HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Anaheim Ducks @ Los Angeles Kings, Tuesday 9/30/08 @ 7:30 PM PST

Old
10-01-2008, 02:20 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Armstrong = Useful, in certain situations on the ice, good at bringing energy back to a game and above average pk. Kids like him, good character, team spirit, 110% every shift, yada yada.

Calder = Deadweight taking a spot from a kid who is ready or on the cusp about the break in and needs a chance. Nothing on the ice, nothing I've ever heard whisper of contributing anywhere else. (though just because I haven't heard it doesn't make it true or untrue)

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Armstrong = Useful, in certain situations on the ice, good at bringing energy back to a game and above average pk. Kids like him, good character, team spirit, 110% every shift, yada yada.

Calder = Deadweight taking a spot from a kid who is ready or on the cusp about the break in and needs a chance. Nothing on the ice, nothing I've ever heard whisper of contributing anywhere else. (though just because I haven't heard it doesn't make it true or untrue)
Like I said in another thread cap hit will be a huge factor in who stays and who goes. Calder makes $2.7 million. If the Kings trade/waive him there is no combination of current players that the Kings could use to stay above the salary floor. If Armstrong is traded/waived the Kings could stay above the floor.....but they would have to keep Hickey up to replace Derek's cap hit.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Like I said in another thread cap hit will be a huge factor in who stays and who goes. Calder makes $2.7 million. If the Kings trade/waive him there is no combination of current players that the Kings could use to stay above the salary floor. If Armstrong is traded/waived the Kings could stay above the floor.....but they would have to keep Hickey up to replace Derek's cap hit.
Meh Calder can be scratched...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I guess Armstrong isn't heading to the sharks for McLaren now

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Meh Calder can be scratched...
Yes he can....but it sucks that a guy can collect a large paycheck for doing nothing and the team cannot do anything about it because they need his salary to be compliant.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Yes he can....but it sucks that a guy can collect a large paycheck for doing nothing and the team cannot do anything about it because they need his salary to be compliant.
You really can find absolutely anything to ***** and moan about.

Start following another team.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

... To be fair, don't you think it sucks just a bit that we have to keep a guy like Calder for the sole fact that he eats up salary? I think thats a valid thing to complain about. His greatest asset to this team is his contract sucks, thats kind of odd isnt it.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
... To be fair, don't you think it sucks just a bit that we have to keep a guy like Calder for the sole fact that he eats up salary? I think thats a valid thing to complain about. His greatest asset to this team is his contract sucks, thats kind of odd isnt it.
Does it really matter and/or affect you personally, regardless? No. He can be scratched. He's not taking a spot away from one of the kids. End of story.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
riznat

Quote:
Does it really matter and/or affect you personally, regardless? No. He can be scratched. He's not taking a spot away from one of the kids. End of story.
Yes actually it does... it affects me because I want the kings to succeed and the kings would be better off trading Calder for picks then by having him scratched every night, but right now thats not an option.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
nikolai19

Simple fix if need be would be after say 20 games send Calder back to the Hawks for Khabibulin. Basically LA would pick up $3 million in salary (roughly 75% of the $4 million difference in contracts).

This is only contingent on how LaBarbera plays.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

Sorry that all my facts have you flustered. It does affect me because I would rather see O'Sullivan play than to have a $2.7 million player sit on the bench just so the team can play games. Obviously you care more about insulting other posters than what is actually going on with the team you support.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
What makes you so sure of that? Because that's what you want to happen? Come on now.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Let's jsut hope that there is some kind of in-season trade or move that gets rid of Calder. Right now I bet no team wants him, but with any luck we can trade him for a different, slightly over-paid, under performing player in one those "change of scenery" trades.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote