HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder Returns - Don't Boo

Old
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Wait you want people to cheer an ex-player who was throwing airplanes while his team were playing their heart out in the playoffs? Basically cheer for a guy who was seen smiling and laughing while his team was losing? Come on man, that would be classless towards our team, which in my opinion is much more important than an ex-player.

Now if the fans boo Huet, well that would suck. That guy gave it his all.

Dude the guy was in the press box....God forbid players in the press box have a bit of fun.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Wait you want people to cheer an ex-player who was throwing airplanes while his team were playing their heart out in the playoffs? Basically cheer for a guy who was seen smiling and laughing while his team was losing? Come on man, that would be classless towards our team, which in my opinion is much more important than an ex-player.

Now if the fans boo Huet, well that would suck. That guy gave it his all.

Get informed, it wasn't Ryder who threw the paper airplane.

What's classless if to believe right off the bat any rumor you hear or read.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Every young player that played for Florida were incredibly impressed by how the fans were reacting even though it was a god damn preseason game. Same for Babcock and most Wings players. The ****ing hand, we gave it to guys who really deserved it 'cause as far as I'm concerned Chris Chelios was an ex-habs player and got an incredible ovation last year.

But then when no UFA's come, let's blame the crowd....nice. The same crowd that is paying the big bucks and making it possible for the owner to be able to reach that salary cap so we can have a succesful team. And again, agree or not, this is not the classiest building, we know that. We do. But then other teams cannot believe how loud it is and how great the atmosphere is. So I guess that for every player who won't come here 'cause he's booed or might be booed when he leaves our team, there's other players who might come here 'cause they do understand how passionnate the fans can be (with the ups and the downs of their "passion") and might be interested in coming anyway.

Our building is alive compared to almost every other building out there. But with passion comes stupid and intelligent reactions. Yes I'm pissed off 'cause every ****in year it's the same. We already know that we do have a minority who are not the sharpest fans, booing our own players and booing other players. But that's how it is. Why should we bring it again and again and again? We get it! We shouldn't but we do it anyway and it's part of what the crowd is all about.

It's getting a little strange here. People shouldn't be booing ex-habs players but the majority of the people here can't stand that we have threads about the same ex-habs players that are doing well either......And then it's fine to keep bringing that thread over and over but we hate it when we see repetitive threads???? Comes to a point when we should probably have a sticky of all the bad things the crowd and us as fans we're doing....

It didn't end well with Ryder. The paper planes story him or not him was talked a lot. Jouralists and others talking as if he didn't care, his stories blasting the coach, never saying how it might have been his fault a little. It doesn't take a lot for the people to voice their opinion.

See...exactly what I was saying. As soon as we try to do a little introspection on the fans it turns in to "WTF we are perfect we never do anything wrong. What kind of stupid BS is this!"

If I'm Chris Higgins and Ryder is my friend last night I was pissed at the fans and I ask my self "will they discard me just like that too?". If I'm Ryder and a UFA friend inquires about the team I tell him to stay away...the fans are ungreatful and discard like dirty toilet paper once they are done with you. A bunch of spoiled brats to think they deserve everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
I don't feel bad for the 4 millions man. It's part of the game and he now plays for the Bruins. If I'm at the Bell Center i'll have a good time and boo other players.
Money has nothing to do with the class or lack of class of people. If you have class you do...if you dont you dont. And those who dont dont understand what it is and never will.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-02-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old
10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Get informed, it wasn't Ryder who threw the paper airplane.

What's classless if to believe right off the bat any rumor you hear or read.
My bad. I heard from many sources so I thought it was true.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
My bad. I heard from many sources so I thought it was true.
BOOOOOOOO.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
BOOOOOOOO.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
TroyM

Did nobody read the TSN article?

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Ryder said with a laugh. "It was just the first time on the ice, after that I didn't really hear it. I kind of expected that."

Doesn't this kinda settle the debate? Ryder brushed it off, expected it, yet people are here are up in arms in his defense. He doesn't need your help, he didn't get upset, get over it and toughen up.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Money has nothing to do with the class or lack of class of people. If you have class you do...if you dont you dont. And those who dont dont understand what it is and never will.
You can't expect 21273 people to have class.

That is impossible...

And if it was the case let me tell you that life would be way less entertaining.

Anyway, I still don't think an arena, stadium etc. isn't the place to show class; the 7th player on the ice are there to disturb player, if it works, it is ok for me.

OK it is preseason so it might be too much, but I'd boo him for sure if he's going in a shootout in regular season, and every time he touches the puck in playoffs.

Chara certainly looked disturbed last year making bas mistakes because we booed him.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
See...exactly what I was saying. As soon as we try to do a little introspection on the fans it turns in to "WTF we are perfect we never do anything wrong. What kind of stupid BS is this!"

If I'm Chris Higgins and Ryder is my friend last night I was pissed at the fans and I ask my self "will they discard me just like that too?". If I'm Ryder and a UFA friend inquires about the team I tell him to stay away...the fans are ungreatful and discard like dirty toilet paper once they are done with you. A bunch of spoiled brats to think they deserve everything.
Do you seriously think players entertain a fantasy relationship with fans where they feel "discarded" and say people were ungrateful after all we went through together...

Seriously now. The guys are PROS. They play hockey for Christ's sake. You know, the sport were parents scream their guts out at the coach for not playing their kid as much as they wanted. Not pretty, but all these guys grew up with that ****. It's a passionate thing, especially in Canada, and Ryder knows it. No one hockey player will ever say : "I feel the fans are ungrateful" or he'll be dubbed the sissiest sissy of Sissyville.

I don't know if you watched TLMEP with Carbonneau, but he was asked about the differences when he was a player and players today. He had one answer: Today players are like PME (petites et moyennes entreprises - Small and mid sized enterprises). They view their career as...well...a CAREER. For them to have fans being passionate, for or against, is like McDonalds having some clients boooing the big mac and cheering the McChicken while others only cheer for the nuggets : THEY WIN ANYWAY.

Ryder, and others get f*!***n high salaries because people are passionate about this. If they weren't, it wouldn't be possible for them to work 20 years in the NHL and retire as millionaires. A player who doesn't understand that is ********. I'm sure Ryder goes to sleep every night thanking god for habs fans contibuting to raising the Salary cap once again, making it possible for teams to pay overrated one dimensional player 4 millions a year

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Habs

It was disappointing to hear, Ryder was pushed out of town.. he didn't run. Would be different if he left because of Free Agency or if he pulled a Desjardins on his way out of town and trashed the city..

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Did nobody read the TSN article?

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Ryder said with a laugh. "It was just the first time on the ice, after that I didn't really hear it. I kind of expected that."

Doesn't this kinda settle the debate? Ryder brushed it off, expected it, yet people are here are up in arms in his defense. He doesn't need your help, he didn't get upset, get over it and toughen up.
Because he's going to say he was sad and disapointed to newspaper? Get real.
What I would have liked to see is an aswer to being cheered on his first shift "I really got emotional and I'd like to say thanks. That's why I was sad to leave. they are the best fans in the world."

Now...got a meeting....be back later.

Old
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Gimme a break. You reading waaaaaay too much into this. You're painting it as if, because a certain % of fans booed an ex-player, no UFA would want to sign here and, why not, all the present players would want to leave. I doubt that players are that thin-skinned. And I'll add this. I'll bet that when Ryder's UFA friend asks him about playing in Montréal, he'll answer that the atmosphere at Bell Center is the best in the league. Maybe he'll add that the fans are rough on opposing teams - hardly a black mark against them.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Do you seriously think players entertain a fantasy relationship with fans where they feel "discarded" and say people were ungrateful after all we went through together...

Seriously now. The guys are PROS. They play hockey for Christ's sake. You know, the sport were parents scream their guts out at the coach for not playing their kid as much as they wanted. Not pretty, but all these guys grew up with that ****. It's a passionate thing, especially in Canada, and Ryder knows it. No one hockey player will ever say : "I feel the fans are ungrateful" or he'll be dubbed the sissiest sissy of Sissyville.

I don't know if you watched TLMEP with Carbonneau, but he was asked about the differences when he was a player and players today. He had one answer: Today players are like PME (petites et moyennes entreprises - Small and mid sized enterprises). They view their career as...well...a CAREER. For them to have fans being passionate, for or against, is like McDonalds having some clients boooing the big mac and cheering the McChicken while others only cheer for the nuggets : THEY WIN ANYWAY.

Ryder, and others get f*!***n high salaries because people are passionate about this. If they weren't, it wouldn't be possible for them to work 20 years in the NHL and retire as millionaires. A player who doesn't understand that is ********. I'm sure Ryder goes to sleep every night thanking god for habs fans contibuting to raising the Salary cap once again, making it possible for teams to pay overrated one dimensional player 4 millions a year
This long-winded post has nothing to do with what znk was saying. You babble about free agency and the roots of hockey, when all he was saying is its classless to boo a guy who was signed by another team.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
David_99

He wouldn't have gotten booed if he signed with any other team not named the Bruins or Leafs. He should have expected it, which from his quote, he did. So who cares? Had he cried on tv that he couldn't re-sign with the Habs, and signed with some team out west like Calgary, he wouldn't have gotten booed. But it turns out he signed with a rival. What did you expect? Flowers?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
This long-winded post has nothing to do with what znk was saying. You babble about free agency and the roots of hockey, when all he was saying is its classless to boo a guy who was signed by another team.
What I'm saying is that players couldn't care less if you boo against or cheer for them, as long as you pay your ticket and fill the arena

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
He wouldn't have gotten booed if he signed with any other team not named the Bruins or Leafs. He should have expected it, which from his quote, he did. So who cares? Had he cried on tv that he couldn't re-sign with the Habs, and signed with some team out west like Calgary, he wouldn't have gotten booed. But it turns out he signed with a rival. What did you expect? Flowers?
My thoughts exactly. I should note that I would never boo a guy like Ryder. I would gladly boo Chara, Briere, a few others maybe, but never Ryder, Grabs, Huet, Ribs, pretty much all ex-habs. That said, to actually be upset at those who do just makes you come off as, to put it very immaturely, a big baby. You've got to have a pretty weak constitution to let something like that bother you...

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Talent Analyst

LOL!!I would have boo him even if he had sign with us.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:

And what kind of stupid BS is this so say that I've mentioned that we are perfect and do nothing wrong when in my post you'll find things like: this is not the classiest building, we know that. We do. OR how passionnate the fans can be (with the ups and the downs of their "passion") OR But with passion comes stupid and intelligent reactions. We already know that we do have a minority who are not the sharpest fans, booing our own players and booing other players.

Why would you disregard the points that totally contradicts what you're saying about how I see this? I wouldn't boo anybody, I never did, would not do it. I'm talking that in a crowd it doesn't take a lot of people to get some others going. The larger the crowd is, the smallest their intelligence, this is just a well-known fact. So again, we're not the classiest, but didn't we know that already? Didn't we talk about it already?

But for a Higgins that would wonder how he'll be treated 'cause his buddy Ryder was booed last night, there's a Plekanec who will be happy to know that a player who gave is all and was really loved 'cause of his stats and his effort on the ice like Chelios, after all these years, had a chilling impressive ovation last year. Again, Ups and downs of a passionnate crowd.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
+1

That's exactly how I see it, he signed with the friggin Bruins. It ain't the classiest thing in the world to boo ex-players but it is better than booing our own which I haven't heard in a while. The Bell Centre is the best arena in the league for a reason, atmosphere.

I appreciate what Ryder did for us but bottom line he now plays for the enemy, I wouldn't boo him but if people want to they have that right.

And Bruins fans have no right to say anything against Habs fans on this. Red Sox fans booed Johnny Damon when he went to the Yankees right after he helped them win the world series, now that's classless.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Skrudland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Seriously now. The guys are PROS

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
That's just how he normally plays...
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Let's not forget the fact that over the course of the season, Ryder will be strolling around downtown Montreal and will, for every fan who cusses at him, literally have dozens of fans yelling out, "hey Mike!" and clamoring for an autograph. What happens inside the Bell Centre is not the be-all end-all of the player/fan "relationship".

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:53 AM
1UP

Being booed by 21k people? I'd be PROUD!

These guys aren't my team's fans. They hate me. I'm doing something good there! And then I'd do everything to make sure they booed me even harder (like scoring a goal).

Ryder played in Montréal for quite some time. He knows the crowd. And, frankly, the way he left, I'm sure he enjoyed it a little, even though he said he didn't hear it after the 1st time.

Huet will be booed too. But for other reasons. He's an extremely good goalie, we wanna take him off his game.

And if he gets a star, he will probably get an ovation and a big hug by Price.

Now, booing other teams players, no problem. What should be made sure doesn't happen again, is booing players of our team.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Newhabfan

Some people seem to see hockey (and professional sports) as some sort of show, like a concert or a movie. I pay money I want to be entertained. Players are just mercenaries that do their stuff to get paid.

Others see pro sports it as...almost some sort of competition/war. It's us against them. It's normal to hate the other team and make eveything you can do (legally) to have your team win.

The million dollar question: Does booing players in the other team help your team ? The answer seems to be yes. Briere and Chara had bad (as in less great) performances when booed. Also, booing the foe comes together with cheering for your team - and we had some great cheering moments last season.

Therefore, since the answer is yes, then the ones to blame should be the fans in other places that do not boo their opponents. They do not do what they can to help their team, other then paying the entry fee. If you consider your team as part of your family, and not just a group of mercenary entertainers, then booing the opponent is not only accepted, but requested.

I was tired of reading that other teams find it exciting to come and play at the Bell Center because of the crowd. They should not. They should hate it.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Some people seem to see hockey (and professional sports) as some sort of show, like a concert or a movie. I pay money I want to be entertained. Players are just mercenaries that do their stuff to get paid.

Others see pro sports it as...almost some sort of competition/war. It's us against them. It's normal to hate the other team and make eveything you can do (legally) to have your team win.

The million dollar question: Does booing players in the other team help your team ? The answer seems to be yes. Briere and Chara had bad (as in less great) performances when booed. Also, booing the foe comes together with cheering for your team - and we had some great cheering moments last season.

Therefore, since the answer is yes, then the ones to blame should be the fans in other places that do not boo their opponents. They do not do what they can to help their team, other then paying the entry fee. If you consider your team as part of your family, and not just a group of mercenary entertainers, then booing the opponent is not only accepted, but requested.

I was tired of reading that other teams find it exciting to come and play at the Bell Center because of the crowd. They should not. They should hate it.
I think I have a tear in my eye.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote