HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grabovski - A Loss?

View Poll Results: Is Grabovski really a "loss"?
Nah, he was useless 38 13.06%
Yeah, he was pretty good 29 9.97%
Too early to tell 80 27.49%
Mikhail who? 17 5.84%
Good Trade... we ended up with Lang and Pateryn 127 43.64%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2008, 02:22 PM
alienanton*

vCash: 500
with the team you guys have, i can see why you wouldn't 'miss' him per say.

however, in the pre-season games so far he has been our best centerman by far and maybe even our best player overall.

he's small, but fearless. he falls down a lot, but works his ass off to get back in the play.

he's also scored 4 goals i believe.

over in leafs nation, we essentially saw him as a wellwood replacement, but he has been wellwood x2.

Old
10-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Next Best Thing*

I will say this.

Grabovski <<<<<< Ribeiro

but

Grabovski trade = Ribeiro trade

Pretty similar if you ask me: player everyone knew had the tools but failed at making the team full time.

The only difference? Ribeiro had a much closer look and actually DID something for us in his brief time. Hmm...

So does this mean Grabs will be a lesser version of Ribeiro? I mean, their styles at this point in their career do look kinda similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post

however, in the pre-season games so far he has been our best centerman by far and maybe even our best player overall.

he's small, but fearless. he falls down a lot, but works his ass off to get back in the play.

over in leafs nation, we essentially saw him as a wellwood replacement, but he has been wellwood x2.
Actually to habs he is Wellwood x2 -habs domination so POO

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-05-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old
10-05-2008, 03:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I think Grabovski is very skilled and expect him to do well with the leafs, it was a good trade for both teams as it was a low risk move for the leafs, 2 picks for a guy that was lighting up the AHL last year so a good gamble, and the Habs get a likely top 40 picks and a prospect that they had targeted at the draft, which was turned into Lang. So for a player that likely was done with the Habs, Gainey turned that asset into 2 assets. I wish Grabo well and I expect Lang to be a solid point producer plus Pateryn could turn into something down the road.

Old
10-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Grabs should be in the NHL, great thing about being a good team again.......No Room! Hope he florishes, just not Vs us...I'd rather have the guys we have now than him on our roster, that's a good thing!

Old
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He's gotten several goals in the preseason and the leafs fans say he is strong in the corners. I could see him getting 25 goals this season, he will be getting decent minutes.
... until Ron Wilson does something to piss him off and he'll go pouting again?

Old
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He'll fit perfectly with Toronto.After all, he's as soft as a leaf.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I will say this.

Grabovski <<<<<< Ribeiro

but

Grabovski trade = Ribeiro trade

Pretty similar if you ask me: player everyone knew had the tools but failed at making the team full time.

The only difference? Ribeiro had a much closer look and actually DID something for us in his brief time. Hmm...

So does this mean Grabs will be a lesser version of Ribeiro? I mean, their styles at this point in their career do look kinda similar.
Grabovski was not traded for the same reasons as Ribs.
He was also just a prospect, not the established 2nd line center of our team.
Both of them had attitude problems I guess but the Ribs trade does not equal the Grabs trade.
Even if Grabo becomes a great player and has a great season, Ribeiro was already established into an average player.

Also, we got Niinima for Ribs, whereas for Grabs it lead to Lang/Pateryn.
In no way are they similar.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Also, we got Niinima for Ribs, whereas for Grabs it lead to Lang/Pateryn.
In no way are they similar.
I hope not.
Imagine that LAng plays 30 games for the Habs makes crazy predictions to beat undefeated teams and Patryn retires or disappears while traveling in the Bermuda Triangle.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I couldnt vote because there was no, "He's good and has potential but didnt fit in and thought he should be playing on the first-line" option

Old
10-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Still.....we do have to admit that nobody would have predicted his performance even in preseason. 5 goals already. Can't wait to see how he'll translate this into the season. But he will have some interesting playing time. It's his to lose from now on.

And for whoever says that we had no room for him (and I'm not condemning Gainey, I didn't like Grabovski....), what if he does the same kind of performance in the preseason as well? He would have had the same kind of playing time with all the injuries we had, and would have been put in lines to really see what he was made of.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Andy

He had a goal and two assists tonight so far, I really hope he does well this year.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Megaforce

The little that I saw of the pre-season suggests:

Tanguay + Lang = Czerchkowski x 2

I think we'll miss Grabbo.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
The little that I saw of the pre-season suggests:

Tanguay + Lang = Czerchkowski x 2

I think we'll miss Grabbo.
While he didn't have a lot of chances to show us what he could do, when he played, he was looking like Czerkowski X 1.....He decided to show what he could do. We'll see if it translates in the regular season.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:55 PM
BintZ

Way too early to tell.

Grabovski could hit a turning point in his career and turn into a top-10 forward in the league. Maybe he's a late bloomer.

But I'm happy with the return as of right now but only time can tell if this trade ends up being another Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk.

Old
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BintZ View Post
Way too early to tell.

Grabovski could hit a turning point in his career and turn into a top-10 forward in the league. Maybe he's a late bloomer.

But I'm happy with the return as of right now but only time can tell if this trade ends up being another Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk.
I did compare this week the preseason to a AHL+ caliber. So we will have to wait for sure. What Grabovski is proving is that he's too strong for the AHL. Now he'll need to prove he's suited for the NHL and with the preseason he has, expectations are suddenly starting to kick in while nobody had any expectations as far as he was concerned.

I would never compared Nieuwendyk to Lang but I guess that what you're trying to say is that if Lang make us win a cup, it would have been worth it....I guess so....

I'm way more pleased by the potential of Pateryn than by Lang though....

Old
10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
TMLeafer

So far so good. Grabs finishes with 8 points in 8 games, and a 4 game goal streak (I believe).

They mentioned on the broadcast tonight that for a small-ish guy, he's not afraid of the corners. Now I didn't see him play for the Habs last season, so maybe it's something he worked on over the summer.

But he's not a softie. He took a stick to the face took 40 stitches or something and was back the same game and played the next game as well, didn't miss a beat. Not a huge deal, but it showed that he's committed.

I think it's a good trade for both teams. I know it's still early. He could have a totally crappy regular season after a great preseason.

But hopefully he works out, especially when he's probably on our top line to start the season.

Old
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post

lol. the ever famous 'however'. i like grabbo, but there was no place for him on the habs. none. he isn't a 3rd line center on a team with two (already) fast skilled centers, and he's too small for the wing, on a team with (already) many fast skilled wingers. i'm glad he's worked out for you guys so far. i have watched about four leaf pre-season games and i wouldn't necessarily say he's been as dynamite as you say. he's had some highlight reel goals and he's also been highly invisible at times. his D zone play remains very suspect, but he is a good acquisition for you guys. if he's asked to play O and not D you'll be fine. i guess the real question is, are the leafs that bad that his skill set is magnified by much of the slow, much less skilled abundance around him.

Old
10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

It was a good trade for us, seeing the way we were too deep for him to make the team.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
Remember back when we had Oleg Petrov getting 60 points because we stunk so bad we had to use him on our first line .... Now we don't and guys like Grabovski that aren't good enough for top end teams get a chance to forge careers in bottom dweller cities. much like guys like Petrov did for us.

will we miss him of course not but tons will argue what he would've done for us when he gets huge minutes in Toronto and as a result puts up decent numbers.... what they will forget however in their argumant is that there was no way Grabovski was ever gonna make it in Montreal because he just wasn't good enough. if this was ten years ago he was good enough then cause we stunk.

Old
10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr404 View Post
Remember back when we had Oleg Petrov getting 60 points because we stunk so bad we had to use him on our first line .... Now we don't and guys like Grabovski that aren't good enough for top end teams get a chance to forge careers in bottom dweller cities. much like guys like Petrov did for us.

will we miss him of course not but tons will argue what he would've done for us when he gets huge minutes in Toronto and as a result puts up decent numbers.... what they will forget however in their argumant is that there was no way Grabovski was ever gonna make it in Montreal because he just wasn't good enough. if this was ten years ago he was good enough then cause we stunk.
Agreed 100%....

He will put up way more points in toronto then he ever could have done with us... doesn't mean we miss him.

We wouldn't have got the same production out of him if he was here cause we couldn't give him those minutes... nor would we want to.

Old
10-05-2008, 08:07 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Agreed 100%....

He will put up way more points in toronto then he ever could have done with us... doesn't mean we miss him.

We wouldn't have got the same production out of him if he was here cause we couldn't give him those minutes... nor would we want to.
i know all fans are guilty of this but i get a nice chuckle from all the leaf fans salivating over him when last year he was just another soft, small, diving euro on the habs

Old
10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
CanadienErrant*

Remember Ribeiro ?

Grabovski will do the same with the Leafs...

Of course, we don't miss any of them

Old
10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
it somehow seems extremely improbable that a 25 year old 5th round pick who has a grand total of 27 NHL games played at this point in his career was somehow magically going to leapfrog over all kinds of other younger talent we already have on our team that in their younger years are already more talented ...... Grabo is ribs only in one way.... it's all about me me me me much like it was for anohter young talent we shipped off he played D his nickname was "hollywood" .....

Old
10-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Remember Ribeiro ?

Grabovski will do the same with the Leafs...

Of course, we don't miss any of them
Absolutely not, as getting rid of Ribeiro was the first step in turning the franchise around!

Old
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hey good for Grabovski but let's see what happens when the games matter. Every preseason has a couple of guys (Jon Sim? Brandon Bochenski?) who tear it up and everyone rushes to pick them up in their pools, only to have them disappear just as quickly.

Closed Thread