HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

St. Louis vs Doan

View Poll Results: Who will get more points?
Martin St. Loius 58 86.57%
Shane Doan 9 13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Snipeshow

vCash: 500
St. Louis vs Doan

Who do you think will get more points this year?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Luongofan

wwwwwwhhhhhaaaaaaaaattttttttttt???
DO YOU HAVE PROBLEMS

Luongofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:14 PM
hockeyfan666666

St.Louis will get more points

hockeyfan666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:15 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

St. Louis for me. I think Jokinen will help Doan get some more points, but I still don't he'll get more than Marty.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:33 PM
AK

I didn't read the poll.

I voted Doan, thinking it was asking who was the better player.

Then I saw it was just for amount of points, which should be St. Louis.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:13 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I didn't read the poll.

I voted Doan, thinking it was asking who was the better player.

Then I saw it was just for amount of points, which should be St. Louis.
You would call Doan better than St. Louis?

Doan is great, coming off a career year with 78pts, can be physical, play a good overall game.

But we are talking here about Martin St. Louis, one of the most complete player of the league, defensively, offensively, setting up teammate, the same Martin who score 100pts in 2006-07 and won a Hart, Leatser and Art Ross in 2003-04.

Calling Doan a better hockey player than St. Louis is a strange statement my friend.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:16 PM
decadentia

The only way I would have voted for Doan is if this poll were based on height....

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
PhoPhan

I voted St. Louis, but it's not as far off as people seem to think.

Doan had 78 points last year, and this year his linemates will be Olli Jokinen and an improved Peter Mueller, so a modest improvement is not out of the question.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:15 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
The only way I would have voted for Doan is if this poll were based on height....

I seriously laughed for 5 minutes straight because of this picture.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:19 AM
The Big Swede

Personally,I think Shane Doan is the better complete player but St-Louis will get more points

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

St.louis

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
You would call Doan better than St. Louis?

Doan is great, coming off a career year with 78pts, can be physical, play a good overall game.

But we are talking here about Martin St. Louis, one of the most complete player of the league, defensively, offensively, setting up teammate, the same Martin who score 100pts in 2006-07 and won a Hart, Leatser and Art Ross in 2003-04.

Calling Doan a better hockey player than St. Louis is a strange statement my friend.
No my friend... the strange statements are yours. Doan "can be physical"?

He led all NHL forwards for six consecutive seasons in registering at least 200+ hits and 200+ shots until Morrow broke the sequence. That's exceptional. But he "can be physical"? That's damning yourself with faint praise.

Doan's "good" overall game is what made him Team Canada's captain. It's why he's the first choice for the defensive line on the best hockey team in the world. Perhaps Team Canada have been making a mistake all these years they've been picking Doan for this role instead of St.Louis?

St.Louis is very skilled and can rack points up, and picking him over Doan for that reason is reasonable. But as far as a complete game goes, you'll find people like Doan and it would hardly be surprising if Doan outscores him again next season.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
No my friend... the strange statements are yours. Doan "can be physical"?

He led all NHL forwards for six consecutive seasons in registering at least 200+ hits and 200+ shots until Morrow broke the sequence. That's exceptional. But he "can be physical"? That's damning yourself with faint praise.

Doan's "good" overall game is what made him Team Canada's captain. It's why he's the first choice for the defensive line on the best hockey team in the world. Perhaps Team Canada have been making a mistake all these years they've been picking Doan for this role instead of St.Louis?

St.Louis is very skilled and can rack points up, and picking him over Doan for that reason is reasonable. But as far as a complete game goes, you'll find people like Doan and it would hardly be surprising if Doan outscores him again next season.
You are biased, you are a Phoenix fan, I'm not and I'm not a Tampa fans either. I told you that Doan can be physical whats wrong with that? Yes he can be gritty and have his share of hits in a season. Doan on Team Canada defensive line on a Team Canada full of non playoff team player, not that much of a great feat. BTW St. Louis was on the same team finishing with more than a PTS per game.

* 2004 World Cup of Hockey (gold medal)
* 2006 Winter Olympics
* 2008 World Championships (silver medal)
* 2004 Art Ross
* 2004 Hart Memorial
* 2004 Stanley Cup Champion
* 2004 Lester B Pearson
* 2004 First All Star Team RW
* 2007 Second All Star Team RW (100pts+)

St. Louis is underrated, he was and still considerate d like one of the most energetic player of the game, never take a shift off, with a good overall game defensively. On the PK he is extremely dangerous, one of the most dangerous PKer in the league, along with Cannon and Alfy. He also won the Bud +/- Award once. 505pts in 605 games for a forward who spent the first 5 years of his career in the AHL. Doan is only 45pts ahead of St. Louis career wise with 200+ games than Marty. I don't think there is a player in the NHL with a bigger heart and desire to win that St. Louis.

Any knowledgeable hockey fan would take St. Louis over Doan whether or not its for pts or overall player...

Its a disgrace to pick Doan.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
PhoPhan

A disgrace, eh? Last season, Doan put up 78 points on a line with a rookie and a rotating door. St. Louis outscored by exactly five points, and this was with playing with grossly superior linemates. They'll be neck and neck this year.

As for complete games, it's not close. Shane Doan is one of most complete players in the league. He does all the same things St. Louis does, and at least one more: he hits. A lot.

"Heart" is not a tangible, measurable thing, so any sort of comparison is impossible, but suffice it to say Shane Doan has an awful lot of it.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Airborne Troll*

#26 of Tampa

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Luongo2008*

Martin St. Loius

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A disgrace, eh? Last season, Doan put up 78 points on a line with a rookie and a rotating door. St. Louis outscored by exactly five points, and this was with playing with grossly superior linemates. They'll be neck and neck this year.

As for complete games, it's not close. Shane Doan is one of most complete players in the league. He does all the same things St. Louis does, and at least one more: he hits. A lot.

"Heart" is not a tangible, measurable thing, so any sort of comparison is impossible, but suffice it to say Shane Doan has an awful lot of it.
Shane Doan most definitely has heart, and really I would agree that these two players are both equally important to their teams.

However, when I think of heart in the NHL, Martin St Louis literally is the first thing that comes to mind.

There's just something about little firecracker forwards that give it their all.

He reminds me of a saner version of Theo Fleury (at least when it comes to stature and drive)

Now...really this is all completely irrelevant to the original post however, I guess I just enjoy pictures.

Old
09-28-2008, 06:13 PM
decadentia

Quote:
A disgrace for someones opinion that he may score more points? You may want to be a little less sensitive/dramatic on your next 52nd post.

Old
09-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Who I prefer is probably quite obvious, so I don't have to say any homer comments about it but..

..I think both Doan and Marty are underrated players

Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

St.Louis

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
You are biased, you are a Phoenix fan, I'm not and I'm not a Tampa fans either. I told you that Doan can be physical whats wrong with that? Yes he can be gritty and have his share of hits in a season. Doan on Team Canada defensive line on a Team Canada full of non playoff team player, not that much of a great feat. BTW St. Louis was on the same team finishing with more than a PTS per game.
I may well be a Phoenix fan but that doesnt remove the fact that Doan led NHL forward for six consecutive seasons in hits and shots.

That is worthy of more praise than "oh he can be physical". Captaining Canada and spending a decade on the best checking line in the world is worthy of more than "well he can play quite decently"... especially when you go on to praise St.Louis in those departments. Total double standards.

Secondly I may well be biased but your fanboy comments on St.Louis hardly sound the epitome of neutrality! Attempting to malign Doan with those "not that great" comments shows you have a blatant agenda.

Quote:
Any knowledgeable hockey fan would take St. Louis over Doan whether or not its for pts or overall player...

Any knowledgeable fan would not have damned Doan with such faint praise. Your comments on him simply show your lack of knowledge.

Doan scored more goals than St.Louis last season and only finished with 5 less points despite playing with a bunch of rookies. St.Louis has had the benefit of playing with far better teammates. Doan outscored St.Louis in 05-06 as well. Now that he actually has a good centre again in Jokinen and given their respective ages its hardly a disgraceful concept that he might outscore St.Louis again.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote