HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks acquire Shane O'Brien and Michel Ouellet

Old
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Holy smokes. I LOVE Shane O'Brien! Tampa Bay misused him badly, and his play and confidence suffered as a result. Basically threw him to the wolves on an abysmal team. He'll be GREAT as a depth guy for us. We have one badass defense this year. Krajicek is all flash and little substance in my opinion - I like him as a player, but I can totally see us saying the exact same things about him 3 years down the road: "Wow, he sure can skate, but when is he gonna put the whole package together?" My answer: Never.

Mike Gillis is awesome.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
So the question for me is what do our PP pairings look like? Salo/Edler and Ohlund/Bieksa?
edit:
nevermind...misread post.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Alan Jackson

My first thought is that O'Brien and Davison might make a player like Kevin Bieksa available.

I've been opposed to dealing Bieksa, and I still am, but the Canucks can probably afford to lose that toughness now if they were to trade Bieksa for a forward.

I haven't read through all the posts in this tread yet - does Oulette have to pass through recall waivers if he were to get the call to come up from Winnipeg? I assume he would.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Mitchell-Bieksa
Ohlund-Edler
O'Brien-Salo
PP? Mitchell?

I'm thinking
Ohlund Salo
Edler Bieksa

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kmad
Riot Survivor

O'Brien's been one of my favorite non-Canucks since he entered the league. Love the move.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Mr Underhill

I hope you guys take a look at what I wrote. He seems to be one of those players who "can do it but for some reason doesnt". He will probably sweep you off your feet in the first game when he drops the gloves and lands a hard hit or sticks up for his teamates. But for some reason that all goes away.

But who knows, it might work for you guys. Im just telling you what happened in Tampa.

And if Krajicek is a "Meszaros lite", then this trade is lopsided.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher0805 View Post
I would've preferred to keep Krajicek.
Yeah Im not sold on this trade. Time will tell.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Simply an awful deal for the Canucks. They lose a guy who can skate and move the puck extremely well, and not look out of place playing a few games on a top pairing when needed, for a player who is no better than Davidson.

Plus you have to take on Omlett.

Junk. Gillis crapped the bed with this deal, to put it mildly. The Canucks need more guys who can skate and move the puck, not less.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I haven't read through all the posts in this tread yet - does Oulette have to pass through recall waivers if he were to get the call to come up from Winnipeg? I assume he would.
Yes he would. I'm guessing he was part of the deal because TB didn't want to pay him a million dollars to play in the minors but the Canucks were willing to.

Keep in mind that O'Brien is the same age as Krajicek and put up the same number of points Krajicek was on pace for. He's not a black hole offensively like a guy like Davison would be.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Simply an awful deal for the Canucks. They lose a guy who can skate and move the puck extremely well, and not look out of place playing a few games on a top pairing when needed, for a player who is no better than Davidson.

Junk. Gillis crapped the bed with this deal, to put it mildly. The Canucks need more guys who can skate and move the puck, not less.
O'Brien has better mobility and is a smarter player than Davison without sacrificing toughness or heart. I don't think that's a good comparison.

I disagree with the notion earlier in the thread that this makes Bieksa expendable. If anything, this makes him our team's best puck-mover after Edler, and makes him LESS expendable. If only he'd cut down on his tributes to Jovanovski.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Johnny Utah

A non Canuck or Tampa fan here...O'Brien doesn't even have the foot speed for the East...I think the Bolts got the better end of this deal...And Oullett? Why?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
MKennedy

In all seriousness, we shouldn't be getting overly excited or overly pesimistic about this deal. We're dealing a career 5th/6th D-Man for a career 5th/6th d-man with some more size. Ouellet could be good, but who cares if he isn't. He'll play with the Moose and help people develope.

Pretty slow news day if you ask my honest opinion, I'm happy with the move, but not excstatic.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Ok, so... with this trade we can say that the Canucks brass think
Nycholat>Krajicek
From what I've seen in the pre season Nycholat was more impactful. Although with the addition of O'Brien I'm not sure where he slots in if he does (1st call up?)

O'Brien adds more grit, toughness, and meanstreak to the defense which the Canucks defence core lacked last season (specially with the injury to Bieksa). Ohlund, Salo, Edler, and Bieksa need to step it up on the puck movement side which I think they can or else the Canucks will struggle.

Now we can also speculate that this deal allows Gillis the luxury of adding some more scoring via the defensive depth without giving up too much toughness on the back end if he trades Bieksa or Ohlund.

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
black ace

The weird thing for me is if our defence is already 8 deep then all we really did was get a physical guy for a puck-moving guy. If you think our opening day defence will be:
Ohlund
Mitchell
Bieksa
Edler
Salo
Davison/O'brien/Nycholat

I can see moving Kraijeck to free up the 6th spot for a rotation of Davison (when you want toughness) and Nycholat (when you want to be a little faster) but then adding another guy like Davison tells me 1 of 4 things.

1-They are disapointed with Davison so they want a different guy who adds toughness.
2-They think O'brien is a big upgrade over Davison or Nycholat so 1 of those 2 will now be waived.
3-Someone else will be moved very soon....
4-Someone is injured already and will be out for a while. But then why lose McIver for nothing 2 days ago ?
And Oullet ? He is AHL fodder unless we want to pay 1/2 his salary on re-entry because I think he would get claimed for sure.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
I hope you guys take a look at what I wrote. He seems to be one of those players who "can do it but for some reason doesnt". He will probably sweep you off your feet in the first game when he drops the gloves and lands a hard hit or sticks up for his teamates. But for some reason that all goes away.

But who knows, it might work for you guys. Im just telling you what happened in Tampa.
You have to understand the Canadian fan mentality; they absolutely orgasm over north american boys that hit (even if they're slow turds or can't do anything else) because that means they have heart, etc etc. Not saying SOB is that, but from what I've seen of him he's not as good a skater.

I'm also worried that Gillis thinks the defense will be healthy entirely thruoghout the season. Somebody is gonna go down eventually and Krajicek slots right into the top four as a result. At least depthwise we're still okay, but I don't think we can trade anybody else out on defense at this point.

Quote:
And if Krajicek is a "Meszaros lite", then this trade is lopsided.
Yes, we could be losing in this trade if Krajicek puts it together in TBay.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Think Meszaros lite. Still developing.
They don't play the same game at all...don't know why you even compare them.

I liken Krajicek more to Gonchar without the offensive numbers. Good wheels, good passing, but doesn't rag the puck and can get worked over down low.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
why didn't we just claim Ouellet when he was on waivers????
Because if we claimed him on waivers, we'd have to put him on waivers again to send him to Manitoba.

Since he cleared waivers in Tampa, we can assign him directly to Manitoba without putting him on waivers here.

Obviously he's a guy the organization wants to have in Manitoba, and believes that he'd bring more to the Moose than Simek would. I agree on that point.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yes he would. I'm guessing he was part of the deal because TB didn't want to pay him a million dollars to play in the minors but the Canucks were willing to.

Keep in mind that O'Brien is the same age as Krajicek and put up the same number of points Krajicek was on pace for. He's not a black hole offensively like a guy like Davison would be.
You can attribute a lot of that to the system John Torts implemented last year. He had EVERY defender pinch and join the rush on most every play. OB still has some offensive upside. But not near as much as a puck moving defenseman.

If you guys can somehow get OB to stay physical every game and not make bone headed mistakes and get burnt by fast skaters, than this will be a great deal for you guys. If not, you will grow to loath him just like Tampa fans.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Join in with your own Canuck predictions if you like or just tear mine apart

#1 If a Canuck defenceman is moved it will be Krajicek.

#2 Mark Parrish will be a Canuck sometime this year.

#3 Mike Gillis will add another young/prospect goaltender to the organization this
year (maybe Jonathan Quick?).

#4 Pyatt will not end the season as a Canuck.

#5 Demitra will score 30 goals this year.

#6 The Sedin twins will sign a 5 year extension this season.

#7 Pettinger will be moved - most likely waived.

#8 Grabner will be the first recall from the Moose this year.

#9 The Sedin's will both get 80 points this year.

#10 The Canucks will add a high profile player at the trade deadline ie: Gaborik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Well, it looks like I can check off the first of my 10 predictions for this year!!!!

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Impossibles

Maybe Gillis plans on traing O'Brien in january to get another first round pick?

Old
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Reign Nateo

Krajicek stalled and we know what he brings to the table, him for O'Brien is a wash in my eyes, two different players but similar value in my eyes. Oullet for Simek is a slight win for Vancouver at this point. Both teams are taking risks, but neither stands to look too bad from this deal.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
NCPokey

Not exactly a huge move either way. I think it's always nice to add toughness and physicality. I wonder if this has been prompted by Luongo being tired of being run, as the roster current stands, they have Bieksa, O'Brien and Davison who can maul people in front of the net.

And if he's inconsistent, that's alright, so is Krajicek. Good for Krajicek to end up somewhere that he can get a bit more ice time.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Because if we claimed him on waivers, we'd have to put him on waivers again to send him to Manitoba.

Since he cleared waivers in Tampa, we can assign him directly to Manitoba without putting him on waivers here.

Obviously he's a guy the organization wants to have in Manitoba, and believes that he'd bring more to the Moose than Simek would. I agree on that point.
Canucks can't afford to lose assets to bolster the Moose roster. Shouldn't even be a consideration. Simek has some potential, I have a hard time understanding that we'd have to give Lukas PLUS a prospect for O'Brien and Oulette (who has negative value).

Old
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
They don't play the same game at all...don't know why you even compare them.

I liken Krajicek more to Gonchar without the offensive numbers. Good wheels, good passing, but doesn't rag the puck and can get worked over down low.
Lukas doesn't have Gonchar's point shot.

I always thought of Meszaros and that type of dman, shifty and mobile, not a very good first pass but has the skills to setup and qb a pp and can move it up well.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote