HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Evaluation Camp?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
  #1
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Hockey Evaluation Camp?!

So I got a friendly "reminder" that, according to new league policy, my minor hockey league will be running an evaluation camp before the house league coaches draft teams.

I mean come on this is freekin' house league but if they want to put us through the run then fine, I'm game.

So, my real question is... what kind of stuff do they normally make you do at evaluation camps for lower level hockey? I've never actually been to one, and I haven't been to a formal hockey practice in over four years. The camp lasts for 2 and a half hours per group (age division is spit up into four groups).

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:59 PM
  #2
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
So I got a friendly "reminder" that, according to new league policy, my minor hockey league will be running an evaluation camp before the house league coaches draft teams.

I mean come on this is freekin' house league but if they want to put us through the run then fine, I'm game.

So, my real question is... what kind of stuff do they normally make you do at evaluation camps for lower level hockey? I've never actually been to one, and I haven't been to a formal hockey practice in over four years. The camp lasts for 2 and a half hours per group (age division is spit up into four groups).
Drills followed by scrimmage from my experience. It is low key and they just want to balance the teams.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
  #3
Blueshirt24
 
Blueshirt24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
So I got a friendly "reminder" that, according to new league policy, my minor hockey league will be running an evaluation camp before the house league coaches draft teams.

I mean come on this is freekin' house league but if they want to put us through the run then fine, I'm game.

So, my real question is... what kind of stuff do they normally make you do at evaluation camps for lower level hockey? I've never actually been to one, and I haven't been to a formal hockey practice in over four years. The camp lasts for 2 and a half hours per group (age division is spit up into four groups).

Never had to do anything like it for a rec-league. If it's like any other kind of evaluation, they'll have you do a lot of skating and they'll have you scrimmage. Specific drills really depends on who's running it, but you can probably count on Russian circles (forwards and backwards, with the puck?) as that always seems to be a constant. I doubt you'll do anything like break outs or what not, because you're not playing with teammates, so think of most of the things you already know like corners and expect that it won't be much different.

__________________
Nigel "Chocolate Teddy Graham" Dawes
Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
  #4
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Drills followed by scrimmage from my experience. It is low key and they just want to balance the teams.
That's exactly what we do here as well. The goal is to build parity into the house teams. Our commissioner actually doles out the teams based upon the scores of the kids vs. the coaches drafting.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 01:08 AM
  #5
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,642
vCash: 500
It's usually just basic drills, and then some scrimmaging. It's done to get a read on the players so that they can make the teams balanced. I don't see how this could be considered a bad thing.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:28 AM
  #6
Redden Hogalot*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Don't try. You'll get put on a good team.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:56 PM
  #7
Blueshirt24
 
Blueshirt24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
If you're a good player and you dog it during the evaluation, it pretty much ruins the evaluation.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
  #8
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt24 View Post
If you're a good player and you dog it during the evaluation, it pretty much ruins the evaluation.


Well first of all, I'm expecting to be amongst the worst players in the league... so no worries there.

Secondly... I don't really plan on dogging it, but on the other hand I'm not going to go all-out. In all honesty I wish they would just carry over my D+ rating from four years ago so that I don't have to spend 2 and a half hours at an arena after work.

edit: To the person who said this isn't a bad thing.... keep in mind that they also took out the buddy system, because they were getting too many ex-AAA guys signing up together. What this means for me and my crappy friends is that we might not get to play together. I'd honestly rather get slaughtered with guys I like than win a championship with guys I don't talk to a lot...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
  #9
TheOtter
Registered User
 
TheOtter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Too bad they won't make exceptions for the buddy thing. The league I play in, the commissioner is reasonable about things like that. She generally lets people sign up in groups or even whole teams, but she reserves the right to move people to keep things somewhat balanced. It works out pretty well.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 04:46 AM
  #10
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post


Well first of all, I'm expecting to be amongst the worst players in the league... so no worries there.

Secondly... I don't really plan on dogging it, but on the other hand I'm not going to go all-out. In all honesty I wish they would just carry over my D+ rating from four years ago so that I don't have to spend 2 and a half hours at an arena after work.

edit: To the person who said this isn't a bad thing.... keep in mind that they also took out the buddy system, because they were getting too many ex-AAA guys signing up together. What this means for me and my crappy friends is that we might not get to play together. I'd honestly rather get slaughtered with guys I like than win a championship with guys I don't talk to a lot...
It's icetime, the players like to scrimmage, and from what I've seen most players do there best.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
  #11
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
It's icetime, the players like to scrimmage, and from what I've seen most players do there best.
Oh... so they won't make you do pushups and running and all of that stuff?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:55 PM
  #12
fielder
 
fielder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: "The Creek"
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
noobman,

I think "The Otter" is on the right track. I would seriously consider finding another league/division where they will accomodate you and your friends. My experience has been that no matter how "balanced" the teams are, once the season starts most leagues rarely move anyone to create parity.

I agree with you. Since no one seems to be in contention to get their name "carved on the cup", I would rather have a great time with a good team and lose than win every game with guys that still act like there are NHL scouts in the stands.

fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.