HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Demers thinks something's up

Old
10-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
If Risebrough trades Gaborik, it would be logical to assume it would be to an Eastern Conference team, although it's believed Vancouver and Los Angeles have strong interest.

Usually when trades of this magnitude are made, general managers feel most comfortable dealing with their closest friends.

Risebrough's circle of good friends includes Montreal's Bob Gainey, the New York Rangers' Glen Sather and Toronto's Cliff Fletcher.

Montreal makes sense. The Canadiens have lots of salary-cap room and lots of up-and-coming players and prospects. It would be difficult for the Rangers to take on a contract like Gaborik's without giving up Scott Gomez's $7.4 million-a-year contract.

Pittsburgh is another interesting suitor. After all, last season when the Penguins thought they had a legitimate chance at the Stanley Cup, they acquired Hossa from Atlanta.

Risebrough is keeping everything close to the vest. Would he continue negotiating into the season? He wouldn't say. But Gaborik's history of injuries makes waiting risky. The Wild could conceivably get nothing if he's hurt.

"You're talking about a step that I'm not necessarily at yet -- moving him," Risebrough said. "I'm probably more worried about his injuries and how it relates to his being able to perform than I am worrying about whether it affects his trade value."

http://www.startribune.com/mobile/?a...section=Sports

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Scouts from other teams are coming to look at our players so they can see how the **** we're drafting so well.

Weber last night was a ****ing demon out there. I was a fan of his when he was drafted, but after this pre-season, I never knew he had the upside he does.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
not detroit, rangers, pittsburgh, new jersey,anaheim
Or Flyers or Blackhawks.
So just one more.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:39 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
gaborik, savard

habs arent making moves
Is the most logical reason. I would be surprised if something was brewing for the Habs.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Is the most logical reason. I would be surprised if something was brewing for the Habs.
your only 100- 1 time .its significant enough for habs board games, jersey retirements, hall of fames , canada mint habs money etc

it wont suprise me to see Gainey for for it .

Old
10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Travis Moen

Gaborik

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:55 AM
rocketlives

Sooner or later the Habs will have to get rid of Begin, Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault and Brisebois because they have much better players waiting in the wings.

I'm sure the scouts aren't beating a path to the Bell Center for the above mentioned players. Trading one or several of our young prospects so these hardworking but mediocre players can keep their jobs would be a mistake.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Newhabfan

Assuming the low probability that they were here for a hab player, the best way to guess would be to check the last three games roster and ice times. The 4th line played a lot yesterday and it was quite funny to see the Gaborik vs Lapierre lines

Can someone check the lines and ice times for the other 2 games and see if any of those 3 was actually overplayed ? Could have been Lapierre but maybe it was also because of him needing to battle for his spot.

If Montreal was making for a move on Gaborik, there would be no need for scouts from 22 teams, would it?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Schooner Guy

Just because there are tons of scouts at the game, it doesn't mean a big name player is being looked at. I wouldn't be surprised if the word's been put out that Dandenault is available for any team willing to take his contract and scouts are filling the press-box to see how he looks on D after playing forward all last season. Like him or not, a lot of teams could use a #5-6 Dman and before a team commits nearly $2 million on him, they'll want to hear reports from their scouts on how he looks. This is simply responsible hockey operations.

Having said all this, I don't expect teams will have to give up much to get him (maybe a 6th rounder) but with the current injuries to Habs Dmen, the timing might not be optimal for the Habs to trade Dandy.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Sooner or later the Habs will have to get rid of Begin, Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault and Brisebois because they have much better players waiting in the wings.
Yes. Like when their contract ends. After this season.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post
Teams really need to scout Gaborik?

Like they don't know what hes capable of already.
it is not about that. it is about how his is skating now. how his first push looks. how he is moving side to side.

he had a quad injury before camp that held him back. you want to be sure you are getting the real deal and not damaged goods.

someone calls and says ovechkin is on the table, you go scout him and watch his hotel room at night too. you are talking about millions in investment, you find out what you get.

stupid to think otherwise, worse someone agreed with you

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:15 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Where would we put Gaborik? 4th Line? Yeah right... You say Chips, D'ago Max Pac, or w/e for your 4th line, that would mean signing George Laraque was a waste of time seeing how he wouldn't even play with that as our 4th line.

Gaborik is a franchise Winger, He has a scoring touch, and scored over 80 points on a defensive based team. Yes hes great, but where would he go? Who would go for him? I'd not trade any of the Kostitsyns away, I'd not trade Komi or Price. Kovalev stays, Plecs stays. Who are you left with? and where would he play?

The question isn't about salary cap, or even how we could get him, but if we were to get him who is a UFA at the end of the season, it would be where is he going to play?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:25 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Well without tossing too much of a damper on the fealing

I worked at both the Northlands and GM arena's in Edmonton and Vancouver and ---there were always lots and lots of scouts around. Each NHL team is issued two tickets for scouts per game(atleast up to about 4 years ago)

Also--with the final cut down coming--a few teams may try to sneak someone through the waiver wire.

With the season starting in a few days, you can factor in atleast one scout from the teams playing the Canadians in th first five games scouting them and their oponents. So you are looking at between 10 to 15 scouts who are there for advance scouting. Some teams send scouts in pairs, have them sit seperate and then compare notes on what they see.

If the Canadians were the ones actively trying to pull adeal off and had inquired to multiple teams---you would see about 30 scouts and few assistant GMs running around.

When I worked (briefly) at Northlands in edmonton in the 80's--the first thing I learned to look for was not the scouts, but the assistant GM or the head scouts. That usually ment something was brewing.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

I worked at both the Northlands and GM arena's in Edmonton and Vancouver and ---there were always lots and lots of scouts around. Each NHL team is issued two tickets for scouts per game(atleast up to about 4 years ago)

Also--with the final cut down coming--a few teams may try to sneak someone through the waiver wire.

With the season starting in a few days, you can factor in atleast one scout from the teams playing the Canadians in th first five games scouting them and their oponents. So you are looking at between 10 to 15 scouts who are there for advance scouting. Some teams send scouts in pairs, have them sit seperate and then compare notes on what they see.

If the Canadians were the ones actively trying to pull adeal off and had inquired to multiple teams---you would see about 30 scouts and few assistant GMs running around.

When I worked (briefly) at Northlands in edmonton in the 80's--the first thing I learned to look for was not the scouts, but the assistant GM or the head scouts. That usually ment something was brewing.
Interesting...

Well...Trevor Timmins is in Moncton right now. Could there potentially be some prospects in play?

Old
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

The only thing I see that makes me think it could be true that something's brewing is the fact Chiphura hasnt been sent to Hamilton but didnt play the last pre-season game either...

Management already knows what Lapierre can bring to the team, they saw it the last two seasons. They didnt need to let him play against the Wild, if anything, it's Chipchura who should have played, giving him another chance to prove what he's capable of. It's not another week of practices (with no games to play) that will help the Habs decide wich of the two (Lapierre or Chipchura) should stay...

So, why's Chipchura still with the big boys ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

Yup i believe the Wilds GM Doug Risebrough was in Montreal last night . what ever that means

Old
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
The only thing I see that makes me think it could be true that something's brewing is the fact Chiphura hasnt been sent to Hamilton but didnt play the last pre-season game either...

Management already knows what Lapierre can bring to the team, they saw it the last two seasons. They didnt need to let him play against the Wild, if anything, it's Chipchura who should have played, giving him another chance to prove what he's capable of. It's not another week of practices (with no games to play) that will help the Habs decide wich of the two (Lapierre or Chipchura) should stay...

So, why's Chipchura still with the big boys ?
Are you thinking they are showcasing Lapierre?

I dont see this happening as he signed a new contract in the off season.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:47 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:

Hmmm, who to believe someone who worked in 2 arenas in the NHL or someone who coached in the NHL. Big dilema. Dandenault is not going anywhere with his salary. Begin and Kosto could be moved, and as for Lapierre, who cares.
Really wierd seeing Sundins name being thrown around again though.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:48 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

Dunno, just saying I find it odd to keep Chipchura if he's not to play against the Wild... there's no point in keeping him just for a few more practices IMO.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Higgins, Latendresse, 3nd 2009 and for Gaborik, 1st 2009
Lang, dandeneault, 1st mtl + 1st min round For Hecht and Stafford.

Pacioretty up.

I can always dream... lol

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Hmmm, who to believe someone who worked in 2 arenas in the NHL or someone who coached in the NHL. Big dilema. Dandenault is not going anywhere with his salary. Begin and Kosto could be moved, and as for Lapierre, who cares.
Really wierd seeing Sundins name being thrown around again though.

did ya see him last night dropping the puck in sweden Ott/pits game?

he is trying to grow a bread

Old
10-05-2008, 09:50 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
did ya see him last night dropping the puck in sweden Ott/pits game?

he is trying to grow a bread
By putting dough in the oven? At a hockey game?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Crusher20

sundin is dead in my books.. and i think in gaineys, as well.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Artyukhin*

would there be a board crash at HF for 2 months of this happened?

Wild may be forced to trade Gaborik
Jim Matheson, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Sunday, October 05, 2008
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...d-ee4cf43cb59e

If Risebrough calls Montreal -- he played with GM Bob Gainey -- he would likely want centre Tomas Plekanec, a winger like Andrei Kostitsyn or Chris Higgins, and D-man Mike Komisarek.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Crusher20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post

well chipchura was starting last season, and lapierre stole his spot.. now chippy.. is playing as good. gainey if fair man, but the contract doesnt have a no trade, does it, isnt halak signed for 3 years as well, doesnt mean he cant be traded, just adds value.