HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs and Komi negotiating (per Pedneault on CKAC)

Old
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Only one player in the NHL broke 200 in both blocked shots (227: 1st in NHL) and hits (266: 2nd in NHL): Mike Komisarek.

You can argue if someone hits harder or blocks *better* shots, but when you don't favour one or the other and you do both at an alarming rate, its safe to say hes the best in the league at it.
I already elaborated in my edit, but Volchenkov did it the year before and was 30 shots away from blocking 300. A player getting the most points and goals one year doens't mean he's suddenly the best offensive player in the league. I think this is even more the case when it comes to hits and blocked shots which vary from arena to arena.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
24 years ago.... my point stands.
It's pretty dumb that the NHL hasn't introduced a Doug Harvey Best Defensive Defenceman Award and just separated the two. Makes more sense than this rumoured Wayne Gretzky Assists Trophy.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
id say atleast 3.75 million
Wow...how do you come up with such a low number?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
24 years ago.... my point stands.
Yeah and how many years ago was it that a goalie was named team captain?

Rod Langway won a Norris when offensive guys won it for 17 straight years. Who's to say when Pronger/Zubov/Neidermayer/Lidstrom retire in a couple years that a new Rod Langway will be rewarded

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
Well that sucks. I mean, I'd like to see this guy being named the best NHL d-man someday.
He's awesome, but It's wishfull thinking. Let's see him become the best(or second best) on the team and go from there.

Quote:
It's pretty dumb that the NHL hasn't introduced a Doug Harvey Best Defensive Defenceman Award and just separated the two. Makes more sense than this rumoured Wayne Gretzky Assists Trophy.
Well, that would just make one more trophy for the Lidstroms, Prongers and Niedermayer who are all better defensive guys than most D's branded as "defensive".

Old
10-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Yeah and how many years ago was it that a goalie was named team captain?

Rod Langway won a Norris when offensive guys won it for 17 straight years. Who's to say when Pronger/Zubov/Neidermayer/Lidstrom retire in a couple years that a new Rod Langway will be rewarded

First off I don't know what that has to do with a defensive defenseman winning the Norris.

Second, your statement just further proves how rare it is for a defensive defenseman to win the Norris.

So could it happen..sure why not. But the history of the Norris shows that it's highly unlikely.

10-03-2008, 07:46 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Well, that would just make one more trophy for the Lidstroms, Prongers and Niedermayer who are all better defensive guys than most D's branded as "defensive".
J't'ai cassé!

So true... It's funny when you think about it, but the best defensive defenseman is also the best offensive defenseman in Lidstrom... actually, I would say Markov is better than Komi defensively...

We could always have a Robinson trophy for the most physical d-man

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
J't'ai cassé!

Did you? Sincèrement, I don't remember any discussions about this, or at least about the defensive prowess of Lidstrom, Zubov and friends.

Old
10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
First off I don't know what that has to do with a defensive defenseman winning the Norris.

Second, your statement just further proves how rare it is for a defensive defenseman to win the Norris.

So could it happen..sure why not. But the history of the Norris shows that it's highly unlikely.
Well he's basing the fact that a defensive player won't win the Norris on the fact that it hasn't happened in a while: so I told him something else that hadn't happened in a while (Luongo named Captain). Just goes to show you can't base tomorrow on yesterday

And yes it's rare for a defensive defenseman to get a Norris, but Beaker stated like it was a fact that the NHL would never ever give a Norris to a player without 50 points. .........Yet they have

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Well he's basing the fact that a defensive player won't win the Norris on the fact that it hasn't happened in a while: so I told him something else that hadn't happened in a while (Luongo named Captain). Just goes to show you can't base tomorrow on yesterday

And yes it's rare for a defensive defenseman to get a Norris, but Beaker stated like it was a fact that the NHL would never ever give a Norris to a player without 50 points. .........Yet they have
Ok I see your point.

Personally I think the chances of it happening are pretty slim. Take a quick look at this link I'm providing. You can pretty much count the true defensive defenseman to win the Norris with under 50pts on one hand.

http://www.nhl.com/trophies/norris.html

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Trexim

Excellent news. I am guessing it's going to be $5 million or more (per year) on a 4+ year deal.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I might be saying something quite big here.....but since Pedneault has joined CKAC, I'm now switching back and forth from McGuire to him since Pedneault's show starts at 5:30 and McGuire's segment starts at 5:25......Pedneault is doing a great job since he began. He has interesting guests, he interviewd Julien Brisebois not so long ago (interview I missed 'cause I was listening to Team and just got the end of it...) and he just seem to at ease that it makes it an interesting show to follow..
Talk radio is his calling. One of the biggest problems with him as the color analyst is that half the time he would drift the subject away from the game and the conversation would continue during the play...

Quote:
So I did caught the end of his show when he announced it but didn't listen to the whole show 'cause....I was with McGuire the whole time..
Good to know someone else heard what he said about the Komo negotations, proof I didn't imagine it. I still would like to know though if that was the first time he mentioned it on air.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Next Best Thing*

Does a trophy really matter? Kind of shallow.

Komisarek will be Komisarek and if he deserves to win a trophy then people will take notice hopefully but what does that change? How about Cup rings? Are those good too?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
HabsOfSteel

Quote:
The amount of money you make doesn't make you better than someone else, it means thats how important you are to a team or thats how much you chose to be paid.

Iginla makes only $7M and Brodeur only makes $5.2M, but that doesn't mean everyone who makes more than them are better players. It's also about the market and who you were competing against.
More money equals better than.

HabsOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsOfSteel View Post
More money equals better than.

Damnit... Worthington's Law. I concede

Old
10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pedneault just said on CKAC that the Habs and Komisarek's camp are negotiating right now and the talks are going well...a deal could even be signed within a few days or weeks

He said that just as I tuned in, did he talk about this earlier in his show ? They played Gainey's PC earlier and Gainey didn't even talk of Komisarek's situation so it didn't come from there.

I hope Pedneault's right of course, but I would like some more confirmation/background. He did call the Lang deal like 3 hours before it happened.

That would be great news. Komi is probably the #1 priority among UFA/RFA's. Plekanec, Higgins, Koivu, Kovy and Tanguay should also be on his plate.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
4 years 4-5 mil per.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
People want to start taking a guess how much Komi will sign for? Mine...6 year-33 million
That is too much for a guy who does not really play on the PP. 4.5 max or he can walk! There is plenty of depth on D on this team.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
That is too much for a guy who does not really play on the PP. 4.5 max or he can walk! There is plenty of depth on D on this team.
Not that I don't see his value, but on a 5-6 year deal hopefully we can get him for 4-4.5 per yaer as you said by frontloading the contract.

Give him 6 mil then 5 mil, 4 mil, 4 mil, 3 mil and 3 mil, 25 mil for 6 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Have you ever seen 6 Komisarek mold defencemen on a single team?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm hoping it will be something like 18M for 4 years (4.5 per).

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not that I don't see his value, but on a 5-6 year deal hopefully we can get him for 4-4.5 per yaer as you said by frontloading the contract.

Give him 6 mil then 5 mil, 4 mil, 4 mil, 3 mil and 3 mil, 25 mil for 6 years.
To be honest I'd prefer to backload then front load it, only because of how many guys we'll need to re-sign in the next few years, I'd prefer to take the hit later than now.

Old
10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
To be honest I'd prefer to backload then front load it, only because of how many guys we'll need to re-sign in the next few years, I'd prefer to take the hit later than now.
The hit is constant. It's the average salary of the contract.

Also, it's smarter for a player to sign a front-loaded contract.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:39 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

To be more precise, I'd say :

5 years, 23,5M

Averaging 4,7M/year.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
emb24*

gainey loves team guys - komi is the ultimate team guy. his intangibles are worth a lot. BG always has a poker face so who knows? i expect komi to be back, i expect kovy and saku to take home town discounts...the guy imo who won't be resigned before next summer is tanguay. why? because they will wait and see if one of pacioretty, tenderness or kos jr can replace him.

wow our habs have some very nice problems

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote