HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Anaheim Ducks @ Los Angeles Kings, Tuesday 9/30/08 @ 7:30 PM PST

Old
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Mindcircus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
wow.... that Amp Energy drink commerical is nuts.
Yeah, and it's about 40 seconds too long.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Hey guys, this defense was virtually all rookie. They held Getzlaf, Perry, Kunitz and the Neidermayers to one goal! Major props. Things aren't looking so down defensively are they?????????????????????????????????

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Cruel11
ClasslessKingspiracy

I hate losing against the ducks but hey, we were trying out our young guys. We'll get them tomorrow!!!

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Pre-season means nothing.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings usually have a winning record in the pre-season and a losing record in the regular season......therefore you are correct. I cannot wait until October 4th....the Kings do not play....but at least the games count.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:33 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Games is games. I can't understand how anyone can be pessimistic or even neutral to Kings hockey after a long, mostly painful and uneventful off-season.

Old
10-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I'm not sure I fully agree. Considering how young a lot of our guys are, staying close, being in the game to the end - even if we lose in the SO - is probably better for their mental makeup than getting blown out for the whole pre-season.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Games is games. I can't understand how anyone can be pessimistic or even neutral to Kings hockey after a long, mostly painful and uneventful off-season.
Not to mention these games feature the kings playing defense and sticking up for themselves. The season will be much easier to stomach than last year, even if we end up in exactly the same place in the standings (which we won't).

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:40 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Not to mention these games feature the kings playing defense and sticking up for themselves. The season will be much easier to stomach than last year, even if we end up in exactly the same place in the standings (which we won't).
Damn skippy!

I completely agree. Last season was just constantly painful, this season will be fun. Even with injuries this is the first season where there are a ton of guys who can be called up who we'd love to see get a crack at the NHL.

Old
10-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
After seeing the Kings have several awesome pre-seasons in years past only to start the regular season like crap has me (and some other fans) less than ecstatic about the results of this pre-season. If the Kings preform this well in two weeks I will be more enthused.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:00 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

The one thing (I think) we can all agree on - 8 games in the pre-season is too many. They should lop off 2 games from the pre-season and add 2 to the regular season. If they do that, then the Kings can play every team in the east at least once. That'd be sweet.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Johnny Utah

Just got back from the game....Entertaining...4 fights...Simmonds was the most hated guy out there from the Ducks...

Honestly....tonight there was a big difference between NHL'ers and the younger guys. Here is some of my player analysis.

Gauthier was a steady guy back there and laid his famous hip check.

Greene was also physical and looked poised. You can tell he and Gauthier were the VETS.

Labarbera was the best player on the ice and made 2-3 amazing saves.

Voinov - Impressed me....only one really bad turnover...looked like he had played agaisnt men before...laid the body and made some good plays.

Doughty - Made some nice plays...but also had a bad turnover...looked good but took a few hard checks...def can play in the NHL but needs to get bigger. Didn't do as much on the power play as I was expecting. But he can skate and move the puck and did a couple spin-o-rama's to get out of the zone and avoid checks. He does have great hockey vision.

Stoll - The best player out there besides Labs. Blocked shots, took the body hard, won face offs and has a cannon of a shot.

The Manchester kids looked ok...Purcell, Meckler, and Boyle...Meckler stood out the most this game. He is all about the forecheck.

Didn't notice Harrold much...is that a good thing..? He reminded me of Modry this past year. One thing I noticed is that he played with Drewiske Murray put Boyle and Westgarth out to make up for there lack of size b/c they were getting creamed physically.

Westgarth impressed me not only with his TKO win over Montador but he can play...he was in on the forecheck and can throw the body.

Simmonds - Made some nice moves into the zone and a nice pass to Moulson...Dude still needs to put on weight if he is going to be fighting NHL guys.

Overall, good game...What annoyed me was when Terry Murray put Calder with Brown and Kopitar. Ugh. Calder is too slow for the new NHL and all these young guys. Westgarth looked liked he belonged...Calder didn't. The Ducks played the body I would say more than the Kings.....and they passed better...but we were just as quick. They did play Nieds, Beachumein and Huskins though.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 10-01-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:39 AM
igotnothing

Just got back from the game. I don't know what it sounded like on the radio, but the ice was horrible tonight. I must have been the heat and humidity. The puck didn't act like a puck. Really weird bounces, especially off the glass. It wouldn't lay flat. It might have been sticking to the ice and to sticks because passing by both teams was bad. Skaters couldn't keep a edge and fell often. Almost tough to watch.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Stoll - The best player out there besides Labs. Blocked shots, took the body hard, won face offs and has a cannon of a shot.
I don't agree with this at all. Stoll was 10-22 on faceoffs and lost both draws he took in the defensive zone during the 5-3. His shot was hard, but wide too often.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Johnny Utah

Ouch...I didn't look at those numbers...I noticed him blocking a key shot and taking the body...but yes...he and Doughty need how to learn how to hit the net on the power play or it's going to be along season.

Old
10-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Ouch...I didn't look at those numbers...I noticed him blocking a key shot and taking the body...but yes...he and Doughty need how to learn how to hit the net on the power play or it's going to be along season.
Yeah, I mean preseason and all, but Stoll needs to get better if he's going to be our faceoff guy. At the end Murray had Boyle taking draws over Stoll, and that can't be a good thing. You're right though, he does at least seem willing to throw his weight around, which is good as long as it doesn't scramble his eggs.

Old
10-01-2008, 01:52 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Thoughts from the game:

Stoll definitely looks good. His offense isn't really there but he doesn't look tentative in the slightest when it comes to playing the body, which was the big knock on him last year post-concussion. He and Greene were two-thirds of an impressive 5-on-3 kill against a very legitimate PP in Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan. And also, after Klee boarded Calder for the second time, Stoll immediately went right ath im. It stopped play as the Ducks were gathering momentum and I think made a statement for this team sticking up for each other. It was a nice moment.

I'm starting to rethink Kevin Westgarth. I still think Ivanans is the better hockey player, but Westgarth is no slouch either. His line with Boyle and Calder had some very strong shifts. His fight against Montador, a legit opponent, was a good one.

Calder looked bad and he should feel bad. And Loktionov didn't look good at all, but he's also an 18 year old rookie still in his North American infancy. I've seen the guy's skills in practice and scrimmage, and I can see why the team likes him a lot, but he is not close at the moment.

Meckler and Voinov had pretty good games. I think they'll both be NHLers one day, although not this year. Moulson had another good game and my man crush continues. I stand by my prediction that he'll be our best rookie. Lower upside than Purcell and Boyle, sure, but he's further along in his overall development.

LaBarbera was good. He earned his second star of the game. I was surprised Hiller didn't get one though, since he was also good.

I think Davis Drewiske has an NHL future. Not a very high level one, but the guy is as calm and safe as any rookie I've seen. He just doesn't make mistakes. Of course, he doesn't really do anything even remotely fancy, but there's something to be said for that. Definitely has #6/7 potential.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Johnny Utah

Yeah Drewiske is solid. I noticed that...and Moulson is ahead of Boyle or Purcell...they just don't make the impact yet at the NHL that they do in the AHL.

Westgarth is the man. Great team guy....

Old
10-01-2008, 02:01 AM
guzmania

Thank you U. of Johnny, good to hear that stuff.

Take from the radio:
As you know people, there's a 5% chance that this comes together in a big way. In life, familiarity breeds contempt, but in sports the hothouse effect of the game breeds respect and confidence in one's teammates. 20 to 1 is better than nothing. Mesh, meld, mold. S'up to the players, and I like the gamers like Simmonds and Boyle and Moulson and Doughty and Johnson. This is without Froly in the line up. (Let's find a physical program that addresses his start-up frailty, duh). Time to ship Calder to the unsuspecting. If the D gets confidence hold your tickets.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Johnny Utah

My brother and I both commented that what the Kings team missed tonight was that skilled winger....O'Sullivan and Frolov were missed. Moller can maybe me that guy in a few years but for the Kings to be a good team, we need Frolov healthy and O'Sullivan in the mix. We can't compete with the Perry's, Getzlaf's, Selanne's of the world with just Kopitar-Brown. Purcell and Moller aren't there yet.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
This is without Froly in the line up.
True, but the Ducks weren't playing S. Neidermeyer, Pronger, or Selanne either...

Old
10-01-2008, 02:11 AM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
True, but the Ducks weren't playing S. Neidermeyer, Pronger, or Selanne either...
Well we didn't have our Niedermeyer and Pronger - Johnson and Preissing - so I'd call it about even.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:12 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Awesome to hear Drewiske held his own. From the one scrimmage I saw him play I thought he was really solid. I remember him driving to the net a couple of times, but it was against other rookies. None of that tonight? Either way, from the moment I saw him I instantly thought he would have a solid NHL career. Like you guys said, nothing phenomenal, but a guy who could be useful to most teams for 50-60 games a year. Anyways, cool to hear that people at the game thought so, I certainly heard his name a lot on the radio.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Johnny Utah

If the O'Sully situation drags on def one of Simmonds or Moller makes it temporarily until he returns...

Brown-Kopitar-Moulson
Frolov-Stoll-Simmonds
Calder-Handzus-Purcell
Ivanans-Boyle-Richardson

I still don't see where Armstrong fits though. He might be done with the Kings...either he or Calder to make room for a young guy. Ellis/Zeiler have a rough time cracking that line-up.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Bandit

Quote:
I still don't see where Armstrong fits though. He might be done with the Kings...either he or Calder.
I vote Calder personally. The guy brings virtually nothing to the table. Armstrong can at least crack jokes.