HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Victoria Cup: New York Rangers and Metallurg Magnitogorsk - 10/1/08 - 1:45pm EST- MSG

Old
10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
No....he didnt.

If the guy who knows the team cant even get OUR own players right..then something is wrong. It was just embarrassing with him. Did everyone else really decline the trip that they had to resort to Al?

He couldnt even follow the play and made dozens of mistake with that alone.

Hell he DIDNT even know what the "HAND PASS" signal was which was made by the ref....thankfully Joe jumped in right away to try to save him:

AL: I dont know why but they whistle was blown..penalty?
Joe: No, just a hand pass by the Rangers.

(CLEAR as DAY with the reffing giving the hand pass motion. But Al didnt even know that)...again, he was embarrassing.....Al never again please.
I agree that I saw the hand pass signal too, but it's probably easier for us to see it on TV than for the guys up in the box. That said, if we're going to be brutally honest, he didn't make more mistakes than Sam does in a game. While Sam does a decent job, he has really lost a few steps the past couple seasons. He gets players (Rangers) names wrong all the time, doesn't know what score it is...and just generally brain farts on a regular basis. So to rip a guy who was not working in his normal capacity (in a pre-season game no less) just seems a bit unfair to me.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:47 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Wow what a preseason game...

Let me first preface this by saying that I wanted the Rangers to win this game, badly - and for so many reasons. The transfer agreements, what the Russians media was saying, the $$$ on the table for the Russian players, the confidence of the Rangers, the fact that a "cup" was on the line... i could go on and on. Make no mistake about it, this game meant something - those of you who don't think it did, think again.

I won't go into super detail like i usually do, but three people stood out in my mind. Drury, Kalinin and Callahan.

Firstly, Chris Drury is the captain of this team. If he did not prove it last night i dont know when hell prove it. The guy was playing like the 7th game of a playoffs series last night, potted 2 goals and was falling all over himself with excitement after he did. He wanted this game, BAD. You could see it in his eyes. The guy is just a winner, and he HATES to lose in big games, and this WAS a big game. He could have had 4 goals in this one. He was all over the ice, and he looks phenomenal on the Gomez's wing. I hate to say because i was one of those who wanted him in the middle, but he looks fantastic on the wing, he looks like a different player. Hes consistently gotten off about 5-10 awesome chances each game at the wing. If he continues to play this way hes going to have a big year, and most certainly will curb those "not worth 7 million dollar a year" comments.

Secondly, Kalinin. I was totally down on this guy the entire preseason up until the last two games. I dont know if it was because he was on the larger sheet, or playing his ex team, but he quietly had a very good game last night. If this is the Kalinin the Rangers are getting each night, they will be more than fine on defense. Some say trade off his salary and bring up Potter. I wouldnt do that. Theres no depth at defense and this guy will play. Yeah its early and i might wind up eating these words, but LAST NIGHT the guy played very well. It was nice to see, especially on an ice surface where 80% of the Rangers had trouble with the puck, this guy didnt have any.

Lastly, Callahan. He has flown under the radar the entire camp, and IMO should be considered the best man in camp, with Dubinsky a close second and Korpikoski earning the best rookie in camp. It was a vindication Victoria Cup winning goal scored he scored with 40 seconds left last night folks. He was without a doubt the most consistent player the entire camp, on the puck, around the net, on the body, in scrums, in peoples faces, getting shots off, skating all-out each shift. He might not have the points to show for it, but he earned a spot on this team no doubt, unlike the last two years when he was still figuring it out. The passion he brings to the ice is unquestionable. He might not have a huge year or even a breakout year, but hes put himself into position to have one.

Lundqvist I'm not even going to get into, because im hoping this all is an anomaly.

Zherdev is looking more and more comfortable. Naslund took some bad penalties, but he was competing hard. He wanted to win this game badly too and he actually scored but they blew the whistle. Stall had his best game of the preseason. Mara didnt have a good one. Fritsches goal may have been the biggest. This guy cant play in the corners or handle the puck very well, but he can skate and shoot, thats for sure. Prucha is on the verge. Jees this kid is snakebit.

And now the fun begins.

Everyone get in line for the rollercoaster.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Nich

pictures

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:06 AM
segmentation fault

If the Rangers can play every period like the 3rd, and play the PP like they have, things will be okay. (I hope).

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:08 AM
GAGLine

I didn't really get to see much of the game while it was being played since I was at work and the jtv feed wasn't cooperating. But I watched it last night and IMO the Rangers were clearly the better team throughout most of the game. Even when the game was 3-0, the Rangers still had more shots, more scoring opportunities and more time spent in the opposition's end.

The difference at that point was that the Rangers weren't finishing and Metallurg was making the most of their opportunities. It helped that their goalie was playing so well. Henrik played well also IMO, though he should have had the 2nd goal.

They turned it up even more in the 3rd period and took over the game. Great play by Cally at the end. Grats to Metallurg on a great game.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
If the Rangers can play every period like the 3rd, and play the PP like they have, things will be okay. (I hope).
If the Rangers play every period like that third period and keep the PP where it's been they'll be 1st in the conference by a long shot. That's just not possible.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I thought this was a great thing for hockey.

I'm glad the Rangers were a part of it.

It was a great event, IMO. I hope they continue this every year, it is great for the sport.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Great game, love the way our guys responded.

Can't say enough about the team effort they put together after going down 3-0.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I didn't see the game live unfortunately since I was out for my birthday, but I caught Rangers in 60. Just a thrilling game, one of the most exciting preseason games ever.

You have to give credit to Metallurg for the game they played, but it was great to see the Rangers rally in the third and put it together for the win. As I said on the main board, this could be an excellent springboard for this season. This is a team that has alot of new faces and I think some uncertainty and the way they celebrated during the 3rd period comeback was really great to see. Hopefully this spills over to the weekend when the games start for real.

Nice to see an NHL team beat a Russian team whenever it is (I don't have anything against Russia, but I'll always pull for the NHL team in international games), but the fact that it was the Rangers makes it even better.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Lastly, Callahan. He has flown under the radar the entire camp, and IMO should be considered the best man in camp, with Dubinsky a close second and Korpikoski earning the best rookie in camp. It was a vindication Victoria Cup winning goal scored he scored with 40 seconds left last night folks..
I think there was only 20 seconds to go.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I didn't see the game live unfortunately since I was out for my birthday, but I caught Rangers in 60. Just a thrilling game, one of the most exciting preseason games ever.

You have to give credit to Metallurg for the game they played, but it was great to see the Rangers rally in the third and put it together for the win. As I said on the main board, this could be an excellent springboard for this season. This is a team that has alot of new faces and I think some uncertainty and the way they celebrated during the 3rd period comeback was really great to see. Hopefully this spills over to the weekend when the games start for real.

Nice to see an NHL team beat a Russian team whenever it is (I don't have anything against Russia, but I'll always pull for the NHL team in international games), but the fact that it was the Rangers makes it even better.
Happy Belated Birthday !!!

:stanley :

Old
10-02-2008, 12:22 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Happy Belated Birthday !!!

:stanley :
Thank you!

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
shoothepuck

It was an good game, but they should have never been down 3-0. Cally saved the day. Metallurg was better than Bern. NY didn't seem hungry enough to finish in the 1st and 2nd periods, but they did settle down and showed they were superior. They won't get any breaks from Tampa, and need to start playing 60 minute hockey.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
It was an good game, but they should have never been down 3-0. Cally saved the day. Metallurg was better than Bern. NY didn't seem hungry enough to finish in the 1st and 2nd periods, but they did settle down and showed they were superior. They won't get any breaks from Tampa, and need to start playing 60 minute hockey.
Its early.

Take it eeeeeeeeeasy.

Also, better to peak in spring than the fall

Old
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Late to the thread...

But that was a sick comeback. Would of been awful embarrassing to get owned by them. Hopefully this win gets them on the right foot going into the season on Saturday.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
NYR Viper

i thijnk what we all saw was that the rangers are still getting used to their linemates and they are still getting used to this up-tempo system.....we saw what they are capable of in the third period and make no mistake about it....that is what good teams do.....that is what teams who pride themselves on speed do....montreal does it....detoit does it....buffalo did it....they can play so bad for 2 periods and all it takes is one goal and it is a whole different game and when they get any sort of momentum they dominate the play and are relentless with their attack.....im hoping this is a sign of things to come because the good teams find ways to win the games they have no business winning

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Just watched a downloaded version of the game with Finnish commentary (I know yksi kaksi kolme and that's about it...).
Really good game by Fritsche, his goal notwithstanding. 100% effort, well done! First time I've seen him play.
Others in this thread have already given enough kudos to Drury, but I don't really agree that Hank looked bad. He should have had one, but it was nowhere near a Salo-like gaffe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It'd be cool if they turned the Victoria cup into a Champions league of sorts like they do in soccer. Seems a little gimmicky right now.
They will next year. SC champs vs KHL champs. Which means the Rangers are at best a long shot from even being allowed to defend their title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
naslund played horrible....
mara looked very very bad....potter is the better player........
fritsche, korpikoski, drury, gomez, callahan all looked good.....
hank looked bad....
C'mon viper, that's a shallow analysis, usually you can do better than that!
Naslund and Mara weren't bad, just veterans playing at less than 100%.
The only player that stood out as having a poor game was Dawes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Although maybe i shouldn't be fraternizing with an arrogant Swede since i am of simple Norwegian descent
I admit, I'm 1/8 Norwegian on my father's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Ah, but Norwegians are fellow Scandinavians, at least when it comes to skiing
Tru dat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Since when have anti-Canadian sentiments been thrown around this forum?
Also true, it's not like the USA have much bragging rights vs Canada as far as ice hockey goes...

Looking forward to Saturday boys and girls!

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote