HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Anaheim Ducks @ Los Angeles Kings, Tuesday 9/30/08 @ 7:30 PM PST

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2008, 02:20 AM
  #126
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Armstrong = Useful, in certain situations on the ice, good at bringing energy back to a game and above average pk. Kids like him, good character, team spirit, 110% every shift, yada yada.

Calder = Deadweight taking a spot from a kid who is ready or on the cusp about the break in and needs a chance. Nothing on the ice, nothing I've ever heard whisper of contributing anywhere else. (though just because I haven't heard it doesn't make it true or untrue)

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:03 AM
  #127
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Armstrong = Useful, in certain situations on the ice, good at bringing energy back to a game and above average pk. Kids like him, good character, team spirit, 110% every shift, yada yada.

Calder = Deadweight taking a spot from a kid who is ready or on the cusp about the break in and needs a chance. Nothing on the ice, nothing I've ever heard whisper of contributing anywhere else. (though just because I haven't heard it doesn't make it true or untrue)
Like I said in another thread cap hit will be a huge factor in who stays and who goes. Calder makes $2.7 million. If the Kings trade/waive him there is no combination of current players that the Kings could use to stay above the salary floor. If Armstrong is traded/waived the Kings could stay above the floor.....but they would have to keep Hickey up to replace Derek's cap hit.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
  #128
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Like I said in another thread cap hit will be a huge factor in who stays and who goes. Calder makes $2.7 million. If the Kings trade/waive him there is no combination of current players that the Kings could use to stay above the salary floor. If Armstrong is traded/waived the Kings could stay above the floor.....but they would have to keep Hickey up to replace Derek's cap hit.
Meh Calder can be scratched...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
  #129
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 21,133
vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Armstrong = Useful, in certain situations on the ice, good at bringing energy back to a game and above average pk. Kids like him, good character, team spirit, 110% every shift, yada yada.
I guess Armstrong isn't heading to the sharks for McLaren now

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
  #130
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Meh Calder can be scratched...
Yes he can....but it sucks that a guy can collect a large paycheck for doing nothing and the team cannot do anything about it because they need his salary to be compliant.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
  #131
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Yes he can....but it sucks that a guy can collect a large paycheck for doing nothing and the team cannot do anything about it because they need his salary to be compliant.
You really can find absolutely anything to ***** and moan about.

Start following another team.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
  #132
riznat
Registered User
 
riznat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
You really can find absolutely anything to ***** and moan about.

Start following another team.
... To be fair, don't you think it sucks just a bit that we have to keep a guy like Calder for the sole fact that he eats up salary? I think thats a valid thing to complain about. His greatest asset to this team is his contract sucks, thats kind of odd isnt it.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
  #133
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
... To be fair, don't you think it sucks just a bit that we have to keep a guy like Calder for the sole fact that he eats up salary? I think thats a valid thing to complain about. His greatest asset to this team is his contract sucks, thats kind of odd isnt it.
Does it really matter and/or affect you personally, regardless? No. He can be scratched. He's not taking a spot away from one of the kids. End of story.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
  #134
riznat
Registered User
 
riznat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Does it really matter and/or affect you personally, regardless? No. He can be scratched. He's not taking a spot away from one of the kids. End of story.
Yes actually it does... it affects me because I want the kings to succeed and the kings would be better off trading Calder for picks then by having him scratched every night, but right now thats not an option.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
  #135
nikolai19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Simple fix if need be would be after say 20 games send Calder back to the Hawks for Khabibulin. Basically LA would pick up $3 million in salary (roughly 75% of the $4 million difference in contracts).

This is only contingent on how LaBarbera plays.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  #136
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
You really can find absolutely anything to ***** and moan about.

Start following another team.
Sorry that all my facts have you flustered. It does affect me because I would rather see O'Sullivan play than to have a $2.7 million player sit on the bench just so the team can play games. Obviously you care more about insulting other posters than what is actually going on with the team you support.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
  #137
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.
 
Beauty, eh?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Does it really matter and/or affect you personally, regardless? No. He can be scratched. He's not taking a spot away from one of the kids. End of story.
What makes you so sure of that? Because that's what you want to happen? Come on now.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
  #138
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Let's jsut hope that there is some kind of in-season trade or move that gets rid of Calder. Right now I bet no team wants him, but with any luck we can trade him for a different, slightly over-paid, under performing player in one those "change of scenery" trades.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.