HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaroslav Halak [post preseason performance]

Old
10-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Habs should keep him until the year before the next expansion draft. I can't see any reason to trade him otherwise. And I'd be looking for a 50/35 games split between him and Price for now, as they have both played at basically the same level for the Habs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The Habs three biggest needs are a young potential top two line center who can step in next season (Koivu and Lang are UFA), a #4 d-man whose a significant upgrade on who we have and a top two line power forward. It's also necessary to ensure that the Habs can fit whomever under the cap.

If one of those elements isn't included in a deal for Halak or Halak+, there really is no point in dealing him at this point.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Lone Rogue

I don't see any rush when it comes to Halak. Besides, his trade value won't be seen in a clogged goalie market until after this season. Halak doesn't even have 25 NHL games under his belt yet. No-one is going to give up something big for him, so there is no point of giving him away. Also, hes not going to demand big money from Montreal when again, he doesn't even have 25 NHL games under his belt.

Lets wait a year or two of him backing up Price, and after compiling a good 50-60 games, then people will be able to say, "Wow, this kid is a superstar, he needs to be a starter!".

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
The Habs three biggest needs are a young potential top two line center who can step in next season (Koivu and Lang are UFA), a #4 d-man whose a significant upgrade on who we have and a top two line power forward. It's also necessary to ensure that the Habs can fit whomever under the cap.

If one of those elements isn't included in a deal for Halak or Halak+, there really is no point in dealing him at this point.
I agree with your assessment of the Habs' needs. Nonetheless, there is no need to rush a Halak deal. If the Habs' opt for the #4 defenceman, a trade before dealine is in order. If the want a centerman prospect, they may as well wait until the season's over. Of course, if a GM is stupid enough to affer the moon and the stars...naah, jsut won't happen for Halak at this point. His value will likely be higher at the season's end.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
eklunds source

I'm so glad I have mariolemieux66 ignored. Wish people wouldn't quote him and just put him on ignore too...

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Booky

BTW there was a rumor that came out last year that CHI offrered Tuomo Ruutu for him at the trade deadline.
Bob said no thx and Ruutu was traded to CAR...

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
RC51

Last year nobody wanted him.
Habs were offered a bag of pucks for Halak or at least everybody wanted to skrew Gainey out of the Habs assets. All this means is a ton of GM's are really bad at evaluating talent and as for the fans, well they always think what they have is 23 Gretsky's and what you have is a bag of pucks.

Now look. BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
I'll wait till he hits re-entry waivers.
Denis contract is two-way.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Christoph Schubert, Alexander Nikulin and a 2nd?
Though probably sarcastic, I think it's a very good offer

From another team I'd consider that... but from Ottawa I'd be afraid we get killed by Halak.

I'd ratther see him go to a team LIke L-A or St-Louis...

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post

If the Habs are looking good as the deadline approaches, im guessing that they will look at the more pressing need which is a top 4 d-man. If there is a "Brad Stuart type" that is available then i think that's what the Habs would be looking at with Halak being prime trade bait.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
So? That just means he doesn't make as much in the AHL. He's not immune to waivers, otherwise everyone in the league would be on a 2-way deal.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:55 PM
serratedmuffin

first post

Price/halak is a nice cheap option with two new netminders. I'd think Hab fans would want a vet netminder to mentor Price and spell him occasionally. Denis would be the right choice then and why not trade Halak while people are high on him? The more he plays, the more film you have on him to critique and find flaws in his game.

Colorado would seem like a nice fit for him too (I hate the avs). They are lots of young d-men (5 of their top 10 prospects) and could throw in a decent 2nd round pick. They also have good young forwards and could part with one.

Call me crazy, but I'm sure the Avs would try some sort of deal although I'm not sure what montreal would want (impact now or future benefit). The avs are pretty desperate in net and would overpay, which is what everyone wants when dealing.

Thoughts?

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
He's playing some great hockey, and this is probably a message to Gainey to go knock on the doors of the 29 other NHL teams to see if he can do anything for Halak. Gainey is smiling at the prospect of this idea, and is not in a rush since he will let Halak build his value. At this point, Halak is not very well known so he can only do himself good by playing the few games he might get, and maybe hoping to be traded to a team before the deadline ( la Huet).

And his contract is one to dream for!
Value: not that much

Back-up goalies just don't carry a lot of value in the league, and never have. The Habs would be much better holding onto him give him the usual 15-20 games. Unless they want to have an experienced back-up under Price to show him the ropes - trade Halak makes no sense, especially one week before the season starts. In July when they can land an experienced back-up - maybe.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
Colorado would seem like a nice fit for him too (I hate the avs). They are lots of young d-men (5 of their top 10 prospects) and could throw in a decent 2nd round pick. They also have good young forwards and could part with one.

Call me crazy, but I'm sure the Avs would try some sort of deal although I'm not sure what montreal would want (impact now or future benefit). The avs are pretty desperate in net and would overpay, which is what everyone wants when dealing.

Thoughts?
Yeah, no thanks.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Doesn't make one iota of sense for the Habs to get rid of him.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Krazy

Eventually they will have to get rid of one of them, and I think they will keep the wrong one.....

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 01:55 AM
freakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
I'm saying I'm willing to offer nothing for Halak.

Not sure what you are going on about.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Value: not that much

Back-up goalies just don't carry a lot of value in the league, and never have. The Habs would be much better holding onto him give him the usual 15-20 games. Unless they want to have an experienced back-up under Price to show him the ropes - trade Halak makes no sense, especially one week before the season starts. In July when they can land an experienced back-up - maybe.
Vesa Toskala, Dwayne Roloson both brought first rounders. Halak is better than the latter, not far off the former.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Vesa Toskala, Dwayne Roloson both brought first rounders. Halak is better than the latter, not far off the former.
Well sure he is *now*, but Roloson wasn't traded for a 1st round pick (and it was a conditional 1st round pick upon him re-signing with the Oilers to my recollection) this past off-season. It was after being the *starting* goalie for the Oilers where he played a part in helping the Oilers get to the Stanley Cup Finals. And it was after playing some 250+ games in the NHL - more than 10x the number of games Halak has played (the previous three seasons, he had played close to 50 games a season - that's not merely a "backup goalie" role - but a *shared* starting goalie role).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Dwayne Roloson had taken his team to the WCF's, and was traded at the deadline to a team desperate for starting goaltending. Vesa Toskala was a relatively proven starter being a upper tier performer for 40+ games.

Halak (who I really like BTW) has played something like 15 NHL games. How you are trying to compare his value to guys who have proven SO much more like Roloson or Toskala absolutely puzzles me.

I notice that you didn't compare Halak's value to Bryzgalov, another guy who had acted as a starting goalie and won play-off series, who was claimed on waivers last year?

The guys you mentioned were acquired to be the #1 goalie. There is not a team in the NHL that would consider trading for Halak and making him there starter right now.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
L.A. may be interested.
Only if they're taking Labarbera back.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Only if they're taking Labarbera back.

Though I think Halak will start the season in Mtl, With the right combination that could work out

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:36 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Goaltending trades are all about timing. If you're lucky, some schmuck might give you a first rounder for your backup. If not, you could end up losing him for nothing, especially with the possibility of expansion in the near future. Personally with such a young goalie in Price I don't see why the Habs wouldn't want to keep a strong backup around, especially if he's cheap with two years left on his contract. He probably needs at least a full NHL season to prove he's too good to be a back up, so the best time to trade him would be the 2010 trade deadline or offseason. At that point what you get will likely be dependant on what the goalie market looks like.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
first post

Price/halak is a nice cheap option with two new netminders. I'd think Hab fans would want a vet netminder to mentor Price and spell him occasionally. Denis would be the right choice then and why not trade Halak while people are high on him? The more he plays, the more film you have on him to critique and find flaws in his game.

Thoughts?
I don't honestly want to part with Halak, but if I had to, well, the Avs would be a good choice. Probably a 1st rounder OR 2 2nds would be called for in return. I don't see giving up a guy who looks every bit like a #1 goalie for anything less.

There's a colourful trade history between COL and MTL involving goaltenders, why not extend it?

It's pretty funny now - I got laughed at last year for suggesting that Halak >> Labarbera and at this point I'll bet L.A. would take Halak in a heartbeat.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Gaston Gingras

Halak has to play as a #1 goalie, the only reason is not #1 is Price. I don't think he will accept that role after this year. He can be a great starter on many teams.

Gaston Gingras is offline   Reply With Quote