HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
10-02-2008, 08:51 AM
ThirtyFive

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Do you guys want me to keep translating the new entries, should there be any?

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Of course! This may have to be moved to Nikulin's new team's board, should there be one...

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
pucknut12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
It's too bad, his blogs have helped get us through this off-season. Hopefully Murray realizes he's a good player and actually gets a good player back.
Meh, he's not that good. Maybe with another year in the AHL he could have improved more, but right now he's not an NHL caliber player.

pucknut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Caeldan

Quote:
For as long as he's on the team yeah - if he gets traded, then I guess that's up to the new team's board... or if he goes back to the KHL, I'm not sure - I'd probably still read them if they were translated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
It's too bad, his blogs have helped get us through this off-season. Hopefully Murray realizes he's a good player and actually gets a good player back.
Well Tim Murray during one of the MTL preseason games was interviewed about Nikulin and they referred to him as a poor man's Spezza if I remember right. So I think they know he's got talent. If he'd stayed in NA and trained this off-season, he might've had a better shot, but I honestly believe he may not have trained as hard as he thought he did just because he had too many distractions around.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
AN

unfortunately he's not an NHL caliber player at all. he must realize it. the sooner the better.
Саня, не парься, возвращайся домой))

AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN View Post
unfortunately he's not an NHL caliber player at all. he must realize it. the sooner the better.
Саня, не парься, возвращайся домой))
He would be if he stuck it out and got more physical while playing another season in the minors. Unfortunately though, he seems to think he has no more improvements to make and that he should be given a roster spot no matter what. If he is not willing to play for any club`s AHL team it`s unlikely he`ll ever play in the big league.

But I do understand his frustration, having been told he is not in the club`s future plans. Of course he wants out now. Who would stay somewhere they are not wanted?

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

He should have gotten a preseason game at least. I remain on the fence regarding Murray and Co.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Slippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
He would be if he stuck it out and got more physical while playing another season in the minors. Unfortunately though, he seems to think he has no more improvements to make and that he should be given a roster spot no matter what. If he is not willing to play for any club`s AHL team it`s unlikely he`ll ever play in the big league.

But I do understand his frustration, having been told he is not in the club`s future plans. Of course he wants out now. Who would stay somewhere they are not wanted?
He never said he wouldn't. He siad he would like to go to a team where he would have a chance to crack the lineup. By saying an average team, he seems to have a realistic view of his talent level (not going to a solid NHL roster player). He states if the team he is traded to puts him in the minors, he will have re-evaluate whether to go back to Russia or not.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Marble

Quote:
Definitely, yes please.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
He never said he wouldn't. He siad he would like to go to a team where he would have a chance to crack the lineup. By saying an average team, he seems to have a realistic view of his talent level (not going to a solid NHL roster player). He states if the team he is traded to puts him in the minors, he will have re-evaluate whether to go back to Russia or not.
Exactly. I'm not entirely sure that Nikulin is going to bolt to Russia if traded to another team. I think a team that trades for him will have to inform him of what they see in him and how they want to use him.

The problem is that he quite obviously was clueless about his place in the organization until a very clear non-verbal message was sent to him by not even giving him a pre-season game to play in. That's why he clearly reacted so strongly because he thought (or had been led to believe) he was in the Senators plans, at least as a prospect it saw as having NHL potential. I think any 23 year old who gave up a better life, better pay, better career at home to spend time in the AHL would react the same way if the NHL club he was putting his effort into cracking essentially lost interest in him.

I think if a team acquires him and communicates with him where they see him fitting in things could change. Even if his work-out program may not have been up to the Senators standards, Nikulin has shown numerous times that he is well intentioned. He was trying to do the right thing with off-season training and he was trying to do the right thing by trying his hardest at the AHL level. It's not like his intentions aren't sound and his willingness to work to achieve his goals evaporated or never existed.

That being said, he has very little trade value and there is very little reason to think any team will trade for him now with the intention of him playing in the NHL. His success in Russia and at the AHL level are solid but not amazing, nor does he have top line potential or anything. That only adds to the stupidity of not playing him in a pre-season game though - he didn't even get a chance to show another team where he is at in his development. My hope for him is that a team acquires him, explains to him where he fits in and what he has to do. If a team does that it's because they appreciate his talent and potential and see him as a fit with the organizational direction, something Murray and co. don't seem to see because he doesn't play their style.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
I would like to get on an average team, so I can play. By the way, should the new team also send me down to the AHL, Ill again have to think. I will find out for how long this would be. Im not going to waste a season in the minors.
Get the **** on then dude.

Who is Alexander Nikulin?

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Xspyrit

I’m not going to waste a season in the minors.

Was he tearing up the AHL last season? I missed something... I feel bad for him that he didn't have a chance to play a pre-season game but that sentence is leaving me perplex. I find him a bit presomptuous there... Like he already proved everything, that he is a NHL player... Obviously, some guys were ahead of him in the organisation... that's why he didn't make the team and that he prolly never will...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 01:45 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Im not going to waste a season in the minors.

Was he tearing up the AHL last season? I missed something... I feel bad for him that he didn't have a chance to play a pre-season game but that sentence is leaving me perplex. I find him a bit presomptuous there... Like he already proved everything, that he is a NHL player... Obviously, some guys were ahead of him in the organisation... that's why he didn't make the team and that he prolly never will...
Well when the KHL is a serious option and the difference of making an extra 100-140K, his comments make sense.

Reason why I believe Zubov is next if he does not make the team by next season.

Money is pretty important for players trying to make it, an injury and your career is done with not much to fall back on. Make the money while you can.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I’m not going to waste a season in the minors.

I think that he supposes that tearing up the AHL doesn't prove you as a NHL-caliber player and the only way for him to progress is to play either in the NHL (even while underachieving at first) or the KHL.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 05:10 AM
petelevi

This from Sharp (http://www.pressconnects.com)

Quote:
I spoke with Alexander Nikulin after practice Thursday, and with Kaspars Daugavins kindly agreeing to translate again, he pretty much reiterated what is apparently on his blog this week. (For the blog, click here. For a translated version of his most recent entry, here.)

Nikulin said he's requested a trade, and he seemed under the impression something was going to happen last Friday, and then this past Monday. The crux of this all seems to be his contention that his agent was told by Bryan Murray after training camp that Nikulin "has no spot (with the) Ottawa Senators in the future," and that "he's not (the) kind of player they want there." He also admitted to being surprised that he didn't get into any preseason games, particularly after he played two regular-season games with the Sens last year.

"He said (what) is the point to stay here in the American League when the guys are battling for a spot there, and everybody gets a chance except me," Daugavins said, translating for Nikulin. "I'll never get there, so I'd rather get another team, or go back home (to Russia)."

But ... here's the catch.

After B-Sens practice -- and Nikulin continues to practice, working on a line with Ilya Zubov and Greg Mauldin on Thursday -- Ottawa director of hockey operations Brent Flahr said he had spoken with Sens GM Bryan Murray on Wednesday, and that as of then, team officials had not received any formal trade requests from Nikulin.

Also, Flahr rejected the notion that Nikulin was no longer in the club's future.

"That's not true at all," he said, adding later: "He's got great skill, great hands, vision. But away from the puck, certain things. The speed of the game up there, it's hard. So he has some things to learn, but we want him here. And if he doesn't want to be here, then we'll have to make a decision."

Flahr said Nikulin's blog entry this week caught Ottawa officials a bit off-guard. Murray already had a meeting scheduled with Nikulin's agent over in Sweden to discuss a few unrelated matters, and so the guess here is that this situation will be brought up then as well. Hopefully, at the very least, the two sides can use that time to get on the same page.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Marble

This kills me. Something is seriously broken in the communication train here. I'm at least happy that the Senators are monitoring his blog but there's only one person between Nikulin and Ottawa management and that's his agent. Either his agent's lying or the team is.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Slippy

I wonder if it possible that it is his agent that is hoping for a trade to another team where Nikulin could earn an NHL salary thus upping his cut.

But very strange that either Murray didn't let Flahr know of the trade request or Nukes agent never told the Sens of the trade request. This story just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Old
10-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

It really seems like his agent is telling him things that haven't been said or haven't happened. I find it hard to beleive the Sens would tell Nikulin they want him out of the organization because he has to work on a couple things away from the puck, that sounds like pure BS.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexytime Explosion View Post
It really seems like his agent is telling him things that haven't been said or haven't happened. I find it hard to beleive the Sens would tell Nikulin they want him out of the organization because he has to work on a couple things away from the puck, that sounds like pure BS.
I agree to an extent that I can't imagine them explicitly (or intentionally) saying "you have no place in the organization." But...not giving him a pre-season game when career AHLers get a couple, that's a strong non-verbal message in itself.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Keogh View Post
I agree to an extent that I can't imagine them explicitly (or intentionally) saying "you have no place in the organization." But...not giving him a pre-season game when career AHLers get a couple, that's a strong non-verbal message in itself.
I agree it is a strong message, but it might be one the Sens thought he needed due to his performance in training camp and testing. We don't know what the Sens asked of him at the end of last season. He came to camp in what he thought was great shape, but maybe it well was below the Sens expectations. Sometimes when a team feels a player has great potential, they have to affect 'tough love' if they want him to get it.

Something was lost in translation here and I defintely think it had something to do the agent here.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Maybe it's possible that his agent took the message of Nukes not getting any preseason game and sort of blew it out of proportion. I agree with you though that he probably should've gotten a pre-season game but it's hard believing that they would flat out tell him they don't want him here, even if that's true.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Caeldan

Who is Nukes agent anyway?

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Slippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Who is Nukes agent anyway?
Gandler?

Old
10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Gandler?
*spits*

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
The problem is that he quite obviously was clueless about his place in the organization until a very clear non-verbal message was sent to him by not even giving him a pre-season game to play in. That's why he clearly reacted so strongly because he thought (or had been led to believe) he was in the Senators plans, at least as a prospect it saw as having NHL potential. I think any 23 year old who gave up a better life, better pay, better career at home to spend time in the AHL would react the same way if the NHL club he was putting his effort into cracking essentially lost interest in him.
Yeah, that would seem to fit, it does look that way to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikulin
So, I’ve asked for a trade, and the General Manager of the Senators Bryan Murray has agreed. But for some strange reason it’s been really dragging. Because I was supposed to have been traded last week by Friday. Then they moved the deal to Monday. But then on Monday nothing was clear again, so I wait. Now the team has left for Europe where they’ll start the season. I’m hoping everything will be settled there. For now I’m training with the farm team. But I’m not prepared to wait a long time for a deal, two weeks at most. If Ottawa can’t find a deal, I’m heading to Moscow.

But then again, a lot depends on where I’d be traded. For instance, if it’s Detroit, then I can buy a ticket to Russia right away. I won’t have a chance to play for that team. I would like to get on an average team, so I can play. By the way, should the new team also send me down to the AHL, I’ll again have to think. I will find out for how long this would be. I’m not going to waste a season in the minors.
I feel for Nikulin, his shock, disappointment, sudden realization of where he stands in the organizations current plans, and his wish to play elsewhere is all surely understandable. Hopefully for him, his wish to play for a lesser, non-playoff team, where he might have a chance to get a spot will be realized. Maybe we should feel relieved that, as opposed to what it seems the majority of tv pundits think, at least Nikulin sees us as a playoff team, and one that he is not good enough yet to play for.

But right now he is just an AHL player under contract for another year, and one who holds very little trade value. Has the KHL agreed to honour nhl contract rights in these situations? I thought they did, but it will probably be hard for the Sens to trade him within a few weeks - he doest appear to have any value to any other teams either. And I find it rather unlikely that playing in one pre-season game would have changed anything.

If his agent can find a team wanting to trade for him, I’d have thought the Sens would listen and try to accommodate him to get some value while they can, because clearly, he currently is not a prospect who has shown he can bring a role that this team is desperately looking for in the next little while. Nor is he looking like a potential valuable teammate who will bring a key role that will raise the teams battle level and competitiveness. His greatest value to this organization at the moment is probably as a player to help Bingo become competitive this year and win, and then when his contract is over at the end of the year he can become a ufa.

I think its clear as day that his game is not the kind of thing the Sens are looking for right now. It has nothing to do with being anti-euro, that is a ridiculous comment given our pending lifetime contract for our captain, our first round draft picks, players we’ve recently trade for. Clearly it is about the nature of players’ competitiveness and battle level; their ability to take on a key role on a team that is looking to forge an identity together and become a team that is hard to play against.

What have any of you seen that suggests Nikulin has shown he has what he it takes to fill that role on this team at this point in time? Knowing the compete level in players that Murray and Hartsburg are (thankfully) looking for, I don’t see it yet, any more than Jacques martin did when Spezza first came here.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote