HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder Returns - Don't Boo

Old
10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Ryder got booed/jeered tonight because he SUCKED last year and most of the time didn't seem to really be concerned by it. Nothing to do with the previous seasons where he was a key part.

And it worked like Vinceee wrote.

I'll be shocked if Huet gets booed.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
I was hoping he would sign somewhere in our division and Ive been granted, we will have a fun time to play agaisnt for 6 times this season!

4 millions wasted lolll poor Bruins..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I don't know. Huet was pretty much a godsend compared to what we expected him to be like, and he saved us from sinking with the Theo ship. He always gave us a great chance to win games, and I remember how his name first got chanted during games, the fans really fell in love with him. I don't think they'll be so cruel to a guy so many people were sad to see go.
Huet will get a nice reaction.... Ryder didn't cause he's seen as a traitor for signing with Boston.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:28 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd boo him. He's a former Hab that's a Bruin. I'd boo Koivu if he signed with the Bruins.

10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Micheal Ryder was booed whenever he touched the puck and had his name chanted "in derision."* Are we really so quick to forget our three time goal scoring leader? While he might not have been our best player he was often there for us when times were not so bright. I knew he would probably not expect a great time when he returned to Montreal, but did we really need to boo him in an exhibition game?

I was hoping for more out of our fans.

oh well.

*http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251387&l...=secStory_main
Even though the Bruins are the Canadiens biggest rivals, and Ryder went there by choice, he did so after the Canadiens didn't make him an offer. Had he snubbed the Habs and inked a deal with Boston, absolutely I could understand this response.

But after the solid years he head here, his great attitude and demeanor, and the way he conducted himself last year in a very trying and frustrating situation, I really think he deserves a lot better from the fans.

I'm very disappointed by that. For the record, here's a Canadiens fan who thinks that was wrong.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:40 AM
anarmandaleb

I would not and will not boo Ryder, unless he turns into a superhabkiller this season. But I don't care if other people boo him. He's a Bruin, FFS. He's no Chara, but he's definitely not the worst player on their roster.
I don't think it's classy, but I'd rather people boo Ryder for six games (plus possibly playoffs) than riot after a playoff series win, if they must insist on making us all look bad.
Still. I'm not going to get all emo about it.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:53 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
Oh for the love of...

Grow thicker skin. Seriously. I'm tired of fans, whether they be fans of this team or other teams, acting so shocked or appalled at booing and jeering by fans at hockey games.

It's called atmosphere. I'm willing to bet that Ryder won't go back to his hotel room and cry himself to sleep, so why should you be so offended? Were you expecting a delegation of fans to come out to the ice and present a "Thanks for the goals!" Hall-mark card? It's a business, he signed with another team, and the fans are having some fun.

And this may alarm you, but when Cristobal Huet (likely) comes to the Bell Center March 31st with the Blackhawks, the fans will boo him too. I know, outrageous right? I'll give him a call, lest he actually show up and suffer major ego bruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Even though the Bruins are the Canadiens biggest rivals, and Ryder went there by choice, he did so after the Canadiens didn't make him an offer. Had he snubbed the Habs and inked a deal with Boston, absolutely I could understand this response.

But after the solid years he head here, his great attitude and demeanor, and the way he conducted himself last year in a very trying and frustrating situation, I really think he deserves a lot better from the fans.

I'm very disappointed by that. For the record, here's a Canadiens fan who thinks that was wrong.
If I was Ryder I'd consider it a compliment, its a testement to the fact that many Habs fans noticed his departure, and are consequently bitter about it. OR it could be the same reason that Crosby gets booed and taunted...because Habs fans think he's good and want to throw him off his game. I think Ryder's response to it, and expectation of it happening makes these points clear.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-02-2008 at 01:05 AM.
HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Oh for the love of...

Grow thicker skin. Seriously. I'm tired of fans, whether they be fans of this team or other teams, acting so shocked or appalled at booing and jeering by fans at hockey games.

It's called atmosphere. I'm willing to bet that Ryder won't go back to his hotel room and cry himself to sleep, so why should you be so offended? Were you expecting a delegation of fans to come out to the ice and present a "Thanks for the goals!" Hall-mark card? It's a business, he signed with another team, and the fans are having some fun.

And this may alarm you, but when Cristobal Huet (likely) comes to the Bell Center March 31st with the Blackhawks, the fans will boo him too. I know, outrageous right? I'll give him a call, lest he actually show up and suffer major ego bruising.
Like he says.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Lone Rogue

People pay far more than just "good money" to do whatever they want in a hockey game, so long as it is not disrupting other fans (i.e. starting fights, throwing coke on them or kicking their seat. Chanting or booing is not disrupting. If you believe it is, find a new sport).

If fans in the Bell Centre decided to boo Kovalev every single game, even if he put up 60 goals? Whatever, they paid the price to do what they wish.

To give an example, I think Ring of Honor fans in independent wrestling are some of the dumbest and self centered wrestling fans in the world. They watch spotfests and supposed technical encounters and try to treat it like what they get is what no-one else gets in the world, especially in a major corporation. However, did I pay a ticket? Nope. So they can cheer away.

Sports, whether you like it or not, are not highly intellectual OR high society activities. It's an event for the underclass to be entertained. Deal.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:52 AM
NewHabsEra*

You have to be crazy to boo Koivu one day if he is traded away.. He did too much for this city to even think about booing him.. He gave his hart every games for that jersey.. Personally, I think we will resign him one year, about the same salary and will retire after that year, especially if we win the Stanley cup, he would get what he worked so hard for all his carreer long and at time he had absolutely nobody around him to support him offensively, we still found a way to make the playoffs a couple of times and everytime we were in playoffs, Koivu has always been our best foward.. If Im at the Bell center and I hear someone booing Koivu one day, count on me to say a vocal shut up at this guy..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
I don't know about that..

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I dont get what the big deal is..
So he's been booed..ok..so?..Its funny more than anything..
It's been so many times before, and will be done so many times again.

Some people will always whine about something..
You can say you don't agree with it, but to say its classless is really pushing..and anybody saying otherwise is just way off line.

People boo to be annoying, not disrespectful. Its to get the opponents off their game.
This shouldn't even be an issue.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:20 AM
dre2112

Didn't anyone read the HFBoards site rules?

When Habs fans boo a player it's done in bad taste. It's a proper demonstration of the level of class displayed by Habs fans. Habs fans CANNOT under any circumstances talk about past, present or future boos of players and may only show kind respect and applause to opposing players, even if they score on the Habs.

All other teams may boo players and discuss it publicly yet may not be vilified as Habs fans who only boo in bad taste. All other teams that boo players do so in a respectful and classy manner and are encouraged to continue such fine works.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think boooing ex Habs who served us well is a classless act and stupid beyond belief. Hell, how could Ryder not take $12 million to play for the Bruins when Gainey had NO interest in keeping him. Why boo him??

It goes beyond Ryder, why boo Hossa, or Crosby etc??? Some fans will boo Streit and Sundin (if he comes back) as well.

I get boooing players who slighted the Habs or who did something to irritate the fan base, but Ryder was always a classy guy who never complained about being benched and led us in goals for a couple of years. I for one appreciate and acknowledge his contributions and applaud him it and will not boo, unless he scores a goal against us.
Well said.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:29 AM
HabsOfSteel

Quote:
No way.

Huet was a fan favorite, Ryder not so much... Add the fact Ryder signed as FA with the Boons while Huet was traded to Washington, different story too.

Can't compare with Théodore either. Huet wasn't overpaid and he was a class act.

HabsOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:48 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Hossa got it worse, and Thats what the Habs fans do lol Briere, Chara,Hossa, Crosby, they all get the Boo, Ryder maybe joined part of the pack, I duno.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Tuggy

Meh, I wouldn't have booed him but people can do what they want. And seriously, it's not like it's hurting anyone. When you get 21,000+ people at an event things like this are going to happen.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:50 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
i was at the game and let me say Chanting opposing players name does work... he looked so nervous with the puck and so stiff!
That's just how he normally plays...

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:53 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
At 4 million a year he will get over it. What would you do for 4 million a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Micheal Ryder was booed whenever he touched the puck and had his name chanted "in derision."* Are we really so quick to forget our three time goal scoring leader? While he might not have been our best player he was often there for us when times were not so bright. I knew he would probably not expect a great time when he returned to Montreal, but did we really need to boo him in an exhibition game?

I was hoping for more out of our fans.

oh well.

*http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251387&l...=secStory_main

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:00 AM
mcphee

I don't like it. It isn't how I do things, I think it makes the fans look like children, but I'm not too self righeous about it. It seems to be the fan's way of becoming part of the show now so that's the way it is. It isn't meant too maliciously, but I'm not a fan of it.

I do like to boo Mothers at Alouette games who run out during tv timeouts to attempt to throw balls thru the uprights. Balls that their children run around and retrieve for them. My section chants Looooossser at them when they miss and I join in.

So, Ryder/No, anonymous mothers/yes.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Gros Bill

I boo my co-workers during meetings, even chant their names derisively when they say something really stupid. So I don't see what's the big deal about booing a guy who plays for the other team, especially the Bruins.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

We should just pass a law that you can bring every gun you have and shoot at people during a game but no booing should never be allowed...that's way too dangerous and that REALLY hurts people....

Can we just state that most likely every Ex-Habs will be booed. Could the sensitive ones already be prepared for that situation so we stop starting threads about it? Souray bashed the org. a little, he will be booed. Grabovski kinda bashed the org. and keeps saying how great it is in TO, he will be booed. Ryder did bash Carbo a little, he was booed. Whenever you slightly insult the coach, the fans or any member of the organization, you will be booed. Is that right, is that wrong, who ****IN cares, that's how it is. There's 21 000 people in there, some are really smart, some a little less. Some people don't have all the infos that most people in here might have so for some of them, the guy left us, didn't want to play for us anymore, we hate him. That's simple. And hate is being shown by booing. Nothing more, nothing less. Everything that is more (the Richards incident)that's totally classless and shouldn't happen. But booing? GIVE ME A ****ING BREAK FROM NOW ON!!!! Every ****in year we have the same debate, isn't that old already?

Does the Yankees fans have seriously that kind of discussion about the fact that they shouldn't laugh at or boo any players from their opponents?

We don't like the fact that we boo 'cause it makes all the other teams and their fans to hate us? Well guess what, we're there already, a little more or a little less boing won't change the fact that even on this board, we're the most hated team. Might as well have fun. What's really classless and stupid is booing your own players making them nervous and doing things they wouldn't do normally.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Judge Sauer*

I can't beleive what we've come to. Why are we the only fanbase that must explain all of our actions? How long 'til the other fanbases catch up with us? I'm not gloating or anything, but there is a reason the Canadiens use the slagan "The City is Hockey". Because it damn well is and we're all passionate as **** about our team.
Your either on our team or your not, your playing to beat our team? Your open for booing and chanting to throw you off. It's open season on year 100 I tell ya.
It's been said by many players that the crowd in the Bell has an impact on the ice, whether it's to freak out the other team before they even make it out of the dressing room during the playoffs, to let a ref know we don't agree with a penalty or missed call, take an opposing player off his game or to pump up our own players.
To all of you complaining about the booing and chanting:
Put down your tea, put the monocle in your pocket grab a beer and let the other team know how you feel when they come into your house to stand in your way of celebrating a 25th Cup.

HALTE LA, HALTE LA, LES CANADIENS SONT LA!

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 10-02-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Tuggy

I take it the people complaining have never been to a football game or a baseball game etc. I've been to an NFL game and the fans are relentless to the opposing players and that's how it should be. The opposing team is in your building and the fans should make them feel uncomfortable. The fans in the Bell Centre are like an extra player sometimes and I hope they continue doing what they are doing. And if booing someone hurts their feelings then they can go home and sleep on a bed of the millions of dollars they are making. People these days are way too sensitive and ******* IMO.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:04 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post

If I was Ryder I'd consider it a compliment, its a testement to the fact that many Habs fans noticed his departure, and are consequently bitter about it. OR it could be the same reason that Crosby gets booed and taunted...because Habs fans think he's good and want to throw him off his game. I think Ryder's response to it, and expectation of it happening makes these points clear.
He's not an idiot....That's all a load a ********. People booed him because they know nothing about class and respect plain and simple. Because they have short memories and because they think he sucks. They are happy he left and dont think he's good.

He had an awefull season last year but you can bet it was not intentional and that if he had the choice he would have liked to score 50 goals and get 100pts. He was benched and never complained in the media and still kept a smile and didnt drag the team down with bad attitude. Just for that he should have been applauded or at the very least for his 99 goals in 4 years.

That guy still has many friends on this team and it's a safe bet they were disgusted and asked them selves if they'll be dismissed that easily.

This team is all about class and respect. Too bad half the fan base has no idea what the words mean. All they do is get pissed off when someone brings it up...sad.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote