HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New contract for Carbo per RDS

Old
10-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Habs _Fan

vCash: 500
New contract for Carbo per RDS

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
team 990 just announced it as well

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:36 AM
couz

It was only a matter of time.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Congrats to Carbo...well deserved.

*Puts his hand over WTK's mouth so he can't voice his opinion*

10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
phil76

5 yrs 10M$

phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And like RDS is saying, and confirmed by CKAC, seems that Gainey compared the Pacioretty's case to the Sergei Kostitsyn one and not to Carey....meaning.....MaxPac in Hamilton. Not official but you can bet a lot on it.

And that was the decision to take.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

Careful, you might burn your hand when his head explodes.

Congrats to Carbo - after a rough start the previous season, he really started to put things together last year.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Judge Sauer*

Good stuff, glad to have him around longer giving sarcastic smiles and flipping the bird

Any idea on length (contract you sickos)

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And like RDS is saying, and confirmed by CKAC, seems that Gainey compared the Pacioretty's case to the Sergei Kostitsyn one and not to Carey....meaning.....MaxPac in Hamilton. Not official but you can bet a lot on it.

And that was the decision to take.
Yeah, probably right. MaxPac may very well be better than other guys on the roster, but he isn't needed until a need shows itself, much like last year.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

Does that mean I can?

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Careful, you might burn your hand when his head explodes.

Congrats to Carbo - after a rough start the previous season, he really started to put things together last year.
lol...either that or he might try to bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Does that mean I can?
Haha..I think I'm going to need more hands.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:46 AM
HabsDood

Excellent signing by the Habs

Really, Carbo is world class coaching and credibility.

Do you, fellow Habers, sense that Carbo is a mature young coach, like he's kinda arrogant but wise in the same way, that the players believe in him and respect the baggage of experience he brings? Having Bob and the coaching staff around sure helps but I mean, personally, for the 1st time in over a decade, I feel like the coach is the boss.. And the players accept it.. What do you think? Got that feel, anybody?

PS: It sure helps to to have the players thinking, am I replaceble here, with all these quality players pushing? lol

HabsDood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Tuggy

Well deserved at this point. I was not a fan of his in the beginning but he has come a long way.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Well deserved at this point. I was not a fan of his in the beginning but he has come a long way.
Agreed. I'll admit I did pretty much a 180 on Carbo. Despised him at first but I like him a lot now.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Excellent signing by the Habs

Really, Carbo is world class coaching and credibility.

Do you, fellow Habers, sense that Carbo is a mature young coach, like he's kinda arrogant but wise in the same way, that the players believe in him and respect the baggage of experience he brings? Having Bob and the coaching staff around sure helps but I mean, personally, for the 1st time in over a decade, I feel like the coach is the boss.. And the players accept it.. What do you think? Got that feel, anybody?
I think the best thing about Carbo is he is willing to reflect and build on his weaknesses. Two seasons ago, when the Habs didn't make the playoffs, he came away from the season recognizing that he hadn't communicated with the team as effectively as he should have. There have been lots of comments from players saying that this was a huge area he improved in last year and was a big part of the team's success under him. I think that Carbo is very willing to learn on the job and will get better every year he coaches.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
In the Carbo article....

"Par ailleurs, le directeur général du Canadien, Bob Gainey, a aussi mentionné que le jeune attaquant Max Pacioretty devrait entamer la saison avec les Bulldogs de Hamilton. Il a toutefois tenu à préciser qu'aucune décision finale n'avait été prise dans son cas."

...that means, Patches will probably start in Hamilton but no final decision has been made

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Good job and well-deserved.

I still believe that Carbo needs to have a better communication with his players. He might have improved it, but I think he's not there yet....(see Ryder's comments....) And we still keep hearing from players that "I didn't talk to Carbo yet" and those types of one liners. So an improvement to be made there but aside from that, great work.

Though it changes quite fast in this world. How many have went from a Adams trophy to unemployment in 1 or 2 years.....

Old
10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed. I'll admit I did pretty much a 180 on Carbo. Despised him at first but I like him a lot now.
Same here.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good job and well-deserved.

I still believe that Carbo needs to have a better communication with his players. He might have improved it, but I think he's not there yet....(see Ryder's comments....)
Last time a few of us got together, AD and I were talking about this very point, and the consensus was that as long as players were communicated with, does it matter who with ? If Carbo has Muller pass certain messages, the way many others did, including Bowman, you have to think there's reason for it.

It's hard to be the encouraging guy when you make the decision, mid game to cut a guy's icetime. A lot of coaches prefer using their staff as a buffer bewteen them and the players.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
couz

Talked about getting some contracts done during the season...Komo ??

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Last time a few of us got together, AD and I were talking about this very point, and the consensus was that as long as players were communicated with, does it matter who with ? If Carbo has Muller pass certain messages, the way many others did, including Bowman, you have to think there's reason for it.

It's hard to be the encouraging guy when you make the decision, mid game to cut a guy's icetime. A lot of coaches prefer using their staff as a buffer bewteen them and the players.
What I am afraid of, and Carbo already does it from time to time, is that instead of talking to them and keeping it down low, he uses the journalists to get his messages through. While the important thing is to get the message through by any means necessary, I will still believe that players might not like that and that it can affect their play. We do know the crowd's reaction to a player especially if openly his coach start criticizing him...... I don't want Carbo to be a player's coach à la Jacques Demers, still, players are like human, a little tap on the back never hurts.....and if it's to make the team better, why not? Even Carbo himself admitted that it's not his strength and he's working on it. If he believes in working on it, he might also understand the importance of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
If I heard correctly, McGuire from CKAC said that Gainey, contrary to the rumor, is obviously not closed to talk about contracts during a year. He reminded the journalists that he did it for Streit last year. So Gainey said that every year is different and surely this year is really different from previoius years as well....but that's all he said.

So without saying he'd try to sign some guys, clearly you understand that since this year is REALLY different, that he will make some attempts.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I would say that Komo would have to be at the top of the list.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Mue

Any word on Chipchura?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Lone Rogue

The whole communication thing has been overblown. It's why I love the McGuire quote back in December, where he talked about how John Torterrella was a fantastic coach because behind the scenes he was everyone's friend, while Carbo is stone cold and callous. Eventually, Torts lost his locker room (a disappointment; we need more people telling Brooksie to **** off) while Carbo got robbed for the Jack Adams.

The closer you get to your team, the less likely you are to reign down on them for screwing up. You need to be on the top of your game at all times and not feel pity or any lack of judgment. Theres a reason why when teams leave the choice of new coach up to the players, they always select the team loving assistant coach. If Carbo got fired, the team would likely say Muller should be the next head coach. And while nothing against Captain Kirk, I don't think he could show the same intensity that Carbo has.

Carbonneau has really grown as a head coach. He wasn't perfect when he came in, but he learned and slowly his decisions have become stronger and stronger. My favourite part of chats was when people would go, "WHY THE HELL DID CARBO PUT OUT THAT LINE!? YOU STUPID IDIOT, PUT OUT THE... oh, we scored".

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
I'm like 95% sure he will get re-signed at some point but that 5% scares me a lot that he will walk...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote