HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luca Sbisa

View Poll Results: When decision time comes, will he stay in the NHL or be sent back to juniors?
Yes, he will stay with the Flyers 98 75.38%
No, he will be sent back to juniors 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2008, 10:47 AM
  #76
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I dont think its possible to not like pizza. I have this one friend who says he hates pizza, but he'll eat it whenever its there.

Point being, I think Luca likes pizza as well

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:48 AM
  #77
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Man, all you people calling for Sbisa to make the tem next year are just plain crazy. I guarrentee he'll still be in juniors next year and he'll most likely spend at least 1 full year in the minors before getting a full time spot on the Flyers. Sbisa is good, definitely projected to be a top 4 dman with potential to be a top 2 but that's a long long ways away. He'll most likely be a good blend between offensive and defensive play much like Coburn. While Coburn is slightly more of a defensive player than an offensive player, Sbisa will probably be a little bit more of an offensive player than a defensive player. Franchise dmen SOMETIMES can leave juniors early and jump straight to the NHL but that's a lot more rare than most of you must realize. We aren't talking about another Phaneuf here guys, he's more like Coburn and will need time to develope. Once he gets here, if we put him with a partner who can help him along early, he should progress very rapidly just like Coburn did. However, just remember, Coburn was nowhere near ready for the NHL at 19 years old and that's what you are expecting of this kid next year. It just isn't going to happen. Just remember, 2 years ago we called Parent up at the end of the season and he looked pretty good in the game (I think) against Buffalo. He still hasn't shown he's ready to be burdoned with carrying the 2nd pairing nearly 2 years later. Be patient. Sbisa will get here, just not for a few years. I think that in 2-3 years both he and Marshall will be getting roster spots. Jones is here for the next 2 years. Once his current contract is up we should have Sbisa and Marshall ready to take his spot. Face that facts guys, Jones is keeping a spot warm for either Marshall or Sbisa when they are ready, but that's not for at least 2 years.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:36 PM
  #78
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Yeah you do realise that every player is different though right? Sbisa is making NHL! defenseman and offenseman look silly out there. This kid has some fantastic tools to use. Maybe, just maybe he is better than what we already have out there. Looking at jones/kuks/berrad he could already be much better than these guys from what i've heard in the Granted it's preseason, but so far he has taken the spotlight from giroux.

Something nobody here thought he would do.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:38 PM
  #79
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
I say Sbisa is looking AWESOME!!!

That being said, 2 years in juniors and AHL sounds like a winner to me.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:47 PM
  #80
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Does he really need two years in juniors though? I mean yes he could do with filling out a little, but he can do that in a year. Come back in good shape next year with 20-30 pounds more, and make a push for a starting place on the team.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
  #81
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Does he really need two years in juniors though? I mean yes he could do with filling out a little, but he can do that in a year. Come back in good shape next year with 20-30 pounds more, and make a push for a starting place on the team.
He doesn't have a choice about junior if he doesn't make the team this year or next. He'll be too young for the AHL. Even next year, as good as he is, I don't see the team putting a 19 year old on defense full time.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
  #82
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Does he really need two years in juniors though? I mean yes he could do with filling out a little, but he can do that in a year. Come back in good shape next year with 20-30 pounds more, and make a push for a starting place on the team.
u do not gain 20-30 pound in a year, definitely w/o sacraficing speed.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:37 PM
  #83
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
I didn't realise i put 30, 20-25 pounds. Thats a solid year of work. You sacrifice speed yes, but entering the NHL with more weight and bigger size is definatly worth it more

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
  #84
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I didn't realise i put 30, 20-25 pounds. Thats a solid year of work. You sacrifice speed yes, but entering the NHL with more weight and bigger size is definatly worth it more
20-25 is still next to impossible while playing hockey every day. 10-15 is more realistic.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
  #85
Shoeny
Registered User
 
Shoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He doesn't have a choice about junior if he doesn't make the team this year or next. He'll be too young for the AHL. Even next year, as good as he is, I don't see the team putting a 19 year old on defense full time.
this is the reason why he won't make the team. if he has to get sent back after 10 games, he loses a year of rfa eligibility. its easier to hide a winger on a third line, kinda like williams or gagne did.

sbisa isnt the missing piece to the team. jones or eminger has to step up and be a legit threat on the second pairing with either stay at home defenseman, parent/vaananen. heres how i see it going down for opening night:

timonen-coburn
jones-parent
eminger-vaananen
berard

i see kukkonen getting traded or playing for the phantoms if hes got a two contract.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:04 PM
  #86
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
i see kukkonen getting traded or playing for the phantoms if hes got a two contract.
he'd have to go through waivers and would very likely get picked up

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
  #87
Shoeny
Registered User
 
Shoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
he'd have to go through waivers and would very likely get picked up
what defenseman other than parent has a two way contract bec theres obviously a log jam and an even bigger one if sbisa make the team

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
  #88
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
what defenseman other than parent has a two way contract bec theres obviously a log jam and an even bigger one if sbisa make the team
Sbisa isn't making the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
  #89
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Sbisa isn't making the team.
Not this year or next.

He is 19, he has much to learn, and I don't want his learning to cost us games.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:31 PM
  #90
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
Not this year or next.

He is 19, he has much to learn, and I don't want his learning to cost us games.
Anymore than Jones did? or Vandermeer? or Hatcher at times? or Briere? There are a PLETHORA of guys you could name that have cost us games that are anywhere from 5-6 years older to almost double his age. While I agree he shouldn't yet be on the team the fact of the matter is the kid can play despite his age. Age is a lowsy reason to stop him from making the team.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
  #91
King Fish
Registered User
 
King Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where's ma pizza?
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Sbisa isn't making the team.
I don't think he will make the team but simply because they don't to rush him. Does he have the ability (skill/smarts) to make the team? I think he does. 82 games a year takes some getting use to. He has out played and shown more than any defenceman out there other than Coburn and Timonen. I like Parent a lot, but Sbisa looks better at this point. He looks better than Jones and the others as well. It will be extremely difficult for him NOT to make the team next year.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:41 PM
  #92
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Anymore than Jones did? or Vandermeer? or Hatcher at times? or Briere? There are a PLETHORA of guys you could name that have cost us games that are anywhere from 5-6 years older to almost double his age. While I agree he shouldn't yet be on the team the fact of the matter is the kid can play despite his age. Age is a lowsy reason to stop him from making the team.
The difference is that you're stuck with those guys. For better or worse, they're on the team. Sbisa is easily returned to the dub to iron out any such weaknesses in his game and add some bulk to his frame.

And just so everyone knows and hopefully stops getting this wrong, he's 18, not 19.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
  #93
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I didn't realise i put 30, 20-25 pounds. Thats a solid year of work. You sacrifice speed yes, but entering the NHL with more weight and bigger size is definatly worth it more
he is playing hockey year round nearly everday. It is hard to put on wait if you do not really have a offseason

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
  #94
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
what defenseman other than parent has a two way contract bec theres obviously a log jam and an even bigger one if sbisa make the team
two way has nothing to do with it

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
  #95
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The difference is that you're stuck with those guys. For better or worse, they're on the team. Sbisa is easily returned to the dub to iron out any such weaknesses in his game and add some bulk to his frame.

And just so everyone knows and hopefully stops getting this wrong, he's 18, not 19.
I agree with you saying he should go back to work on some weaknesses and add bulk. . . my arguement was only about the age. The training kids now go through as compared to 5-10 years ago is astonishing. These guys who get drafted in the 1st two rounds can make immediate impacts on their team. Every few years training and nutrition and all that get better and more sophisticated and it is happening again in these last few drafts.

In any event, it isn't the age of the player that is the issue, just getting more and more playing time and getting their bodies ready is the real issue.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
  #96
Oylerz
Registered User
 
Oylerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
FWIW, I was listening to FAN590 out of Toronto today and they had a couple guys interviewing Paul Holmgren. He mentioned that there was a young D-man that was turning a lot of heads and looking like he might force them to make a very difficult decision.

Oylerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
  #97
flyersfan97
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz View Post
FWIW, I was listening to FAN590 out of Toronto today and they had a couple guys interviewing Paul Holmgren. He mentioned that there was a young D-man that was turning a lot of heads and looking like he might force them to make a very difficult decision.
I'm loving this. I can't help wondering if missing out on Pickard may turn into a very, very good thing for the Flyers.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
  #98
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 500
This is all just talk and maybe a little excitement from the organization. In the end, Homer and friends will do the right thing and send him to juniors, as tough as they may think it to be.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
  #99
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I agree with you saying he should go back to work on some weaknesses and add bulk. . . my arguement was only about the age. The training kids now go through as compared to 5-10 years ago is astonishing. These guys who get drafted in the 1st two rounds can make immediate impacts on their team. Every few years training and nutrition and all that get better and more sophisticated and it is happening again in these last few drafts.

In any event, it isn't the age of the player that is the issue, just getting more and more playing time and getting their bodies ready is the real issue.
Don't you see how age correlates to experience and developing one's body structure? On top of that, how many of these immediate impacts are defensemen? And how many play for good teams? If Sbisa were ready to come in and play that well with the big boys already, he wouldn't have slipped to us.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
  #100
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Don't you see how age correlates to experience and developing one's body structure? On top of that, how many of these immediate impacts are defensemen? And how many play for good teams? If Sbisa were ready to come in and play that well with the big boys already, he wouldn't have slipped to us.
I agree with you that he should go back, I think he needs to get stronger physically...as he definitely was getting knocked over too easily for someone with his skating ability. He needs to develop his core strength a bit.

That being said, the draft position isn't necessarily a good thing to cite for that. Mistakes are made in the draft and people fall who shouldn't fall.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.