HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When does the CJAD agreement with the Habs expire ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2008, 05:55 PM
  #26
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Murray Wilson would put even the most negative Habs fan on these boards to shame. I can't stand listening to him.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 06:19 PM
  #27
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsolutely fantasmo View Post
Back on point, no, the Team 990 is not a viable option for the Habs. Price, and a platoon of Shaun Starr and Mo Kahn just wouldn't cut it. The Team is something to listen to if you want a good laugh at how anyone can get on the radio these days and a minute or two of audio clips of post-game interviews, not an NHL radio boradcast.

990 = brutal.
The Team's a good station. They provide sports talk to the anglo population and no one else is about to do it. Consider the dollars involved in AM radio and it's like the NHL in a cap world. You spend money on peak hours and get by the rest of the time.

Is Montreal a large radio market in English ? Roughly the size of Ottawa.

So when you factor in the $ there is in AM radio, we're lucky to have what we do.

If they successfully bid on a Habs package, they would obviously have to put a team in place to cover hockey. Right now, Price is the only guy with NHL experience, well Price and Casavant who very well may be qualified to do play by play in English. I think there's this thing called hiring, that can be done. The city has ex players around.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:08 PM
  #28
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
It's one thing to have limited French and watch RDS because you can't stand CBC, but I have one such friend that listens to CKAC because he thinks CJAD is so terrible. He says he can't even figure out half of what they're saying and it's still better than CJAD.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
  #29
Lord Horse
Next Day's News
 
Lord Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Full City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Elliot Price is doing the Montreal Jr games with Shaun Starr. I heard some of one broadcast and Price was ok, he's done hockey in the past and he sounded a bit rusty, but he's a pro. Starr, well it's not fair to judge an anlyst in his 1st week. They've been devloping a lot of young guys on the station, so if they had the rights, they could put a team together.
Cool, hay thanks mcphee, I will tune in to the Jr matches and check 'em out !

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 12:32 PM
  #30
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Cool, hay thanks mcphee, I will tune in to the Jr matches and check 'em out !
I'd be curious to hear Casavant do play by play in English. He's fluent, speaks better than most who claim English as a 1st language, but I wonder if there's a slight delay in processing in your 2nd language.

I know Pierre Houde did it once, as a favour for an ill CJAD guy, but I wonder if there have been guys who have regularly done this ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:14 PM
  #31
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,650
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'd be curious to hear Casavant do play by play in English. He's fluent, speaks better than most who claim English as a 1st language, but I wonder if there's a slight delay in processing in your 2nd language.

I know Pierre Houde did it once, as a favour for an ill CJAD guy, but I wonder if there have been guys who have regularly done this ?
Really? How did he do?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:24 PM
  #32
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsolutely fantasmo View Post
Back on point, no, the Team 990 is not a viable option for the Habs. Price, and a platoon of Shaun Starr and Mo Kahn just wouldn't cut it. The Team is something to listen to if you want a good laugh at how anyone can get on the radio these days and a minute or two of audio clips of post-game interviews, not an NHL radio boradcast.

990 = brutal.
How about they would maybe hire someone else to do the play by play? I dont think they'd send both Price and Starr on the road with the team....Makes no sense.

It's the best sports station around.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
  #33
rudethedude66
Registered User
 
rudethedude66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MONTREAL/LONDON
Country: Canada
Posts: 724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Im 23, I do remember Dave Van Horne and Ken Singleton but very vaigly.
They were awesome

"Its up up and away, a home run for...."
and if i recall correctly, the play by play used to be done by Singleton for 2 innings per game.
EL PRESIDENTE.....EL PERFECTO

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:11 PM
  #34
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
How about they would maybe hire someone else to do the play by play? I dont think they'd send both Price and Starr on the road with the team....Makes no sense.

It's the best sports station around.
I would bet that the contracts of the CJAD pbp guys expire at the same time that the deal with the habs does. Most stations do that.

Not saying they would be hired on with a new network if the games moved, but they might be.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:34 PM
  #35
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,134
vCash: 500
CJAD has the worst play by play I've ever heard. CKAC provides twice the description of the action to along with twice the energy. Bob Cole has an excuse for slowing down, he's older than molasses, but CJAD just stinks.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
  #36
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,336
vCash: 50
I like it when he actually calls the game. Too bad he hardly does.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:48 AM
  #37
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsolutely fantasmo View Post
I think he was referring to DVH and Ken... but sure, if you want to remember the 'spos with the voices of Price and Joe Cannon...

Then again, you're probably the same 'spos fan whose best days at the big O were when the hot dogs were a buck.
Why not Price? He was very good and a passionate Spos fan as well. He called games well and is entertaining. I have no problem remebering him with the Spos as easily as i remember DVH.

Those dog days at the BigO were legitimate tools to attract fans to the park that every other park in MLB also uses. I'm sick of hearing about how we went for the crappy cold dogs you had to dress yourself for a buck when you could get a dog at La Belle Province for $.50 dressed and ready to go.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
  #38
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Really? How did he do?
I heard about it, rather than heard it, but I remember them saying he did a credible job. I would think radio would be easier in that situation because you can be a bit behind the play and no one can tell.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:43 AM
  #39
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I would bet that the contracts of the CJAD pbp guys expire at the same time that the deal with the habs does. Most stations do that.

Not saying they would be hired on with a new network if the games moved, but they might be.
That would be typically what happens,especially if the club's FO likes the guys.Easier to not step on toes that way.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:18 AM
  #40
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
That would be typically what happens,especially if the club's FO likes the guys.Easier to not step on toes that way.
Normally, the way I understand it, a broadcast team, the local team, is made up of basically club employees. That limits the ammount of or type of criticism that they can dish out. I think that this is usually the case whether it be NHL, MLB or NCAA.

you have to give them freedom to express opinion, but you don't want guys making a living out of taking shots.

I'm not sure how CKAC works as McGuire and Dube probably answer to different authorities as would Ron Fournier.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:20 AM
  #41
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Normally, the way I understand it, a broadcast team, the local team, is made up of basically club employees. That limits the ammount of or type of criticism that they can dish out. I think that this is usually the case whether it be NHL, MLB or NCAA.

you have to give them freedom to express opinion, but you don't want guys making a living out of taking shots.

I'm not sure how CKAC works as McGuire and Dube probably answer to different authorities as would Ron Fournier.
They're not always actual club employees,but a club has a sort of "right of refusal",either explicit or implicit.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
  #42
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Why not Price? He was very good and a passionate Spos fan as well. He called games well and is entertaining. I have no problem remebering him with the Spos as easily as i remember DVH.

Those dog days at the BigO were legitimate tools to attract fans to the park that every other park in MLB also uses. I'm sick of hearing about how we went for the crappy cold dogs you had to dress yourself for a buck when you could get a dog at La Belle Province for $.50 dressed and ready to go.
One main reason I wouldnt want Price at play by play would be because I absolutely love the morning show. He has to be on it.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
  #43
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
They're not always actual club employees,but a club has a sort of "right of refusal",either explicit or implicit.
You're right, but I guess it adds up to the same thing. I've always thought that upper mangement at the CH is a bit anal, so I doubt that they'd be marketing any outspoken critics anytime soon. Sorry PJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
One main reason I wouldnt want Price at play by play would be because I absolutely love the morning show. He has to be on it.
I think Price would kill to do play by play full time , whatever sport and probably whatever city. I was a bit lukewarm on him when he started out in the morning, but I've come to believe that he probably has the best pure feel for all sports of anyone on the station, possibly in English media in the city. Esp. considering he has no day to day access to the Canadiens and he's at a distance in terms of football,basketball etc.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-05-2008 at 12:07 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:16 PM
  #44
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
One main reason I wouldnt want Price at play by play would be because I absolutely love the morning show. He has to be on it.
When he's off on vacation it isn't even worth listening to the morning show. In all fairness, I think Casavant is the most knowledgeable guy on the show because he covers so many sports for RDS and really is well positioned to render a quality opinion.

Price has a great sense of humor and the best handle on players and how they react. He's been around alot of ball players and knows what a room feels like when they are championship material and when they don't have what it takes. He has the best "feel" of sports on the show.

The show gets noticably better when Starr is on vacation.

Price recently stated that he has an out clause in his contract in the event he gets ANY gig that has him calling games. Preferably baseball but any sport will do. I think Price calling Habs games with a color person in the form of a retired Habs player would be leagues ahead of what CJAD is offering.

To say Price isn't DVH is only because he necessarily followed in the footsteps of a giant. He deserves alot more credit than he's being given.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:50 PM
  #45
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
When he's off on vacation it isn't even worth listening to the morning show. In all fairness, I think Casavant is the most knowledgeable guy on the show because he covers so many sports for RDS and really is well positioned to render a quality opinion.

Price has a great sense of humor and the best handle on players and how they react. He's been around alot of ball players and knows what a room feels like when they are championship material and when they don't have what it takes. He has the best "feel" of sports on the show.

The show gets noticably better when Starr is on vacation.

Price recently stated that he has an out clause in his contract in the event he gets ANY gig that has him calling games. Preferably baseball but any sport will do. I think Price calling Habs games with a color person in the form of a retired Habs player would be leagues ahead of what CJAD is offering.

To say Price isn't DVH is only because he necessarily followed in the footsteps of a giant. He deserves alot more credit than he's being given.
Dick Irvin was no Danny Gallivan,imo, but he was still a great broadcaster.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
  #46
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I heard about it, rather than heard it, but I remember them saying he did a credible job. I would think radio would be easier in that situation because you can be a bit behind the play and no one can tell.
"And Dandenault deeks around Lidstrom.. err.. yeah.. that's what happened.. and then he uhhhh... shot. It was Dandenault I tell you. I swear.. don't bother turning on the tv when going home."

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
  #47
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
When he's off on vacation it isn't even worth listening to the morning show. In all fairness, I think Casavant is the most knowledgeable guy on the show because he covers so many sports for RDS and really is well positioned to render a quality opinion.

Price has a great sense of humor and the best handle on players and how they react. He's been around alot of ball players and knows what a room feels like when they are championship material and when they don't have what it takes. He has the best "feel" of sports on the show.

The show gets noticably better when Starr is on vacation.


Price recently stated that he has an out clause in his contract in the event he gets ANY gig that has him calling games. Preferably baseball but any sport will do. I think Price calling Habs games with a color person in the form of a retired Habs player would be leagues ahead of what CJAD is offering.

To say Price isn't DVH is only because he necessarily followed in the footsteps of a giant. He deserves alot more credit than he's being given.
I disagree with that part. I think the show is at its best and funniest when all 3 are there. Deffinetly funnier when both Price and Starr are on.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
  #48
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
"And Dandenault deeks around Lidstrom.. err.. yeah.. that's what happened.. and then he uhhhh... shot. It was Dandenault I tell you. I swear.. don't bother turning on the tv when going home."
Ronald Reagan did baseball play by play as a young man, did the radio broadcast from a studio after reading wire reports of the action. I would think those guys were the true play by play pioneers as they pretty well invented the action .

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
  #49
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I disagree with that part. I think the show is at its best and funniest when all 3 are there. Deffinetly funnier when both Price and Starr are on.
I have to agree that when they're all together it is a good show. I was porbably a little too hard on Starr. That said, the last time he did leave for a week and Casavant and Price were together for about 4 days it was really good. They werre brutal to callers and dripping sarcasm! You can really see they are friends outside work and interact well.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.