HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's gonna put points up on your team?

Old
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
droller*

vCash: 500
Who's gonna put points up on your team?

For all the poolies out there.... Who are gonna play in the top 6 on your team? What 2 guys will be playing the back end on the powerplay?

Sedin-Sedin-Bernier?

Salo-Edler

Luongo will bark out specific plays from the crease

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
braindead

I'm going to venture a guess that NONE of those players will be on our power play or putting up any points for us this year...

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Looks like Demitra will be on the back point with probably Salo and Sedins and Bernier up front

this is my assumption

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Jobu

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wellwood with the Sedins on the PP, Salo and Demitra on the points.

Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wellwood with the Sedins on the PP, Salo and Demitra on the points.
That would be a pretty effective group I imagine, but wouldn't leave much for the 2nd unit in terms of playmaking, scoring, or... really anything related to generating offense. Maybe the 2nd PP unit could be a checking line, reducing the Canucks' SH goals against to among the lowest in the league. Defense wins championships, right?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
That would be a pretty effective group I imagine, but wouldn't leave much for the 2nd unit in terms of playmaking, scoring, or... really anything related to generating offense. Maybe the 2nd PP unit could be a checking line, reducing the Canucks' SH goals against to among the lowest in the league. Defense wins championships, right?
Wellwood Kesler Raymond left for the 2nd unit
Ohlund and Bieksa on the point.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
PecaFan

No one. All games will be 0-0 shootouts, which we will lose.

Edmonton and Montreal fans have decreed it.

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan View Post
No one. All games will be 0-0 shootouts, which we will lose.

Edmonton and Montreal fans have decreed it.
Hey, if a team goes 0-0-82, but that team's opponents are a collective 82-0-0, are they still considered .500?

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:30 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
I think to start, we won't need to put another PP QB on the 1st unit PP point along side Salo... You have Hank controlling from the half boards..

Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Salo-X
X-Ohlund, Bieksa, Edler, Krajicek

2nd unit

Raymond-Wellwood-Kesler
Demitra-X

Lots of creativity on both units... Sedins/Demitra, Wellwood
Both units would have net presence... Bernier/Kesler
1st unit has the Salo Bomb from the point... the 2nd unit could have Edler or Krajicek's developing shot or Bieksa's ability to get his shot thru, Ohlund's ability to do everything... backdoor, shoot, pass.

Last edited by DL44: 10-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.
DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
I think to start, we won't need to put another PP QB on the 1st unit PP point along side Salo... You have Hank controlling from the half boards..

Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Salo-X

2nd unit

Raymond-Wellwood-Kesler
Demitra-X

Lots of creativity on both units... Sedins/Demitra, Wellwood
Both units would have net presence... Bernier/Kesler
1st unit has the Salo Bomb from the point... the 2nd unit could have Edler or Krajicek's developing shot or Bieksa's ability to get his shot thru, Ohlund's ability to do everything... backdoor, shoot, pass.
Demitra would help the Sedin unit tremendously carrying the puck into the zone and sneaking in from the point (that unit was way more effective with Morrison back there). Also I like his one-timer around the slot area much better than Bernier's/our D-men's

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Hey, if a team goes 0-0-82, but that team's opponents are a collective 82-0-0, are they still considered .500?
Who knows.

They really need to give 3 points for a regulation win. Failing that, they should give 2 points for a win, and 0 points for a loss, whether that loss come in regulation, OT, or shootout. This current system is a joke that rewards weak teams.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
DL44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonShaReeFruck View Post
Demitra would help the Sedin unit tremendously carrying the puck into the zone and sneaking in from the point (that unit was way more effective with Morrison back there). Also I like his one-timer around the slot area much better than Bernier's/our D-men's
That's what Ohlund is very effective at (shots in the slot, going back door etc)...

Our PP would be better for it to have Demitra running a unit himself on the 2nd unit, rather than playing 2nd fiddle to Hank on the 1st unit.

Think about how the Sedins play the PP, when the PK starts keeping a guy up high on Salo to eliminate the shot, the Sedins open up down low and create the down low cross crease stuff... When the PK comes down low to support, they pop it up to Salo for the Bomb.

I'm not sure Demitra's talent would be maximized on the top unit, like it would on the 2nd.

what do ya think..

having said that... you know we're going to eventually see it anyway...

Old
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
givemeda411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
.500 is the winning %.

For example if a team is 10-10-0 they are at .500 as they have won half their games.

So to answer your question if a team is 0-0-82 they would be at .000 as they have not won any games. As well as the team who went 82-0-0 is at 1.00 as they won all their games.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

givemeda411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
DL44

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeda411 View Post
.500 is the winning %.

For example if a team is 10-10-0 they are at .500 as they have won half their games.

So to answer your question if a team is 0-0-82 they would be at .000 as they have not won any games. As well as the team who went 82-0-0 is at 1.00 as they won all their games.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
technically no (wins)... but in the practical sense of the word, we usually go by points (point percentage)...
so 82 pts outta a possible 164 is .500...

at least it was prior to the OTL pt.

There is a new standard for 500 when you consider all the extra OTL/SOL points handed out since the lockout... 92 pts is actually considered the new 500 now.

Pt.% of 56% (92) has been the mid point...

Last edited by DL44: 10-01-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old
10-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I'm going to venture a guess that NONE of those players will be on our power play or putting up any points for us this year...
I think you're on the wrong forum.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Stojanov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'm just gonna put out a second power play possibility...

Assuming #1 is Wellwood Sedin Sedin Demitra Salo

#2 is Bernier Kesler Pyatt* Ohlund Edler

*could insert a number of players into his role, hansen perhaps?

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
That's what Ohlund is very effective at (shots in the slot, going back door etc)...

Our PP would be better for it to have Demitra running a unit himself on the 2nd unit, rather than playing 2nd fiddle to Hank on the 1st unit.

Think about how the Sedins play the PP, when the PK starts keeping a guy up high on Salo to eliminate the shot, the Sedins open up down low and create the down low cross crease stuff... When the PK comes down low to support, they pop it up to Salo for the Bomb.

I'm not sure Demitra's talent would be maximized on the top unit, like it would on the 2nd.

what do ya think..

having said that... you know we're going to eventually see it anyway...
I understand that, and I've been leaning towards balance more too, but I still think that Demitra would help the 1st unit tremendously. I remember that unit struggling when Morrison was moved to the 2nd unit-- it couldn't get into the zone, and once it got set up, rarely got any real chances unless Morrison was driving the slot (even WITH Ohlund in that role-- he only does it every once in a while it seems). I seem to remember them putting Raymond on that point for a while for the SOLE purpose of having him gain the zone as well.

Sure, Demitra would balance out the 2nd unit nicely, but with powerplays, I tend to favor overwhelming firepower on one super-unit that you're SURE can get something done over two balanced units who may or may not be useful. Demitra would be a tremendous presence on that point, even without utilizing his quarterbacking ability.

Unless we have a guy like Jovanovski, I just like the idea of having a rushing forward on the point.

I just don't see Demitra singlehandedly turning the Raymond-Kesler-Pyatt unit into much of a more effective unit either (not as much as the difference it would make for the Sedins, IMO).

I dunno. It's just a feeling.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote