HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski - A Loss?

View Poll Results: Is Grabovski really a "loss"?
Nah, he was useless 38 13.06%
Yeah, he was pretty good 29 9.97%
Too early to tell 80 27.49%
Mikhail who? 17 5.84%
Good Trade... we ended up with Lang and Pateryn 127 43.64%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
emb24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Remember Ribeiro ?

Grabovski will do the same with the Leafs...

Of course, we don't miss any of them
sure and let's give grabovsky Brendan morrow. or better yet give us Brendan to play on a line with saku

Old
10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Grabovsky will do a lot better in TO than he would ahve done here, I think with the young guys already on the team and others on the way he was in a no win situation. He may do pretty good(40-50 points) there for a few years until they find better options. I think he'll have a decent career in the NHL for 4-6 years then end up in Russia.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

i will admit i did not see him play often...but from what i saw i liked him....seemed to have good energy and can really skate....

Old
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
i will admit i did not see him play often...but from what i saw i liked him....seemed to have good energy and can really skate....
That's a very disturbing picture you have for avatar...

Old
10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
habsfan56

grabs was useless to our team, but i still think he can become a 50-60 point player in the league.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Grabovski - A Loss?
No, Grabovski - A Lost!

Old
10-06-2008, 12:24 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

an awesome prospect...too bad he is a Leaf now, I would have loved him to become a canuck at least!

Old
10-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
I didnt vote, but hes really been great for us over in Toronto thusfar. He's had some good chemistry with Hagman and Kulemin (before he got injured). I'll be the first to admit most of us were not too happy about it at the time, but the guy is all heart and determination out there. I was suprised that a guy his size is willing to go into the corners and take a check, but there he is. Hes quickly becomming a fan favourite.

I think the reason he had a hard time with the guys you mentioned is that he needs to be the freewheeler on his line and I doubt he was that with Kost and Kovy. Not his or Montreal's fault, just not the best fit together.

I know its preseason, but hes been almost if not a ppg guy and pretty much ALWAYS creates chances when hes out there. Hes becomming a fan favourite pretty fast.

But then again, you got Lang, who you needed so I cant see many of you complaining either. Turned out to be a pretty fair trade I'd say

First time a Leaf fans says the real things in a Habs thread...

Honestly u Fanboys ur getting ridiculous... Had we been out of the playoffs last year Grabovsky would have been given time to play... especially with Slow-mo (smolinski) not being needed for the future.

Mikhail had undeniable offensive talent, what the hell the average man can see more talent in Grabo then we could have ever imagined in Pleks (how many of u guys remember the time when he was updating his own website... finishing last in training/strength workouts - by his own admission - we were all worried about him playing in the nhl...we all pegged him as a 3rd line center, and only a few of us ever saw him as a 2nd line center). Grabovski has 1st line potential we all know it, its a matter of him getting used to the nhl and getting his timing, he's got the wheels, vision, skills to do it.

Sick and tired of hearing ppl say he's crap we never needed him, Jeez same crowd who say Perezhogin was crap, bunch of zealots...Dandenault is crap... and heck at 700K he wouldn't be one... But hey that's the way its always going to be... as soon as someone leaves the habs "oh we didn't need them anyway"

get real

1st time in muy life i'll be following the leafs... depending on his development i might get my first leaf jersey in the next few years... go Grabs!

Old
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
First time a Leaf fans says the real things in a Habs thread...

Honestly u Fanboys ur getting ridiculous... Had we been out of the playoffs last year Grabovsky would have been given time to play... especially with Slow-mo (smolinski) not being needed for the future.

Mikhail had undeniable offensive talent, what the hell the average man can see more talent in Grabo then we could have ever imagined in Pleks (how many of u guys remember the time when he was updating his own website... finishing last in training/strength workouts - by his own admission - we were all worried about him playing in the nhl...we all pegged him as a 3rd line center, and only a few of us ever saw him as a 2nd line center). Grabovski has 1st line potential we all know it, its a matter of him getting used to the nhl and getting his timing, he's got the wheels, vision, skills to do it.

Sick and tired of hearing ppl say he's crap we never needed him, Jeez same crowd who say Perezhogin was crap, bunch of zealots...Dandenault is crap... and heck at 700K he wouldn't be one... But hey that's the way its always going to be... as soon as someone leaves the habs "oh we didn't need them anyway"

get real

1st time in muy life i'll be following the leafs... depending on his development i might get my first leaf jersey in the next few years... go Grabs!
I disagree....

Perezhogin was a developping talent, i was upset when he left.

As for Mikhail.. heres a guy who in my eyes is very skilled, but quite simply not strong enough... he can light up the AHL, but i doubt he will be a great NHL player...

He may be good enough to score some points for a team that is offensively challenged like the leafs... but i don't see a team with him as a #1 or 2 centre ever winning anything. Lang will probably get less points than him this year, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't choose Lang over him every day of the week.

Valeri bure and Oleg Petrov scored points for us at times... doesn't mean they were guys we could win with. As long as Mikhail has a spot on one of the leafs top 2 lines, i know that they arent a legit threat to do anything.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I disagree....

Perezhogin was a developping talent, i was upset when he left.

As for Mikhail.. heres a guy who in my eyes is very skilled, but quite simply not strong enough... he can light up the AHL, but i doubt he will be a great NHL player...

He may be good enough to score some points for a team that is offensively challenged like the leafs... but i don't see a team with him as a #1 or 2 centre ever winning anything. Lang will probably get less points than him this year, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't choose Lang over him every day of the week.

Valeri bure and Oleg Petrov scored points for us at times... doesn't mean they were guys we could win with. As long as Mikhail has a spot on one of the leafs top 2 lines, i know that they arent a legit threat to do anything.
Neither was Pleks remember? (I'm sure u were around then). That's the type of thing that can be worked on, and Grabo was 1 year (or strength and conditioning) away from full time spot I find.

Also i believe Grabs will suprise you. He has the potential to be atleast a #2 center on a winning team

Old
10-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
So far so good. Grabs finishes with 8 points in 8 games, and a 4 game goal streak (I believe).

They mentioned on the broadcast tonight that for a small-ish guy, he's not afraid of the corners. Now I didn't see him play for the Habs last season, so maybe it's something he worked on over the summer.

But he's not a softie. He took a stick to the face took 40 stitches or something and was back the same game and played the next game as well, didn't miss a beat. Not a huge deal, but it showed that he's committed.
Nope, he's been like that for a while. IIRC, he got an injury in his first Habs training camp, I think he went face first into the boards/glass but carried on. In Hamilton, he was a little quiet on occasion, but there were plenty of times he got knocked down, got back up and stuck in right away, or stuck up for himself. The year the Dogs won the Calder Cup, one player much bigger than him cheap shotted Grabs to the ice in the playoffs. He got back up, dropped the gloves and fought. He wasn't too good in the fight, but that's not the issue. I think I remember him squaring up to someone 6'7/6'8 in the regular season as well, although there was nothing more than pushing and shoving. It might have been Brian Sipotz, although I could be mistaken.

I hope he does very well for you guys. He finally has a really good chance to show what he can do and when he is on his game, he can do an awful lot with the puck. There wasn't room for him on our team anymore, it seemed, so for the team to get such a good return for him is very good for the Habs. In that regard, I'm not sad to see him go. But I was/am a fan of his so I'm a little sorry to see him have this chance with another team, especially the Leafs, but I can deal with that as the Habs are in better shape now. Hopefully he learned well with the Habs and can now help the Leafs thrash the Bruins on a regular basis

Old
10-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I liked the deal from the getgo...

He no longer fit on this team, therefore he had very little value for us.

Anything he does elsewhere is irrelavant.

Kinda like the Ribeiro situation. I wish him well, but what he does elsewhere has no bearing on what he would of done with us
I agree with this post, except for the fact that he's playing for the Leafs, which would make it a lot harder to cheer for him if he turned out good.. I don't know much about (and don't really expect much from) Patteryn, so I would have been happier if the trade was with Chicago and he ended up there, but what's done is done and I'm looking forward to seeing Lang as a Hab, and I hope Grabovski can have great 74 games (you know which ones I want him to suck in) for the Leafs.

Old
10-06-2008, 05:14 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Give the kid a break man, hes a young guy, loads of potential and yeah he had an out burst. I think he will end up a great NHLer maybe in the all star game a few times, but in the long run he was a few hairs shy of cracking the 3rd line.

Old
10-06-2008, 07:21 AM
mcphee

I think Grabs will be a good bad team player. I expect him to put up enough points this year to keep his name in there when we want to criticize management. He'll provide some spark to th eLeafs but as they improve over time, add some young talent after a few bad years, he'll fade. That's the impression I get anyways.

This millenium's Dan Daoust.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Neither was Pleks remember? (I'm sure u were around then). That's the type of thing that can be worked on, and Grabo was 1 year (or strength and conditioning) away from full time spot I find.

Also i believe Grabs will suprise you. He has the potential to be atleast a #2 center on a winning team
Full time spot on what team? He was not going to get it this year with the Habs. If he was going to be AHL and press box most of the year, next year he ends up back home and the Habs lose him for nothing. This was an excellent trade by Gainey.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Bullsmith

Lang and Pateryn is a lot better than him going to the KHL for nothing, which was becoming increasingly likely IMO.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Full time spot on what team? He was not going to get it this year with the Habs. If he was going to be AHL and press box most of the year, next year he ends up back home and the Habs lose him for nothing. This was an excellent trade by Gainey.
What if you don't deal yet for a Lang in waiting to see what Grabovski will do and he has the same preseason has he has now? Some would say that he would not have the same preseason but why's that? He's playing with freakin Niklas Hagman in TO? He would have been able to play with something better than that here. Then some would say, he would not have the same icetime....how's that? Tons of forwards were injured and if MaxPac was able to get 5 or 6 games, so would Grabs. Even more than it might have been the final chance for him to make a case for himself.

I have to be frank, I wasn't a Grabs fan due to how easily he could be checked. Still, we're a fast team, that's our identity....well it's suppose to but now adding an ordinairy skater like Lang, doesn't fare well with that kind of identity. But my point is more about giving our young guys all the chances to flourish here and then if it doesn't work, then, sure send them packing. I just don't believe Grabs had the chance to show what he could do. How can we really know what he could or couldn't give us if we really didn't try him too much???

Old
10-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What if you don't deal yet for a Lang in waiting to see what Grabovski will do and he has the same preseason has he has now? Some would say that he would not have the same preseason but why's that? He's playing with freakin Niklas Hagman in TO? He would have been able to play with something better than that here. Then some would say, he would not have the same icetime....how's that? Tons of forwards were injured and if MaxPac was able to get 5 or 6 games, so would Grabs. Even more than it might have been the final chance for him to make a case for himself.

I have to be frank, I wasn't a Grabs fan due to how easily he could be checked. Still, we're a fast team, that's our identity....well it's suppose to but now adding an ordinairy skater like Lang, doesn't fare well with that kind of identity. But my point is more about giving our young guys all the chances to flourish here and then if it doesn't work, then, sure send them packing. I just don't believe Grabs had the chance to show what he could do. How can we really know what he could or couldn't give us if we really didn't try him too much???
Given his size and style, I think we are better off with Lang as #3 center. He is strong on faceoffs and much better defensively plus he is 215-220 lbs so he can play head to head with big centermen without getting outmuscled in the defensive zone.

I think Grabovsky loses a lot of his value when he is not in your top 6, Toronto and Montreal are at the 2 ends of the spectrum in terms of forward depth.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Given his size and style, I think we are better off with Lang as #3 center. He is strong on faceoffs and much better defensively plus he is 215-220 lbs so he can play head to head with big centermen without getting outmuscled in the defensive zone.

I think Grabovsky loses a lot of his value when he is not in your top 6, Toronto and Montreal are at the 2 ends of the spectrum in terms of forward depth.
Good point. Still, even with Lang as a centerman, I would have been tempted to try him as a winger. He would not have won a lot of battles along the board, but might have used his skills to get the puck out anyway.

Again, it's just a question of some of our youth that I don't think we give them a hard enough look and get rid of them before doing so. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep, it shouldn't be a Ribeiro V.2 since Grabovski still has to prove a lot AND the fact that not only Lang could be serviceable but Pateryn could develop into something good as well......(though on the Ribeiro, some might still wonder how Conboy will develop....the only hope that the Ribeiro trade wasn't that bad after all....)

Old
10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The guy is a concussion waiting to happen. Tries to play way bigger then he is and he's going to get his clock cleaned very soon.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good point. Still, even with Lang as a centerman, I would have been tempted to try him as a winger. He would not have won a lot of battles along the board, but might have used his skills to get the puck out anyway.

Again, it's just a question of some of our youth that I don't think we give them a hard enough look and get rid of them before doing so. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep, it shouldn't be a Ribeiro V.2 since Grabovski still has to prove a lot AND the fact that not only Lang could be serviceable but Pateryn could develop into something good as well......(though on the Ribeiro, some might still wonder how Conboy will develop....the only hope that the Ribeiro trade wasn't that bad after all....)
Grabovsky was traded for hockey reasons, there were guys as skilled as him but younger or bigger and he was caught in the numbers. I think Gainey thought he may go play in Russia at some point if things did not work so it was a trade him or lose him scenario.

Ribeiro was not really traded for hockey reasons, though he had his issues on ice(not strong defensively and very streaky), it was mostly due to his lifestyle and felt he was a cancer in the room. It's pretty obvious he has matured since then and used it as a wakeup call.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Antropovsky

The best part about his preseason is that most of the scoring chances he has created weren't even finished... yet he still managed 8 points. His motor never quits, he doesn't hesitate to go into corners or to the net, and physical punishment seems to only motivate him more. I don't want to get overly optimistic being that this IS only Preseason, but the level of heart he has displayed out there (up until this point) is nothing short of inspiring. Hopefully (from a Leaf standpoint) he's not just a flash in the pan.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Russeltown

Grabovski's problem was between his two ears.
I don't consider that as a loss.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Grabovski's problem was between his two ears.
I don't consider that as a loss.
He had one event and he's a cancer? The guy clearly belongs in the NHL, and is turning 25.... do you blame him for wanting a real opportunity? If I was him, I would have asked for a trade as well.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
He had one event and he's a cancer? The guy clearly belongs in the NHL, and is turning 25.... do you blame him for wanting a real opportunity? If I was him, I would have asked for a trade as well.
He played 24 games and sucked big time.

IIRC he was also good with the habs last pre season.

Closed Thread