HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Demers thinks something's up

Old
10-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Actually they do if there are many injuries. Just saying.
What did I write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
7th Dman don't usually play 70+ games, or keep a regular spot on the roster.
Just saying.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The problem with the idea of the Habs trading Lapierre is that we lack depth at NHL ready Centres. Even if Chips took the 4th line Centre position, we don't really have any other NHL ready checking Centres. Begin has played it in the past but he is much more effective on the Wing.
Maxwell is NHL ready for a defensive role right now. Begin is decent at centre, hell even Kostopoulos can play at centre.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Maxwell is NHL ready for a defensive role right now. Begin is decent at centre, hell even Kostopoulos can play at centre.
ummm... don't think so on the bolded part.

He had a good camp... but with the amount of WHL games he has missed the last two years i need to see him play consistently at that level before i'm ready to put him in the NHL.... especially if its to be a fourth liner at 8 minutes per game instead of a 20 minute AHLer.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
ummm... don't think so on the bolded part.

He had a good camp... but with the amount of WHL games he has missed the last two years i need to see him play consistently at that level before i'm ready to put him in the NHL.... especially if its to be a fourth liner at 8 minutes per game instead of a 20 minute AHLer.
I didn't say it would be good for his development, but the poster wanted names of NHL ready centres, and Maxwell is ready for checking line/ defensive duties. He showed his poise, talent, awareness and speed in the preseason for a second year in a row.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I didn't say it would be good for his development, but the poster wanted names of NHL ready centres, and Maxwell is ready for checking line/ defensive duties. He showed his poise, talent, awareness and speed in the preseason for a second year in a row.
Okay... ut I still say its a small sample and we don't have much to judge if he can be consistent.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The problem with the idea of the Habs trading Lapierre is that we lack depth at NHL ready Centres. Even if Chips took the 4th line Centre position, we don't really have any other NHL ready checking Centres. Begin has played it in the past but he is much more effective on the Wing.
Lapierre stinks as a C, he should really be playing the wing

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Okay... ut I still say its a small sample and we don't have much to judge if he can be consistent.
He'd be still better than Lapierre, as inconsistent as he can be.

Old
10-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Saw the title of this thread and thought I'd been somehow redirected to Eklund's site.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:06 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Saw the title of this thread and thought I'd been somehow redirected to Eklund's site.
Oh it will make it there just you wait.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Boy, some of the posts in this thread are too much. Did you guys post after coming home from Crescent St. or did you do it this morning after not fully recovering from last night's hang over. Let's take a look at what's being said.

1) Demers mentions that he's never seen so many scouts gathered together in Mtl. Right. We had an intelligent poster who said other teams reserve two places for each opposing teams' scouts, so this kinda puts Demers comments in doubt. Maybe, just maybe, he has been out of the loop and doesn't know what a lot of scouts are any more.

2)But Let's assume he's right. There are alot of scouts. Why do you guys assume that because of this there's a trade between Montreal and the Wild for Gaborik. Does this even make sense to you? What are these other scouts here for? To be bridesmaids or make sure that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted in the trade contract? Or are they being sent here to witness Gainey's stick work as he screws Reisborough on the Gaborik trade?

3)Again, let's assume that Demers is right. There's way too many scouts. What do you think happened? Gainey sent a fax to all the GM's mentioning he has a special sale (2 for 1) on fringe players like Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin and the GM's scrambled to send their scouts here? Does that sound like something gainey would do? And if you answered yes to that question, then do you think that it's something the other GM's would do?

4)Did you guys ever consider maybe there's a junior team in Montreal now so the scouts come to scout the team and stay over to take notes on NHL player's their teams may be interested in.

5)Isn't waivers coming up soon? So maybe that's another possibility? Maybe There are lots of scouts at all the hockey venues in North America - not just MtL.

6) Since the reasonable possibilities don't seem to interest some of you then I'll post my crazy idea. Maybe all these scout heard that Trevor Timmons is hiring someone to scout the frozen tundras of Siberia and all these scouts are here chomping at the bit to work for the Habs' on their 100th anniversary.

great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I wonder who they were looking at on our team?

how do you know they werent looking at Wild players? lets not forget that it was their final pre-season game lastnight also....

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-06-2008 at 01:00 AM.
xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
how do you know they werent looking at Wild players? lets not forget that it was their final pre-season game lastnight also....
How do you know they weren't looking at ours?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:33 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Boy, some of the posts in this thread are too much. Did you guys post after coming home from Crescent St. or did you do it this morning after not fully recovering from last night's hang over. Let's take a look at what's being said.

1) Demers mentions that he's never seen so many scouts gathered together in Mtl. Right. We had an intelligent poster who said other teams reserve two places for each opposing teams' scouts, so this kinda puts Demers comments in doubt. Maybe, just maybe, he has been out of the loop and doesn't know what a lot of scouts are any more.

2)But Let's assume he's right. There are alot of scouts. Why do you guys assume that because of this there's a trade between Montreal and the Wild for Gaborik. Does this even make sense to you? What are these other scouts here for? To be bridesmaids or make sure that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted in the trade contract? Or are they being sent here to witness Gainey's stick work as he screws Reisborough on the Gaborik trade?

3)Again, let's assume that Demers is right. There's way too many scouts. What do you think happened? Gainey sent a fax to all the GM's mentioning he has a special sale (2 for 1) on fringe players like Dandenault, Brisebois and Begin and the GM's scrambled to send their scouts here? Does that sound like something gainey would do? And if you answered yes to that question, then do you think that it's something the other GM's would do?

4)Did you guys ever consider maybe there's a junior team in Montreal now so the scouts come to scout the team and stay over to take notes on NHL player's their teams may be interested in.

5)Isn't waivers coming up soon? So maybe that's another possibility? Maybe There are lots of scouts at all the hockey venues in North America - not just MtL.

6) Since the reasonable possibilities don't seem to interest some of you then I'll post my crazy idea. Maybe all these scout heard that Trevor Timmons is hiring someone to scout the frozen tundras of Siberia and all these scouts are here chomping at the bit to work for the Habs' on their 100th anniversary.
really, a guy who saw things in an arena or two knows more about this than a guy like Demers, who went in each and every single arena in the league (either as coach or media)... really...

Yeah! there's this new rule I heard about, can't scout a game unless you were invited by the GM of the home team...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:21 AM
kevanos

It's possible that Bob may have to move a player in the occasion that Sundin decides to play in Montreal.

He's setting up a potential deal to make room for Mats.

kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:16 AM
habs_fan_73

The type of move that the Habs need is one like Pittsburgh did in 1991 when they got Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson... It would be difficult to reproduce in this cap era though. But it's the kind of trade needed, adding to an already good offense and stabilize the defense.

habs_fan_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:47 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Honestly, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the Habs have made a bunch of players available and are trying to make cap room to sign Sundin.

I don't understand why scouts from all over the league would be looking at our guys...One or 2 teams, yeah...But not that many different scouts.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:09 AM
otto bond

MTL is just fun to watch. The bell center is full every night and a great ambiance to booth
For those who still beleive in Sundin coming over to the Habs are

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:25 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He is as ready defensively as Stamkos is ready offensively.
Quote:

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Skyblaze

Somehow, I don't really think the scouts were there to see a specific player's trade value. I think it's a lot more likely that the majority of them were there to see how one of the projected top team in the East plays and how to stop them. Normally, they'd probably be split between watching the Habs and the Pens (and maybe the Rangers) but with those two other teams across the ocean, it gave us an inflated number in Montreal.

Late pre-season and early season is the best time to get a bearing on how your rivals are going to play for the season and start planning on how to defeat them. It's a bit too late to build a gameplan in december; and we can expect every team to double their efforts against ours this year.

There isn't any real need to send a scout to watch a Begin or a Dandenault play, they're pretty much known quantities as depth players and are more likely than not available for late picks so teams get those players more on an account of need of a warm body than on account of seeing something special in their play.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:25 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
Somehow, I don't really think the scouts were there to see a specific player's trade value. I think it's a lot more likely that the majority of them were there to see how one of the projected top team in the East plays and how to stop them. Normally, they'd probably be split between watching the Habs and the Pens (and maybe the Rangers) but with those two other teams across the ocean, it gave us an inflated number in Montreal.

Late pre-season and early season is the best time to get a bearing on how your rivals are going to play for the season and start planning on how to defeat them. It's a bit too late to build a gameplan in december; and we can expect every team to double their efforts against ours this year.

There isn't any real need to send a scout to watch a Begin or a Dandenault play, they're pretty much known quantities as depth players and are more likely than not available for late picks so teams get those players more on an account of need of a warm body than on account of seeing something special in their play.
Somehow i don't think player scouts are paid to decipher teams strategies. Maybe i am wrong.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:27 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Somehow i don't think player scouts are paid to decipher teams strategies. Maybe i am wrong.
I think they evaluate strenghts and weaknesses on individual players, but as for the strategy, I think it would be the coaching staff looking at video to make sense of it all.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Okay, so who are we looking at during a Buffalo vs Columbus game???? Just a proof that tons of scouts were everywhere, and it doesn't mean that something is necessarily up....What Demers probably forgot or didn't check is that while there were tons of scouts in Montreal, seems that there were tons of scouts everywhere else....

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/10..._aplenty.shtml

Quote:
There are plenty of scouts in the press box at the Natty tonight. On hand are representatives from Vancouver, New Jersey, the Rangers, Ottawa, Florida, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa Bay and Detroit.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Jacques Demers thinks something's up
His weight?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
crazyforhockey

Maybe the forward scraps (leftovers)of Mtl (again a team blessed with offensive depth right now)-that was Buff a few years back.Lot of teams with cap issues,could get a solid offensive player in the minimum to 2 mil range.Mtl doesnt have to trade can go as is,but may always look for a good deal back to them(probably a bigger forward or picks so they can call up Max Pacioretty.Or a solid FO man

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote