HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PROPOSAL: Koivu & Higgins for Gaborik ?

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2008, 07:53 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Are you kidding me? You wouldnt trade Koivu and Higgins for a player like Gaborik Gaborik is probably among the top 10 goals scorers in the league but anyways that probably wouldnt even cut it for Minnesota.

More goals or even worse the potential for more goal does not win a cup, you need the intangibles that a guy like Koivu brings to the team. Goal scoring was not a problem for our team last year and will be even less of a problem for the foreseeable future.

I do not see why some fans of this team continually equate success with having one superstar near the top of the scoring race I would much rather have 4 or 5 in the top 30 which we most certainly could have this year.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:01 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
More goals or even worse the potential for more goal does not win a cup, you need the intangibles that a guy like Koivu brings to the team. Goal scoring was not a problem for our team last year and will be even less of a problem for the foreseeable future.

I do not see why some fans of this team continually equate success with having one superstar near the top of the scoring race I would much rather have 4 or 5 in the top 30 which we most certainly could have this year.
I hate to say this but i believe it's more a political thing then anything else in Koivu's case.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I hate to say this but i believe it's more a political thing then anything else in Koivu's case.
Really there are posters on here who would suggest trading Koivu for political reasons?? I would never have guessed....

Note: I'm not saying anyone in particular, nor am i saying the OP is doing this with this proposal... its a general statement that some of the koivu trade proposals we have seen over the years may be politically motivated.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Nothing much to say, it's a terrible idea.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
znk

People should feel pain when they post stuff like this.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
People should feel pain when they post stuff like this.
Sadly it's the rest of us that end up feeling the pain.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Perfect time for Saku to leave Montreal. I'm sure he waited his entire career playing on very mediocre teams to wait until the team was ready to start contending for the cup to waive his NTC.
Exactly.

Also considering that we are much deeper on the wing than at center. If I was to have to sacrifice someone, it would be Kovalev for Gaborik instead of Koivu, as Gaborik would replace Kovy.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Exactly.

Also considering that we are much deeper on the wing than at center. If I was to have to sacrifice someone, it would be Kovalev for Gaborik instead of Koivu, as Gaborik would replace Kovy.
That would make no sense for either team. Gaborik is a great player but you're trading our MVP and Minesota will not want a UFA they'll have trouble signing....I think they'd rather take their chance with Gaborik.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
That would make no sense for either team. Gaborik is a great player but you're trading our MVP and Minesota will not want a UFA they'll have trouble signing....I think they'd rather take their chance with Gaborik.
To be perfectly honest, I feel that Gaborik here makes no sense either, as the asking price would be too steep and he's a UFA next year. As I've said before, if Radulov's situation clears and he can come back to the NHL, he's the one I'd target.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

Wings and Pens were the cup finalists last season . 2 teams with both offensive stars la Crosby , Malkin , Datsyuk , Zetterberg . Koivu with "the intangibles he brings ", was playing golf duringf that time . Seriously , don't name Koivu when you are talking about what kind of players bring you a cup .

Old
10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Wings and Pens were the cup finalists last season . 2 teams with both offensive stars la Crosby , Malkin , Datsyuk , Zetterberg . Koivu with "the intangibles he brings ", was playing golf duringf that time . Seriously , don't name Koivu when you are talking about what kind of players bring you a cup .
Why not? Because he's never had the supporting cast to help him win a Cup makes him a bad example? Just look at his points per game in the playoffs...

Old
10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
To be perfectly honest, I feel that Gaborik here makes no sense either, as the asking price would be too steep and he's a UFA next year. As I've said before, if Radulov's situation clears and he can come back to the NHL, he's the one I'd target.
Well I wouldnt mind Gaborik but it would be a complex trade as we'd like to keep most of our core and the risk of losing him in the summer is great. I think we'll already have our hands full trying to sign the players we want to keep.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Koivu was our MVP few years ago, i agree , but he isn't anymore . Kovalev , Plekanek , A kost , Markov , Price , Komisarek are all ahead of Koivu by now .

Old
10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:

Old
10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Koivu was our MVP few years ago, i agree , but he isn't anymore . Kovalev , Plekanek , A kost , Markov , Price , Komisarek are all ahead of Koivu by now .
They werent in last years playoffs.... when the chips were down Saku was still our leader and our MVP. If everyone on the team played with as much heart and determination as him, we would win the cup no problem.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:54 PM
habsfan56

forget gaborik. too expenisve and way too fragile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
They werent in last years playoffs.... when the chips were down Saku was still our leader and our MVP. If everyone on the team played with as much heart and determination as him, we would win the cup no problem.
fully agree.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-04-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old
10-04-2008, 09:56 PM
znk

Quote:
I was talking about Kovalev.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Without those players Saku wouldnt even of had the chance to play in the playoffs...

Old
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
znk

Quote:
Yeah...just like Ray Bourque and all his career in Boston...what a loser that guy would never bring anything to a cup winning team.

Quote:
Without those players Saku wouldnt even of had the chance to play in the playoffs...
And without those players Kovalev either.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-04-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old
10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
And without those players Kovalev either.
I agree. Whats your point? Thats what I just said (hello)

Old
10-04-2008, 10:04 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
he was because he had 3 weeks of rest , after a half effort free season .

Old
10-04-2008, 10:07 PM
brownman*

Is there a Budd Dwyer gif?

Old
10-04-2008, 10:07 PM
HabsCan

It's may be stupid and naive but after what Saku has done for us ( the Habs) and been through with us , i would never consider trading him for even Sidney Crosby unless he decide to leave. He was always one of our best player and leader on and off the ice.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
he was because he had 3 weeks of rest , after a half effort free season .
name the playoffs where he wasn't our best player. The only one i can think is debateable would be after his cancer, and even in those he would've been top 3.

Look at how good he has been in the Olympics for Finland too.

Saku is a big game player... the bigger the game, the better he performs.

Its no coincidence his best regular season games come against boston and toronto; our two biggest rivals.

Quote:
Noone ever said that one man can take a team into the playoffs... and one man cannot win a Stanley cup.

The point remains.... in the biggest games our best player was Saku Koivu.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:16 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
name the playoffs where he wasn't our best player. The only one i can think is debateable would be after his cancer, and even in those he would've been top 3.

Look at how good he has been in the Olympics for Finland too.

Saku is a big game player... the bigger the game, the better he performs.

Its no coincidence his best regular season games come against boston and toronto; our two biggest rivals.

Noone ever said that one man can take a team into the playoffs... and one man cannot win a Stanley cup.

The point remains.... in the biggest games our best player was Saku Koivu.

Closed Thread