HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - McCown: Balsillie buying Preds (Mod edit: Both sides deny rumour)

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Jim wasn't the only one yesterday who didn't fair well on the stock market; hard pressed to think of one who did well. RIM is a pretty sound company even in these uncertain market conditions, I wouldn't worry there.
Oh, no I didn't mean it that way. It wasn't a judgement on him or his company. No many are having good times right now. What I meant was I think he has more important things to worry financially than trying to buy a NHL franchise right now

Old
09-30-2008, 09:17 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
In terms of TV coverage, Sportsnet and Channel 11 (used to carry leaf games) out of Hamilton would be likely candidates.
CHCH games with Dick Beddoes! I remember the Wednesday night telecast, and the original Grapevine shows too. They will get TV coverage, I just don't see them getting good money for their coverage when 82 Leaf games are on TV, and therefore having another "Have Not" team looking for revenue sharing. I just don't see advertisers paying much to have commercials during Preds games.

Old
09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I wonder what new and exciting strategy Bettman wil come up with to block him this time. That guy does not desearve to be league commish.
Not a fan of the commish either. I completely understand the efforts put forth to create a market for the NHL in the states, and potentially increase revenues significantlly with a US television deal. Clearly he's failed miserably there, and I hope Balsile finally gets his wish. Wonder when the commish's contract expires?

Old
09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Jim wasn't the only one yesterday who didn't fair well on the stock market; hard pressed to think of one who did well. RIM is a pretty sound company even in these uncertain market conditions, I wouldn't worry there.
Campbells stock went up yesterday, soup is good food

Old
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
CHCH games with Dick Beddoes!
Damn, I hated Dick Beddoes

I remember one of his rants back in the early 80's where he was saying Wayne Gretzky sucked. When the interviewer asked him who he thought was the best player in the world, he mentioned Sergei Shepelev, some no-name Russian who never amounted to a thing. There was a Utube clip of it, but I can't seem to find it. Now if he had said Fetisov or Makarov, there might have been a case, but Sergei Shepelev! What a joke.

Old
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Tinalera

FYI(I don't know protocol for using someone elses quote) this thread popped up on the Business Boards. In that thread is a quote from Reps of both sides saying there is nothing to this story at all, that it came from "outer space".

One more reason not to listen to Mr McCowan IMO. Fan 590 are looking a bit foolish here.

Old
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post
They could with the help of London, Kitchener, Guelph, Burlington, Windsor, and yes - Hamilton.
london has the knights, kitchener the rangers... etc but hamilton has the Bulldogs, with an addition to the preds, the bulldogs would most likely be moved, and with the range between niagara falls and toronto, hamilton would be a better place to put a hockey team since they can build fans from the surrounding area, waterloo isn't a well known city throughout canada while hamilton is more well known.

trust me when i say this, it won't be in waterloo

Old
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
joepeps

this looks like another Rim Job

Old
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
FYI(I don't know protocol for using someone elses quote) this thread popped up on the Business Boards. In that thread is a quote from Reps of both sides saying there is nothing to this story at all, that it came from "outer space".

One more reason not to listen to Mr McCowan IMO. Fan 590 are looking a bit foolish here.
This quote, you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I deleted the comments about Hamilton, or anything that suggests the Preds might be moved. Hopefully the Nashville posters can add some more info from their sources, but at this point we're talking about a 20% stake. Once there's anything to suggest a move is possible, that part of the discussion can continue.

Thanks.
Sure, how's this?

Quote:
If you’re a Predators fan worried about the latest rumor out of Canada – the one that says Jim Balsillie is on the verge of buying the entire team – rest easy. There’s absolutely no truth to it.

I communicated with Predators owner David Freeman earlier this evening and his message was as follows: ``I can guarantee you he’s not in discussions to buy the Predators because I’ve never even spoken to the gentleman. The club is obviously not for sale.’’

Attorney Richard Rodier, who serves as a spokesman for Balsillie, said the same thing when I talked to him earlier this evening. He said the rumor, which originated on the Fan 590-AM in Toronto, ``came from outer space.’’

``There is not a scintilla of truth to that rumor,’’ Rodier said. ``Furthermore, we have never had any contact with Mr. Freeman or any of his partners or any of his representatives regarding the subject matter of this story. The Predators are firmly in the hands of Mr. Freeman and his partners and will remain so until they decide otherwise.’’
http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pl...tennessean.com
I say we stick a fork in it. Anything more develops, we can re-open it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Closed Thread