HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet preview show

Old
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Too much? Are you crazy? This is Marian Gaborik we are talking about here. A 26 year old 42 goal scorer possibly the fastest and most electrifying player in the league (after Ovechkin). A player who would easily hit 50 goals on a team this offensively focused and gifted.

But really a 2nd line winger and prospect is way too much for that kind of talent...
Yes a 26 year old 42 goal scorer who has no contract at the end of the season and who could get easily 8 million a year. Considering we have so many free-agents this year and that Gabs could get 8 mil, I really doubt Gainey trades for him, especially Higgins.

I'd rather keep Higgins and the team we have now because we could sign all of our Ufa's at the end of this season thus keeping the same core of the team.

A team without Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komesarek, Higgins and Plekanec is going to be very difficult to swallow, I'm not saying we will lose them all, but if we sign Gabs at 8 million(if he were actually traded) we would certainly lose at the minimum two of those players. Lets not forget that Lats and Sergei also need a contract raises.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Too much? Are you crazy? This is Marian Gaborik we are talking about here. A 26 year old 42 goal scorer possibly the fastest and most electrifying played in the league (after Ovechkin). A player who would easily hit 50 goals on a team this offensively focused and gifted.

But really a 2nd line winger and prospect is way too much for that kind of talent...
Uhhh, how many times has Gaborik scored 40? Once. Last year.

Higgins may score thirty himself this year. He's injured a lot less often, good on defence and a consumate team player. McDonagh is a blue-chipper or so we're told. With a third, for a player who is often injured and is only signed for one more year, that's as far as I go.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Too much? Are you crazy? This is Marian Gaborik we are talking about here. A 26 year old 42 goal scorer possibly the fastest and most electrifying player in the league (after Ovechkin). A player who would easily hit 50 goals on a team this offensively focused and gifted.

Not to mention Higgins becomes RFA at the end of the season..

But I doubt Gainey goes after him..it'll cost him way too much..If Minny is completely out of the PO race, then maybe the price will drop a bit. But if they're making a push, they will raise their limit to the max. That means more than just one current roster player, added with picks/prospects.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Higgins may score thirty himself this year. He's injured a lot less often, good on defence and a consumate team player. McDonagh is a blue-chipper or so we're told. With a third, for a player who is often injured and is only signed for one more year, that's as far as I go.
And that's why you'd never get him.

Gaborik has a combined 110G in his last 190GP..which gives him an average of 47G in his last 3seasons.
You think that's only worth Higgins+McDonagh??..

Higgins is not even close to being a better player or even comparable to Gaborik. Gabby is part of the Elite of this league, he's a superstar whether you want to admit it or not.

Old
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Minny is completely out of the PO race, then maybe the price will drop a bit.
Considering how much had to be given for Hossa (4 roster players), don't count on Gaborik's value to go down at the deadline...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Tusk

I doubt we get Gaborik, but he would fit perfectly with the Habs style, just saying.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Yes a 26 year old 42 goal scorer who has no contract at the end of the season and who could get easily 8 million a year. Considering we have so many free-agents this year and that Gabs could get 8 mil, I really doubt Gainey trades for him, especially Higgins.

I'd rather keep Higgins and the team we have now because we could sign all of our Ufa's at the end of this season thus keeping the same core of the team.

A team without Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komesarek, Higgins and Plekanec is going to be very difficult to swallow, I'm not saying we will lose them all, but if we sign Gabs at 8 million(if he were actually traded) we would certainly lose at the minimum two of those players. Lets not forget that Lats and Sergei also need a contract raises.
Sergei's contract finishes in 09/10 not next season.

Old
09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Considering how much had to be given for Hossa (4 roster players), don't count on Gaborik's value to go down at the deadline...
Atlanta wasn't completely out and I don't know what 4 roster players you're talking about.

They gave Armstrong and Christensen(2roster players), along with Angelo Esposito(Prospect) and 1st rounder.

And that's what I said it would cost..something along those lines.

Old
09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Atlanta wasn't completely out and I don't know what 4 roster players you're talking about.

They gave Armstrong and Christensen(2roster players), along with Angelo Esposito(Prospect) and 1st rounder.

And that's what I said it would cost..something along those lines.
Don't count Minnesota out. They'll be fighting for a playoffs' spot, possibly for their division.

Old
09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Higgins, '10 first and Ryan McDonagh?
Need to move a little contract to make this happen...unless it happens around draft day

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Don't forget stylish blazers with open dress shirts (no ties) and jeans.
reminds me of that Family Guy episode where the Pro-Lifer turns his chair around and says "let's rap about obstinence." The kids say "Wow, put his hat on backwards and he sat down so cool, let's listen to him."

Ties do not make you serious, and not wearing a tie does not make you cool.

It's like this is 1965.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Exactly!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Pr3Va1L

With Gaborik on the team, we win the cup..

Then loose 1/2 of our best players.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
And that's why you'd never get him.

Gaborik has a combined 110G in his last 190GP..which gives him an average of 47G in his last 3seasons.
You think that's only worth Higgins+McDonagh??..

Higgins is not even close to being a better player or even comparable to Gaborik. Gabby is part of the Elite of this league, he's a superstar whether you want to admit it or not.
So Gaborik has never scored more than 42 goals yet you're manipulating numbers to imply that he's averaged 47 goals in his last 3 seasons.

That's some wicked spin doctoring!

Durability (or lack of) counts for something. Also, would it be smart to pay $8 million to an injury prone player who struggled in playoffs by scoring 0 goals and 1 assist in 6 games versus Colorado last season? He's also had some issues with his coach. I'd rather stay on our current path of building from within and with character players like Higgins and McDonagh.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
brownman*

Prior to the last post-season, Gaborik had 12 goals and 9 assists in 23 games.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Rayne*

Kypreos picked Calgary over Montreal in the cup final.

Calgary....

Nuff said.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Kypreos picked Calgary over Montreal in the cup final.

Calgary....

Nuff said.
Oh was that his 89 Prediciton or 86?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Higgins may score 30 but its not a given. Gaborik can score 40 on a defensive-minded team. Gaborik is one of the most dynamic and talented players in the league, Higgins is not. Gaborik is a franchise player...and so forth.

Imagine teams trying to stop BOTH the Kovalev line and a Gaborik/Tanguay line. Please think about it for a second. We're trying to win a Cup here and Gaborik would instantly make Montreal the favourites.

Again this is a franchise player for a 2nd liner and a prospect. And with all the UFA's next season Gainey could easily re-sign Gaborik, it wouldn't be a problem.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Oh was that his 89 Prediciton or 86?

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

It's fantasy Pre-season, a lot of people getting their fantasy posting into regular season form.

We should have some good representation at the Dreamer All Star game this year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 06:32 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan View Post
Anyone seen the preview show last night?
some interesting talk:

1. Gabby won't sign in Minne. Look for Gainey to go after him.
2. Habs will be a good team but not built for the playoffs, according to the ex BJ GM, who I don't put any faith in because he is a bad GM.
3. Don Lever says Grabovski needs a lot of work because lacking skill without the puck. They don't think he can be Leafs 2nd line centre.
4. Tanguay is soft (lacking mental toughness) and if he was better, he'd still be in Calgary. They stressed that only 1 goal in 13 playoff games and barely mentioned the 8 assists as well.
5. Gainey didn't want the Sundin circus to continue into the pre-season and Lang is just a temporary fix for their need for a RH shot. Gainey may still persue him.
Kypreos also said he doesn't think the acquistion of Robert Lang meant that the Canadiens were done with their pursuit of Mats Sundin, and, in fact, when asked where they thought Sundin would end up (and all thought he would play rather then retire) Mike Brophy said Montreal.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 06:39 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I would honestly not take ANYTHING that that hockey panel says seriously. The only one that can give an interesting comment is the guy who is (or was) with the Hockey News... the guy with the goatee.

The rest.... pffff.

Take any serious fan who can string together a few sentences with saying "ahhh" "ummm" and you have someone who's opinion is of equal worth.
As bad as that panel is - and it is bad - it should be noted that Kypreos, regardless of what you think of him as a broadcaster he is *very* connected within the NHL.

There's a reason he's the only guy that was able to get an on-camera sit down with Mats Sundin. When the trade deadline comes, Sportsnet routinely beats TSN in terms of breaking trades. And in some cases they win that battle by a landslide and that is entirely thanks to Nick Kypreos. The guy is connected with players and management types and he breaks a ton of trades as a result.

If Nick Kypreos says they are pursuing Marian Gaborik there's no doubt in my mind that they are.

And, for the record, Kypreos called Minnesota not being able to resign him half way through LAST season. He's been saying, adamantly, that the Wild will not be able to retain him and will have to trade him. Now, six months later, exactly what he's said is unfolding (the Wild can't extend him.)

Old
09-29-2008, 06:45 PM
TheGoalJudge

Kypreos is good. I don't get the hate. He is connected.

TheGoalJudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I think the hate stems from his awkwardness on air. He's simply not a polished broadcaster despite years of doing it. It seems clear now that he's not going to get any better, that's just the way he is.

But the fact of the matter is, in terms of players in the NHL nobody is connected better. What Bob McKenzie is to management/agent types, Kypreos is to the players.

Kypreos, unfortunately, has spent the bulk of his broadcast career surrounded by idiots like Daren Dreger, Darren Millard and Bill Watters, which have unfairly tarnished his reputation.

Old
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
He's connected, but he's not a very smart man. He should stick to reporting what he hears instead of giving his opinion.