HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson

Old
09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
I know the media have to sell stories, but I think the TO media have gotten into such a pattern of asking the same questions every year, and not having an admittedly (by coaching and management) rebuilding team, they know what else to ask.

Any chance that he pretty much stops having the scrums if the Media don't change their questions?

I think Wilson would rather have more questions about how certain players are developing, rather than questions in relation to winning and line combinations. I'm trying to think of the last Toronto coach who told the media "We aren't going to make playoffs/Win Stanley Cup" at the beginning of the year. Maurice talked about playoffs being a "dogfight", but didn't say nearly what Wilson has said.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:27 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Wilson keeps preaching "If your not willing to block shots and play defence you'll be watching the games from the press box".

Anyone actually believe he'll sit the vets (i.e Kaberle, Kubina, etc) who actually don't sacrifice their bodies?
I don't think he'll plant them on the bench for 2 or 3 periods, but they'll miss a power play, or sit for 5-10 minutes. They will get the point. Guys used to every 1/3rd shift really notice missing 3 or 4 shifts more than a 4th liner misses 5 minutes of a game.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I don't think he'll plant them on the bench for 2 or 3 periods, but they'll miss a power play, or sit for 5-10 minutes. They will get the point. Guys used to every 1/3rd shift really notice missing 3 or 4 shifts more than a 4th liner misses 5 minutes of a game.
I hope he uses that strategy with all players on the team not just the grinders and fringe players.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Howly17

I like Wilson a lot more to be honest. He seems like a take no crap kinda coach who just tells them straight up if they take lazy hooking penalties and don't work they're going to be benched, and its working; everyone actually skates now it seems..

I suppose the tone was set when the unfulfilled potential that was a lazy Wellwood was cut.. The guy just seems more genuine if that's the word to describe it, more so than Maurice who came across as more of a politician and media buddy.. It's refreshing and I enjoy his defensive work ethic; less time in our zone = more in theirs haha

Howly17 is offline   Reply With Quote