Aucoin rumors...again

Old
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
Aucoin rumors...again

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...8-fea9a4326bc0

Quote:
When he takes note of eight one-way contracts worth a total of $25 million, he realizes something has to give.

"A lot of guys are thinking about it," said Aucoin, who will make $4 million in the final season of a deal signed with the Chicago Blackhawks in 2005, "but something's going to happen sooner or later. I think everybody knows they have to do what they do best and something's going to happen.

"Obviously, (general manager Darryl Sutter) will have to make a hard decision. It's not going to be easy, but hopefully whoever it is, he's going to find some greener grass somewhere else."

One report suggested Aucoin, despite no-trade protection, would be the guy to go, with the Los Angeles Kings the most likely suitor.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
AZCOYOT

Define rumor.. is it something made up by a member of the media based on probability? or words actually being spoken by members of a certain front office through the grapevine?

It's not hard to figure out that LA needs D, and has to hit the cap basement..

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:37 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I'd rather keep Aucoin to start the season. After Phaneuf he is the only other puck moving d-man (Giordano needs to prove himself). I realize his contract isn't the greatest, but with Nilson and one or both of Eriksson, Warrener gone the flames would be under the cap.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:26 AM
in on the beat

I'd rather keep Aucoin then Warrener/Primeau etc...

The guy is a proven top four.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:45 PM
AZCOYOT

Yeah if Aucoin goes i'll be disappointed.

Old
09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Qubax

Oh man I'd trade Aucoin in a heartbeat. He really did turn things around last year after a poor first half,...but 4 million dollars? Deal him in a heartbeat!

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Oh man I'd trade Aucoin in a heartbeat. He really did turn things around last year after a poor first half,...but 4 million dollars? Deal him in a heartbeat!
Who's going to step in and score his near 40 points? Giordano? maybe but I wouldn't want to have only one proven offensive Dman on this team.

Old
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
Who's going to step in and score his near 40 points? Giordano? maybe but I wouldn't want to have only one proven offensive Dman on this team.
Tecnically, just sticking Cammi on the point on the powerplay could cover for that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Aucoin leave. But it comes down to the return being worth it.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
saillias

I don't see the purpose in dumping Aucoin right now. At this point, the idea of having Vandermeer, Giordano (until proven otherwise), Eriksson, Warrener, or Pardy in our top 4 is pretty scary. I'm sure Sutter feels the same. The offense he provides on a right-handed shot is invaluable.

For 4 million, that's basically what you get; Aucoin is just fair value. Not overpaid or underpaid, but just fair. There are cheaper and better options to dump.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Miko

The statement “somethings got to give” rings so true.Simply put there are just to many defenseman here and not enough spots.

There are a couple of teams that could use an Aucoin and have the cap space for his contract .I could see the blues being interested in Aucoins services ,perhaps even more so now that E.J is gone for the year.LA as already mentioned seems like a realistic destination for Aucoin .Pittsburgh has a couple of their offensive defensman out with long term injuries so its entirely possible that they could be in the mix as well.

That said who knows how everything will play out but the next couple of days are going to interesting as far as roster spots play out.I have a strange feeling that it might be Warrener that’s going,I just hope Eriksson is gone too.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Hyperkookeez*

hes got 1 year left

and is useful...imo, the flames could get a better return at the trade deadline

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I don't see the purpose in dumping Aucoin right now. At this point, the idea of having Vandermeer, Giordano (until proven otherwise), Eriksson, Warrener, or Pardy in our top 4 is pretty scary. I'm sure Sutter feels the same. The offense he provides on a right-handed shot is invaluable.

For 4 million, that's basically what you get; Aucoin is just fair value. Not overpaid or underpaid, but just fair. There are cheaper and better options to dump.
Digging a little deeper, it might not be as easy as somebody saying "oh, geez, I'd rather dump Warrener and Primeau," who would require bringing back salary for salary. Obviously, there has to be a market. Aucoin, despite his $4MM, is at least a tradeable asset. Sutter, like any GM doing his job, is considering transactions for what it will set up next. Since this story is pure speculation, probably borne out of legitimate discussions. Aucoin's name keeps popping up so often that there must be something to it. Besides, they need payroll relief. Just don't assume that if Aucoin gets unloaded that the team will automatically be down to Vandermeer, Giordano, Eriksson and Warrener for depth. It's sometimes fun to read the rumors boards, but the trades that most often happen involve players/teams, who weren't even discussed publicly.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:48 AM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
hes got 1 year left

and is useful...imo, the flames could get a better return at the trade deadline
If they are anywhere near the playoffs I doubt he would get traded then..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote