HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

question about my new skates

Old
10-04-2008, 08:23 AM
bigbadrizz

vCash: 500
question about my new skates

I got a pair of ccm vector 10.0, I like the skates alot they feel good, have a great boot.... My only problem is that i feel like im leaning backwards in them, I have a game tonight and was wondering if i could get anything for them or do anything to prevent it. I've only skated in them once for about 45 minutes.

bigbadrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:40 AM
bigbadrizz

anybody?

Old
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
fielder

re: question about my new skates

bigbadrizz,

Find a quality hockey retailer that does "contouring" for skates in your area. IMPORTANT: Talk directly to the person doing the contouring. Generally I find CCM (and associated brands) skates to be more "forward" leaning than Bauer or Graf so this seems to be somewhat unusual. I would have them check the skates for the current blade angle. There may be a problem with the holder, current setup, etc.

"Contouring" is a process whereby they re-shape the blade through grinding and sharpening. You will lose some blade mass in the process but they will be able to adjust the angle of attack for your skates. There is a numbering system (which I really don't understand) for adjustment of the angle from neutral to either forward or back (positive or negative). The person you are dealing with should be able to explain this to you. If they can't I would find another retailer to deal with.

I had this done with my last pair of skates (Bauer 5000) and it made a huge difference in terms of the feel and performance.

Generally, the cost is around $20-$30 for both skates.

Good Luck

fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:24 AM
bigbadrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielder View Post
bigbadrizz,

Find a quality hockey retailer that does "contouring" for skates in your area. IMPORTANT: Talk directly to the person doing the contouring. Generally I find CCM (and associated brands) skates to be more "forward" leaning than Bauer or Graf so this seems to be somewhat unusual. I would have them check the skates for the current blade angle. There may be a problem with the holder, current setup, etc.

"Contouring" is a process whereby they re-shape the blade through grinding and sharpening. You will lose some blade mass in the process but they will be able to adjust the angle of attack for your skates. There is a numbering system (which I really don't understand) for adjustment of the angle from neutral to either forward or back (positive or negative). The person you are dealing with should be able to explain this to you. If they can't I would find another retailer to deal with.

I had this done with my last pair of skates (Bauer 5000) and it made a huge difference in terms of the feel and performance.

Generally, the cost is around $20-$30 for both skates.

Good Luck

thankyou verymuch...very helpful.

Old
10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
And I'll add, the contouring process does not take very long. You could have it done for your game tonight for sure. Depending on how busy the store is, you might have to leave your skates at the shop for an hour, if I had to guess.

(Mind you, Saturday is always the busiest day for sharpenings, so the wait might be longer...)

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Heel lifts.

Best thing I ever got done.

I can post pictures if you want.

10-04-2008, 06:53 PM
deanosaur

Superfeet helps you lean more forward as you might say.
OR it could just be the way you skate why it seems like you lean back them. It's not always the skate's fault.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote