HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud Lavoie seems convinced Chipchura is starting the year here. Check the Carbo extension video on RDS.ca.
Here's hoping that you're right. I don't know how someone can seriously say that Chipper hasn't outperformed Lapierre at camp with a straight face, unless they're infatuated with him. Their performances haven't even been close. Maybe he should change his name to Chipchurochelle or something...

Old
10-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Here's hoping that you're right. I don't know how someone can seriously say that Chipper hasn't outperformed Lapierre at camp with a straight face, unless they're infatuated with him. Their performances haven't even been close. Maybe he should change his name to Chipchurochelle or something...
I think both Lapierre and Chip should be on the team. Dandenault has to go, even if it's on recallable waivers plus one of Begin and Kostopoulos.

Old
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Lapierre being french has nothing to do with it. People forget this team is run by an Ontarian and is owned by an American. It's only the media that cries for French Canadians.

Old
10-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
The thing with Chipchura is that being a "defensive centerman"", his face-off skills are such a disgrace to that position.

I mean, how come that a guy who played all of his line at center is that miserable in the circle ?! Nobody taught him how do to face-offs properly ?!

With some okay face-off skills, he would've made this team in front of Lapierre, Begin and all... Again in his last game, he won only 25% of his face-offs (Versus Detroit I think)... I remembered 2 important that he lost in his own zone, giving scoring chances to the opposition.

For a supposely defensive centermen, being so weak in this aspect of the game is just beyond me...

If you're really here to help (actually, no one on this forum believes that), stop bellyaching and teach Chipchura how to improve his faceoff skills.

Old
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

once again guys, Chipchura will start in Hamilton. Gainey said the 23 players with NHL contracts will begin with the Habs. Chipchura is not in this group.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
once again guys, Chipchura will start in Hamilton. Gainey said the 23 players with NHL contracts will begin with the Habs. Chipchura is not in this group.
Actually, Chips' contract status is the same as O'Byrne's and SKost's. None of them need to clear waivers and all have two-way contracts, as do MaxPac and Weber. Latendresse has a two-way contract but would have to clear waivers.

Having said that, I think you are right. Dandenault looks to be staying. Barring injury, Chips will go down because he hasn't dislodged SKost and Weber will go down because he hasn't dislodged O'Byrne.

While I think Chipchura and Pacioretty should play for the Habs and would contribute handsomely, especially MaxPac, Bob Gainey does not seem to want to place any of the veterans on waivers.

Old
10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The thing with Chipchura is that being a "defensive centerman"", his face-off skills are such a disgrace to that position. I mean, how come that a guy who played all of his line at center is that miserable in the circle ?! Nobody taught him how do to face-offs properly ?!With some okay face-off skills, he would've made this team in front of Lapierre, Begin and all... Again in his last game, he won only 25% of his face-offs (Versus Detroit I think)... I remembered 2 important that he lost in his own zone, giving scoring chances to the opposition.For a supposely defensive centermen, being so weak in this aspect of the game is just beyond me...

Perhaps it's best to look at the big picture first. Chipchura is a prospect who is entering his 3 year as a pro, developing prospects is a process for each one, some excell very quickly and unexpectedly like say Bergeron and others take longer to establish themselves like say Markus Naslund who at 18 was a stud in the SEL but coming over to NA at 20 years old, it took him 6 years to really breakout.

Chipchura is a defensive centerman, there's no supposing, it's a fact. His face-off abilities were fine at the junior level and he got the job done at the AHL level. In the NHL he's had trouble in this area for sure, but he's also still learning how to play at the highest level so it's not unheard of that a young player in his 2nd year as a pro, has some difficulity with certain aspects of his game against the very best players.

The hope is that he works hard on those areas and over time he improves, if not he likely won't stay in the NHL for long. Chipchura is a work in progress, there's lot of good things about his game and there's areas he needs to improve on. Clearly he's very good in his own end, and on the PK, he works hard every game, he's very smart and he has underrated offensive skills imo. He does need to work on his skating, improve his foot speed and first step quickness, he's got to get better in the face-off cirlce and I'd like to see him get more power on his shot and use his size better.

That said he has shown good improvement year over year and I think he can be an elite defensive forward if he can continue to improve on his weaker areas over the next say 3 or so years. Because he's such a smart and hard working player with some offensive skills, I think he will play in the NHL for sure but I could be wrong or he might not improve any more as some players just plateau. I would be surprised if this was the case, in talking with him when he was with Prince Albert, he seems like a very good kid, he knows what he has to do, but it takes time.

I think he's looked good from what I've seen in the preseason and if he continues to get better then that's good for the Habs and him.

Old
10-04-2008, 11:34 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud Lavoie seems convinced Chipchura is starting the year here. Check the Carbo extension video on RDS.ca.
Weird.
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/260994.html
Quote:
Vendredi, Pacioretty et Chipchura étaient vêtus d'un chandail de couleur bourgogne, celle des réservistes. De son côté, Weber s'est entraîné à la ligne bleue en l'absence de Francis Bouillon et Ryan O'Byrne.

"Ces jeunes auront l'occasion de jouer avec des joueurs de leur âge, a-t-il dit. Ca ne sera pas facile pour autant. Ils devront survivre aux séries de trois matchs en trois soirs et aux longues randonnées en autobus. Ils vont aussi devoir se frotter à de la bonne compétition. C'est comme ça qu'ils vont apprendre. Un séjour dans les mineures n'est jamais une expérience négative. J'espère les voir réaliser de petites choses avant de faire le grand saut."
But I think there might be something out of context in that article. But when I first read it I was convinced Chipchura was starting in the AHL.

Old
10-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I definitely would have kept him over Dandenault...

Old
10-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Erika

Quote:

Chipchura on the Press Box doesn't help him improves his Face-off skills...

Old
10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
There isn't enough icetime to go around. Dandenault can still in press box, while Pacioretty needs to play. Pacioretty playing 18 minutes a game down in the AHL is what is best for his development.

Old
10-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Corey

Quote:

The profundity of that observation is breathtaking. Did you originate it or did Little Brother whisper it in your ear?

Old
10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Speaking of teaching, in case you hadn't noticed, there was no mention of press box in my post.

As a matter of fact, he would have played center on the 4th line, sharing time with Lapierre, at least in my books.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:

Of course it does. They practice almost daily.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:18 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

He could improve during the practices , againts Plekanec , Koivu , Lang and with Carbo himself

Old
10-04-2008, 05:02 PM
HotPie

Ugh. Chipchura should be centering that 4th line...not Lapierre.

Old
10-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Maxpac

mother *******, the dream's over guys, Lappierre is centering the 4th line and Chipchura isin't playing

Old
10-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Pascal

Lapierre stinks.

Old
10-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
The thing with Chipchura is that being a "defensive centerman"", his face-off skills are such a disgrace to that position.

I mean, how come that a guy who played all of his line at center is that miserable in the circle ?! Nobody taught him how do to face-offs properly ?!

With some okay face-off skills, he would've made this team in front of Lapierre, Begin and all... Again in his last game, he won only 25% of his face-offs (Versus Detroit I think)... I remembered 2 important that he lost in his own zone, giving scoring chances to the opposition.

For a supposely defensive centermen, being so weak in this aspect of the game is just beyond me...

Here are Chipchura's face-off stats in pre-season:

Sept 27 versus Senators - 9/15 = 60%
Sept 30 versus Red Wings - 8/16 = 50%
Oct 1 versus Bruins - 2/8 = 25%
Total - 19/39 = 49%

So in the grand scheme of things, Chipchura's face-off ratio has been respectable for a young pro who is still developing and trying to find his way into the Show. In the Detroit game that you refer to, Chips went 50% and the guy you've been lobbying for, Lapierre, went 4/13 for 31% in that same game.

This is just another case where your extremely bizarre hatred for Chips has led you to cherry-pick something negative in his game when he's been far more effective than Lapierre in pre-season in so many aspects of the game, including face-offs.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:59 PM
la25ecoupe

Chipchura is STAYING! Confirmed by Carbo. He said three players are cut! Weber, Pax, and Denis!!

Old
10-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
It sounds like he is...

Old
10-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Beakermania*

Okay lets use the updated new news thread.

Closed Thread