HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New info on the Balsillie takeover

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2008, 12:28 PM
HamiltonSteelhawks*

vCash: 500
New info on the Balsillie takeover

According to the on-air crew on Prime Time Sports in Toronto (FAN 590), it appears Jim is going through Bankruptcy Court to get Del Baggio's share in the team (roughly 25%).

In contrast to many beliefs the league WILL NOT have a say in Balsillie owner that part of the team (according to a legal analyst on The FAN 590). They have no say in what happens in court and it would be ruled by a judge.

It's Jim's way of getting his foot in the door. Once he's in, I would guess he'd begin the process of relocating the team.

If the league tries to block him, it's widely believed he would then take the league to court with every high priced lawyer money can by and the consensus seems to be that he would win.

Just giving everyone some insight as to what's been going on from this side.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonSteelhawks View Post
According to the on-air crew on Prime Time Sports in Toronto (FAN 590), it appears Jim is going through Bankruptcy Court to get Del Baggio's share in the team (roughly 25%).

In contrast to many beliefs the league WILL NOT have a say in Balsillie owner that part of the team (according to a legal analyst on The FAN 590). They have no say in what happens in court and it would be ruled by a judge.

It's Jim's way of getting his foot in the door. Once he's in, I would guess he'd begin the process of relocating the team.

If the league tries to block him, it's widely believed he would then take the league to court with every high priced lawyer money can by and the consensus seems to be that he would win.

So, explain to me how someone that owns a quarter of a team (if he gets it) relocates said team?

By the way...the league has no say in who bids...but the local ownership group CAN veto any potential owner.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:42 PM
HamiltonSteelhawks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
So, explain to me how someone that owns a quarter of a team (if he gets it) relocates said team?

By the way...the league has no say in who bids...but the local ownership group CAN veto any potential owner.
I said he'd begin the process to relocate the team. It's no question that Jim is very determined. Even if it's buying out the other owners

While I don't know for sure, yes the local ownership group can intervene. But that's if they want to. It all comes down to dollars.

Let's be honest...the team would be his by now if it wasn't for Bettman and the league black balling him. Why would Leapold reject an offer that paid him almost double what the team was worth? He didn't care where the team played. Once again...all about dollars.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
trotzian brow

Quote:

kthxbye

Wouldn't you and your ilk be better served by posting this on the BOH forum so you GTA residents can amass for your large circle jerks?

Like Barry asked above, how does 25% equal complete ownership?

Thanks for your insight.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Anyway can somebody not in Hamilton, tell me in laymans terms what's going on.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I said he'd begin the process to relocate the team. It's no question that Jim is very determined. Even if it's buying out the other owners

While I don't know for sure, yes the local ownership group can intervene. But that's if they want to. It all comes down to dollars.

Let's be honest...the team would be his by now if it wasn't for Bettman and the league black balling him. Why would Leapold reject an offer that paid him almost double what the team was worth? He didn't care where the team played. Once again...all about dollars.
You're believing what you want to believe, without regard to the facts or what actually happened. You can say it was Bettman "blackballing" the move, but from a business perspective...the LEAGUE and its BOG weren't on board with a simultaneous petition for sale AND RELOCATION in the same ceremonious occasion, especially when the item for sale was subject to a binding lease.

If Balsillie could simply come in and throw some money at the owners, who by your speculation are already scheming to get out of town, why even bother with buying the shares? Why not offer them a golden parachute and buy the team outright? This time putting down a good-faith deposit BEFORE all of his little conditions are met...the inherent flaw in his plan that was "foiled" last time?

Old
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
HamiltonSteelhawks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Silhouette View Post
kthxbye

Wouldn't you and your ilk be better served by posting this on the BOH forum so you GTA residents can amass for your large circle jerks?

Like Barry asked above, how does 25% equal complete ownership?

Thanks for your insight.
Hamilton is actually NOT in any way part of the GTA first of all.

Secondly...I answered the 25% questions...twice

Thirdly...I understand you're bitter but I'm informing

Old
10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Anyway can somebody not in Hamilton, tell me in laymans terms what's going on.
Basically, Sillyballs wants to go through the bankruptcy court to buy Boots' share of the team (which is closer to 20% than 25%).

HSW suggests that Sillyballs wants to buy out the other ~80% of the team from the local ownership group, which I guess means he thinks the local ownership is stupid or Sillyballs is going to pretty much unload his bank account to make a convincing enough pitch to sell the team...

I don't know why Jimbo is so hellbent on getting the Predators, when he could just go after the Thrashers, who reportedly have a season ticket renewal rate of about 40% and whose ownership is in complete disarray.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

In before the thread is locked!!
And I would call it more GLOATING than informing.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
predfan24

Quote:

WOW process of relocating the team? You guys are really reaching now. Just face it as long as the local ownership owns the team it's going NOWHERE. If this city fails it might move but it will have nothing to do with what baldsack did or hamilton it will be on this city

Old
10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Basically, Sillyballs wants to go through the bankruptcy court to buy Boots' share of the team (which is closer to 20% than 25%).

HSW suggests that Sillyballs wants to buy out the other ~80% of the team from the local ownership group, which I guess means he thinks the local ownership is stupid or Sillyballs is going to pretty much unload his bank account to make a convincing enough pitch to sell the team...

I don't know why Jimbo is so hellbent on getting the Predators, when he could just go after the Thrashers, who reportedly have a season ticket renewal rate of about 40% and whose ownership is in complete disarray.
I see, so what are the chances of us moving.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
predfan24

Quote:
i think for the short term future we are fine. If local ownership was to sell to ballsilly now after everything that has happened and everything they have said. Yeah they would be crucified and would probaly not want to ever show their faces around nashville again

Old
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I'd say less than 10%, there's no way the ownership would sell to someone that isn't going to give Nashville a fair shake unless Jimbo offers WAY more than the team's value.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Soundgarden

Thanks.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
i think for the short term future we are fine. If local ownership was to sell to ballsilly now after everything that has happened and everything they have said. Yeah they would be crucified and would probaly not want to ever show their faces around nashville again
And just to point out for those that aren't familiar with the members of our current ownership group (not including DelBiaggio or Woo), they are all long-time (if not life-long) Nashville area residents. Do their business here, live here, and have ties throughout the community.

They would be committing career/character suicide if they sold to Balsillie. They would seriously need to get enough money and be disconnected enough emotionally from this area that they could take the blood money they would have to have received and move out of this entire region (out of state, out of the Southeast, etc) because they would never succeed here in business ever again.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

Good point. Perhaps the Thrashers don't have an attainable exit clause in their lease, or until the ownership fiasco is settled the club can't be sold ? I don't know.

Maybe Balsillie just sees a good investment to place some cash. The preferred shares do have an annual dividend of $2M or so. Plus it would finally get him into the NHL's inner circle for the future.

Last edited by Hawker14: 10-06-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Im in.
Jim sucks,
Close the thread now.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Stranger

Doesn't the local group have the option of not only refusing who gets shares but also the ability to buy out Boots' shares after 3 years?

Old
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Lock it

Old
10-06-2008, 02:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Can we get a lock please?

Old
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If you want to speculate that Nashville is moving to Hamilton, at least bring a link. Relishing a potential buyout of our franchise ON our forums is not going to happen here.

Locked.