Notices

Bring Back Roman Turek

Old
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 500
Bring Back Roman Turek

I think I have finally figured out why the Flames and Kiprusoff struggle and can't make it in the playoffs. The last year we had Roman Turek we won the Division, Kipper won the Vezina and well The flames still bombed the first round but at least we had a shot. The Year before that we went to the Finals Kipper never, and I mean never played a back to back game letting in 2 goals or more and when he let in 5+ he got a shutout the next game. This was because he was afraid for his job. Roman Turek provides solid back up hockey and pushes Kiprusoff in the way he needs to be... And we all know our playoff positioning and success rests the shoulders of the Finnish Superstar who struggled last season.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
StreakingRed

Turek? Really? I don't like that idea at all.

I'd much rather see one of the kids get the chance to backup Kiprusoff.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Turek? Really? I don't like that idea at all.

I'd much rather see one of the kids get the chance to backup Kiprusoff.
Lol you would rather one of the kids to Roman Turek if for some freak reason Kiprusoff was to go down for a couple months? In that Situation I would see Mclennan coming out of retirement lol. He had 3 shutouts in his short season in 03-04 he's also a pretty good goalie. Only person I would partially trust tending the pipes right now should Kipper fall is Irving and I'm not even sure he could handle it.

Old
09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Unfortunately I don't see a 38 year old goaltender who hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years doing very well. Especially in a starting role (in the example of Kipper being hurt long-term)

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
StreakingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
Lol you would rather one of the kids to Roman Turek if for some freak reason Kiprusoff was to go down for a couple months? In that Situation I would see Mclennan coming out of retirement lol. He had 3 shutouts in his short season in 03-04 he's also a pretty good goalie. Only person I would partially trust tending the pipes right now should Kipper fall is Irving and I'm not even sure he could handle it.

Yeah, I would. I would also rather have one of the kids in backup over McLennan, too, in that situation.

With the goaltending depth this organization has, at some point, these kids need to be given opportunities. I don't know if Keetley is ready or when he will be ready, but I'm pretty excited over the possibility of him backing up Kiprusoff in the near future.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I'd prefer to remember Roman for the way he left town in 2004. Let's give one of the kids a real chance this year.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Put proposal; Sign Turek at 1.5 million, 1 season

Post in the Trade Rumors board, you will find you fit right in.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Qubax

Turek...haha...NO...

It's good to see Curtis M get a one-way contract....Sutter is starting to finally play the players he has developed and cultivated....

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Ticonderoga

Terrible idea.

He did not want to be a back up here after we landed Kipper why would he want to come back.

I say let Curtis Mac have the job I think he is ready for it this year.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
AndersEriksson*

Bring Tommy Salo out of retirement.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
DownInFlames

HELLS NO. I am glad that Curtis McElhinney is getting an opportunity to backup. He has played exceptionally well for the baby Flames and I think he deserves the chance to take the next step. Man the Flames are stocked between the pipes with prospects. Brining in a vet would severely handicap some development.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I think I have finally figured out why the Flames and Kiprusoff struggle and can't make it in the playoffs. The last year we had Roman Turek we won the Division, Kipper won the Vezina and well The flames still bombed the first round but at least we had a shot. The Year before that we went to the Finals Kipper never, and I mean never played a back to back game letting in 2 goals or more and when he let in 5+ he got a shutout the next game. This was because he was afraid for his job. Roman Turek provides solid back up hockey and pushes Kiprusoff in the way he needs to be... And we all know our playoff positioning and success rests the shoulders of the Finnish Superstar who struggled last season.
huh?... Turek retired during the lockout following the '04 run... the following season (the one where we won the division, then subsequently lost in the 1st round) Phillipe Sauve & Brian Boucher were the Flames backups...

while I agree Turek was a large part of Kipper's success in the '04 playoffs I think that taking a chance on Turek is too big of a risk at this point in time... he has been playing a little back home with some excellent stats... but he chose to retire from the NHL to provide stability for his family, a stability that was not guaranteed playing in Calgary

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Terrible idea.

He did not want to be a back up here after we landed Kipper why would he want to come back.

I say let Curtis Mac have the job I think he is ready for it this year.
Turek restructured his contract just prior to the lockout which saw the Flames add a year and him take a significant paycut (I don't remember the dollar figures but his total for the next 2 years was barely more than he was going to make in 04/05) he chose to retire from the NHL with a year left because he wanted stability for his kids... prior to the lockout Turek expressed his love for the city of Calgary and his desire to play for the Flames, even in a diminished role...

as for McElhinney being the backup... I dunno... I think Keetley is the better of the 2 goaltenders right now

Old
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I'd prefer to remember Roman for the way he left town in 2004. Let's give one of the kids a real chance this year.
definitely... he earned a huge amount of respect from me after choosing his family over millions of dollars

Old
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Turek restructured his contract just prior to the lockout which saw the Flames add a year and him take a significant paycut (I don't remember the dollar figures but his total for the next 2 years was barely more than he was going to make in 04/05) he chose to retire from the NHL with a year left because he wanted stability for his kids... prior to the lockout Turek expressed his love for the city of Calgary and his desire to play for the Flames, even in a diminished role...

as for McElhinney being the backup... I dunno... I think Keetley is the better of the 2 goaltenders right now
Wow I never knew that thanks Lunatik (now I got to take back all those things I said about him). I could never fault a guy for choosing his family over a job. Still I do not think bring in another Vet is what this team needs as we have pretty good goaltending depth when they are all healthy. I think Matt is a fantastic goalie but another year in the AHL would be the best situation for him right now.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Wow I never knew that thanks Lunatik (now I got to take back all those things I said about him). I could never fault a guy for choosing his family over a job. Still I do not think bring in another Vet is what this team needs as we have pretty good goaltending depth when they are all healthy. I think Matt is a fantastic goalie but another year in the AHL would be the best situation for him right now.
Thanks for manning up and being fair to Turek... he really got a bad name here unfairly... and despite the way fans bashed him he was still willing to stay for more money... another thing alot of people don't realize is after he returned from his knee injury in 03-04 his numbers were almost identical to Kippers with the exception of wins... the Flames just never scored any goals for the guy... he was losing games 1-0 and 2-1 where for Kipper they were winning 2-1 and 3-2

his only downfall was being a high paid goaltender on a crappy team

Old
09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Hoser

I don't think Roman Turek would want to come back even if the Flames offered him something. Even then he doesn't fit into the Flames plans anymore anyway. McElhinney, Keetley and to a lesser extent Irving need NHL playing time to further their skills development and build confidence through experience. Bringing in another veteran goaltender à la CuJo last season sets them back another year.

It's too bad he left during the lockout and never came back, because at that time I think he was in greater need. At the time there wasn't much impetus to bring him back because it seems he never got credit for how well he played for an often miserable team, as previously pointed out. I think Turek was one of the best goaltenders the Flames ever had, in the top 5 at the very least (although I will admit after Kiprusoff and Vernon the list gets pretty congested with guys who were just 'pretty good').

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I don't think Roman Turek would want to come back even if the Flames offered him something. Even then he doesn't fit into the Flames plans anymore anyway. McElhinney, Keetley and to a lesser extent Irving need NHL playing time to further their skills development and build confidence through experience. Bringing in another veteran goaltender à la CuJo last season sets them back another year.

It's too bad he left during the lockout and never came back, because at that time I think he was in greater need. At the time there wasn't much impetus to bring him back because it seems he never got credit for how well he played for an often miserable team, as previously pointed out. I think Turek was one of the best goaltenders the Flames ever had, in the top 5 at the very least (although I will admit after Kiprusoff and Vernon the list gets pretty congested with guys who were just 'pretty good').
Maybe its because I'm biased but I would say Irving would benefit the most from starting time NHL and otherwise. He has so much upside, and potential I doubt either of the other two goalies ever see any legitimet starting time in the NHL, Maybe for Irvings first year starting he might split, but even then I would assume it would be Kiprusoff sharing the time with him.

Old
09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
AZCOYOT

I loved Roman but no.. he's old as hell now.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
IThis was because he was afraid for his job.
Kiprusoff's GAA was microscopic & his SP was sky high. He wasn't exactly looking over his shoulder.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Oblivion

I always liked Turek, right from when we aquired him. If I remembet correctly, he posted a SO in his Flames debut vs. the Oil. He was a good goalie, I don't understand why he gets such a bad rap.
He wasn't a franchise player, and look at the team in front of him when he was starting. I wouldn't mind having him as a Flame again, but not at his age.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I always liked Turek, right from when we aquired him. If I remembet correctly, he posted a SO in his Flames debut vs. the Oil. He was a good goalie, I don't understand why he gets such a bad rap.
At the beginning of the '01-'02 season, the Flames were off to (possibly) the greatest start in franchise history. Button was convinced that Turek was the solution to the unsettled #1 goaltending situation, based on his October performance. That led to a very large figure multi-year contract extension. Turek then reverted to subpar performance. The timing seemed more than coincidental.

Old
10-04-2008, 12:43 AM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
At the beginning of the '01-'02 season, the Flames were off to (possibly) the greatest start in franchise history. Button was convinced that Turek was the solution to the unsettled #1 goaltending situation, based on his October performance. That led to a very large figure multi-year contract extension. Turek then reverted to subpar performance. The timing seemed more than coincidental.
Pisses me off when fans get on a guy for signing a contract offered to them.. get mad at the GM, not the player.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:42 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
Pisses me off when fans get on a guy for signing a contract offered to them.. get mad at the GM, not the player.
+1

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
They got on the guy for not performing to the standards set before him. He was generously compensated to do that...and he fell way short. This had a massive ripple effect. If provided above average goaltending, as opposed to all-world, that team could've remained competitive throughout that season. He wasn't even average. Other problems, such as the friction b/t Gilbert & Savard, might not have become as pronounced later in the season.

BTW, that's an annoying user name you've got there.