HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another shot at Tanguay from the Flames

Old
09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 500
Another shot at Tanguay from the Flames

Not only do I hope Tanguay puts up 100 points, but I officially want the Flames to crash and burn this year.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...29621-sun.html

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
You want a team to crash and burn because people who have played with Tanguay for 2 years have (in their eyes, probably) an accurate description of him? You bitter little man. You think he was some sort of power forward who gave his all consistantly last year? If you do then you`re sorely mistaken

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Oh well, they can think what they want of him, we'll have one year, hopefully more to see what he's like (Unless it's bad, then only 1 year)

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
You want a team to crash and burn because people who have played with Tanguay for 2 years have (in their eyes, probably) an accurate description of him? You bitter little man. You think he was some sort of power forward who gave his all consistantly last year? If you do then you`re sorely mistaken
While I respect Regehr's talents, he is a moron if he expected Tanguay to be something he is not. You must know what to expect from players and you'll never get toughness from Tanguay, thats not the player he is, so why bash him for it? Nor from Huselius for that matter.

Tanguay is a legitimate first line winger in this league, something that NONE of the wingers they acquired are at this stage in their careers.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I should have clarified. I've always had no love for the Flames- they stole Cup #25 (#24 at the time) in 1989. I work in a Southern Alberta city and am surrounded by Flames fans who laugh that Montreal gave up a first rounder for Tanguay.

What purpose did it serve for Regher to make those statements? Maybe he could have qualified his statement by saying that the Flames may have missed the playoffs completely had it not been for those two "soft" players.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Trying to fit Tanguay into Calgary's system was like trying to place a square peg into a round hole. Lucky for us his style of play should fit ours like a glove, so I'm looking for him to have a big year.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
otto bond

was not a shot in my book. Tanguay will not crash and bang. Calgary was a very low scoring team so yeup, they don't need skilled players. I wander where they will finish in the PK this year.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McTusk

Haha, yeah lets see how Bertuzzi works out.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Not only do I hope Tanguay puts up 100 points, but I officially want the Flames to crash and burn this year.

Yeah because Todd Bertuzzi is a lot better on forecheck than Tanguay...

They lacked offensive depth last year and they have even less now, not sure how that makes them better.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

No biggie....let them criticize Tanguay all they want. If they think him leaving made their team better, so be it.

His addition to the Habs improves them, because he is a better fit to their style of play.

Tanguay under Keenan.....like that was gonna work.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
No biggie....let them criticize Tanguay all they want. If they think him leaving made their team better, so be it.

His addition to the Habs improves them, because he is a better fit to their style of play.

Tanguay under Keenan.....like that was gonna work.
Fixed

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Fixed
whoops...thanks.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Dynasty

I don't find it in any way an attack on Tanguay...He's implying in the article that Tanguay is a very talented and skilled player who just doesn't fit into the style of hockey which the Flames are trying to get back to, just like some people on here thought that Ryder didn't fit into the Habs style of play anymore.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Habs

Quote:

I kind of agree with everything Regehr was saying though.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Haddock

Regher's right in a way but you can't expect everyone on a hockey team to be a grinder who throws his body around. Nobody cares if Joe Sakic plays his game the way he plays it instead of jumping all over the place. People in Calgary who coldn't appreciate the talent level of a player like Alex Tanguay deserve a team made up of players like Todd Bertuzzi and the Craig Conroys of this world. I'll take a fast and talented team over that any day.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Riverboat Gambler

None of the Flamers players specifically mention Tanguay. The paper points out which players have left.

They use more general terms (some softer players, skill players something like that).

They are trying to carve themselves a new identity as an abrasive physical team, and they're talking about that. It's more a question of style of play and fit with the Flamers new direction.

Reading between the lines: You're right, Tanguay although not really identified is one of the guys Flamers players mean.

What's questionable: The Flamers players who have no cups seem to think they are better equiped to win a cup without someone who has experienced this and has in fact won a cup (maybe two?)

There is more than one road to a destination. Let the Flamers take the dirt road.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
couz

Tanguay wasn't a good fit in Calgary...doesn't take anything away from the fact he's been a consistent point producer throughout his career.

Hey we say the same thing about Ryder now, he's inconsistent, one dimentionnal etc...

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Nobody noticed the obvious contradiction here?

Regher is complaining about playing better defense, yet Tanguay finished +11.

Losing Hammer will make your D squad a bit softer too.

Oh and the real problem with the flames, is their lack of talented depth. This is what Regher should have been saying. He's pointing the finger at the wrong culprits.

Did any of you look at their bottom 6 last season? Boyd -11, Yelle -4, Moss -4, Primeau -3, Nystrom -5, Smith -6, Godard -8.

Oh and Lombardi was -6. On defense, Eriksson was -5 and Warrener -2.

Yet it was Tanguay (+11) and Huselius's (+10) fault!??!?!?

Regher will start crying up again this year when he'll realize it's not the softness that was the problem, but the lack of talented depth.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
I should have clarified. I've always had no love for the Flames- they stole Cup #25 (#24 at the time) in 1989. I work in a Southern Alberta city and am surrounded by Flames fans who laugh that Montreal gave up a first rounder for Tanguay.

What purpose did it serve for Regher to make those statements? Maybe he could have qualified his statement by saying that the Flames may have missed the playoffs completely had it not been for those two "soft" players.
Tell them that you are laughing that the Flames took Greg Nemisz with the pick!

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Joe Cole

That comment is just counter productive and classless. It says more about Regehr than it does about Tanguay.

If the Mike Fisher of the Sens can do a whole interview about last year and not slam Emery, you would think the Flames could do the same for Tanguay.

Sheesh.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM
znk

Absolutely nothing wrong with that article.
Quote:
"We moved out some really skilled players, but they were players also that didn't fit our new philosophy as a team," the big blueliner said yesterday, before the team took off to Edmonton for tonight's pre-season matchup against the Oilers.

"They were also players that were a little soft sometimes, and that didn't really bode well for us in the tough games and also in the playoffs."

"I think we have a team that's a little bit better suited to playing the way we want," said Regehr.

"We wanted to play the same style last year, it's just that some of the players we had don't do that -- they've never been asked to do that and that's not in their nature as a player."
Makes perfect sense. This is not a shot at anyone it's just solid reasoning.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Seriously, who cares what they think of Tanguay?

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheCH*

Tanguay is not the type to crash and bang, but he better not shy away from other teams doing it to him in the playoffs.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
MonaHan Solo
I am your KING

That's a shot at Tanguay?

Wow, a little sensitive are we?

MonaHan Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I don't see what the problem is. Regher and the Flames want their team to be grittier and Huselius and Tanguay doesn't fit that profile. Habs prefer to go with speed and skill. Every team decided whatever style they want to play and acquire and release guys based on that. Again, what's the problem? I really don't see how that phrase is that big of a Tanguay bashing "We wanted to play the same style last year, it's just that some of the players we had don't do that -- they've never been asked to do that and that's not in their nature as a player." In the end, it gave us the possibility to acquire another guy that fits our philosophy and it gives them the possibility to do the same.

Because of that, we were able to get Tanguay for 2 draft picks....shouldn't we praise them for doing so? If they believe that it's the way to go, well we will see about that. If they think that Bertuzzi is their answer, so be it for them. Chances are, Regher and the Flames will comeback after this season saying that it takes a little bit of everything to have a successful team.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote