HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

PRE-SEASON--St. Louis Blues @ Toronto Maple Leafs--7:30pm EST, Sept. 29/08

Old
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Newbury cleared NHL waivers and was sent to the Marlies along for Ondrus, Battaglia and a bunch of others yesterday..

Leafs are rebuilding and he is not even good enough to hold on to a spot as you say even as the 13th and /or 14th forward, and no other team in the NHL wanted to use him in that role either, or they would have claimed him.

I think that makes it pretty clear that he is not considered an NHL player by NHL GM's at this point. Had he been claimed its really no loss either as he is at best a marginal NHL at best, but a good AHL player though.

Same as your boy Williams, eh?

The flipside of that coin is that these guys simply weren't given a real chance, of course.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

The flipside of that coin is that these guys simply weren't given a real chance, of course.
I liked Williams, and hoped he would have made it, of course the previous GM was be rated for not playing him much, and here he is being waived a year later. I thought i remeber Fletch wanting to keep Williams on the roster last year (not sending him to the Marlies for the playoffs) with the risk of loosing him on waivers? Hope he can stick in the NHL, he really has a great shot.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post

I liked Williams, and hoped he would have made it, of course the previous GM was be rated for not playing him much, and here he is being waived a year later. I thought i remeber Fletch wanting to keep Williams on the roster last year (not sending him to the Marlies for the playoffs) with the risk of loosing him on waivers? Hope he can stick in the NHL, he really has a great shot.
I've been hoping Williams would crack the lineup as well but honestly he's been given a myriad of chances over the last 2-3 years. He just hasn't stepped up and should be let go at this point. No sense is sending him down the marlies because there isn't anything left for him to learn down there.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post

He doesn't show up when he needs to. He had a chance at camp, and hasn't risen to the occasion be in in pre-season games, or in practise (so it seems). On the other end, Mitchell is a perfect example of a player looking to snag a roster spot by coming out and impressing since day one.

Fletcher looks like he was mistaken with what he saw in Williams.

09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
He doesn't show up when he needs to. He had a chance at camp, and hasn't risen to the occasion be in in pre-season games, or in practise (so it seems). On the other end, Mitchell is a perfect example of a player looking to snag a roster spot by coming out and impressing since day one.

Fletcher looks like he was mistaken with what he saw in Williams.
I would have liked to have seen Williams with a set up man.

Leafs currently have zero set up men.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote