HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guys...

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2004, 08:29 PM
markov`

vCash: 500
Guys...

Guys...let's assume we'll see hockey next year, and that Kovalev re-sign. Okay that's a lot of "if" but that's possible. Maybe not a full season, but 50 games? And for Kovy, I think he'll test the market but he'll come back in Montreal. Nobody will offer him more than Gainey because Gainey knows that Kovy likes Montreal, play well with Saku, etc.

So, let's assume all that. We will gonna have one heck of a team, the best in years. We just need a "rookie stand-out" a la Ryder or Ribeiro. I think Higgins is the best candidate. I'm looking forward to see him on the 2nd line. If Kovalev and Koivu are united all season long, I think both could be on the top 10 scorers. Look at what they did in playoffs. Michael Ryder and Mike Ribeiro will gain some experience, same with Begin, Ward, Bulis and, say, Higgins. And Bonk will give us a real good depth - we could have three lines that can score. Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom shouldn't be bad at all, those three player can shut down and create some offense. We seem to forget that Sundstrom played with Wayne Gretzky when he was 23 I think.

On D, Komisarek will become a top-pairing defenseman this year. I really think he will emerge. If Souray can play like he did last year, and Rivet like he did in the playoffs, we will have a really good D core.

If there's a next season, I predict we will battle for the North-East title with the Sens. Depends what happen with Kovy.

What do you think?

Old
06-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I would go with........

Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev
Hossa, Ribs, Ryder
Higgins, Bonk, Hossa
Begin, Pleks, Ward

Markov, Komo
Souray, Breezy
Hainsey, Rivet

Theo, Huet

Old
06-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I would go with........

Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev
Hossa, Ribs, Ryder
Higgins, Bonk, Hossa
Begin, Pleks, Ward

Markov, Komo
Souray, Breezy
Hainsey, Rivet

Theo, Huet
oops.......replace hossa on the thrid with Bulis.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
markov`

Quote:
I would go with........

Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev
Hossa, Ribs, Ryder
Higgins, Bonk, Hossa
Begin, Pleks, Ward

Markov, Komo
Souray, Breezy
Hainsey, Rivet

Theo, Huet
Here's mine.

Richard Zednik - Saku Koivu - Alex Kovalev
Christopher Higgins - Mike Ribeiro - Michael Ryder
Jan Bulis - Radek Bonk - Niklas Sundstrom
Jason Ward - Jim Dowd - Steve Begin

Andrei Markov - Craig Rivet
Sheldon Souray - Mike Komisarek
Patrice Brisebois - Francis Bouillon

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

Maybe Hossa will pan out, and if he do, he will play with Ribeiro and Ryder instead of Higgins. There is one spot left for a rookie, and if we don't sign Dowd, there is 2.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Here's mine.

Jan Bulis - Radek Bonk - Niklas Sundstrom
Jason Ward - Jim Dowd - Steve Begin

Patrice Brisebois - Francis Bouillon

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

Maybe Hossa will pan out, and if he do, he will play with Ribeiro and Ryder instead of Higgins. There is one spot left for a rookie, and if we don't sign Dowd, there is 2.

Dowd wont be signed, that been confirmed by Gainey apperntly. As for Sunny, im not sure my self if he will be signed. Plus what happens to Hossa, he cant be sent down, and dont you think Pleks deserved a spot after leading the Bull dogs in points???

Old
06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Mine : play 7 d-mens . Double shift Kovalev and Bonk to make them feel wanted and it give a line up like that :

Jan Bulis - Radek Bonk - Jason Ward
Darren Langdon - Steve Bégin - Kovy/Bonk

Patrice Brisebois - Ron Hainsey
Francis Bouillon

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

Old
06-27-2004, 08:48 PM
FTK

At the Beginning of the season

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Bonk-Ward
Langdon-Bégin-Sundstrom

At the end of the season

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder
Higgins-Bonk-Sundstrom
Plekanec/Langdon-Bégin-Ward

Old
06-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Mine : play 7 d-mens . Double shift Kovalev and Bonk to make them feel wanted and it give a line up like that :

Francis Bouillon

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

I dont think we have too double shift or play Bonk/Kovalev on the thrid line. For Bonk, we traded or him, that should be more than enough to give him the message that we want him. The same applies for Kovalev by signing him. Personally i think it would be a waste to put them on the fourth line. That line should be open for prospects or hard nosed gritty player, for instance Lappy.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:50 PM
markov`

I didn't wanted my topic to be a "post your lines" but anyway...

Old
06-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Mooch

Quote:

Francis Bouillon

Jose Theodore
Cristobal Huet

I dont think we have too double shift or play Bonk/Kovalev on the thrid line to make the feel wanted. For Bonk, we traded for him, that should be more than enough to give him the message that we want him. The same applies for Kovalev by signing him. Personally i think it would be a waste to put them on the fourth line. That line should be open for prospects or hard nosed gritty player, for instance Lappy.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev/Murray
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Higgins - Bonk - Bulis/Laperriere
Begin - Plekanec - Ward

Souray - Komisarek
Markov - Brisebois
Hainsey/Gauthier - Rivet
Bouillon

Theodore
Huet

Old
06-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
I dont think we have too double shift or play Bonk/Kovalev on the thrid line. For Bonk, we traded or him, that should be more than enough to give him the message that we want him. The same applies for Kovalev by signing him. Personally i think it would be a waste to put them on the fourth line. That line should be open for prospects or hard nosed gritty player, for instance Lappy.
If we dress 7 d-men we can't have 12 fowards on the bench . I really like using 7 d-mens . Bouillon play normally , around 10min .. Hainsey takes a spot the 2nd PP and some 5 on 5 time here and here . Kovalev and Bonk are well trained players they can play 2:30 more per game .

Old
06-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Mooch

Quote:
If we dress 7 d-men we can't have 12 fowards on the bench . I really like using 7 d-mens . Bouillon play normally , around 10min .. Hainsey takes a spot the 2nd PP and some 5 on 5 time here and here . Kovalev and Bonk are well trained players they can play 2:30 more per game .
I know they can play more, that not what im worries about at all. Imo i dont think we need to dress 7 D. I would rather alternate Hainsey and the Cube game too game if we must, giving that 2-3 minutes to a young prospect or like i said earlier a physical player, who would make a bigger impact on that line. Bonk and Kovalev wont go out on that line and dish out massive hits, and they also wont score considering there line mates. All thed be doing is taking a nice little skate, they ar just not fourth line type of players and we seen that when Kovalev was placed on the third line in the playoffs. He was useless there. I also dont see any point in having 7 D. Let Hainsey play, if plays like crap, take him out and put in the Cube untill hes ready again.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:05 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Our team looks good on paper, let's hope that it will look good on ice. But, BG is putting all the odds on his side. Let's hope he signs a premium UFA to complete our 1st line. I'm very happy with the directions the habs have taken since BG arrived.

Old
06-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
I think there are too many ifs to know how well our team can do next season. There will be two top 6 roles to fill, and im hoping Kovalev will be back to fill one of them. The hole on the second line looks unpredictable right now, I'd guess players like Hossa and Dagenais will be fighting for it. I think it really comes down to finishing off the duo's we currently have in the line up. Our defense looks pretty good, though I would like a big bodied FA to fill Bouillon's role. Our goaltending has been dealt with in the past few days, so its down to the forward. The four duo's that will probably be playing together next season will be Koivu-Zednik, Ryder-Ribeiro, Bonk-Bulis and Begin-Ward. Its up to the rest of our players to win the rest of the spots. There are quite a few prospects that could fill them, but hard to project how Kastsitsyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec etc will do in camp.

If everything in Gainey's plan falls in place I think we will be in a good situation to be a force in the east, depending on Theodore's play mostly.

Since everyone else is throwing out their lines, I guess I will:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Sunny/Lappy
Begin - Higgins - Ward
Dagenais, Plekanec

Markov - Rivet
Souray - Komisarek
Bouillon - Brisebois
Hainsey

Theo
Garon

Old
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev/Murray
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Higgins - Bonk - Bulis/Laperriere
Begin - Plekanec - Ward

Souray - Komisarek
Markov - Brisebois
Hainsey/Gauthier - Rivet
Bouillon

Theodore
Huet

Murray: No chance in hell. (also i doubt he likes the habs)
Gauthier: i like that (to replace Q's physical presence)
Laperriere: no prob' with that (kinda like a older Begin clone)

Old
06-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I still want to see another top-4 D signed for that lineup before my optimism really kicks in.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
If there's a next season, I predict we will battle for the North-East title with the Sens. Depends what happen with Kovy.
That would be surprising IMO. Not totaly out of the realms of possibilities but far from a good bet.

It's going to depend on a lot of things.

-Which Theodore is going to show up ? The 01-02 one, the 02-03 one or the 03-04 one ? What kind of effect Huet is going to have on Theodore ? What kind of performances can he provide ? Can Melanson keep doing a stand out job on our goalies and turn average goaltenders (Hackett, Huet) into very good ones ?

-Can Ribeiro and Ryder build on their first real succesful NHL season and post roughly the same numbers ? Same concerns for Komisarek ? Other teams will prepare for us next season. They'll look at the stats sheet and see Ryder and Ribeiro ranked #1 and #2. Chances are it will be more difficult for them to repeat. The acquisition of Bonk and the possible re-signing of Kovalev or another UFA should help taking pressure off of their shoulders and help them repeat.

-Can Koivu, Souray and Bégin remain healthy ? What about the other guys ?

-What's going to happen on the free agent front ? Is Kovalev going to resign or are we going to have to beg for a lesser player to come and fill that role ?

-What about rookies ? Can one of Plekanec, Hainsey, Hossa, Beauchemin, Higgins, Perezhogin or Kastsitsyn make the team ? What kind of impact can they have ?

-Will all the guys that worked hard last summer because of the disapointing 02-03 season spend as much time in the gym and prepare as well as they did ?

There are so many question marks heading into next season - including the possibility that there ain't a next season.

But there's still a lot less question marks going into next season than there was going into the last one. Fun time to be a habs fan.

Closed Thread