HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

o'byrne

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
  #1
YEMELIN74
Registered User
 
YEMELIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lévis
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
o'byrne

Is it only me or this guy is often out of position, take some bad penalites?

Is there a chance this guy doesnt make the team right away this year and goes to Hamilton to get in confidence back?

I dont know what happen with him since last year but this preseason his plays has been more than average and he no longer deserve to be a top 6 defender with the habs right now.

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:39 AM
  #2
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
He hasn't had Hamrlik this preseason to cover his mistakes.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:40 AM
  #3
One
Registered User
 
One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 335
vCash: 236
We should wait to see him play on the right side before sending him directly to AHL

One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
  #4
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Repeat after me:

It was one preseason game. It was one preseason game. It was one...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
  #5
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
We should wait to see him play on the right side before sending him directly to AHL
Yeah I agree...but even if he was playing on his off side yesterday, he doesn't have a good camp. I'm not too sure about him. In fact, I never was. I hope he'll be all right because we need a good defense if we want to go far this year. I wouldn't be surprise to see Gainey move for a #4 defenseman in a neat future tho.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
  #6
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Repeat after me:

It was one preseason game. It was one preseason game. It was one...
One game >>>> Career

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
  #7
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Repeat after me:

It was one preseason game. It was one preseason game. It was one...
It's all preseason games.

He's playing nervous and taking bad decisions. Disapointing.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
  #8
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
One game >>>> Career
That's true. No one's ever made a film about Montana, but they made one for Rudy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It's all preseason games.

He's playing nervous and taking bad decisions. Disapointing.
Oh? I recall some accounts of him having an off game against Ottawa in the GDTs, but that's about it. Last night was the 1st time this season I've heard people say they were worried about O'Byrne.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
  #9
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,172
vCash: 500
Awards:
He's been average to brutal in every preseason game I've seen him play in. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if he did start the year in Hamilton, at least to give him something of a wake up call.

...although that might mean starting Brisebois in his place, which I'm not keen about either.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
  #10
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,795
vCash: 725
Bad news: O'Byrne is average so far. Good news, Weber just proved he's not ready. O'Byrne stays and improves during the year. People who wants to get rid of him just have a short memory and don't remember Komisarek's first steps in the NHL.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
  #11
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
Is it only me or this guy is often out of position, take some bad penalites?

Is there a chance this guy doesnt make the team right away this year and goes to Hamilton to get in confidence back?

I dont know what happen with him since last year but this preseason his plays has been more than average and he no longer deserve to be a top 6 defender with the habs right now.
Let me guess, this turns into a "we should keep Webber" thread

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
  #12
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 3907
He needs to play with Hamrlik.
It seems without Hamrlik he's lost out there.

Last night is no surprise he was lost, he played with Brisebois, did you expect him to look like Lidstrom? The 2 of them were nothing short of Brutal!

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
  #13
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Is he playing the wrong side? That is a tough row for a big guy. A learning experience but the Habs dont need a Hal Gill.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
  #14
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
Is it only me or this guy is often out of position, take some bad penalites?

Is there a chance this guy doesnt make the team right away this year and goes to Hamilton to get in confidence back?

I dont know what happen with him since last year but this preseason his plays has been more than average and he no longer deserve to be a top 6 defender with the habs right now.

The way I look at O'Byrne is that he is a work in progress. He doesn't deserve a regular roster spot because he still has a lot to learn and still has to improve a lot of different aspects of his game. If he can't get it together quick enough and make some serious improvement, he should go back to Hamilton where he can work on things and gain some confidence. We can't afford to have him in the lineup if he is going to make more mistakes than Brisebois and we don't want to keep him up with the team and sit him in the press box....that won't help him.

I'd say give him 10 games or so to see what he can do and to see if he can improve in such a short period of time and if he can, keep him in the lineup, but if he doesn't improve, send him to Hamilton where he has no pressure and where he can work on his game.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
  #15
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Height and size are sometimes over-rated. With the way O'byrne is playing, I'm completely convinced that if O'byrne is 6'2 or 6" tall, he won't make the team.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
  #16
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,957
vCash: 1484
If O'Byrne doesn't win the Norris this year he is a bust.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
  #17
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
He needs to play with Hamrlik.
It seems without Hamrlik he's lost out there.

Last night is no surprise he was lost, he played with Brisebois, did you expect him to look like Lidstrom? The 2 of them were nothing short of Brutal!
Agreed. This is all horse****. He's sticking out in people's minds because his turnover caused the only goal against. He wasn't good last night but let's hold off until all the preseason games are done.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
  #18
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
The way I look at O'Byrne is that he is a work in progress. He doesn't deserve a regular roster spot because he still has a lot to learn and still has to improve a lot of different aspects of his game. If he can't get it together quick enough and make some serious improvement, he should go back to Hamilton where he can work on things and gain some confidence. We can't afford to have him in the lineup if he is going to make more mistakes than Brisebois and we don't want to keep him up with the team and sit him in the press box....that won't help him.

I'd say give him 10 games or so to see what he can do and to see if he can improve in such a short period of time and if he can, keep him in the lineup, but if he doesn't improve, send him to Hamilton where he has no pressure and where he can work on his game.
A guy like O'byrne won't get to face fast teams like Detroit in the AHL, he has nothing let to prove there. I'm not sure how it's a bad thing that players are still developing in the NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
  #19
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
He needs to play with Hamrlik.
It seems without Hamrlik he's lost out there.

Last night is no surprise he was lost, he played with Brisebois, did you expect him to look like Lidstrom? The 2 of them were nothing short of Brutal!
Don't forget Webber, the trio were brutal, prone to mistakes and giveaways, that's expected of Breezer though .

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
  #20
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Height and size are sometimes over-rated. With the way O'byrne is playing, I'm completely convinced that if O'byrne is 6'2 or 6" tall, he won't make the team.
If Guillaume Latendresse would be 5''6 , he wouldn't made the team. Or better, if Price is 5''10, he wouldn't be ''Jesus Price'', just another Théodore.


If... If..... If..... If....

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
  #21
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Don't forget Webber, the trio were brutal, prone to mistakes and giveaways, that's expected of Breezer though .
I didnt forget him.
in the GDT I wrote the 3 of them struggled all night long.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
  #22
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,020
vCash: 500
I just don't get why Brisebois was on his normal side yet guys like Gorges and O'Byrne who normally play on their right side were forced to play on the left... Brisebois will **** up no matter what side he's on so why not let the young guy like O'Byrne play his more comfortable position and get ready for the season?

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
  #23
couz
Registered User
 
couz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
I understand OB played on his wrong side yesterday but he's been on and off in camp, some good moments and some not so good.

I think he should stay in the NHL but as a #4 on a cup aspiring team its a little scary.

I think Gorges should get a shot with Hammer and try and break OB in with less minutes a game.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
  #24
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Let's just not forget that :

1. It's pre-season
2. He wasn't playing on his good side
3. He'll never be a top 4 d-man
4. Has a big total of 33 games of experience in the NHL

Give the guy a break. Yeah, he was horrible, but **** can happen.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
  #25
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I understand OB played on his wrong side yesterday but he's been on and off in camp, some good moments and some not so good.

I think he should stay in the NHL but as a #4 on a cup aspiring team its a little scary.

I think Gorges should get a shot with Hammer and try and break OB in with less minutes a game.
I think you need to check the stats. O'byrne was #6 last year, just because he played with Hamrlik doesn't make him #4, it just means he has the least experience and plays with a veteran. Bouillon was #4 and Gorges was #5.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.