HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30th Sept: Montreal Canadiens Vs Detroit Red Wings - 7:30PM - TSN - NO RDS

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Jedrik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I know I'm going bandwagon with Pac but he appears like he understands where to go in open ice, reads the play a bit better etc.
Count me in for the wagon. The thing is, Pacioretty's not afraid to get his nose dirty a bit, and seems intelligent and aware, so I don't see him being in the top-six-or-send-him-down category. I don't think that third or fourth line minutes are going to damage his development at this point. I think he has enough energy to fit in on the bottom six if necessary, and certainly has the skill and gears for top six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
They didn't make a mistake. The options at the time were to keep him in the NHL or send him back to his jr team. He could NOT be sent down to the AHL because of age. They felt at the time that Latendresse had nothing to learn by playing one more year with his jr team and the only other option was Montreal.

IMO it was the right decision. I am 100% sure if they could have sent him down to the AHL they would have.
That's a good point. I kind of remember that being the situation now.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I don't think that third or fourth line minutes are going to damage his development at this point. I think he has enough energy to fit in on the bottom six if necessary, and certainly has the skill and gears for top six.
He still has to get used to an 82 game schedule though.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:15 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think this was a difficult decision they should have made two years ago. They should have said: for Latendresse's development we send him back down. They didn't. I think they ******** his development.

Sutter who is no fool had him on his junior team but gave him barely any ice time. That tells me he saw the kid's talent but he also saw the kid's immense flaws.

I would send Pac to the A simply because in an interview from last night it seems like he expects to go there and this will buy the Habs some time.

It'll buy them time to see if Patches is just riding a shortlived wave and to see if Latendresse's game has improved. But if Patches continues to play at this rate in the A and latendresse continues with the same inconsistent, indifferent game, well then, his days are numbered. And I really don't blame Gui. I'll blame Gainey and Carbo for ruining a talented kid.
Again...
If Pacioretty had to go back to juniors I dont think anyone would consider sending him down right now as was the case with Latendresse. The only reason we are considering it is because he would be going to the AHL and we could call him back up at any point.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
He still has to get used to an 82 game schedule though.
For sure, but they play 80 in the AHL, I think. So the only difference then being the type of minutes he gets here vs AHL. What he might trade in minutes here, though, he gains in quality and experience of the speed and intensity of the NHL. It's a tough call, and I can see the benefit of either secanrio, frankly. At the very least, he'll give me reason to watch a Dogs game or two if he's dispatched.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Papa_Bear_21

Wow, talking about gushing over the new flavor of the month...
Some of you should check the archived posts to see the talk that was going on when Latendresse tore up training camp as an 18 year old. Now we have no more room for him?
Let's just give him away for a number 4 defenseman?
That's just ludicrous. For years we've heard how the team is too small, does not have power forward type players and now that we seem to have 2 of them with 25-30 goal potential (at the very least) some of you want to get rid of one?
WHY?
Does anyone realize that 4 of our top 9 forwards will be UFA next year and 3 others will be RFA? The only ones signed are the brothers. The reality is that unless most of them take a home town discount, we are not keeping all of them. We will need talent to replace them, regardless of what happens this year.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Just got back (****ing traffic!!) and no one really needs to read this because you could all see for yourself on TSN but:

-One giveaway aside, Pacioretty was amazing, by far our best forward, but you all know this. If we were a worse team, he'd stick for at least the 9 game trial. But alas, he's Hamilton bound.
9 game trials are for junior players.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Jedrik

Also, I'm sure it was mentioned in here, but I love how fans at the Bell are trying to make sure that Hossa never signs here. Not sure of the point of that. He signed a one year deal, and then he's back on the market.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
9 game trials are for junior players.
Yeah I have no idea why I said that since Pac obviously has a pro contract...well I was tired dammit

Quote:
Also, I'm sure it was mentioned in here, but I love how fans at the Bell are trying to make sure that Hossa never signs here. Not sure of the point of that. He signed a one year deal, and then he's back on the market.
Meh, I never understood that logic. Why would he not sign here just because we boo him? People said it when we booed Crosby too...makes no sense.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
If Hossa wouldn't sign here because he got booed then we don't want him. Is he a baby?

Old
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
If any player who is booed doesn't get that we're either booing the important players of the other team OR a player we were dissapointed him for any given reason but then if they would play here or would sign here, they would be treated as a hero.....well I don't want him here.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Meh, I never understood that logic. Why would he not sign here just because we boo him? People said it when we booed Crosby too...makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
If Hossa wouldn't sign here because he got booed then we don't want him. Is he a baby?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If any player who is booed doesn't get that we're either booing the important players of the other team OR a player we were dissapointed him for any given reason but then if they would play here or would sign here, they would be treated as a hero.....well I don't want him here.
I guess, but I think it's possible that it figures into a player's psyche. I don't want pissy attitudes on my team either, but I'd imagine that we were on a shortlist of teams that interested in him this year. All things being equal, maybe he'd rather go elsewhere if he thinks fans might get on him if he has a scoring slump.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I guess, but I think it's possible that it figures into a player's psyche. I don't want pissy attitudes on my team either, but I'd imagine that we were on a shortlist of teams that interested in him this year. All things being equal, maybe he'd rather go elsewhere if he thinks fans might get on him if he has a scoring slump.
That’s not a good attitude to have.

You think a guy like Ovechkin would be making excuses for “in case I play badly”?

No way. A real champion would say “I’m not going to have a scoring slump” and the booing factor wouldn’t be an issue.

Besides…We booed him because he’s on the other team. Are we supposed to cheer for other players now?

Old
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
That’s not a good attitude to have.

You think a guy like Ovechkin would be making excuses for “in case I play badly”?

No way. A real champion would say “I’m not going to have a scoring slump” and the booing factor wouldn’t be an issue.

Besides…We booed him because he’s on the other team. Are we supposed to cheer for other players now?
I can bet you any money Hossa doesn't care about the booing.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Universe
Eh?

Just watched the game this morning and wow, Pacioretty looks solid.

Price also with the redonkulas save. Hell of a preseason game.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Are we supposed to cheer for other players now?
Yes. That is what I said. Jesus.

Point is, I'd like to see him suit up for us. I'm not actually speculating about his attitude personally.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Skyblaze

I think the best thing to do with MaxPac at this point in time is to have him start with the Dogs. It'll let him get used to playing games more often than what he's been used to in the NCAA and as an added bonus, he might build some chemistry with Maxwell.

It also helps our farm be a stronger team. Good for the morale down there.

He's definitely on the top of the injury recall list though. He could play on any of our lines and fit reasonably well. I'd say he's by far a better player than Lapierre but Lapierre can play the role of an agitator. As long as he does it well, he has a spot on the team if you ask me.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
I think the best thing to do with MaxPac at this point in time is to have him start with the Dogs. It'll let him get used to playing games more often than what he's been used to in the NCAA and as an added bonus, he might build some chemistry with Maxwell.
As a fan I also like the psychological advantages of having a guy on the farm who can step in right away if needed. If he stays and has a rough time it might feel like a step backward. My heart still says keep him, though. Also, he's going to be 20 soon, so it's not like it'd be totally premature.

Old
10-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
He didn't sign here when he wasn't booed, what makes you think some fans booing him would make any difference.

Old
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
You dismiss my point by claiming I have an inexplicable and irrational hatred for Laten. I don't! I, actually, feel badly for the kid because he was not given the chance to develop properly. I've claimed this for two years. He should have been sent down for his last year in the juniors. He should have played in the A last year. If this would've happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Gui's play would be miles ahead of what it is right now.

The kid has talent but he also has huge holes in his game. And please don't bring up the Cam Neely comparison. 1) Gui doesn't have the hockey sense to be a Cam Neely and more importantly 2) The NHL has changed. It's become a speed and quick transitional game. The only hope for a player of Gui's skill set is if he parks himself in front of the net and we saw in last year's playoffs, Gui doesn't have the will to take the abuse in front of the net.

I think Gainey and carbo made a mistake keeping him here the last two years. I hope I'm wrong because I like Gui as a person. He seems like a decent enough kid but I think management has made a rare mistake with Gui.
You coudlnt be more wrong about Latendresse. Yes he could have been sent down but he did have two 16 goal seasons in his first 2 seasons playing mostly on 3rd and 4th lines and not a lot off PP time. Lats is a natural goal scorer (watch some of his goals of last year) with big size. He'll take more time to develop than Max Pac but it will pay off at the end.

Hey the guy is just 21 years old, please be rational...No matter what happens we should keep Lats especially with our free agent problems coming up next year.

Old
10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
You coudlnt be more wrong about Latendresse. Yes he could have been sent down but he did have two 16 goal seasons in his first 2 seasons playing mostly on 3rd and 4th lines and not a lot off PP time. Lats is a natural goal scorer (watch some of his goals of last year) with big size. He'll take more time to develop than Max Pac but it will pay off at the end.

Hey the guy is just 21 years old, please be rational...No matter what happens we should keep Lats especially with our free agent problems coming up next year.
You know this for sure. Would you happen to know what he scored in the Q?

In the Q those are not stats of a natural goal scorer. Those are the stats of someone who should have returned to juniors. But that's water under the bridge. We'll see what we'll see. Mr repeating myself and you telling me he's a natural goal scorer accomplsihes nothing.

Old
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
The kid has talent but he also has huge holes in his game.
I think you're overrating the holes but, especially, underrating several elements of his game. His vision and passing, for example.

Quote:
The only hope for a player of Gui's skill set is if he parks himself in front of the net and we saw in last year's playoffs, Gui doesn't have the will to take the abuse in front of the net.
As we've seen last year, though, he cannot do this unless he plays with linemates who can hold the puck long enough to make this worthwhile. Lappy, Dandenault, and everyone Lats plays with plays dump-and-chase and does so very ineffectively -- dump, chase, get there after the pass, hit D-man, backcheck, scramble in D-zone for rest of shift. Rinse, repeat. What's the point of going to the net then?

Lats thrives on a puck-possession game -- in order for the goalie-screen tactic to work, a linemate of his has to hold the puck. But the lines he's played on were not puck-possesion lines. It's no wonder he looked better not just with Koivu, but even just if SKost was on his line -- he's excellent at complementing a puck-possession passer. Even Chipchura has Lapierre beat in that department.

I think Gainey and carbo made a mistake keeping him here the last two years. I hope I'm wrong because I like Gui as a person. He seems like a decent enough kid but I think management has made a rare mistake with Gui.[/QUOTE]

Old
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
I can bet you any money Hossa doesn't care about the booing.
if anything, he probably loved it.

I cant believe the whining on the main board...

players love coming to play in montreal, this is part of the package.

Old
10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
MathMan

Quote:

In the Q those are not stats of a natural goal scorer. Those are the stats of someone who should have returned to juniors.
I think you need to consider games played along with the stats. 43 goals in 82 games in junior is one thing, but 43 in 51 is a different matter entirely.

Old
10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Pac was fantastic last night, no doubt about it. It's too bad every time someone sings his praises they usually try to put down Latendresse, and the two become inextricably linked. I don't want to dislike anyone on our team, but at this rate I'm going to get sick of hearing about Pacioretty and Sergei K.

Old
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Pac was fantastic last night, no doubt about it. It's too bad every time someone sings his praises they usually try to put down Latendresse, and the two become inextricably linked. I don't want to dislike anyone on our team, but at this rate I'm going to get sick of hearing about Pacioretty and Sergei K.
At this rate, I became sick of Chris Higgins a year ago... I wasn't even objective in my posts. I just hate when people praise a player like god before he has proven anything... Now let's say it's better. It gets much less on my nerves now. At least for Higgins. People have finally stopped to compare him to Iginla... Thanks god.

That being said, Pacioretty has displayed great abilities, and is putting the best performance per a rookie in the Habs training camp I have ever saw. Latendresse maybe scored more goals, but don't come and tell me he had 3-4 takeways per game. Pacman is the deal.

Closed Thread