HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Team Morale Question

Old
09-14-2008, 02:41 AM
spjon25

vCash: 500
Team Morale Question

Hey all, had a question about some team morale stuff. We are getting to the end of the season and the morale with the guys on my team is pretty low. Some of the guys are looking to move to other teams because they have more ringers on those teams, and the league picked apart our team of our 3 best guys saying they were too good for our novice division. (Surprisingly, those guys just played well together and have scored squat in the next division up)

What should I do about this. Should I let these guys walk? We have some guys who have only played one season on this team, others have played the last 3 (when the lowest we were in the standings was 4th) and then this season we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have been with the team 7 seasons and am the veteran guy. I enjoy playing with these guys and they have improved a lot (one of the guys has the time and $$ to skate pick up and stick time everyday). All help is appreciated. For me it is nice to make the playoffs, but I enjoy playing the game with a good bunch of people more

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 04:34 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Sounds like you got your priorities straight regarding having fun vs winning.

Stay positive. If you're a vet on the team then that can have an impact on the rest of the team.

Make sure everyone is enjoying themselves. If people are having fun, then they'll keep coming back and things could improve.

As a vet, encourage people to stay. Low morale from not winning is to be expected. Hopefully though people can still laugh in the dressing room and enjoy a pop together afterwords.

As long as people aren't causing friction on the team and taking away from enjoyment of others try to keep positive for yourself and everyone else. If people are negative and ruining it for others, then you gotta be more concerned.

At the end of the day it's about having fun.

Everyone makes their own decisions. If someone decides to change then that's their call. It's unfortunate that they put winning ahead of having fun with a good group... BUT that's their decision, not yours. Don't feel like it's your job to make sure no one leaves.

And I doubt you have everyone under 4 year contracts.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
southendsniper

this happened to me in my summer league. we brought in two guys who were our so-called 'ringers'. problem was they always got frustrated with the people they were planning with because they thought their abilities were much higher than the rest of the team. this resulted in bad team chemistry and in the end they rarely even showed up to games.

I think in situations like this it is just better to let them go. Hockey is a team game and if there are people on the team being negative and that don't wanna be there, it brings everyone else down.

southendsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
spjon25

An update (kind of) well I guess karma is a ***** to this guy. Great guy, but in our second to last game got tripped up and wound up separating his shoulder and having a slight fracture of his collar bone.

I just started getting annoyed. Our league this season has had some serious issues with ringers (a guy who plays like a silver level in roller says he is a novice on ice and he is the worst guy on that "novice team". We wound up going winless and did not have a goalie for the last 4 games because he had to focus on his school (he told us at the start of the season and the league said they would find us a replacement). Oh well hey it is 100 degrees out here in LA and I get to play tonight so I am happy

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote