HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Opinions on the stride

Old
09-29-2008, 12:41 AM
BLEHockey

vCash: 500
Opinions on the stride

My dad says my technique is horrible, so he is making me literally sway my hole entire body into one side.... and to the next side, how will this help me learn the basics?

BLEHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:08 AM
deanosaur

Interesting.
I could see you having a "bad" stride if you're lower bed strength isn't great and you have poor technique. But by the sounds of that, that sounds it's only going to make it worse.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
BLEHockey

but he told me when I sway it forces me to put all my weight onto one stride, which will give me a bigger stride..... but what happens when I make a habit of this, and cant make my head straight

Old
09-29-2008, 11:31 AM
BLEHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Interesting.
I could see you having a "bad" stride if you're lower bed strength isn't great and you have poor technique. But by the sounds of that, that sounds it's only going to make it worse.

Well actually, Im guessing I do have strong lower bed, because even with this bad technique Im the fastest one on the ice.... just Its not pretty to look at! and I really want to change it.

Old
09-30-2008, 02:32 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Technique is much debated. One thing in the forward stride is that the upper body must lead where the lower body is going. You shouldn't be "swaying" the body, instead you need to be utilizing all the power on one side to drive/push forward. This sounds overly simply but is very much true. Consult Robbie Glantz or Sean Skinner's videos as proof.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
TheOtter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEHockey View Post
but he told me when I sway it forces me to put all my weight onto one stride, which will give me a bigger stride..... but what happens when I make a habit of this, and cant make my head straight
Is he having you do this as a temporary thing, or permanent? Sometimes making someone skate a certain way may seem silly, but the intent is to counteract some problem in their stride - kind of like tying your lower hand onto the stick if you have a tendency to skate around with only one hand on your stick all the time. It's not meant to be forever, but it can break the habit. If you're not loading up your leg on each stride, maybe he's trying to make you exaggerate the leg-loading by swaying.

Without seeing your stride, it's kind of hard to answer...

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote