HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official: Drury Named Captain, Gomez and Naslund get the A's

Old
10-03-2008, 07:21 PM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Tom Renney will give no letter to Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, etc...

We know this because he gives the letters to those he thinks are worthy of it in the preseason..

Kalinin, Mara, Rozsival, Betts, will all get an "A" before any youngster mentioned.

So unless Redden, Naslund, Gomez, Kalinin, Mara, Rozsival, and Betts are out all at the same time, no youngster will have an 'A'..at least this season.
I wouldn't give it to any of the kids either as they simply don't need the additional
burden. especially when you have a 7 yr Captain in Naslund and a 6 or 7 yr assistant in Redden.

Drury was the obvious C and Gomez and his role an obvious A and the other one could've gone either way to Redden or Naslund IMO but Naslund being a long-serving captain I think gave him the edge and I bet Redden has zero problem with that.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
shoothepuck

Drury with the C and Gomez and Nas as A's is the right thing to do.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Drury was the only real choice. Naslund and Gomez will make great alternates. All in all, good on Slats and Renney for picking the right guys. I agree with the buzz that Redden could've been an alternate over Naslund but I suspect he might get a couple games with a letter if injuries should arise.

Gotta be honest, I'm liking the way the Rangers are going. They have a very nice mix of youth and experience going for them. I think they might do aight this year!

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
ap215

Congrats guys well deserved.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
NYRMatt

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt24 View Post
I'd rather Redden wear it. First, I just like the idea of having a letter on the back end and second, I never liked Naslund as a leader in Vancouver. I'm putting an A on my Redden jersey just for schitzengiggles.
I agree.

In a way it represents the leader of the defense corp.

I would have given the other A to Redden, too.

But i think Naslund is an obvious good choice, too.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
BklyNYR4Life

sometimes the obvious choice is still the right one, and this one was perfect.

if there was any doubt, or window left open that it wasn't going to be drury. his 1st goal against metalurg sealed it. not scoring the goal, in typical drury fashion of parking in front and getting the garbage goal, but he totally called out HIS entire team to step it up, and step it up they did!!!

DRURY!!!

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
NYRMatt

I think Rozsival would have been runner up for the 'A' actually. He's been here just about the longest of anyone on this team right now.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
slim399

We have all second guessed the large contracts given to drury and gomez. there is no reason they shouldnt be... based on skill and point totals alone they are 5-6 million dollar players. But the fact is they are both proven winners. This isn't just Drury getting the C, but the team being given over to him and Gomez. They both signed here together and i for one am very happy they are leading this team along with playing on the same line together.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:11 PM
NYR Viper

i think the reason the renney gave the A to naslund has something to do withthe fact that his contract is up in 2 years and players like staal, dubi and cally could all be ready to take that A when that is up

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Ghills23

Not surprising. Great move. Three amazing leaders.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
polako

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I would have liked to see Dubinsky get one of the As. With all three pieces of the captaincy changing hands, I thought the time was ripe for Dubi to get his foot in the door. The kid has grown up in the NYR system and will likely be on this team for a long time; I thought that makes him a better choice than 3 guys who have pretty much made their names elsewhere.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 09:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
I'm a little late to this conversation, but I would have liked to see Dubinsky get one of the As. With all three pieces of the captaincy changing hands, I thought the time was ripe for Dubi to get his foot in the door. The kid has grown up in the NYR system and will likely be on this team for a long time; I thought that makes him a better choice than 3 guys who have pretty much made their names elsewhere.
maybe in a couple years when naslund's contract is up.....i like dubi, but to put that kind of pressure on a sophmore in the nhl could destroy the kids career

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

seriously, as a vancouver canucks fan i dont think its a good idea to give any leadership role to Naslund. Its a big mistake for the rangers to do that if they want to win in games that matters.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
maybe in a couple years when naslund's contract is up.....i like dubi, but to put that kind of pressure on a sophmore in the nhl could destroy the kids career
No, I agree, it would be too early for the captaincy (he's not Crosby, after all), but why not give him an A, behind Drury and Gomez, two guys who will be here for at least the next 3 years?

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 11:08 AM
hdw

What people has to keep in mind is that the role of the Captain (or captains) is a wee bit more than looking cute on the ice and talking to refs.

They also act as conduits between the coaches/management and the team. Dealing with practice schedule, travelling schedules, accommodations and even food served on road trips.

They play a very serious role monitoring and, when needed, adjusting the chatter in the locker room.

And the one key thing for them the be able to perform that job is the respect from their peers.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 677
Näslund might be one of those guys that are better off without a letter on his chest, I think. Anyway, probably won't matter much. Leadership floats to the top letter or no letter.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I am questioning the wisdom of having a C and two A's on the same forward line??!!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote