got moved. In Buffalo, it may not be the most-awaited game of the year right now, but people will care about it a lot more than a game against the Seahawks or Raiders.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:12 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
You should post that on the Sabres board and see what comments come from that. I can't speak for people in Buffallo, but the ones I have met are very passionate about their sports teams, especially the Bills.
This is putting sports aside by what I mean, I'm talking about cities as a whole, culture wise, economy wise. Toronto and Buffalo are quite different in their industries and how they were formed and evolved.

I should have mentioned that I didn't mean sports teams period. Hope that makes sense.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:

Yeah, I think they already fixed that problem. Plus they have one of the fastest RB in the league.
I don't think Torontonians are as much in love with the Bills are as ppl from St Catharines and Niagara region.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
I'm a Chargers/Giants fan. I don't like the Bills, but not because of the hockey rivalry. I don't really know why I don't like them, I just don't.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Jerkini

As someone who has no interest in the NFL, I would probably watch a Toronto NFL team.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Yeah, I think they already fixed that problem. Plus they have one of the fastest RB in the league.
I don't think Torontonians are as much in love with the Bills are as ppl from St Catharines and Niagara region.
I think you'd be surprised. The Bills are far and away the closest NFL team to Toronto. Torontonians are not going to cheer for a Philly, New York or Boston based NFL team after our long standing rivalries with these cities in Hockey and Baseball, Toronto's two (mostly one) leading sports. Buffalo's NFL team is an unassuming franchise that represents a whole geographical area as opposed to a bustling metropolis and that appeals to Torontonians.

Go to a sports bar on a Sunday and watch a Bills vs. X game and I guarantee you that most of the bar cheers when the Bills score.

Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
I think you'd be surprised. The Bills are far and away the closest NFL team to Toronto. Torontonians are not going to cheer for a Philly, New York or Boston based NFL team after our long standing rivalries with these cities in Hockey and Baseball, Toronto's two (mostly one) leading sports. Buffalo's NFL team is an unassuming franchise that represents a whole geographical area as opposed to a bustling metropolis and that appeals to Torontonians.

Go to a sports bar on a Sunday and watch a Bills vs. X game and I guarantee you that most of the bar cheers when the Bills score.
Probably a generational thing more than anything.

I know way more Steeler/Pats/Cowboy/Packer fans than Bills fans. In fact the Bills may be one of the more detested teams(I think that stems from the "Bills Make You Want To Shout" song we were forced to listen to every Sunday).

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:01 AM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=ACC1224;15614457]Probably a generational thing more than anything.

I know way more Steeler/Pats/Cowboy/Packer fans than Bills fans. In fact the Bills may be one of the more detested teams(I think that stems from the "Bills Make You Want To Shout" song we were forced to listen to every Sunday).[/QUOTE]

As much as I love the Bills, I can't disagree with you there. That was awful. To you point, I think there are alot more Pats, Packers and Cowboys fans than Bills by far. Not sure about the Steelers though, . I was told that at home games in Pittsburgh, female fans would paint their breasts, one black and one gold and often flash the crowd. I've thought of attending one of their home games, based on that alone.