HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet preview show

Old
09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
and the fact that we are still potentially going after Sundin is also big news.
with what money? there is still a salary cap right?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Too much? Are you crazy? This is Marian Gaborik we are talking about here. A 26 year old 42 goal scorer possibly the fastest and most electrifying player in the league (after Ovechkin). A player who would easily hit 50 goals on a team this offensively focused and gifted.

But really a 2nd line winger and prospect is way too much for that kind of talent...
He has a history of groin problems too..... buyer beware......

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
with what money? there is still a salary cap right?
Maybe he's gonna pull a Forsberg and come back at the deadline. Give him 2 million.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Higgins may score 30 but its not a given. Gaborik can score 40 on a defensive-minded team. Gaborik is one of the most dynamic and talented players in the league, Higgins is not. Gaborik is a franchise player...and so forth.

Imagine teams trying to stop BOTH the Kovalev line and a Gaborik/Tanguay line. Please think about it for a second. We're trying to win a Cup here and Gaborik would instantly make Montreal the favourites.

Again this is a franchise player for a 2nd liner and a prospect. And with all the UFA's next season Gainey could easily re-sign Gaborik, it wouldn't be a problem.
So should we just let Komisarek, Kovy, Koivu, and Tanguay walk away just to get our hands on an injury prone player who would cost us $8 million long-term who doesn't get along with his coach? No thanks. I'd rather keep that money to sign two of the aforementioned UFA's and give raises to Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura and other character players who are soon to be RFA's and know all about playing the game in hockey crazy Montreal.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:39 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I think the hate stems from his awkwardness on air.
And his poor in-game analysis stemming from a lack of skill, knowledge, etc.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the NHL can resolve the contractual situation with Alexander Radulov, I'd go all out for him. A few factors making me think that he would be a great fit here:
  • He's only 21
  • He's apparently learned his lesson as rumour has it that he wants back in the NHL
  • He's a kid in need of mentoring and we have a strong Russian contingent in Kovalev, Markov and company
  • He has played his junior hockey in the "Q", so he knows the province
  • He's a potential franchise player

I'd be willing to pay the big price for that kid. Not so sure about Gaborik who is a UFA at the end of the season and who's been suffering from groin problems for a while now.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Kypreos picked Calgary over Montreal in the cup final.

Calgary....

Nuff said.
What, he took a probable playoff team to surprise and win the Cup? That never happens, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.

I'm not saying they're my pick from the West, but it's not an idiotic pick either. He didn't say LA, for crying out loud.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
What, he took a probable playoff team to surprise and win the Cup? That never happens, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.
He picks Calgary every year. He's stuck in 2004. The Flames will not come close to winning the cup. Even if they make the playoffs (not a certainty by any stretch), they'll be a 1st round exit as usual.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
He picks Calgary every year. He's stuck in 2004. The Flames will not come close to winning the cup. Even if they make the playoffs (not a certainty by any stretch), they'll be a 1st round exit as usual.
Ah, so he must be a complete and utter idiot, then. Sorry.

Old
09-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Ah, so he must be a complete and utter idiot, then. Sorry.
I thought that was common knowledge.

Old
09-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
I thought that was common knowledge.
Getting serious for a sec, I must admit I used to really dislike him but he's somehow grown on me. Not to the point I like him, but he doesn't make me change the channel anymore.

Maybe it's the Darren Dreger effect. I know I hate that guy more and more every time he's on the tube, so maybe I only have so much hate to dish around.

Old
09-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Getting serious for a sec, I must admit I used to really dislike him but he's somehow grown on me. Not to the point I like him, but he doesn't make me change the channel anymore.

Maybe it's the Darren Dreger effect. I know I hate that guy more and more every time he's on the tube, so maybe I only have so much hate to dish around.
It's not just him I dislike, it's pretty much all of Sportsnet. The broadcasters for the games they air are just terrible, save for Hughson when he was doing Canucks games. Some of the other cup final picks were pretty bad too. Sharks over Rangers? Pens (no Gonchar or Whitney for half the season) over Wings? What?

Old
09-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
It's not just him I dislike, it's pretty much all of Sportsnet. The broadcasters for the games they air are just terrible, save for Hughson when he was doing Canucks games. Some of the other cup final picks were pretty bad too. Sharks over Rangers? Pens (no Gonchar or Whitney for half the season) over Wings? What?
So no one picked the Wings to win it? That's pretty surprising!

Old
09-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
So no one picked the Wings to win it? That's pretty surprising!
I think 2 of them picked Detroit, but the majority picked other teams.

Old
09-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
I think 2 of them picked Detroit, but the majority picked other teams.
I hope they don't have a good year. Mostly due to the Cup winner, oh, I don't know, signing freaking Hossa.

Hopefully they'll destroy in the regular season and fail in the playoffs. It's happened before.

Old
10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
And his poor in-game analysis stemming from a lack of skill, knowledge, etc.
I couldn't disagree with you more. You can knock his lack of smoothness on the air, but there's nothing wrong whatsoever with his analysis. He clearly knows what he's talking about.

To suggest he has a lack of skill... skill at what, hockey? Do you have the faintest idea what you are talking about?

The guy had a 60-goal season in the OHL. You think that's a lack of skill? He scored 49 goals in 46 games and piled up 90 points his last season in the OHL. 90 points and over a goal-a-game in his final year of Junior hockey. Make no mistake, he had plenty of skill. At the NHL level, he was cast in the role of fighter cause he was always tough and his skating made being a top six forward a long shot. One season with the Hartford Whalers Kyrpeos scored 17 goals despite the fact he spent 325 minutes in the penalty box. There's no question the guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to the NHL.

The question is... do you?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the NHL can resolve the contractual situation with Alexander Radulov, I'd go all out for him. A few factors making me think that he would be a great fit here:
  • He's only 21
  • He's apparently learned his lesson as rumour has it that he wants back in the NHL
  • He's a kid in need of mentoring and we have a strong Russian contingent in Kovalev, Markov and company
  • He has played his junior hockey in the "Q", so he knows the province
  • He's a potential franchise player

I'd be willing to pay the big price for that kid. Not so sure about Gaborik who is a UFA at the end of the season and who's been suffering from groin problems for a while now.
This dude keep reading my mind, i've had enough!

Seriously that would be THE move to make. For all the reasons you mentioned, plus Patrick Roy was Radulov's mentor in Quebec city and with Roy making amends with the Habs, something could be arranged with Patrick so he can talk to Radu. And he's a diamond on the rough in that he did not break records in the NHL but the potential is there for him to become a star.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 05:02 AM
brownman*

I'm well aware of what Kypreos accomplished in junior. None of that, however, makes up for his less than stellar analysis of the game. Ex-NHLer status doesn't bestow ability to effectively, and sometimes correctly, express views or ideas.

Of course, who knows, maybe he's improved over the last few years. I wouldn't know, I stick to the network that's strives for relative perfection.

Old
10-03-2008, 07:43 AM
BLONG7

Kipper is an opinionated ex-NHL'er, and seems obnoxious and arrogant at times. He is a young Don Cherry with a Cup ring from his Ranger days...he can be entertaining for sure, the one thing I have never liked, is he a PA cheerleader ala Healy...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I'm well aware of what Kypreos accomplished in junior. None of that, however, makes up for his less than stellar analysis of the game. Ex-NHLer status doesn't bestow ability to effectively, and sometimes correctly, express views or ideas.

Of course, who knows, maybe he's improved over the last few years. I wouldn't know, I stick to the network that's strives for relative perfection.
Is that the network that hired Darren Dreger?!?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Lone Rogue

I'm really not sold on Gaborik due to his health. Is there any inclination that his previous injury troubles are over?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:54 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Is that the network that hired Darren Dreger?!?
Yes, the one with Bob McKenzie, Pierre McGuire, Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, etc

Old
10-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Yes, the one with Bob McKenzie, Pierre McGuire, Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, etc
I still don't and never have gotten why people like Cuthbert so much, his voice sucks and has bothered me for like 20 years. I know no one will agree with me, but I hate him. That high register he goes into when he gets excited, ugh.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Apparently we are still pursuing Tretiak as well. At this point, it's a long shot but he'd look great as our #1 and Price as #2. He gets along well with his grandson, Alex.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 09:33 AM
couz

I like Higgins alot, people put him too high on a pedastal thinking he can be a 35 goal guy or something.

But he's a guy who can get 25-30 and plays the game well and a good character aswell as a true Hab...I'm not sold on giving up on him for a guy like Gaborik.

I knoe Gaborik has more talent but there's other factors to take into account, like Gaborik being a little difficult to coach apparently, injuries etc...

couz is offline   Reply With Quote