HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

powerplay stuff

Old
10-01-2008, 08:06 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
powerplay stuff

so far the pp has looked very good. what i see this year thats different from last year is more shooting and more importantly, more skill. theres certainly more skating and passing with purpose in the zone with the puck versus last years standing around and passing around the perimiter. im also loving that the pointmen shooting off the pass and hitting the net. overall, we just seem to be in better shooting position this year so far and the results have been outstanding the last 2 games.

this team will go as far as the pp will take it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
ruckus*

Exactly. While I'm not overly impressed with the game today, the powerplay to me is the most imporant thing. Since the lockout we've seen that if you can just break even at even strength and convert your powerplay oppurtunities while having a good PK you're going to go far. The NHL has become a specialty league with all the obstruction calls. Whether that's good or not is debatable but it is just the facts. This team we KNOW will be sound defensively and while not dominant 5 on 5 can hold their own. They will go as far as their powerplay takes them this year.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
PP will be good. They move the puck extremely well and take plenty of shots. Now that the PP system doesn't run exclusively through Jagr, others are free to be creative.

I think we'll see a marked improvement on the unit this year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Rozsival still never shoots the puck. So all those people saying Jagr's presence affected it, well yeah.....not really.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Even though almost all our Pre-Season PP goals came from Bern, I did like what I saw.

They moved away from the ****ing high-school overload setup and finally did a nice box and 1/high umbrella setup. This got us many solid shots from the point, and allowed us to bait out the Bern D to up top, thus making Drury's tip in goal possible.

Good Stuff, hope it continues. Zherdev will be a force on the PP.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Rozsival still never shoots the puck. So all those people saying Jagr's presence affected it, well yeah.....not really.
Well, Redden will shoot the puck, as will Drury, Zherdev, etc... How many power plays did we have to endure watching Jagr in the low circle fellating the puck, only to refuse to pull the trigger or throw a pass into traffic?

Jagr is still a great player, but having him on the PP served more as a detriment than anything else.

Old
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, Redden will shoot the puck, as will Drury, Zherdev, etc... How many power plays did we have to endure watching Jagr in the low circle fellating the puck, only to refuse to pull the trigger or throw a pass into traffic?

Jagr is still a great player, but having him on the PP served more as a detriment than anything else.
True, but my statement was not meant to be about Jagr and sorry if it sounds that way. I'm talking about the people who said Jagr affected Rozsival's decision to shoot. Whereas, it's exactly opposite, because Rozsival has never been a big shooter. Even in Pittsburgh without Jagr in his early years. He needs to shoot the ****ing puck.

Old
10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Even though almost all our Pre-Season PP goals came from Bern, I did like what I saw.

They moved away from the ****ing high-school overload setup and finally did a nice box and 1/high umbrella setup. This got us many solid shots from the point, and allowed us to bait out the Bern D to up top, thus making Drury's tip in goal possible.

Good Stuff, hope it continues. Zherdev will be a force on the PP.
so far, his passing has been top notch. he continues to impress me doing things i never expected him to do, like take the body, stand up for teammates, backcheck and make pretty setup passes. his goals may be highlite reel stuff but his real value so far has been less obvious.

Old
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Levitate

I think the biggest change on the PP will actually be the player movement. With Jagr commanding the PP, there just wasn't enough movement and it was easy to defense against. Now we see guys moving around, which let's the team move the puck around, and helps create shooting lanes and let's guys get open

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
True, but my statement was not meant to be about Jagr and sorry if it sounds that way. I'm talking about the people who said Jagr affected Rozsival's decision to shoot. Whereas, it's exactly opposite, because Rozsival has never been a big shooter. Even in Pittsburgh without Jagr in his early years. He needs to shoot the ****ing puck.
Could be other factors though. With Redden now taking his PP role, and Girardi showing that he's capable of generating offense from the poinnt, seems like Rozy's role with the man advantage is reduced. Probably hard to change your strategy right out of the box too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
so far, his passing has been top notch. he continues to impress me doing things i never expected him to do, like take the body, stand up for teammates, backcheck and make pretty setup passes. his goals may be highlite reel stuff but his real value so far has been less obvious.
Agreed. Amusing to think back to Brooks' article on the second day of camp outlining "The Turnover" and his attempts to poison the well of public opinion with regards to Zherdev.

On the PP in general though, a bunch of these goals came with a 2 man advantage and with a fair bit of extra room to operate. I still need to see more success on an NHL sheet before I can say that the strategy has turned the corner.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Could be other factors though. With Redden now taking his PP role, and Girardi showing that he's capable of generating offense from the poinnt, seems like Rozy's role with the man advantage is reduced. Probably hard to change your strategy right out of the box too.
...which would be retarded if it was. Rozsival's "role" with the man advantage cannot be reduced. He has produced more points than Dan Girardi, and Girardi has nothing of a slap shot. Only a good wrist shot. Rozsival is a far superior point man than Girardi. Redden, who has a better shot, and is more accurate than Rozsival, hasn't proven so in the last couple of years. The fact of the matter is Rozsival had double the goals Redden produced last year, and while Redden probably can produce more than Rozsival, and Redden is a better passer, that doesn't mean Rozsival's time should be reduced ONLY if he continues to be hesitant to shoot the puck. He shouldn't feel like he needs to resort to passing to Redden.

Old
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
...which would be retarded if it was. Rozsival's "role" with the man advantage cannot be reduced. He has produced more points than Dan Girardi, and Girardi has nothing of a slap shot. Only a good wrist shot. Rozsival is a far superior point man than Girardi. Redden, who has a better shot, and is more accurate than Rozsival, hasn't proven so in the last couple of years. The fact of the matter is Rozsival had double the goals Redden produced last year, and while Redden probably can produce more than Rozsival, and Redden is a better passer, that doesn't mean Rozsival's time should be reduced ONLY if he continues to be hesitant to shoot the puck. He shouldn't feel like he needs to resort to passing to Redden.
as for girardis shot. not true. again, on the pp it isnt how hard the shot is, its whether you can hit the net, be it slapper or snapper or wrist shot. as long as its on net, theres a chance of either going in or atleast forcing the netminder to make the save which creates rebound chances and junk goals.

im sick of seeing rozy pass away good chances on the pp. until he starts to shoot it more, hes not my top choice for any pp unit. with redden and girardi and staal all capable of manning the point and letting the shot go, no need for rozy to stink it up. heck, id even take mara over rozy.

Old
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Ahhhh, gotcha. Yeah, Rosie really needs to pull the ****ing trigger once in awhile. It's maddening, it's shades of Poti running our PP... Getting a wide open, momentum-aided shot from the high slot and passing it up for a dish to the side of the net. It's astounding that he was actuall able to register 6 PPG last year... If he shot the ****ing puck he'd have had double that.

Quote:
I actually think that Girardi has a pretty decent slapper. I also like that he's willing to use it! Obviously more than you can say for Rosie, hahah. I also like what Staal brings, with his hard shot and willingness to fire away.

Obviously, you'd like to see Redden step it up and be the leader, so he's option A in my book. I'd then go Rosie, Girardi, Staal, Mara.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old
10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

what should happen on our power play is that redden should be the one directing traffic from the point, with rozi always ready to blast a shot from the top of the circle, which he likes so much. then, he can fake guys out by giving it back to redden some times, or dish it to a forward. overall, i'd like to see a redden passing, rozi shooting setup...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
NYROrtsFan

I think you people will be begging for the days of Jagr. No way does this powerplay do all that well unless Dubinsky just makes a huge leap in development.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I think you people will be begging for the days of Jagr. No way does this powerplay do all that well unless Dubinsky just makes a huge leap in development.
Nobody will be begging for the Jagr famous 1:30 shift on the halfboards of over-passing, or the famous trillion blocked shots.

This is the PP teams have success with. The one we are potentially running. Two point men willing to shoot (with good shots), someone ALWAYS in front of the net, and two working the bottom boards and feeding the net man or the two point men.

Last edited by Jaromir Jagr: 10-02-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old
10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
You people?

16.5%, good for 22nd in the league as a team, but looked SO much worse. Jagr accumulating a whopping 7 of those goals. Yah, how will the team survive?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Nobody will be begging for the Jagr famous 1:30 shift on the halfboards of over-passing, or the famous trillion blocked shots.

This is the PP teams have success with. The one we are potentially running. Two point men willing to shoot (with good shots), someone ALWAYS in front of the net, and two working the bottom boards and feeding the net man or the two point man.
I will be begging back for it. b/c the trio of Jagr-Nylander-Straka was one of the top PP units in the league. It dominated games. This team could have that if Zherdev steps up like the player he can be. If not it will just be alot of shots, w/ little goals. the best PP units all pass well and set up for a high percentage shot. Not just shoot for the sake of shooting.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Fletch

Crash...

for two seasons the Rangers' PP was 8 in the league - not bad for a crappy PP featuring Jagr on the half boards. Last season was different because the PP didn't move as a result of his centerman not knowing how to be like Nylander and make the PP successful. Odd that Gomez wasn't that centerman for extended periods to try and replicate what was a decent PP the prior two seasons.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
jagr is gone. over. done.

and with that change should come a more effective pp that is no longer centered around one player who still thought he could dominate like he did 5 years prior. he was unwiling to adapt HIS game to his age and the fact that the league had caught up to his routine.

the pp can only improve with jaromir in russia. our pp has too much talent this year with the addition of zherdev, naslund and redden to do worse.

Old
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
jagr is gone. over. done.

and with that change should come a more effective pp that is no longer centered around one player who still thought he could dominate like he did 5 years prior. he was unwiling to adapt HIS game to his age and the fact that the league had caught up to his routine.

the pp can only improve with jaromir in russia. our pp has too much talent this year with the addition of zherdev, naslund and redden to do worse.
first off the PP when clicking didn't just run through Jagr. In fact Nylander really ran it b/c he had control of the puck and skated, moved and created lanes if you remember. Gomez, Drury and others don't do that. They never tried to adapt to what WORKED. Why are you just blaming Jagr? The Rangers had a top 10 pp. Why would you want to change what was a great PP. Gomez could control a puck like Nyls but didn't try to. Dont just blame it on Jagr. In fact since you had Straka, Rosy, Jagr still together it was more of Gomez not fitting in than Jagr holding them back.

and since we were what 22 in the league last year, the PP does not in fact have to improve. It can get worse. Even if we were 30th last year it doesn't mean it has to get better. We could stay the same. Lets just see how these players mesh, and what transpires.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Markoolio

PP1 and PP2 at the moment for Rangers?

Markoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
I will miss seeing the 1:45 of catch between Rozi and Jagr during the powerplay.

I like what I see with the PP now. We finally have a D-man that isn't afraid to shoot it (well, Mara from last season but to a lesser extent) in Redden. And he has a cannon of a shot, and actually hits the net. Zherdev is really impressive with his stickhandling and sight. And well, that first unit, I really like Gomez and Drury together. The other winger (be it Naslund or whoever) could only make it better.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
for two seasons the Rangers' PP was 8 in the league - not bad for a crappy PP featuring Jagr on the half boards. Last season was different because the PP didn't move as a result of his centerman not knowing how to be like Nylander and make the PP successful. Odd that Gomez wasn't that centerman for extended periods to try and replicate what was a decent PP the prior two seasons.
The PP was only good due to Jagr dominating, those seasons. Without Jagr dominating, we saw the trickle down effect like last year. You can't always have a superstar at his best on a team. This will be a more well-rounded PP, and certainly an improvement from last year.