HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gaustad out 3-4 weeks

Old
10-01-2008, 12:54 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Zagrapan would be my choice and if he continues to play well in the remaining preseason games he should be the Sabres choice. But the Sabres may decide they have to fill the spot with a more physical player (Darche/Mancari) or try to make a splash with Gerbe. I think they have use this opportunity to give Zagrapan a shot and see what they have. It'll be a bitter pill to swallow if he's sent down and will push him that much closer to jumping to the KHL next year.
I disagree that this is an opportunity to see what Zags can do. He will be playing with the 4th line if he even gets in the lineup. I don't see how that gives him much of an opportunity to do his thing. If someone like Connolly was the one out and Zags was taking his place. Then I would agree its an opportunity for him. Whether he deserves it or is ready for it is another matter.

Also I don't see how he should take it as a bitter pill if he is sent down to the AHL. One good camp does not erase two mediocre AHL campaigns. I would expect a 1st round pick to be a fairly dominant player offensively in the AHL before getting shot. Especially if offensive prowess was why you were drafted. Guys like Roy, Pommer, MacArthur were fairly dominant offensively in their AHL stints. Even Goose had two season of his 3 in the AHL with better numbers than Zags.

His training camp performance is a good start. IMO The best thing for Zags is to start in Portland and build on that momentum. He will be in a stable situation this year as opposed to last. He will also have much more talent to play with so he can really be in a good position to develop his game. I think that would serve him better than trying to get some playing time on the 4th line right now.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-01-2008 at 01:05 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Devo-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that's a bold claim considering Poms made it through once. Every team in the league has their own young on the fringe borderline pro who can't pass through waivers. Cmac is not very special. and the idea of playing a defensively inept guy on the 4th line with Mair and Kaleta bothers me.

i say there is a 75% chance he would make it through
Quote:
Come waiver time, MacArthur will be no Pominville
Filed by Kevin Oklobzija @ 10:44 am on September 21, 2008

In 2005-06, the Buffalo Sabres were perhaps the luckiest team in the NHL.

Not because the post-lockout rule changes played perfectly into their team makeup, but because no team claimed right winger Jason Pominville on waivers.

General manager Darcy Regier remains thankful. Pominville was second on the Sabres in scoring last season and will again play in all situations.

Pominville does “nothing that blows you away,” Regier said, “but when that package comes together, he’s a very, very good player. He gets an awful lot done by being noticed the least … well, not anymore (in terms of being noticed).”

The Sabres could very well face another waiver-wire dilemma with left winger Clarke MacArthur.

If MacArthur doesn’t win a job in Buffalo — the Sabres are hoping he can step up in camp and prove he’s an NHLer — then he must clear waivers in order to go to Portland.

Hmmmm… I wonder if Florida would claim MacArthur. I tend to believe he would play for the Panthers, and his NHL money (in the $700,000 range) won’t break anyone’s bank.

Regier did say that if MacArtur or rookie Nathan Gerbe prove they’re ready now and take a job from a veteran, “you might have to move somebody.”

Don’t be surprised if that somebody is Maxim Afinogenov.
http://php.democratandchronicle.com/blog/sports2/?p=149

If Steve MacIntyre is claimed off of waivers I can see someone grabbing the General. I think Goose's injury all but assures that he stays with the club for the first couple weeks.

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

I read about Goose and his injury, but what happened to Mair? I missed that completely. What happened, and how long is he out?
thanks...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
I read about Goose and his injury, but what happened to Mair? I missed that completely. What happened, and how long is he out?
thanks...
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/452332.html
Quote:
This time, the Sabres are getting a replacement almost immediately. Center Adam Mair, who had offseason knee surgery, will be cleared to play in the preseason finale Sunday in Detroit. He said Tuesday he feels good and is ahead of schedule.

“He’s been skating with us, practicing with us,” Ruff said. “He hasn’t been in a contact situation, but we really feel he’s chomping at the bit, and if he’s ready, Adam immediately comes to mind.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:06 AM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
thanks...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Tra La La

If you've read the injury report thread. Gaustad may be back thursday.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=557801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Quote:
he skated with Patrick Kaleta and Andrew Peters at practice

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
If you've read the injury report thread. Gaustad may be back thursday.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=557801
i was hoping for this.

i want the goose to be loose!!

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Tra La La

If he's strong on faceoffs? I expect he'll take draws between Paille,and Pominville as well. (Looks like he's slated to center Kaleta/Peters.)

Old
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It may be an issue -- but a surgery like that may take away some of his ability to win draws.

Glad to have him back though.

10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Tra La La

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Quote:
Gaustad will indeed play Thursday against the Lightning. Weber will also play his second game, as Tallinder is out until at least the weekend.