HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks 2004 Draft Results

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Blackhawks 2004 Draft Results

Round 1, 3rd overall: D Cam Barker, Medicine Hat (WHL)
Round 2, 32nd overall: C/RW Dave Bolland, London (OHL)
Round 2, 41st overall: LW Bryan Bickell, Ottawa (OHL)
Round 2, 45th overall: C Ryan Garlock, Windsor (OHL)
Round 2, 54th overall: C Jakub Sindel, Sparta Praha (CZE)
Round 3, 68th overall: LW Adam Berti, Oshawa (OHL)
Round 4, 120th overall: D Mitch Maunu, Windsor (OHL)
Round 4, 123rd overall: LW Karel Hromas, Sparta Praha Jr. (CZE)
Round 5, 131st overall: RW Trevor Kell, London (OHL)
Round 5, 140th overall: C Jacob Dowell, University of Wisconsin (WCHA)
Round 6, 165th overall: LW Scott McColloch, Grande Pierre (AJHL)
Round 7, 196th overall: RW Petri Kontiola, Tappara (FIN)
Round 7, 214th overall: RW Troy Brouwer, Moose Jaw (WHL)
Round 7, 223rd overall: C Jared Walker, Red Deer (WHL)
Round 8, 229th overall: C Eric Hunter, Prince George (WHL)
Round 8, 256th overall: RW Matthew Ford, Sioux Falls (USHL)
Round 9, 260th overall: RW Marko Anttila, Lempaala (FIN)

Last edited by Teemu: 06-27-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old
06-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Hawkalyzer

grade: A

Old
06-26-2004, 08:56 PM
FearTheFlyers

Flyer Ohl fan here just coming round to congratulate you on a brilliant day of drafting, Bolland, Bickell, Garlock and Berti are all excellent picks with tons of upside and all look definite NHL material. I can post updates throughout the year for these players if you wish. 4 excellent picks, nice work.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:06 PM
KingofSpain

Amazing draft! You guys should feel very lucky. Bolland, Berti, Garlock and Sindel are all great picks that I would have considered 15-20 spots earlier. OHL heavy draft, but that isn't a bad thing. I wish Calgary could have gotten at least one of the players your team picked. Congrats, and good luck in the future.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Chelios

I know as Hawks fans we have grown pessimistic and love seeing the bad side of things, but to tell you the truth I can`t find anything wrong witht his 1st day of the draft. I am extremely pleased with the picks and can`t wait to see the hawks in a few year.

Old
06-27-2004, 01:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
you guys had one of the best drafts of day 1 if not the best.
kuddos to your teams organization on a job well done on day 1

Old
06-27-2004, 02:40 AM
GaryU

Thank you all. Here's hoping they develop quickly, for the obvious reason.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:35 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Round 1, 3rd overall: D Cam Barker, Medicine Hat (WHL)
Round 2, 32nd overall: C/RW Dave Bolland, London (OHL)
Round 2, 41st overall: LW Bryan Bickell, Ottawa (OHL)
Round 2, 45th overall: C Ryan Garlock, Windsor (OHL)
Round 2, 54th overall: C Jakub Sindel, Sparta Praha (CZE)
Round 3, 68th overall: LW Adam Berti, Oshawa (OHL)

More to come
great draft....you Hawk fans have alot to look foward to

now if only wirtz would sell the team...

06-27-2004, 08:15 AM
pittengineer

Great Day 1. You def. win the "Best Day 1 Draft of the Year" award.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Puckyinz

Hey there pittengineer

Nice to see a fellow 'Lair poster that comes here

Old
06-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Dizzy

Well you got both Windsor players that I was hoping Philly might take. See my avatar, that's Garlock and Maunu. I think they've both got good potential and should be leaders for the Spitfires next season. Looks like some nice picks. Congrats.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Jyssy

Your 9:th round pick Anttila played last season in finnish 4:th best league. Even though he will play next season in Junior A league with Ilves i wonder why in the blue hell you drafted him. His stats with Lempäälän kiekko were 9 6+10=16 8 pim. Besides that Hawks were great in this draft

Last edited by Jyssy: 06-27-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 01:32 PM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyssy
Your 9:th round pick Anttila played last season in finnish 4:th best league. Even though he will play next season in Junior A league with Ilves i wonder why in the blue hell you drafted him. His stats with Lempäälän kiekko were 9 6+10=16 8 pim. Besides that Hawks were great in this draft
Because he is 6'7 long and forward.

He can play hockey and he is only 19 years old and put up points 18+18 whit 21 games. Also remember that still that league is just a 4th best league it's still men's league. He is average stick-handler, shot is very hard and he also can skate when think that he is that big also he is very hard worker. Not bad choise at all IMO.

Old
06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Flonaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK
He can play hockey and he is only 19 years old and put up points 18+18 whit 21 games. Also remember that still that league is just a 4th best league it's still men's league. He is average stick-handler, shot is very hard and he also can skate when think that he is that big also he is very hard worker. Not bad choise at all IMO.
Not a bad choice if you like Pietilä's sense of humor... :-P

The II-div. is pretty much what everyone in NA would call a beer league. The numbers don't mean anything when you consider the opposition he played against. There are a lot of kids that are 6"7' and have played hockey, I wouldn't call all of them good picks - even in the 79th round...

Well, I guess Pietilä must have seen something in this kid. But what the hell was he doing scouting II-div. games?!?

Old
06-27-2004, 05:33 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Round 8, 229th overall: C Eric Hunter, Prince George (WHL)
good pick for the 8th round, even with his off year i'm surprised hunter dropped this low. compare him to tucker and upshall, but imo a tad better offensive instincts. very involved, very agitating, likes to play physical and draw penalties, always in the other team's stars faces, can play the powerplay.

i'd say hunter's biggest asset as he matures is his sense without the puck, both defensively and offensively. defensively, he's very keen on getting to the predictable passing lanes, or predicting which guy is going to break free. he's also good on the rush and in the offensive zone without the puck. he runs effective picks, can get into open ice to take passes, is good at reading dump ins and passes from the other team's defense

solid pick, and next year means everything for him to get back to the form he showed as a 16 yr old, where he was being compared on the same level as gilbert brule (not offensively, just touted)

i like this pick for chicago

Old
06-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Hawkhead

Draft of they year!! Yes, 'bout time! The hawk office is apparently unbelievably happy.

Kyle Woodlief: Most teams would be lucky to get 2 NHL players in this draft. We (redline) believe Chicago got 8-10!!

www.chicagoblackhawks.com

check, check, check, check a check it out whats, whats, whats, whats, it all about??

Old
06-28-2004, 10:31 AM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
Not a bad choice if you like Pietilä's sense of humor... :-P

The II-div. is pretty much what everyone in NA would call a beer league. The numbers don't mean anything when you consider the opposition he played against. There are a lot of kids that are 6"7' and have played hockey, I wouldn't call all of them good picks - even in the 79th round...

Well, I guess Pietilä must have seen something in this kid. But what the hell was he doing scouting II-div. games?!?
Show me one kid who is 6'7-6'9 right winger and also can play hockey that well.

If you don't now then i have to tell you that 5. pick Blake Wheeler also played some crap league. That league where Wheeler played it's not man's league or beer league it's a kid's league. I think it's still harder play men's league what you called beer league than play kid's league. Anttila going to be play next year Ilves A-juniors or FNL team so i thin we going to see next year what kind of player he is.

This is from chicagoblackhawks.com

Chicago's final pick of the draft, winger Marko Anttila, is a bit of an enigma -- so much so that prior to his selection in the final round, the Hawks' draft table half-jokingly referred to Anttila as their "secret weapon" because they were confident that no other scouts even knew who he was, much less had seen him play.

Anttila appeared on the Hawks' radar when a good friend and former player under Pietila, who now coaches one of Finland's top-tier teams, called at the start of his training camp this summer and told him, "Saki, you have to get here. We have something special here."

"They had a tryout and nobody knew him," Pietila said about Anttila, who is listed at 6-7 but may be closer to 6-9. "I stayed two days and watched their scrimmages. I was really impressed.

"He's a right wing shooting right who can move and shoot the puck. He has good hands. I just can't wait to see what he'll be in three or four years."

Anttila should be playing for Ilves in Finland's Elite League next season, along with Hawk prospects Teemu Jaaskelainen and Tommi Jaminki.

Last edited by IFK: 06-28-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old
06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Flonaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK
Show me one kid who is 6'7-6'9 right winger and also can play hockey that well.

If you don't now then i have to tell you that 5. pick Blake Wheeler also played some crap league. That league where Wheeler played it's not man's league or beer league it's a kid's league. I think it's still harder play men's league what you called beer league than play kid's league. Anttila going to be play next year Ilves A-juniors or FNL team so i thin we going to see next year what kind of player he is.
Well, just off the top of my head Juhamatti Yli-Junnila and Karri Akkanen. Both were miles ahead of Anttila at the same point in time in their careers. Neither has so far shown anything at the SM-liiga level. Yli-Junnila has displayed glimpses of great play, Akkanen's merits are so far in changing Tampere teams.

Akkanen is a good skater for his size, Yli-Junnila has brilliant hands and stickhandling. Not having ever heard of Anttila before, still I'm almost 100% sure that he's not nearly as good as either of those two - otherwise he wouldn't be playing with LeKi.

It was pretty much a joke, as even the bhawks site noted. Anyways, it's a 9th rd pick, doesn't matter. Might as well use a 9th rd on a millionmile longshot, looks that much smarter if it should pan out.

I'm with you all the way on Wheeler, you can check out the thread on the prospects board. Dominating 15yo kids that weigh 140lbs is still easier - even if they're good players - than playing against grown men - even if they're in a beer league.

edit. That part "might be even 6"9'" is just building the myth. It goes with these type of stories, urban hockey legends of sorts. Next time the story goes around he's 7"2' and shoots 108mph.

Old
06-28-2004, 12:48 PM
IFK

Quote:
Well, just off the top of my head Juhamatti Yli-Junnila and Karri Akkanen. Both were miles ahead of Anttila at the same point in time in their careers. Neither has so far shown anything at the SM-liiga level. Yli-Junnila has displayed glimpses of great play, Akkanen's merits are so far in changing Tampere teams.

Akkanen is a good skater for his size, Yli-Junnila has brilliant hands and stickhandling. Not having ever heard of Anttila before, still I'm almost 100% sure that he's not nearly as good as either of those two - otherwise he wouldn't be playing with LeKi.

It was pretty much a joke, as even the bhawks site noted. Anyways, it's a 9th rd pick, doesn't matter. Might as well use a 9th rd on a millionmile longshot, looks that much smarter if it should pan out.
I still think Anttila is a good choice. Of course he chances to coming NHL player is very limited, but if he development his game he maybe had a chance. It's sure that he won't be ever 1-2 line player, but i think it's not out of the question that he coming to be 4th line winger some team. I have never seeing him play, but i am thrilled to see him play next year. This pick is IMO little risk-high reward type pick and if Chicago see something on him i think it's very smart to give he a chance to coming good player. If he someday plays NHL, it's sure that he will be a monster and there is not meny of players who can move him. Have you seen him play? If not i think you can't judge him play and what he can do or what he can't do.

Quote:
edit. That part "might be even 6"9'" is just building the myth. It goes with these type of stories, urban hockey legends of sorts. Next time the story goes around he's 7"2' and shoots 108mph.
This is true meny times, but i have hard to sy what is him height cause i haven't see him yet. We will see next year what cinda of man he is, maybe he is bust, but who nows?

Old
06-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Stuy

This was posted on the blackhawkzone.com. Something to think about.

time for a little perspective.
« on: Today at 08:06:10am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the chicago blackhawks were given a grade of A for their 2000 draft by many independent scouting services.

here is who they picked:

Mikhail Yakubov
Pavel Vorobiev
Jonas Nordqvist
Igor Radulov
Scotty Balan
Olli Malmivaara
Alexander Barkunov
Michael Ayers
Joey Martin
Cliff Loya
Vladislav Luchkin
Adam Berkhoel
Peter Flache
Reto Von Arx
Arne Ramholt

4 years later, nobody has cracked the lineup on a regular basis.
something to keep in mind.

Old
06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It was a Smith draft. We drafted Canadien kids with work ethic this year.

Closed Thread