HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Waive Cowan, Lose McIver to Ducks(TSN)

Old
10-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'm wondering how long Pettinger is out for...but I agree, Brown and Krog should be on their way to Winnipeg sometime around Sunday's game.

~Canucklehead~
Isn't Krog on a one-way? I doubt he'd get claimed, but I thought he turned down big money in Russia just to play in the NHL again.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen View Post
Isn't Krog on a one-way? I doubt he'd get claimed, but I thought he turned down big money in Russia just to play in the NHL again.
Krog is on a one-way, but Heisinger said the Moose would eat the majority of the contract if he plays for them in the AHL. He wants him that bad, because at the AHL level, he's a superstar.

Krog just hasn't played well enough to warrant being on the big club.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Is there a rule if the Ducks send him down to the AHL is the next little while, we get his rights back?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
Is there a rule if the Ducks send him down to the AHL is the next little while, we get his rights back?
No, but if they try to send him to the minors they will have to expose him to waivers and the Canucks will have a chance to re-claim him, in the waiver draft order.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
i think the rule is something like, if the Ducks send him down in the next 30 days, we essentially get him back (1st shot at him) AND we would be able to send him straight to the AHL.
I think i remember this was happened when PIT picked off Baumgartner from us and then sent him down a short while later and we picked him back up...

I'm a little surprised the Ducks picked him up... but they did just trade 2 dmen away...

i guess any fringe NHL dman can look ok playing along side Neidermeyer or Pronger...

anyone know what the Ducks defensive depth chart looks like?

EDIT:

The NHLers...
25 Chris Pronger 33 6-6 220 R Dryden, Ontario 10/10/74
27 Scott Niedermayer 35 6-1 200 R Edmonton, Alberta 8/31/73
23 Francois Beauchemin 28 6-0 214 R Sorel, Quebec 6/4/80
40 Kent Huskins 29 6-3 215 R Ottawa, Ontario 5/4/79
5 Steve Montador 28 6-0 210 L Vancouver, B.C. 12/21/79
33 Joe DiPenta 29 6-2 205 R Barrie, Ontario 2/25/79
2 Ken Klee 37 6-0 212 L Indianapolis, IN 4/24/71

The prospects.... who McIver looks to jump ahead of since he'll be on the 23 man roster.....
67 Ross Lupaschuk 27 6-1 211 L Edmonton, Alberta 1/19/81
60 Brendan Mikkelson 21 6-2 180 R Regina, Saskatchewan 6/22/87
79 Stu Bickel 22 6-3 200 R Chanhassen, MN 10/2/86
45 Brennan Evans 26 6-4 207 R Camrose, Alberta 1/6/82
53 Brett Festerling 22 6-1 200 R Quesnel, B.C. 3/3/86
75 Eric Regan 20 6-1 178 L Whitby, Ontario 5/20/88
55 Brian Salcido 23 6-2 188 R Los Angeles, CA 4/14/85

Last edited by DL44: 10-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.
DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Peter Griffin

Sucks to lose McIver, but realistically it appears he's around 9th or 10th on the Canucks defensive depth chart(Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, Edler, Bieksa, Krajicek, Davison, Nycholat, Baumgartner) so it's unlikely he would've seen much NHL action anyway. And with Hordichuk now on the team, his "enforcing abilities" aren't required as much.

Anyway, good to see that Cowan likely won't be on the team. I was fearing that the Canucks' would cheap out and keep Cowan around just because he's on a one-way, but I guess they did send Chouinard to the AHL in a similar fashion.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:29 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
The Ducks defense (beyond the top 3 obviously) is pretty damn shaky now. If any of their top 3 guys go down this year they're gonna struggle to stay afloat.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I was fearing that the Canucks' would cheap out and keep Cowan around just because he's on a one-way, but I guess they did send Chouinard to the AHL in a similar fashion.
um, no.

They bought Chouinard out, and the team still has part of his salary counting against the cap.

If Nonis had have had the guts to send Chouinard down, he could have easily signed a $4 million forward instead of Aaron Miller.

Would the team have made the playoffs last year with a player like Demitra on the second line? Probably. But then we'd still have Nonis, so it's a bit of a win/lose situation.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
iceburg

Sorry to see McIver go. Wasn't afraid of anyone. This decision was probably made the day Davison was signed.

No surprises with Cowan. Again, this decision was probably made when Hordichuk was signed. Also, Rypien and Brown deserve more of an opportunity to fill that role.

iceburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:36 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
um, no.

They bought Chouinard out, and the team still has part of his salary counting against the cap.
They sent him down half way into the 06/07 season, so they ate half of his salary in the minors. They bought out his contract for the 07/08 season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
um, no.

If Nonis had have had the guts to send Chouinard down, he could have easily signed a $4 million forward instead of Aaron Miller.
The team did send Chouinard to the minors half way through the season in 06/07. They bought him out prior to 07/08 out partly to save cash but also so he could move on and they wouldn't have a sulking player on their farm team, something that's not good to have around a bunch of young players. I don't blame the team at all for buying Chouinard out.

In any case, Chouinard's cap hit last season from the buyout was a paltry $400K or so, so that didn't prevent Nonis' from acquiring a $4M forward. Nonis effected Nonis' ability to address the secondary scoring issue.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The team did send Chouinard to the minors half way through the season in 06/07. They bought him out prior to 07/08 out partly to save cash but also so he could move on and they wouldn't have a sulking player on their farm team, something that's not good to have around a bunch of young players. I don't blame the team at all for buying Chouinard out.

In any case, Chouinard's cap hit last season from the buyout was a paltry $400K or so, so that didn't prevent Nonis' from acquiring a $4M forward. Nonis effected Nonis' ability to address the secondary scoring issue.
The fact that he absolutely sucked probably was a bigger factor. Cowan, despite the fact I don't want him on this team, likely would be of *some* use on the Moose.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
No, but if they try to send him to the minors they will have to expose him to waivers and the Canucks will have a chance to re-claim him, in the waiver draft order.

~Canucklehead~
I always thought the team that lost the player due to waivers - would also automatically get the first rights to claim him back if he was put on waivers again? Didn't that happen with Brookbank?

Old
10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I always thought the team that lost the player due to waivers - would also automatically get the first rights to claim him back if he was put on waivers again? Didn't that happen with Brookbank?
You are right.. we get first choice before it cycles through the waiver draft order

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I'm not going to lose any sleep, in fact I hope someone takes Cowan off our hands too, but I am assuming it's a pipe dream

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:20 PM
vancityluongo

Sucks about McIver. I wouldn't mind him as a 7th/8th guy if we trade Bieksa for a forward.

Ohlund-Edler
Mitchell-Salo
Krajicek-Davison
Nycholat
McIver

But meh, it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure we could easily pick up a similar guy off of waivers.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Riven

Quote:
I'm wondering how long Pettinger is out for...but I agree, Brown and Krog should be on their way to Winnipeg sometime around Sunday's game.

~Canucklehead~
Hmmmmm. Do you think it's possible that Pettinger might be out for, oh say, nine regular season games?

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I'm sure we could easily pick up a similar guy off of waivers.
Like McIver again maybe. I *think* the Ducks have 7 defensemen up - I don't think he's a #7 guy (don't know enough about the other "marginal" defensemen on the Ducks) so I would think the Ducks will likely send him down. Course, we can get into a sort of "merry-go-round" with claiming & re-claiming with the Ducks as McIver gets continually sent down.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:11 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Too bad to see McIver go. Let's just pray Nonis takes Cowan as well.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 04:14 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Like McIver again maybe. I *think* the Ducks have 7 defensemen up - I don't think he's a #7 guy (don't know enough about the other "marginal" defensemen on the Ducks) so I would think the Ducks will likely send him down. Course, we can get into a sort of "merry-go-round" with claiming & re-claiming with the Ducks as McIver gets continually sent down.
I was thinking about that, are there any rules against it?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Vman

So if the Canucks send Krog to the Moose, does he have to go through waivers and have a chance of getting picked by another team?

Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:20 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
So if the Canucks send Krog to the Moose, does he have to go through waivers and have a chance of getting picked by another team?
Yes, he has to clear waivers. Will he? At 750k on a one way deal...most likely.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Vector

Sucks about losing McIver. I like what he brought as a call-up. He must excited though. He's earned an spot on an NHL team with a player he knows (Morrison) and run by guys who drafted and developed him.

I'm indifferent to the Cowan situation. The only positive thing is that it shows contract status means nothing.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:52 PM
orcatown

Thought McIver was showing some good signs of progress this pre-season. Saw him as 9th on the depth chart. Little way the Canucks could have protected him other than to have moved him down earlier. However sure the team is not happy with this.

Ducks seem to make it a habit of taking players out of the Canucks organization - Huskins, Dipenta. Definitely gives them some depth. Ducks have done a good off-season job of managing their cap and roster size. Imagine they see McIver as long term replacement for O'Donnell. Maybe a little insurance against Klee being totally washed up. Will, however, mean that will probably have to carry 8 defensemen and this may mean McIver will have to be waived again.

Good on McIver for working his way into the League. Player that will never star but can give you some minutes of adequate play and toughness.

Dumping Cowan had to be done after terrible play last year and a bad pre-season. Means Brown deservely is a lot closer to a roster spot. Cowan should be able to go thru waivers and hopefully gives it a good effort for the Moose.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
um, no.

Would the team have made the playoffs last year with a player like Demitra on the second line? Probably. But then we'd still have Nonis, so it's a bit of a win/lose situation.
Chouinard did play for the Moose and Cowan could be the 2nd coming of him in Manitoba.

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote