HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Demers thinks something's up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
  #76
Marc-E-
Registered User
 
Marc-E-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
Well, it'S normal that the other team will scout Montreal because we've a lot of depth. But, I don't think something really brewing up. All the teams might think that they're on the same page, same level. It's just having more information on the forces of your ennemy. So, part of the job of scouting, is to give information on the other team and make a report on how we play, who's the big guys on the other team. I think at this point of the season, all the teams are looking solutions more in their or throughout their system because cap situation. Some teams, maybe still over the cap and want to trade. But, I think, we will go with the players we've now. No need to make a move right now. But for sure, some discussions already started with different team about some players.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 11:59 AM
  #77
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only plays I'd make is on Gaborik, Kovalchuk or Bouwmeester at the deadline.

Who knows if it's possible, but I think we need either a prolific shooter or another top 4 D.
I'd make a huge play for Bouwmeester. We could definitely use another puck moving defenceman/PP QB.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 12:10 PM
  #78
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only plays I'd make is on Gaborik, Kovalchuk or Bouwmeester at the deadline.

Who knows if it's possible, but I think we need either a prolific shooter or another top 4 D.
Kovalchuk still has a year left to his contract after this one. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one as Atlanta will keep him. They need him to sell tickets.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 12:18 PM
  #79
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,938
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Wild may be forced to trade Gaborik
Jim Matheson, The Edmonton Journal
Published: Sunday, October 05, 2008
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...d-ee4cf43cb59e

If Risebrough calls Montreal -- he played with GM Bob Gainey -- he would likely want centre Tomas Plekanec, a winger like Andrei Kostitsyn or Chris Higgins, and D-man Mike Komisarek.
Wanting does not mean you are going to get. That would be a huge overpayment for Gaborik.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 12:35 PM
  #80
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Sooner or later the Habs will have to get rid of Begin, Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault and Brisebois because they have much better players waiting in the wings.

I'm sure the scouts aren't beating a path to the Bell Center for the above mentioned players. Trading one or several of our young prospects so these hardworking but mediocre players can keep their jobs would be a mistake.
I agree totally.

The weakest link in the lineup right now is Breeze-by. I feel bad for Hammer having to play with this slug.

Now that all preseason games are played I see our line like this.
First 3 lines look good.
Dandy is of no use to us.
Lapierre is miscast as a C. As a north/south 4th line winger he's good trade bait.
Begin and Kosto are useful but redundant and as much as I like Begin's game he's injury prone.

Our D is solid with Markov/Komi-Hammer/O'Bryne-The Cube/Gorges
BUT....what to do if this D can't start the season.
No team in the NHL would trade for Breeze-by so we are stuck with him, he couldn't make the the Leafs D. Anyone who says he's a good #4 while we work through injuries doesn't realize how important our first 15 games will be at the end of the season.

IMHO our 4th line should look like BGL-Chipper-Begin/Kosto.

that allows us move Lapierre/Dandy/prospect/pick for a #4 D.
We need to make a move.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:09 PM
  #81
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I agree totally.

The weakest link in the lineup right now is Breeze-by. I feel bad for Hammer having to play with this slug.

Now that all preseason games are played I see our line like this.
First 3 lines look good.
Dandy is of no use to us.
Lapierre is miscast as a C. As a north/south 4th line winger he's good trade bait.
Begin and Kosto are useful but redundant and as much as I like Begin's game he's injury prone.

Our D is solid with Markov/Komi-Hammer/O'Bryne-The Cube/Gorges
BUT....what to do if this D can't start the season.
No team in the NHL would trade for Breeze-by so we are stuck with him, he couldn't make the the Leafs D. Anyone who says he's a good #4 while we work through injuries doesn't realize how important our first 15 games will be at the end of the season.

IMHO our 4th line should look like BGL-Chipper-Begin/Kosto.

that allows us move Lapierre/Dandy/prospect/pick for a #4 D.
We need to make a move.
agreed brezzeby is weak, and

if gabby comes, we will have to trade a top line player back, off the roster.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:09 PM
  #82
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I agree totally.

The weakest link in the lineup right now is Breeze-by. I feel bad for Hammer having to play with this slug.

Now that all preseason games are played I see our line like this.
First 3 lines look good.
Dandy is of no use to us.
Lapierre is miscast as a C. As a north/south 4th line winger he's good trade bait.
Begin and Kosto are useful but redundant and as much as I like Begin's game he's injury prone.

Our D is solid with Markov/Komi-Hammer/O'Bryne-The Cube/Gorges
BUT....what to do if this D can't start the season.
No team in the NHL would trade for Breeze-by so we are stuck with him, he couldn't make the the Leafs D. Anyone who says he's a good #4 while we work through injuries doesn't realize how important our first 15 games will be at the end of the season.

IMHO our 4th line should look like BGL-Chipper-Begin/Kosto.

that allows us move Lapierre/Dandy/prospect/pick for a #4 D.
We need to make a move.
"weakest links" on EVERY single teams in the NHL are 13nd forward or 7th D, even on the worst teams. Brisebois IS our 7th D...

thanks for stating the obvious.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:22 PM
  #83
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
"weakest links" on EVERY single teams in the NHL are 13nd forward or 7th D, even on the worst teams. Brisebois IS our 7th D...

thanks for stating the obvious.
wrong.
you missed the the post.

but to your point.... no not every team in the NHL plays their "weakest link" in the #7 D or 13th forward slot. Alot of teams will plug these holes with prospects. Thanks for playing.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:32 PM
  #84
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
wrong.
you missed the the post.

but to your point.... no not every team in the NHL plays their "weakest link" in the #7 D or 13th forward slot. Alot of teams will plug these holes with prospects. Thanks for playing.
really... look around the league... you won't see much better than Brisebois as 7th D, not enough to make a difference really...

in fact, if you look carefully you may notice lots of teams have players like him in their top 6...

lucky for us, he'll play half the games or so, at best...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:58 PM
  #85
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
really... look around the league... you won't see much better than Brisebois as 7th D, not enough to make a difference really...

in fact, if you look carefully you may notice lots of teams have players like him in their top 6...

lucky for us, he'll play half the games or so, at best...
well, again that was not the point in the post but since you'd like to discuss it...... off the top of my head: Wings-Lilja/ Flyers-Parent/ Pens-Sydor Minny-M-A-Bergeron/ Flames-Warrener/ Ducks-McIver.......................

IMHO your 7th D should bring something to the game even if it comes with limited minutes i.e. toughness, offence, stay at home D or a vet who can step in and play a simple (get it out of our zone) D. What I see from #71 is the odd outlet pass followed by 4 bonehead plays. Add to that Hammer makes up for half of his mistakes.

Add to that a #7 D should be able to step in and play on the 3rd D pairing. Breeze-by would be even more of a liability if he had to play on our third pairing.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:05 PM
  #86
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Scouts from other teams are coming to look at our players so they can see how the **** we're drafting so well.


Weber last night was a ****ing demon out there. I was a fan of his when he was drafted, but after this pre-season, I never knew he had the upside he does.
I was at the game, and I personally thought he played really terribly defensively.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
  #87
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'd make a huge play for Bouwmeester. We could definitely use another puck moving defenceman/PP QB.
Get Komisarek locked up and then make a play for JaBo.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
  #88
TCIH
Registered User
 
TCIH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'd make a huge play for Bouwmeester. We could definitely use another puck moving defenceman/PP QB.
The thing about that is, would Gainey be desperate enough to be able to match an offer from a team like Ottawa? I could see the Sens making a serious play for Bouwmeester, and I don't think Bob would be willing to lose what Ottawa would be; they don't have a PP QB right now, and could use an upgrade over Phillips as the #1.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
  #89
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Are you thinking they are showcasing Lapierre?

I dont see this happening as he signed a new contract in the off season.
Ribeiro signed a new contract the summer of the same offseason that he got traded on the eve of the season.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:34 PM
  #90
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Ribeiro signed a new contract the summer of the same offseason that he got traded on the eve of the season.
touchay!

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:35 PM
  #91
Sir Jacques Demers
Registered User
 
Sir Jacques Demers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
*cough* *cough* *clears throat*

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:40 PM
  #92
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,664
vCash: 500
The problem with the idea of the Habs trading Lapierre is that we lack depth at NHL ready Centres. Even if Chips took the 4th line Centre position, we don't really have any other NHL ready checking Centres. Begin has played it in the past but he is much more effective on the Wing.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 02:56 PM
  #93
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The problem with the idea of the Habs trading Lapierre is that we lack depth at NHL ready Centres. Even if Chips took the 4th line Centre position, we don't really have any other NHL ready checking Centres. Begin has played it in the past but he is much more effective on the Wing.
There is no need to trade Lapierre now, Let"s see what Chipchura can really do, Lapierre has a very affordable one-way contract. he can be placed in the stands no problem while Carbo is evaluating Chipchura. Both are weak on face offs. I can"t imagine they can"t learn with Carbo and Jarvis - two of the best- around to give them adivices.

Last year, Lapierre was supposed to learn how to play right wing with the Dogs. He finally played only at center before being called up. What happened ?

Lapierre nor Chipchura are perfect. A combo of both would make a good player... Let's wait and see.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:12 PM
  #94
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
well, again that was not the point in the post but since you'd like to discuss it...... off the top of my head: Wings-Lilja/ Flyers-Parent/ Pens-Sydor Minny-M-A-Bergeron/ Flames-Warrener/ Ducks-McIver.......................

IMHO your 7th D should bring something to the game even if it comes with limited minutes i.e. toughness, offence, stay at home D or a vet who can step in and play a simple (get it out of our zone) D. What I see from #71 is the odd outlet pass followed by 4 bonehead plays. Add to that Hammer makes up for half of his mistakes.

Add to that a #7 D should be able to step in and play on the 3rd D pairing. Breeze-by would be even more of a liability if he had to play on our third pairing.
Lilja played 79 Games averaging 18min on ice...
MA Bergeron was used regularly in Anaheim as well
Sydor played 74Games..I wouldn't take him over Breezer and he was used as a regular
Parent played 22Games
Warrener is horrible, Breezer is better


7th Dman don't usually play 70+ games, or keep a regular spot on the roster.
Breezer is as good as it gets for a 7th D. Accept it or not, but its true.
Taking a young prospect for a 7th D is the worst thing you can do for his development. He needs a spot in top6 to develop regularly.

Like you said, you want your 7th D to bring something, Breezer brings his PP touch.
Brisebois is not the best Defensive D, no 7th D is going to be a very good Defensive D because they wouldn't be 7th if that were the case.
I think you have way too high expectations for a 7th D.
Breezer is as good as it gets for that role.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:54 PM
  #95
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lilja played 79 Games averaging 18min on ice...
MA Bergeron was used regularly in Anaheim as well
Sydor played 74Games..I wouldn't take him over Breezer and he was used as a regular
Parent played 22Games
Warrener is horrible, Breezer is better


7th Dman don't usually play 70+ games, or keep a regular spot on the roster.
Breezer is as good as it gets for a 7th D. Accept it or not, but its true.
Taking a young prospect for a 7th D is the worst thing you can do for his development. He needs a spot in top6 to develop regularly.

Like you said, you want your 7th D to bring something, Breezer brings his PP touch.
Brisebois is not the best Defensive D, no 7th D is going to be a very good Defensive D because they wouldn't be 7th if that were the case.
I think you have way too high expectations for a 7th D.
Breezer is as good as it gets for that role.
Actually they do if there are many injuries. Just saying.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:59 PM
  #96
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
"weakest links" on EVERY single teams in the NHL are 13nd forward or 7th D, even on the worst teams. Brisebois IS our 7th D...

thanks for stating the obvious.
I fully agree. I love having Brisebois as our 7th defenseman while letting our prospects develop with quality playing time.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 04:35 PM
  #97
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 500
Boy, some of the posts in this thread are too much. Did you guys post after coming home from Crescent St. or did you do it this morning after not fully recovering from last night's hang over. Let's take a look at what's being said.

1) Demers mentions that he's never seen so many scouts gathered together in Mtl. Right. We had an intelligent poster who said other teams reserve two places for each opposing teams' scouts, so this kinda puts Demers comments in doubt. Maybe, just maybe, he has been out of the loop and doesn't know what a lot of scouts are any more.

2)But Let's assume he's right. There are alot of scouts. Why do you guys assume that because of this there's a trade between Montreal and the Wild for Gaborik. Does this even make sense to you? What are these other scouts here for? To be bridesmaids or make sure that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted in the trade contract? Or are they being sent here to witness Gainey's stick work as he screws Reisborough on the Gaborik trade?

3)Again, let's assume that Demers is right. There's way too many scouts. What do you think happened? Gainey sent a fax to all the GM's mentioning he has a special sale (2 for 1) on fringe players like Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin and the GM's scrambled to send their scouts here? Does that sound like something gainey would do? And if you answered yes to that question, then do you think that it's something the other GM's would do?

4)Did you guys ever consider maybe there's a junior team in Montreal now so the scouts come to scout the team and stay over to take notes on NHL player's their teams may be interested in.

5)Isn't waivers coming up soon? So maybe that's another possibility? Maybe There are lots of scouts at all the hockey venues in North America - not just MtL.

6) Since the reasonable possibilities don't seem to interest some of you then I'll post my crazy idea. Maybe all these scout heard that Trevor Timmons is hiring someone to scout the frozen tundras of Siberia and all these scouts are here chomping at the bit to work for the Habs' on their 100th anniversary.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
  #98
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Boy, some of the posts in this thread are too much. Did you guys post after coming home from Crescent St. or did you do it this morning after not fully recovering from last night's hang over. Let's take a look at what's being said.

1) Demers mentions that he's never seen so many scouts gathered together in Mtl. Right. We had an intelligent poster who said other teams reserve two places for each opposing teams' scouts, so this kinda puts Demers comments in doubt. Maybe, just maybe, he has been out of the loop and doesn't know what a lot of scouts are any more.

2)But Let's assume he's right. There are alot of scouts. Why do you guys assume that because of this there's a trade between Montreal and the Wild for Gaborik. Does this even make sense to you? What are these other scouts here for? To be bridesmaids or make sure that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted in the trade contract? Or are they being sent here to witness Gainey's stick work as he screws Reisborough on the Gaborik trade?

3)Again, let's assume that Demers is right. There's way too many scouts. What do you think happened? Gainey sent a fax to all the GM's mentioning he has a special sale (2 for 1) on fringe players like Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin and the GM's scrambled to send their scouts here? Does that sound like something gainey would do? And if you answered yes to that question, then do you think that it's something the other GM's would do?

4)Did you guys ever consider maybe there's a junior team in Montreal now so the scouts come to scout the team and stay over to take notes on NHL player's their teams may be interested in.

5)Isn't waivers coming up soon? So maybe that's another possibility? Maybe There are lots of scouts at all the hockey venues in North America - not just MtL.

6) Since the reasonable possibilities don't seem to interest some of you then I'll post my crazy idea. Maybe all these scout heard that Trevor Timmons is hiring someone to scout the frozen tundras of Siberia and all these scouts are here chomping at the bit to work for the Habs' on their 100th anniversary.

if 20 scouts show up to watch Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin there is a problem

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
  #99
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
if 20 scouts show up to watch Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin there is a problem
I guess I needed a sarcasm smiley for you.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
  #100
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I wonder who they were looking at on our team?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.