HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

4th Dman

Old
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
First off O'Byrne is our #6 D, not our number 4. Just cause he is matched with Hammer at even strength does not mean he is our 4th D. The biggest Defensive Liability in the lineup is always matched with Hammer. Remember how Streit and Brisebois were always matched with last year.

Bouillion and Gorges still play more minutes per game than O'Byrne will.... They will get the PK minutes and late in the game if the bench is shortened it will be O'B who sits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel_Bure View Post
give josh and o'byrne until the deadline to see what they can do... if not trade for a rental vet.
Exactly....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
1: O'Byrne is NOT the 4th defenceman, he's the 6th. He just plays on the 2nd pairing because Hammer is the best partner for him at this point in time for his development. The ice time reflects this. Gorges is going to be the #4 IMO.

edit: damn you Beaker!

2: The reports out of VAN on Bieksa so far in pre-season are bad and he sucked last year when healthy. One year wonder? I say PASS. He's got an ugly cap hit too for our cap situation.

3: Dan Hamhuis would probably be untouchable. The 3 kid D's are the backbone of their franchise.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46 View Post
I think as soon as O'Byrne starts playing with Hamrlik he is going to be just fine as our 4th D.
Yeah, but would he be fine out there on a regular shift against Zetterberg and Datsyuk? This team has to think Cup right now.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I say we get JayBo at the deadline and win the cup.

That's what I say.

Until then, we're fine.
I'm gonna say right now... Bouwmeester at the deadline is this years Hossa

We need a new Smiley for him now.

I say

Bouwmeester
---------------------------------------------------------

The big thing though is that we have around $2 million in cap space.
A $2million dman today would be pretty ******.... heck Jeff Finger gets nearly double that amount.
But $2million at the trade deadline, is like almost $8million in salary. You can get a better D then.

Old
10-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Bouwmeester
Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
1: O'Byrne is NOT the 4th defenceman, he's the 6th. He just plays on the 2nd pairing because Hammer is the best partner for him at this point in time for his development. The ice time reflects this. Gorges is going to be the #4 IMO.

edit: damn you Beaker!

2: The reports out of VAN on Bieksa so far in pre-season are bad and he sucked last year when healthy. One year wonder? I say PASS. He's got an ugly cap hit too for our cap situation.

3: Dan Hamhuis would probably be untouchable. The 3 kid D's are the backbone of their franchise.
I figure he'd cost a lot, but I'm sure Nashville would like to add a solid veteran D to play with their young guys, and meanwhile, Hamhuis is 2 years off of unrestricted free agency. They have enough other young D to replace him down the road, so I could see him possibly being available.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Lone Rogue

I say we trade ______ youngster who I have a negative opinion about for ______ defender in their prime. I mean, even though I have a negative opinion about the guy and think he sucks, it sure seems like the world disagrees with me, so maybe they'll like him enough to give me their defenceman in his prime!

The fourth D-man is Josh Gorges spot to lose.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Vancouver is looking for some offense, that's a given. I like Bieksa's style of play always been a fan. If it were to come up that a deal would be possible I would surely approach it.

Latendresse(could play with Bonnie & Clyde)
D'ags(gives them another offensive minded player, D'ags is a very solid player IMO)
1st rounder
and a Choice of either Dandenault, Boullion, or O'bryne

for Bieksa and 2nd

I'm not sure Vancouver would accept that deal, but we all know Gainey isn't shy to pull the trigger if it makes his team better overall.

Just remember Iginla for Nieuwendyk
Or rework the deal and go for Bouwmester...Would Tender, Chips, Bouillon and maybe Fisher get us Bouwmeester?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Or rework the deal and go for Bouwmester...Would Tender, Chips, Bouillon and maybe Fisher get us Bouwmeester?
Considering what Pittsburgh gave up last year at the deadline for Hossa. It would probably take something like this for us to get Bouwmeester.

10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Shred

Our 4th defenseman is Josh Gorges, and the spot is his until he proves he can't hang.

It's been a long while since it's been so easy to rank the top 4 D's. Markov is clearly #1, then Komi #2, Hammer #3 and Gorges #4. O'Byrne and Bouillon should be solid at 5-6 but I wouldn't like any of them playing top 4 minutes unless O'Byrne proves that he has improved immensely compared to last year.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
I think you overrate Bieksa here
I', not saying he's a #1 d-man but he's good for a 4th d-man!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I', not saying he's a #1 d-man but he's good for a 4th d-man!
And the package you are willing to give up for him

Old
10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Andy

Quote:
And the package you are willing to give up for him
lets face it, teams won't trade their quality players for our scrap, but I don't think it'll take a player like Higgins to get some quality either. Maybe you guys think it's too much for a guy like Bieksa, but like someone mentioned above it probably be perfect for a Bouwmeester, considering what was traded for Hossa last year.

If Florida is out by T.D, I'm pretty sure a package of Lats, D'ags, one of Dandenault, Boullion and O'Byrne and a 1st would be sufficient enough. It would be a blow to Florida's defense to lose a guy like Bouwmeester, but they'd still have a great D-core in Mcabe, Ballard, Boynton, Allen and Skrastins

Old
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
lets face it, teams won't trade their quality players for our scrap, but I don't think it'll take a player like Higgins to get some quality either. Maybe you guys think it's too much for a guy like Bieksa, but like someone mentioned above it probably be perfect for a Bouwmeester, considering what was traded for Hossa last year.

If Florida is out by T.D, I'm pretty sure a package of Lats, D'ags, one of Dandenault, Boullion and O'Byrne and a 1st would be sufficient enough. It would be a blow to Florida's defense to lose a guy like Bouwmeester, but they'd still have a great D-core in Mcabe, Ballard, Boynton, Allen and Skrastins
Oh for Bouwmeester I agree..... but

Bieksa <<<<<< Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester is a lock for Team Canada on Defence in 2010... Bieksa isn't even in the discussion.

To me Bouwmeester is on a Markov level, just the stats aren't there cause the team he plays on.

Old
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Oh for Bouwmeester I agree..... but

Bieksa <<<<<< Bouwmeester

Bouwmeester is a lock for Team Canada on Defence in 2010... Bieksa isn't even in the discussion.

To me Bouwmeester is on a Markov level, just the stats aren't there cause the team he plays on.
Oh thats for sure, there's no question about it. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but it's almost certain that we'll add a d-man to our roster come trade deadline, atleast thats what it looks like because IMO it's our only piece missing.

Imagine a d like this..

Markov Komisarek
Hamrlik Bouwmeester
Boullion Gorges

Old
10-02-2008, 07:34 PM
couz

Bouwmeester is their best player, you gotta give a top notch player, not a package of role players or 3rd liners.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Bouwmeester is their best player, you gotta give a top notch player, not a package of role players or 3rd liners.
This is florida... look what they gave their best player up for 2 years in a row....

Plus he's a UFA after this year and they are looking like they will be unable to keep him.... Something similar to the Hossa package would work IMO.

Latendresse, Obyrne, D'agostini and Fischer is similar to the Hossa package.

Old
10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
couz

One thing Habs fans have a tendancy to do is forget there are 28 other teams in the NHL with about ten probably ready to make better offers.

I agree, if they want a package there's good elements in your offer, but there will need to be an upgrade at the top of the offer, a top notch prospect.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Right-hand solid D who can play rough, fellow Czech to Hammer: Pavel Kubina would be a good fit for fourth guy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
One thing Habs fans have a tendancy to do is forget there are 28 other teams in the NHL with about ten probably ready to make better offers.

I agree, if they want a package there's good elements in your offer, but there will need to be an upgrade at the top of the offer, a top notch prospect.
To me a 21 year old forward already in the NHL replaces that.

Old
10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
ha. van dam does it again.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Right-hand solid D who can play rough, fellow Czech to Hammer: Pavel Kubina would be a good fit for fourth guy.
Agreed... and he'll be available at the deadline.... Have to get him to waive the NTC though. How long is he signed for after this year though. 1 more year??

That could be worrisome... I'd rather have a UFA.

Old
10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Agreed... and he'll be available at the deadline.... Have to get him to waive the NTC though. How long is he signed for after this year though. 1 more year??

That could be worrisome... I'd rather have a UFA.
If he's not UFA at the end of the year yea his 5 mill a year could be tough to swallow, no doubt. That would depend where we stand as far as contracts next year. But I just think Kubina would be ideal as a fourth guy, just imagine him playing with Hammer.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If he's not UFA at the end of the year yea his 5 mill a year could be tough to swallow, no doubt. That would depend where we stand as far as contracts next year. But I just think Kubina would be ideal as a fourth guy, just imagine him playing with Hammer.
I've also had thoughts about getting Kubina to play with Hamrlik, would be a deadly top 4.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Yeah, but would he be fine out there on a regular shift against Zetterberg and Datsyuk? This team has to think Cup right now.

Really?

I didn't realise the cup was handed out in October. Also, if we have last change, Markov and Komi would be out against Zetteberg and Datsyuk.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote