HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O/T: Verizon Fios TV...MSG HD?

Old
08-10-2008, 07:27 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post
Went from Cablevision to Verizon and got a $200 gift card. Verizon annoyed me, no customer service, the bill was higher than I thought, and naturally no MSG HD.

Also, I was late on 1 payment and I got a shut off notice immediately. That, to me, was just unnecessary.

And the biggest thing was that the standard MSG on Verizon was NOT as good as Cablevision's MSG HD.

All I want on HD is the Rangers and other sports and some movie channels. Who needs A&E on HD?

Then I got a call from Cablevision - they offered me the same channels I had with Verizon for $70 less a month, gave me free boost for the internet for free for 1 year, gave me a free upgrade to a DVR box for 1 year, free install, $200 to pay off my Verizon contract and a $300 PC Richards gift card. And I would have switched back for nothing!

There's also a channel called Monsters in HD on Cablevision (and not Verizon) that I really like.
wow great deal, good to know. i'll be sure to milk cablevision for hopefully all that you got, if I ever do go to FIOS and do not like it...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
MiniRide

Dolan will never give up MSG to Verizon, He is playing hardball for a good reason, Major competition.. Direct TV is not so big on LI like Fios and Cablevision are..

MiniRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless the so called rumors of the Dolans looking to sell the Rangers, Knicks & MSG are true, then MSG HD will never be on Fios.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Unless the so called rumors of the Dolans looking to sell the Rangers, Knicks & MSG are true, then MSG HD will never be on Fios.
It will, MSNBC was under the same siuation as verizon fios didn't carry it.....what happen? Just a few days ago it was added to verizon.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
McMonster

can you get the NHL Network on Verizon..... If not, can you order it and pay extra?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
MBHockey

We switched from Cablevision to FiOS and couldn't be happier. All the HD channels look far better on my 50" Plasma, we got a much speedier 20 mbit/5 mbit internet line, and it's cheaper. There's also no tiling or freezing ever which was always a problem with Cablevision. The deficiencies in Cablevision's service result from trying to deliver compressed HD signals over a copper wire whereas with FiOS the glass fiber can accommodate the full uncompressed signal.

The only downside (as noted many times earlier) is no MSG in HD. I can live without it. Though it'd be nice, watching them in standard definition on a 50" TV is still nice.

And yes, you can get NHL Center Ice on FiOS. Those packages are not provider-specific.

Last edited by MBHockey: 08-15-2008 at 10:30 AM.
MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

any updates regarding this?

Old
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Cablevision sucks - the only thing they can do is stonewall the competition by not allowing their content to be broadcast over their network. I love their incentives - sign up for two years and get 10% off. Yay. Not having MSGHD would suck royally, but dealing with CVC's crappy boxes on a daily basis is worse. Been a customer since May - took them three shots to install (and I had all the wires run myself for them) and have replaced several boxes because their software is junk. Having been a Time Warner customers for 20 years, and being across the street from Time Warner service, really pains me now.
Would you give your direct competition one of your products to help them sell theirs? I doubt it.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Would you give your direct competition one of your products to help them sell theirs? I doubt it.
Everything is negotiable.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
But from my understanding, it is possible that the law requires they make it available.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Fletch

hightide...

I wouldn't, but at the same time I probably wouldn't own content that would be more valuable if the competition did have it if it conflicted with my other business (in other words, perhaps the sum of parts is greater than the whole here). I was actually referring to the whole Yes situation a couple years ago which I didn't word properly.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But from my understanding, it is possible that the law requires they make it available.
Verizon Lobby!!!!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

it looks like verizon has removed versus/ wtf?

Old
10-05-2008, 04:05 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It's back on...what happened was if the Rangers broadcast is on the local MSG and VS...the VERSUS channel isn't even accessible or on the listing.

Old
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
We switched from Cablevision to FiOS and couldn't be happier. All the HD channels look far better on my 50" Plasma, we got a much speedier 20 mbit/5 mbit internet line, and it's cheaper. There's also no tiling or freezing ever which was always a problem with Cablevision. The deficiencies in Cablevision's service result from trying to deliver compressed HD signals over a copper wire whereas with FiOS the glass fiber can accommodate the full uncompressed signal.

The only downside (as noted many times earlier) is no MSG in HD. I can live without it. Though it'd be nice, watching them in standard definition on a 50" TV is still nice.

And yes, you can get NHL Center Ice on FiOS. Those packages are not provider-specific.
Who told you this crock of BS??? I'm not trying to argue with you, but rather share the truth about the networks. While I don't doubt your own personal experience with verizon, you are misinformed about the reasoning. First, cablevision and verizon both work off a fiber optic network. Secondly, Unless verizon came out to your house and ran fiber into your tv, your point is meaningless. A signal can only travel as fast as the slowest link on the network. No matter how fast fiber gets info to your house, the line into your tv is the bottleneck. Same thing with internet, maybe they run fiber for your internet, but your only as fast as 1)the network card in your computer, 2)the rj45 connecting you to the modem, etc...
The like to drop words like fiber to wow people, but its alot of crap

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post

Funny cause Verizon tells me different.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
RANGERS2448

Didnt know people like u were out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'm happy with cablevision's service.... Quite happy....

They just added 12 new HD channels too.. It was about time...

I don't see how anyone could knowingly switch to a cable provider that doesn't carry MSG... Can you even get NHL Center Ice through FIOS? If the answer is no, that's unacceptable.
I think your the only one in the tristate area that has good things to say about cablevision. You dont have constant equipment failures? I have went through 4 DVR boxes (wich sucks b/c u loose all your recordings when they crash), 2 regular boxes and 3 modems in the last year. My tv's constantly pixelate out and my on demands dont work (they are all choppy). They have the nerve to charge me over $260 a month

cant waite till FIOS!!! comes to town

FIOS has MSG and MSG+ just not MSGhd MSG+HD thats the problem everyones. Center ice and the NHL network are also availabe on FIOS.

Last edited by RANGERS2448: 10-05-2008 at 11:03 PM.
RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
I think your the only one in the tristate area that has good things to say about cablevision. You dont have constant equipment failures? I have went through 4 DVR boxes (wich sucks b/c u loose all your recordings when they crash), 2 regular boxes and 3 modems in the last year. My tv's constantly pixelate out and my on demands dont work (they are all choppy). They have the nerve to charge me over $260 a month

FIOS has MSG and MSG+ just not MSGhd MSG+HD thats the problem everyones. Center ice and the NHL network are also availabe on FIOS.
I don't know where you get that from. I have FIOS and I can't get Center Ice or NHL Network. Trust me I was on the phone on two seperate calls with two different agents. Both told me the same thing, they are trying to aquire Center Ice but they don't see NHL Network being available anytime soon. As of right now you can not get both, along with MSG HD.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:10 AM
acs12798

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Who told you this crock of BS??? I'm not trying to argue with you, but rather share the truth about the networks. While I don't doubt your own personal experience with verizon, you are misinformed about the reasoning. First, cablevision and verizon both work off a fiber optic network. Secondly, Unless verizon came out to your house and ran fiber into your tv, your point is meaningless. A signal can only travel as fast as the slowest link on the network. No matter how fast fiber gets info to your house, the line into your tv is the bottleneck. Same thing with internet, maybe they run fiber for your internet, but your only as fast as 1)the network card in your computer, 2)the rj45 connecting you to the modem, etc...
The like to drop words like fiber to wow people, but its alot of crap

Thats just plain wrong. First the fiber lets them offer far faster internet speeds. Second, copper is a loss over distance medium. So while fiber is run to the node on Cablevision it is run to the house on FiOS. That distance copper is running to your house from the node causes significant loss in the bandwidth carrying capabilities of the copper. OTOH, the distance it is running in your house carries minimal loss.

Second, it is a known fact, and I mean fact, that FiOS has better PQ than Cablevision. Digital TV is split in QAM frequencies. The more channels you stuff on a frequency(6mhz) the worse it gets. FiOS puts 2 HD channels on a frequency, while Cablevision generally puts 3. Thats not a perfect estimate because they might mix SD and HD channels and not all channels are over compressed on Cablevision(MSGHD and YESHD are not). Versus is, the PQ is significantly worse on it than when I am up at school with TWC in Albany. Essentially though, fios passes whatever they get from the provider whereas Cablevision takes it and often recompresses it.

Check out avsforum, its where I learned all this stuff.

acs12798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:38 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
Thats just plain wrong. First the fiber lets them offer far faster internet speeds. Second, copper is a loss over distance medium. So while fiber is run to the node on Cablevision it is run to the house on FiOS. That distance copper is running to your house from the node causes significant loss in the bandwidth carrying capabilities of the copper. OTOH, the distance it is running in your house carries minimal loss.

Second, it is a known fact, and I mean fact, that FiOS has better PQ than Cablevision. Digital TV is split in QAM frequencies. The more channels you stuff on a frequency(6mhz) the worse it gets. FiOS puts 2 HD channels on a frequency, while Cablevision generally puts 3. Thats not a perfect estimate because they might mix SD and HD channels and not all channels are over compressed on Cablevision(MSGHD and YESHD are not). Versus is, the PQ is significantly worse on it than when I am up at school with TWC in Albany. Essentially though, fios passes whatever they get from the provider whereas Cablevision takes it and often recompresses it.

Check out avsforum, its where I learned all this stuff.
Without trying to belabor the arguement, you just proved the whole point of my post. At no time did I say he couldn't get a better picture with verizon, what i said was fiber is not the reason, its a bunch of reasons. I hate that companies drop the word fiber like its a new technology to trick people.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:44 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post

I enjoy my cablevision service as well, and honestly I never have a problem with it, and love the new free wireless access in towns and train stations etc all over the island... no hate for verizon, heard it looks great, and competition is always good for the customers, i've just had horrible experiences with the company in the past. Especially as a Rangers fan, I'll continue to send my money to cablevision and an LI based company.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Can't wait for Fios to be available in the Bronx. Switching the first day possible. Cable is horrible, always freezes in the middle of every game.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Jersey Girl

DirecTV is easily the best way to go here. You don't have to wait for a bunch of 'ifs', they carry MSG HD right now. The picture is beyond spectacular.

They also have NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and the most regional sports channels in HD of any provider. The only real void last year was that Hockey Night in Canada was not shown in HD, but it sounds like now it will be, on the NHL Network.

It doesn't get much better than all of that.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
DirecTV is easily the best way to go here. You don't have to wait for a bunch of 'ifs', they carry MSG HD right now. The picture is beyond spectacular.

They also have NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and the most regional sports channels in HD of any provider. The only real void last year was that Hockey Night in Canada was not shown in HD, but it sounds like now it will be, on the NHL Network.

But how is their picture quality? I haven't had DirecTV in years, but I know they used to compress the heck out of their channels...some to the point that they were nearly unwatchable.

Plus, a satellite dish is not an option for about 90% of manhattan residents.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

You also lose the picture in storms.

That's the main reason I switched. Nothing sucks more than missing a hockey game because of a big storm.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote