HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upcoming waivers open Saturday

Old
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Upcoming waivers open Saturday

Any activity from our end? There should be a lot of activity at least for other teams in the league. Could we be tempted by that to fill that 4th line centerman position if the org. feels that Lapierre and Chipchura can't do the job? Ryan Stone from the Pens will be available and while he doesn't seem to have the offensive touch some thought he would, the kid is a pretty big 6'2'' centerman with tons of grit. Who else is scheduled to up there that could be somewhat interesting?

Or should we already be prepared to see Lapierre at that position by default even though he's really average from what we've saw and hear so far and even though Chipchura has some fine but moreso some bad moments as well.

Any link people can provide so we could be updated to whoever go on that waiver wire as it happen?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I doubt we claim anyone. Chipchura, Lapierre, and Begin are all capable of playing fourth line center for us. Plus we have too many fourth line bodies with those 3, Laraque, Kostopoulos, Stewart, and ... *gulp* Dandenault. Any risk someone grabs Denis?

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Riverboat Gambler

I like your identification of Stone. He's sort of what Lapierre could be in the physical and fighting department. Lapierre probably offers a little more offence and upside. All and all, in this example, I'd probably rather give Lapierre another year to see how he improves.

Chipchura, is in a tight spot. With player's bonuses counting against the cap, I believe his hard cap number is higher than last year. Plus the Habs have added a couple of free agents. Because of this, we all know him making the team is far from a sure thing. He's got to be one of the best forwards in camp to make the team. I don't know what's best in terms of his devlopment (NHL part time player vs. AHL regular) but I'd say there's more chance he'll be in Hamilton (with a slight chance his play fits too well with the current line-up)

At this point though, they're both so young, and at least Chipchura is not out of options so I'd be inclined to keep both. I think Gainey/Carbo like Lapierre and I'm sure they like Chipchura.

This time next year, if Lapierre still finds himself on somewhat of a bubble he's expendable.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Chipchura, is in a tight spot. With player's bonuses counting against the cap, I believe his hard cap number is higher than last year. Plus the Habs have added a couple of free agents. Because of this, we all know him making the team is far from a sure thing. He's got to be one of the best forwards in camp to make the team. I don't know what's best in terms of his devlopment (NHL part time player vs. AHL regular) but I'd say there's more chance he'll be in Hamilton (with a slight chance his play fits too well with the current line-up)

At this point though, they're both so young, and at least Chipchura is not out of options so I'd be inclined to keep both. I think Gainey/Carbo like Lapierre and I'm sure they like Chipchura.

This time next year, if Lapierre still finds himself on somewhat of a bubble he's expendable.
No, still 0.943...

And I would take anyone on waivers...we have many options within the organization...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

If we hadn't signed Brisebois, I would have taken a flyer on Thomas Pock out of New York who has again failed to stick in the NHL. I believe he needs to be waived, and could have made a good #7. Now there's no room though.

Edit: Couple of early interesting names in Konopka and Bochenski on waivers.

We've got tons of depth though. Maybe we could make 4 offensive lines after all. Who needs grinders?!

Last edited by Dan K: 09-26-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old
09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
DrMailloux

Lapierre and Chipchura would play as 3rd line center in most nhl team... Of course they can do the job on the 4th line.

There can be interesting project in the waivers but i think we are past this point, we want to win now. I think the best moves by Gainey have been trading picks for players.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:53 PM
BORAT

haha ... I hope the leafs waive the Finger ...

Jeff Finger that is ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Artyukhin*

if Crosby or Vinny is put on waivers i think we should take a gamble on one .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:28 AM
DJFP
Registered DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
if Crosby or Vinny is put on waivers i think we should take a gamble on one .
naw wouldnt make sense, crosby is a small soft forward of which we have to many and lecavs is injury prone and wouldnt fit our system anyways

Besides we need more french players, but lats and laps should be waived

DJFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:30 AM
Marksman

If 20+ other teams pass on Crosby/Lecavalier, I think we should too. Scrubs.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Apparently I'm supposed to say: Nobody is going to take Jonathan Ferland.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:24 AM
rocketlives

I would consider Stewart as being presently ahead of Lapierre and Begin who by the way should both be wingers and not centers.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
I would consider Stewart as being presently ahead of Lapierre and Begin who by the way should both be wingers and not centers.
Three bold opinions in one sentence. Well done. That said I strongly disagree on all counts. (Okay maybe Lapierre on the wing if he can't learn to take faceoffs.)

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Apparently I'm supposed to say: Nobody is going to take Jonathan Ferland.
I was expecting that....don't know why.....

Old
09-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Bingo-bango: 15th post in this thread and, dont you know it, Latendresse is fat and slow.

There... now please go on.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Bingo-bango: 15th post in this thread and, dont you know it, Latendresse is fat and slow.

There... now please go on.
Maybe so but by chance we have Glumac who rocks...

There....now really please go on....

Old
09-29-2008, 09:50 PM
la25ecoupe

What is 'clear waivers'?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
CPrice

I dont know what it is but I don't really like Lapierre. I hope he picks it up this year (I know he is a fourth liner) but it seems like he always gets chances and has the puck but can't finish. And he never passes on 2 on 1's which pisses me right off

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I don't anticipate us picking up anyone as I think that we have players in the organization who are much better than those being put on waivers.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dandenault and/or Kostopoulos being put on waivers...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I don't anticipate us picking up anyone as I think that we have players in the organization who are much better than those being put on waivers.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dandenault and/or Kostopoulos being put on waivers...
I can't see Kosto going on waivers.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'd keep Kostopoulos ahead of Begin and Dandy. Hopefully Dandy is gone as of this weekend. Don't dislike the guy, but I think it's time to cut ties with him. I think he'd be a good fit in LA, but that's just me.

Little chance anybody picks up Denis, but there may be a risk on re-entry should we ever call him up if some team is having goalie issues at the time.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
What is 'clear waivers'?
A guy with sufficient NHL experience or of a sufficient age has to be put on waivers to be sent down to Hamilton from Montreal. This means every other team has the opportunity to put in a claim for the player, and then thay acquire him without giving any asset in return. They have to pay his salary and take his cap hit though.

If no one puts in a claim for the player, he "clears waivers", and can be sent down to Hamilton.

Old
09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
A guy with sufficient NHL experience or of a sufficient age has to be put on waivers to be sent down to Hamilton from Montreal. This means every other team has the opportunity to put in a claim for the player, and then thay acquire him without giving any asset in return. They have to pay his salary and take his cap hit though.

If no one puts in a claim for the player, he "clears waivers", and can be sent down to Hamilton.
Thanks! Makes sense

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I'd keep Kostopoulos ahead of Begin and Dandy. Hopefully Dandy is gone as of this weekend. Don't dislike the guy, but I think it's time to cut ties with him. I think he'd be a good fit in LA, but that's just me.

Little chance anybody picks up Denis, but there may be a risk on re-entry should we ever call him up if some team is having goalie issues at the time.
I'm sure Kostopoulos can switch to the left. He is on my roster for the 4th line duty.
Plays with an edge, pure hussle and he is a team guy. you never waive this guy at this point. He likes it here, likes the fan and city. Play great in his role.

My 4th line option would be:
#1 Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque
#2Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Lapierre could well be replace by Chiper. I only penciled him cause he was suposly ahead of Chiper. Not sure now.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I'm sure Kostopoulos can switch to the left. He is on my roster for the 4th line duty.
Plays with an edge, pure hussle and he is a team guy. you never waive this guy at this point. He likes it here, likes the fan and city. Play great in his role.

My 4th line option would be:
#1 Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque
#2Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Lapierre could well be replace by Chiper. I only penciled him cause he was suposly ahead of Chiper. Not sure now.
While Laraque is injured the no2 is my option too...

when he comes back Begin will probably be hurt by then... if not, alternate Kosto and him... whoever play better...

Anyway we'll have some injuries so I suspect all 4 (Lappy, BGL, Kosto and Begin) to see their fair amount of games (50+ each)

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote