HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade Bob Gainey's 5 Year Plan

View Poll Results: Gainey's 5 Year GM Grade
A+ 41 12.50%
A 109 33.23%
A- 101 30.79%
B+ 53 16.16%
B 10 3.05%
B- 5 1.52%
C 3 0.91%
D 0 0%
F 1 0.30%
The Jury is Still Out 5 1.52%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Re: Fischer

He's an NCAA player... he can't come to camp or he would lose his NCAA eligibility. He can go to a development camp in the summer (provided he pays for it himself and the habs don't pay for him to come to Montreal) but he cannot participate in the fall camps when they pick the team, no preseason games... none of that stuff. Same reason why McDonagh, Kristo, Conboy, and others weren't there.

Its a stupid rule by the NCAA, but its the rule.

No blame on Fischer and this doesn't mean anything bad about how he is developping.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

He's an NCAA player... he can't come to camp or he would lose his NCAA eligibility. He can go to a development camp in the summer (provided he pays for it himself and the habs don't pay for him to come to Montreal) but he cannot participate in the fall camps when they pick the team, no preseason games... none of that stuff. Same reason why McDonagh, Kristo, Conboy, and others weren't there.

No blame on Fischer and this doesn't mean anything bad about how he is developping.
McDonagh and Fischer and subban will both be signed for hamilton next year, mark my words

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
McDonagh and Fischer and subban will both be signed for hamilton next year, mark my words
Both of the three of them ? That's very wishful thinking !

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Thanks very much.

So do you know when McDonagh, Fischer and Kristo lose their NCAA status?

I know Kristo was drafted this year, but surely McDonagh and Fischer will be there next year??

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:20 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainey#1 View Post
Thanks very much.

I know Kristo was drafted this year, but surely McDonagh and Fischer will be there next year??
I'd guess when they quit or finish college.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainey#1 View Post
Thanks very much.

Fischer has 2 years left..... (including this season)
McDonagh has 3 years of eligibility
Kristo is still in high school, he doesn't even start in the NCAA until next season.

However the habs could sign any of these guys to a contract before their eligibility is up and put them in Hamilton or Montreal if they want to. Pacioretty still had 3 years left when we signed him in the summer. You can even get a guy to leave at midseason if you want. Okposo did so with the Isles last year.

Old
10-04-2008, 12:34 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Adding players such as Kovy, Tanguay, Huet, Lang, Hamrlick for peanuts while drafting well was great. The Ribs trade and Theo signing were black marks. Sammy was a bum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Sorry but what is the point of rating Gainey's seasons individually? It's all part of a bigger plan...

If I were to take all those seasons and AVG it out I would give him an A for sure!! (could be A+ or worst..) And this is a distinctive honnour by the way; take a team from the crud we had and turn it into a SC contender deserves recognition.

hn to: Andre Savard who I will always respect

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Summer 2004 :

Drafted : Chipchura, Grabovski, Streit
Acquired : Radek Bonk, Huet
Signed : None

Summer 2005 :

Drafted : Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, S. Kostitsyn
Acquired : None
Signed : Kovalev (4 years, 4,5M/year), Dandenault (4 years, 1,75M/year)
Training camp : Assigned Latendresse to the QJMHL despite the kid having a great training camp. Signed Theodore to a long term deal.

Summer 2006 :
Drafted : Fischer, Maxwell, Carle, White, Valentenko
Acquired : Mike Johnson, Niinimaa
Signed : Sergei Samsonov
Training camp : Guillaume Latendresse makes the team before Andrei Kostitsyn. Ribeiro traded for Niinimaa.

Summer 2007 :
Drafted : Ryan McDonagh, Max Pacioretty, Subban, Fortier, Weber
Signed : Roman Hamrlik, Patrice Brisebois, Tom Kostopoulos, Bryan Smolinski
Training camp : Decides that Price, Grabovski, and Chipchura all make the team before Lapierre and Halak.

Summer 2008 :
Drafted : Danny Kristo, Steve Quailer, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, Patrick Johnson
Acquired : Prospect D Greg Pateryn, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay
Signed : Georges Laraque
Training camp : Likely sticks to the current roster, despite a great performance of many young guns.

Well here's my take :

Summer 2004 : B- (Good asset management, but poor drafting. His poorest IMO.
Summer 2005 : A- (Great draft, decent signings, Dandenault's was bad though.)
Summer 2006 : D+ (The signings and acquisitions were not what the team needed. The draft was not so good, but not so brutal neither. Ribeiro trade was this summer as well.)
Summer 2007 : A (GREAT draft, great signings)
Summer 2008 : A So far, hard to say, but I'd say that right now, it's another A (good draft, great assets management, he filled our needs well)
I think your way of grading is very contradictory.
You grade this past summer as an A, without knowing what will happen.
Yet in 2006, at the time, his moves did not look bad at all. Trading Ribs for Niinima was not the best move, true. But signing Samsonov seemed like a good move during the summer. Johnson turned out to be a pretty decent signing as well.
I also don't see how drafting Maxwell/Carle/Valentenko can be considered a bad draft.

Same can be said about 2004. His poorest draft?..Chipchura/Grabo/Streit?..Ok, Grabo didn't work out here, we'll see how he does in TO. But Chipper is slowly making our team and Streit was a pure gem for us last season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I give Gainey an F for Effort

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Mad Habber

Gimme a break.

First, why are we digging up this Ribiero crap again. Has it been a week since the last time we discussed this yet Ribiero was traded because he needed to go. Point finale. All we got was Ninimaa because that is all he was worth at the time. Not Gainey's fault, but Ribiero's

Next, a lot of people were happy with the Samsonov signing at the time. I wasn't at first, but warmed up to it during the summer to finally sour on him after watching him play for a while like the rest of us. Again not Gainey's fault, but the player's for showing up out of shape and expecting he'd get a free ride.

You also fail to mention the guys that Gainey attempted to sign. The Arnott's, Shanahan, Smyth, Briere, Sundin. For whatever reasons they chose to go elsewhere or nothing at all in Sundin's case, rather than the competitive offers from Gainey. The only way any of those guys were coming was by way of a Mike Gillis type contract offer. And at that price, I think most of us can agree that we are better off without them.

Also in the trades department, you omitted the Theodore for Abischer trade. Abi didn't play any better than Theo over the long haul, but at least he only cost a fraction of the salary and cap and for half the length. Great move since we already had a #1 in Huet anyways. He in fact made up for the Roy trade, at least it takes a bit of the sting off when you couple the two trades together. Small consolation.

As for the draft picks, you are criticizing Gainey for the likes of Fisher and Chipchura when there isn't even room on the team for them. Fisher is fine where he is now. Knowledgeable hockey people say that you can't judge a draft until 5 years later. I think it takes longer than that given that after 5 years, the player might still be developing and have plenty to offer in years 6-10.

BTW, there were no signings in 2004 because it was the lookout year. No need to sign anyone if you are not icing a team right.

We are contenders on paper this year. Isn't that what you wanted at this point. We are favorite to come out of the east. If you are expecting more, than you are a hard person to please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think your way of grading is very contradictory.
You grade this past summer as an A, without knowing what will happen.
Yet in 2006, at the time, his moves did not look bad at all. Trading Ribs for Niinima was not the best move, true. But signing Samsonov seemed like a good move during the summer. Johnson turned out to be a pretty decent signing as well.
I also don't see how drafting Maxwell/Carle/Valentenko can be considered a bad draft.

Same can be said about 2004. His poorest draft?..Chipchura/Grabo/Streit?..Ok, Grabo didn't work out here, we'll see how he does in TO. But Chipper is slowly making our team and Streit was a pure gem for us last season.
That's the one I forgot. Gainey traded a redundant Zednik for a 3rd and acquired one year of use from Johnson for a 4th. That's great asset management in my books.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-04-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Gimme a break.

First, why are we digging up this Ribiero crap again. Has it been a week since the last time we discussed this yet Ribiero was traded because he needed to go. Point finale. All we got was Ninimaa because that is all he was worth at the time. Not Gainey's fault, but Ribiero's
Well, it's a rate Gainey's offseason thread and that trade was horrible. No one can make a sensible argument otherwise.
Quote:
Next, a lot of people were happy with the Samsonov signing at the time. I wasn't at first, but warmed up to it during the summer to finally sour on him after watching him play for a while like the rest of us. Again not Gainey's fault, but the player's for showing up out of shape and expecting he'd get a free ride.
Not Gainey's fault either? He's not held accountable for a terrible UFA signing? A lot of people knew Samsonov was a terrible fit.

Quote:
You also fail to mention the guys that Gainey attempted to sign. The Arnott's, Shanahan, Smyth, Briere, Sundin. For whatever reasons they chose to go elsewhere or nothing at all in Sundin's case, rather than the competitive offers from Gainey. The only way any of those guys were coming was by way of a Mike Gillis type contract offer. And at that price, I think most of us can agree that we are better off without them.
Every GM tries.

The rest I agree with you though, but getting all worked up because someone dared criticize a few of Gainey's very bad moves doesn't make much sense IMO. He's been great in most of his deals, but I think anyone can agree that 2006 was not a good year at all for him.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Gainey has now been our GM for the last few years, and has been at his post in the last 5 summers/offseasons. Now, to make a little change, I'm going to ask you to rate Gainey's offseasons based on :

- Drafting
- Trades
- UFAs
- Decisions taken on training camp (rookies...)

Summer 2004 :

Drafted : Chipchura, Grabovski, Streit
Acquired : Radek Bonk, Huet
Signed : None

Summer 2005 :

Drafted : Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini, S. Kostitsyn
Signed : Kovalev (4 years, 4,5M/year), Dandenault (4 years, 1,75M/year)
Training camp : Assigned Latendresse to the QJMHL despite the kid having a great training camp. Signed Theodore to a long term deal.

Summer 2006 :
Drafted : Fischer, Maxwell, Carle, White, Valentenko
Acquired : Mike Johnson, Niinimaa
Signed : Sergei Samsonov
Training camp : Guillaume Latendresse makes the team before Andrei Kostitsyn. Ribeiro traded for Niinimaa.

Summer 2007 :
Drafted : Ryan McDonagh, Max Pacioretty, Subban, Fortier, Weber
Signed : Roman Hamrlik, Patrice Brisebois, Tom Kostopoulos, Bryan Smolinski
Training camp : Decides that Price, Grabovski, and Chipchura all make the team before Lapierre and Halak.

Summer 2008 :
Drafted : Danny Kristo, Steve Quailer, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, Patrick Johnson
Acquired : Prospect D Greg Pateryn, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay
Signed : Georges Laraque
Training camp : Likely sticks to the current roster, despite a great performance of many young guns.

Well here's my take :

Summer 2004 : B- (Good asset management, but poor drafting. His poorest IMO.
Summer 2005 : A- (Great draft, decent signings, Dandenault's was bad though.)
Summer 2006 : D+ (The signings and acquisitions were not what the team needed. The draft was not so good, but not so brutal neither. Ribeiro trade was this summer as well.)
Summer 2007 : A (GREAT draft, great signings)
Summer 2008 : A So far, hard to say, but I'd say that right now, it's another A (good draft, great assets management, he filled our needs well)

So guys, what is your take? I just created this thread so we can talk about all the work done by Gainey in the last few years. Feel free to let your comments.
Yes, he signed Theo to that fat contract. But if you go back in time, can you imagine if he didn't? The uproar around Montreal? Heck, even when he fixed his mistake in trading him, the official Habs' forum crashed for two days!

The Ribeiro trade was an addition by subtraction. Although it would have been great to have more in return for the little punk, we got rid of a cancer in the dressing room and Gainey did an amazing job reading the personalities in the dressing room and addressing the problem and fixing it by bringing in team players and getting rid of Ribs and Theo.

The Samsonov ordeal was a fiasco but was in no way possible to anticipate. He wanted to play with Kovalev, turned out to be a cancer on the team. But again, I love the way Gainey handled the situation. When Samsonov publicly asked for a trade, Gainey immediately put him on waivers. When he went unclaimed, he told him directly that no team wanted him and that if he didn't want to find himself riding the bus in Hamilton, that he better kept his mouth shut!

Every GM will make mistakes. The signs of a good GM is not to make as many as others. The signs of a great GM is to be a good GM and know how to fix your mistakes while still progressing as a team.

Gainey gets an "A".

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Well, it's a rate Gainey's offseason thread and that trade was horrible. No one can make a sensible argument otherwise.

Not Gainey's fault either? He's not held accountable for a terrible UFA signing? A lot of people knew Samsonov was a terrible fit.

Every GM tries.

The rest I agree with you though, but getting all worked up because someone dared criticize a few of Gainey's very bad moves doesn't make much sense IMO. He's been great in most of his deals, but I think anyone can agree that 2006 was not a good year at all for him.
Trading Ribiero was a good trade. He had to go. He was a cancer in the locker room. Were he still here, he'd be a 40-50 point guy while we would still be wondering if we make the playoffs this year because our team sucks.

If you don't like the return, that's too bad, but that was the best available at the time. It's like that woman in the US who bought that house for $1.75. The house is worth more, but no one will offer more.

How many fans in 2006 were pissing and moaning and crying for Gainey to sign anybody. It didn't matter who, they wanted a name after Gainey's first, second and third choice went elsewhere. He shut the whiney fans up for a bit. Then he traded him a year later for 2 lessor contracts to buy out. Again good asset management after the initial signing didn't work out.

I don't think Gainey is beyond reproach, for instance, Gainey is to blame for letting Hainsey and Beauchemin go for nothing. 2 mistakes that cost us valuable assets. How good would our D look with Beauchemin as #4. O'Byrne in the #6 slot and Bouillon #7. I'm discounting Hainsey because he would still be gone as a UFA at this point. We just would have had him until this year.

I just think that the criticism that Gainey is receiving here isn't waranted or is misdirected.

Old
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
JTWymanFan*

If its just a rating you would like. I give B Gainey an ( A ). Just look back at what we had before and what he promised we would have for the 100th anniversary. Bob would be, if on the open market the most coveted GM. I would hate to see him in Boston or TO wouldn't you ?

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Trading Ribiero was a good trade. He had to go. He was a cancer in the locker room. Were he still here, he'd be a 40-50 point guy while we would still be wondering if we make the playoffs this year because our team sucks.

If you don't like the return, that's too bad, but that was the best available at the time. It's like that woman in the US who bought that house for $1.75. The house is worth more, but no one will offer more.

How many fans in 2006 were pissing and moaning and crying for Gainey to sign anybody. It didn't matter who, they wanted a name after Gainey's first, second and third choice went elsewhere. He shut the whiney fans up for a bit. Then he traded him a year later for 2 lessor contracts to buy out. Again good asset management after the initial signing didn't work out.

I don't think Gainey is beyond reproach, for instance, Gainey is to blame for letting Hainsey and Beauchemin go for nothing. 2 mistakes that cost us valuable assets. How good would our D look with Beauchemin as #4. O'Byrne in the #6 slot and Bouillon #7. I'm discounting Hainsey because he would still be gone as a UFA at this point. We just would have had him until this year.

I just think that the criticism that Gainey is receiving here isn't waranted or is misdirected.
And I think your excuses are weak and often speculation as you don't know either how Ribeiro would've turned out or what Gainey could've gotten had he waited. Everyone knew Niinimaa was damaged goods. If he did give in to the fans instead of listening to his judgement than I wouldn't think he had good judgement to begin with. However this isn't Gainey's approach, I think he listened to his scouts and went for a player he thought could add offense for a reasonnable price(had he gotten say 60-70 points).

Every GM has excuses for even their worst deals. A lot of Bruins fans tried to justify the Thornton deal and still do, it doesn't change the fact it was a horrible trade. I voted A- for his 5 year plan and I think he's top 5 in the league, but I'm not going to blindly defend all of his moves. I think the OP got it right.

Old
10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Just so everybody knows... This is not a bashing thread. I just wanted to discuss Gainey's work and offseasons. Every GM have some hard offseasons, and some good ones. I just wanted to create this thread so we could talk about the past drafts, the past UFA pools, and make the point on how he built this team from scrap..... Which is proving, IMO, that he's one of the 5 best GMs in the league.

KrissE, have you ever made a post where you actually write what you think, instead of just bashing the other posters and trying to bring the point of other guys down?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Just so everybody knows... This is not a bashing thread. I just wanted to discuss Gainey's work and offseasons. Every GM have some hard offseasons, and some good ones. I just wanted to create this thread so we could talk about the past drafts, the past UFA pools, and make the point on how he built this team from scrap..... Which is proving, IMO, that he's one of the 5 best GMs in the league.

KrissE, have you ever made a post where you actually write what you think, instead of just bashing the other posters and trying to bring the point of other guys down?
Sorry man I completely disagree. Kriss always has logical arguments and he does it without bashing anyone. I've debated numerous times with him and he never attacks the person. He discusses the issue, not the person he is debating with. If there are flaws with a person's argument what's wrong with expressing why we disagree with someone?

As far as rating Bob's grade so far; it's a little too early to give a grade I feel.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
And I think your excuses are weak and often speculation as you don't know either how Ribeiro would've turned out or what Gainey could've gotten had he waited. Everyone knew Niinimaa was damaged goods. If he did give in to the fans instead of listening to his judgement than I wouldn't think he had good judgement to begin with. However this isn't Gainey's approach, I think he listened to his scouts and went for a player he thought could add offense for a reasonnable price(had he gotten say 60-70 points).

Every GM has excuses for even their worst deals. A lot of Bruins fans tried to justify the Thornton deal and still do, it doesn't change the fact it was a horrible trade. I voted A- for his 5 year plan and I think he's top 5 in the league, but I'm not going to blindly defend all of his moves. I think the OP got it right.
You are also speculating if you think that Gainey would have gotten more for Ribiero if he held on to him longer. His value could of went down lower just as much as it could of risen.

As for Ninimaa, please tell me how this guy was "damaged goods".

Old
10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
brownman*

I love when Kriss writes 'lollllll'

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:50 PM
BulldogFever

How can anybody give him less than an A! Look at the roster 5 years ago and look at it now. We didn't even have a real first line. Our minor league system had no prospects of note. Now we can count Maxwell, White, Mcdonagh, Pacioretty, Weber, Subban, Fortier, Kristo, Quailer & Fisher - not bad. The only point that I can concede to the naysayers is that he wasn't able to attract many top free agents. But he did trade/sign Kovalev, Hamrlik, Tanguay, Lang, Gorges and Kostopoulos. Winning a Cup isn't easy to do without bringing in free agents, even Detroit brought in Rafalski, Stuart & Cleary.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
You are also speculating if you think that Gainey would have gotten more for Ribiero if he held on to him longer. His value could of went down lower just as much as it could of risen.

As for Ninimaa, please tell me how this guy was "damaged goods".
A severe torn ankle ligaments injury the year before he was traded to Montreal. He was already erratic defensively and barely holding on to a spot, this only made him worse.

Old
10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think some people don't understand the idea of the five year plan. But I digress.....A so far and A+ if we win the Cup this season.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think that if the man himself, Gainey, recognized yesterday what Savard has given him before he joined the Habs, maybe we should as well and not think that Gainey has done everything by himself.

He did great no question. But results are the only thing that are important. Sure, if you're able to go from Johan Witehall to Andrei Kostitsyn, you've done pretty good. But you also need to give the identity to your team which he just did last year in the regular season. Now a A+ GM needs to give an identity to his team in the playoffs. In my books, you get a A+ if you win the Cup.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-04-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that if the man himself, Gainey, recognized yesterday what Savard has given him before he joined the Habs, maybe we should as well and not think that Gainey has done everything by himself as well.
I agree... Savard definetely got the job started for us...

And gainey is putting the finishing touches

Old
10-04-2008, 05:43 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
If you count the lost year to the lockout, you're right. Since there was no hockey that year, this would be his 5th season.
So is this the 100th season for the Canadiens or the 99th?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote