HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Nikulin + Christoph Schubert

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
  #1
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
Alex Nikulin + Christoph Schubert

I realize that there is already a Schubert thread, but Nikulin is also another kind of disgruntled Sens prospect.. he has said that he will be going back to Russia if the Senators cannot trade him.

He believes that he has been treated unfairly and I believe many Sens fans agree.

So, I am wondering how much these two would be worth in a package.. Ottawa could use a top 6 forward or a good #1 D-man..

Other Assets can be called into play.. (We have 2 #1s)

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:00 PM
  #2
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Doubt you'd get a top 6 forward, and especially not a #1 d-man, for that package.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
  #3
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Doubt you'd get a top 6 forward, and especially not a #1 d-man, for that package.
i never put a package together.

The whole purpose of this thread is for you too.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
  #4
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
i never put a package together.

The whole purpose of this thread is for you too.
Uh, you didn't? Looks like you did to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch
So, I am wondering how much these two would be worth in a package
Unless you're adding something significant to those players, they aren't going to fetch a top 6 forward or top pairing defender.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:07 PM
  #5
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Uh, you didn't? Looks like you did to me:

[b]quote=Sammitch]So, I am wondering how much these two would be worth in a package
Unless you're adding something significant to those players, they aren't going to fetch a top 6 forward or top pairing defender.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.. I was wondering what they were worth in a package...
(Not just together)
Add our 1sts or maybe something else.. use your wonderful imagination.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:14 PM
  #6
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
Exactly.. I was wondering what they were worth in a package...
(Not just together)
Add our 1sts or maybe something else.. use your wonderful imagination.
So Nikulin + Schubert + a likely late 1st round pick? Why didn't you just start a thread asking what the Sens could get for one of their firsts, because Schubert and Nikulin likely don't hold much value at all. Not sure if there are any teams eager to move a top 6 forward or top pairing defender for a late 1st at this time of year, but who knows?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:50 PM
  #7
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters
 
Ice Cream Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
If Nikulin wants out, that lowers his trade value. He just gave the other GM's a better bargaining chip.

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
  #8
heatley_fan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
If Nikulin wants out, that lowers his trade value. He just gave the other GM's a better bargaining chip.
He wants out because he doesn't want to play in the AHL. He won't go back to Russia if the team trading for him lets him play in the NHL.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
  #9
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,365
vCash: 50
Nikulin, Schubert and a 2nd for *insert player here_________*insert player here

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
  #10
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
I realize that there is already a Schubert thread, but Nikulin is also another kind of disgruntled Sens prospect.. he has said that he will be going back to Russia if the Senators cannot trade him.

He believes that he has been treated unfairly and I believe many Sens fans agree.

So, I am wondering how much these two would be worth in a package.. Ottawa could use a top 6 forward or a good #1 D-man..

Other Assets can be called into play.. (We have 2 #1s)
Yeah, it was so unfair that he was expected to prove himself in the AHL like all of our other prospects instead of just being given a spot on the team like he wanted.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:58 AM
  #11
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters
 
Ice Cream Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
He wants out because he doesn't want to play in the AHL. He won't go back to Russia if the team trading for him lets him play in the NHL.
So? Doesn't change my point.

Is Nikulin getting the shaft or something in Ottawa? Maybe if he played like an NHL'er, he'd be in the NHL? Surely he'd be beating out players like Foligno, Bass, Winchester, McAmmond and Donovan for a spot then, no?

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:05 AM
  #12
Laoghaire
Registered User
 
Laoghaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Yeah, it was so unfair that he was expected to prove himself in the AHL like all of our other prospects instead of just being given a spot on the team like he wanted.
It's unfair that he wasn't given a pre-season game to prove himself.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:08 AM
  #13
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 500
I think the value of Schubert and Nikulin is about the same as just Schubert - somewhere around a 3rd round pick or mid-range prospect.

With Nikulin coming out and stating pretty much it's NHL or bust, his value is zilch.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:20 AM
  #14
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW
 
Neil Patrick Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
It's unfair that he wasn't given a pre-season game to prove himself.
It's unfair to think that Bryan Murray noticed that he hadn't earned the right to play a pre season game.

If he didn't get that chance, he must've been almost unbearable during the camp.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:15 AM
  #15
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!
 
Yelnats Puc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
It's unfair that he wasn't given a pre-season game to prove himself.
The key word here is "given," in the NHL, you have to earn what you get. He came to training camp in poor physical shape, and you can bet that was a huge factor in him not playing any games.

As for Schubert/Nikulin in a package, I can't imagine either of them adding much to any deal. Nikulin will have to be able to make the team right away, or he's gone, and Schubert is a player whose most hyped attribute is his "versatility," in that he can be an okay 4th liner or a mediocre 6/7th defenseman. Both of these players will offer very little to most teams.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:20 AM
  #16
Laoghaire
Registered User
 
Laoghaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLeprechaun View Post
The key word here is "given," in the NHL, you have to earn what you get. He came to training camp in poor physical shape, and you can bet that was a huge factor in him not playing any games.

As for Schubert/Nikulin in a package, I can't imagine either of them adding much to any deal. Nikulin will have to be able to make the team right away, or he's gone, and Schubert is a player whose most hyped attribute is his "versatility," in that he can be an okay 4th liner or a mediocre 6/7th defenseman. Both of these players will offer very little to most teams.
He returned to camp in better condition than he was last year and he should expect to be given a chance. He deserves an opportunity to show his skills, it's for the better of the team. He trained with Malkin and Gonchar in the off-season so move him to Pittsburgh for Crosby.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
  #17
obsenssive*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alfredstown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
He returned to camp in better condition than he was last year and he should expect to be given a chance. He deserves an opportunity to show his skills, it's for the better of the team. He trained with Malkin and Gonchar in the off-season so move him to Pittsburgh for Crosby.
Better condition than last doesn't mean he was in good enough condition to meet the Sens standards.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
  #18
SP
Registered User
 
SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,957
vCash: 500
I'm thinking more of trading them both for a pick/prospect.

The Sens have a logjam of depth at both forward and defense. Currently, McAmmond and Donovan are both healthy scratches, and we're carrying 7 defensemen. We're not getting a high end player for those two, but we also have no use for depth players at any position.

Anyone willing to offer a 2nd round pick for the both of 'em?

I can't think of a suitable trade partner though. What team has both a roster spot available that Nikulin could fight for, and needs a tough 3rd pairing defenseman? My first thought was maybe LA or Tampa, but they don't really fit with the needs of either team at this point. Earlier in the summer it may have been an option, but not now.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:14 AM
  #19
heatley_fan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
So? Doesn't change my point.

Is Nikulin getting the shaft or something in Ottawa? Maybe if he played like an NHL'er, he'd be in the NHL? Surely he'd be beating out players like Foligno, Bass, Winchester, McAmmond and Donovan for a spot then, no?
Bryan Murray apparently has a bias against European players.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM
  #20
Laoghaire
Registered User
 
Laoghaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
Better condition than last doesn't mean he was in good enough condition to meet the Sens standards.
How about we make the standard: Who can play the best.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:44 AM
  #21
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters
 
Ice Cream Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
Bryan Murray apparently has a bias against European players.
Really, even with Alfredsson, Volchenkov and Gerber on the team, three important cogs to this year's Ottawa gameplan?

Didn't they also just sighn Jarkko Ruutu?

Didn't they also just draft Erik Karlsson in the first round this year?

Just sayin'.

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
  #22
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
IMO, the value is next to nothing. I sure wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for both.

The why is very simple, Nikulin is very very likely to play in the KHL. No team will promise him an NHL spot, he would have to earn it. So more then likely the team trading for him will lose him for nothing as he returns home.

Schubert is a surplus player. While versitile he doesn't add much that other teams don't already have in spades.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
  #23
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Kaigorodov, who was in a similar situation, got us Comrie for the rest of the year. I can see Schubert + Nikulin getting us another early rental (dec?) from a team looking to dump salary.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
  #24
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Kaigorodov, who was in a similar situation, got us Comrie for the rest of the year. I can see Schubert + Nikulin getting us another early rental (dec?) from a team looking to dump salary.
Viktor Kozlov fits that criteria fairly nicely, though the Caps may resolve their cap issue before then.

If there was room for him in Hershey, I could see them taking a flier on Nikulin. There are a few Russians slated to be in Hershey (Varlamov & Dovgan) that might put him at ease, though I know he wants to see NHL action.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
  #25
KesseltoLupul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Nikulin, Shubert, Foligno, 1st

for

Kubina, Bell

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.