HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7th Obsequious Banter Thread...Hartnell is Handzus.

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Lost at birth...

Old
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
If hartnell keeps the fro with the retro jersey's he'll look amazing in warm ups. I was having oldschool hockey flashbacks watching him in warmups with out his helmet on last saturday. pure awsomeness

Old
10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Ri hards

Soooo, I'm stressing out over these Law school applications I'm putting together, specifically the personal statement. Do I write it formally? Do I throw in the sob story to illicit some ethos?

Let me put it this way, how would you try to convice someone in two pages why you're better than 900 other applicants? Ideas? Comments?? Something for my sanity??

Old
10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Unstable

I wouldn't stress about it. I think I wrote my law school statement based on my grad school experience and the honest reasons why I wanted to go to law school.

I ended up getting into exactly the schools that my GPA and LSAT score suggested I would get into.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I wouldn't stress about it. I think I wrote my law school statement based on my grad school experience and the honest reasons why I wanted to go to law school.

I ended up getting into exactly the schools that my GPA and LSAT score suggested I would get into.
See, the thing is my GPA and LSAT are just at the cusp of getting me into these schools...around a 3.0 with a 161. I figure I need this sucker to push me over the edge.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Unstable

Yeah, I can see that. I don't know what schools you're looking at, but my assumption would be that they're the schools with highly competitive students who want to be in the top 10%, and who run really tough 1L courses to put pressure on their students. So, I don't know, maybe something about an impressive achievement or rising to meet and overcome a challenge?

And for the love of God get yourself instate tuition or a scholarship. This is not a great time to be going deep into debt. (Unless runaway inflation wipes out the debt, wheeeee! Ohdeargodhelpusall.)

Old
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. I don't know what schools you're looking at, but my assumption would be that they're the schools with highly competitive students who want to be in the top 10%, and who run really tough 1L courses to put pressure on their students. So, I don't know, maybe something about an impressive achievement or rising to meet and overcome a challenge?

And for the love of God get yourself instate tuition or a scholarship. This is not a great time to be going deep into debt. (Unless runaway inflation wipes out the debt, wheeeee! Ohdeargodhelpusall.)
The beauty of Candian Law Schools for domestic students is the cost. My first choice of McGill will cost $7300 a year for tuition. Second and third choice University of British Columbia and University of Alberta would cost $10,000 and $12,000 respectively.

I really want to throw in ridiculous anecdote from one of my assistant coaches that he dropped at an Atom House tournament. "If you never do another thing in your life, you remember you won this tournament." Sure it sounds good to a bunch of 8 year olds but the adults were all cracking up. "What? You're not going to accept me to University?? But, but I won the Bobby Love tournament, you HAVE to let me in!" I'm not too sure if that's too informal.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
The beauty of Candian Law Schools for domestic students is the cost. My first choice of McGill will cost $7300 a year for tuition. Second and third choice University of British Columbia and University of Alberta would cost $10,000 and $12,000 respectively.
No application to UVic?

10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
No application to UVic?
UVic weights the GPA to LSAT at 70:30. My LSAT score was significantly higher than my GPA. I honestly don't think that I'd get in there. That and the island is for hippies.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Unstable

Ah, Canada! I looked at McGill but since I'm not bilingual it wasn't an option. (Parents have a place in Montreal, my brother is an undergrad, all of us are Canadian Residents.) That's what I get for not looking at the Canadian flag next to your posts!

Heck of a good school for the price. I'm a little surprised that your numbers are competative there, but I don't really know a lot about the Canadian legal world.

Back to the subject at hand - what if you framed the tournament story in terms of what that meant to you, or how it inspired you later in life? My understanding of applications generally is that they want to see people with passion and drive and energy and they REALLY want to see flawless writing, but within those criteria anything will do - there is no "silver bullet" essay that is an automatic acceptance.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Ah, Canada! I looked at McGill but since I'm not bilingual it wasn't an option. (Parents have a place in Montreal, my brother is an undergrad, all of us are Canadian Residents.) That's what I get for not looking at the Canadian flag next to your posts!

Heck of a good school for the price. I'm a little surprised that your numbers are competative there, but I don't really know a lot about the Canadian legal world.

Back to the subject at hand - what if you framed the tournament story in terms of what that meant to you, or how it inspired you later in life? My understanding of applications generally is that they want to see people with passion and drive and energy and they REALLY want to see flawless writing, but within those criteria anything will do - there is no "silver bullet" essay that is an automatic acceptance.
My numbers aren't great which is why I'm stressing out so much about these statement. I figure my GPA and LSAT score put me in the mix for the final quarter of spots and I figure putting those in perspective with the 30 odd hours per week I worked and the 12 hours per week of coaching will give me a legitimate shot at making it in. I have a pretty good idea what I want to put into the statement, I just can't find a way to start it off. That and I've been procrastinating for a while.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Unstable

They definitely notice and care when they have applicants who successfully juggle school, work, and other activities.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Ah, Canada! I looked at McGill but since I'm not bilingual it wasn't an option.
McGill is predominantly English.... as is Montreal, really.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Ah, but the law school curriculum is fully bilingual because provincial law is based on the Napoleonic Code and the vast majority of the important precedents are in French.

One of the things about law schools, and perhaps a strike against UVic for Black Hole Sun, is that location matters - at least here in the U.S. an overwhelming majority of grads end up working in the state they studied in. I don't know if Canadian law schools are different in this respect.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
McGill still has a...what do they call it...functional bilingualism requirement.

http://www.mcgill.ca/law-admissions/...ents/#LANGUAGE

They expect you to be able to mostly understand legal documents in French and English. Example:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/law-admis...a-excerpts.pdf

Old
10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Ah, but the law school curriculum is fully bilingual because provincial law is based on the Napoleonic Code and the vast majority of the important precedents are in French.

One of the things about law schools, and perhaps a strike against UVic for Black Hole Sun, is that location matters - at least here in the U.S. an overwhelming majority of grads end up working in the state they studied in. I don't know if Canadian law schools are different in this respect.
Bah...anyways, I need to start plugging away at this thing. Thanks for the advice

Old
10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
McGill still has a...what do they call it...functional bilingualism requirement.

http://www.mcgill.ca/law-admissions/...ents/#LANGUAGE

They expect you to be able to mostly understand legal documents in French and English. Example:
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/law-admis...a-excerpts.pdf
Hmm...

I did not know that about their Law School program.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:34 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

No more Canuck/Flyer proposals involving Lukas Krajicek:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2518...headlines_main

Old
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Montreal isnt predominately English, Its just functionally bilingual

Same old Hollwegg:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ry/GlobeSports
Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Ryan Hollweg has been suspended for the first two games of the regular season.

The suspension is tied to a hit from behind during a game last week and for two similar incidents last season when he was a member of the New York Rangers.

Hollweg hit St. Louis Blues defenceman Jay McKee from behind with 1:38 remaining in the third period of Toronto's 7-3 loss to the Blues in St. Louis last Wednesday. He was also involved in two fights and racked up 39 minutes in penalties in the game.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 10-06-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
And some Leafs fans think the suspension is unfair. Hopefully not the same ones who thought Downie deserved 10-20 games for his punch on Blake.

Old
10-07-2008, 07:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
And some Leafs fans think the suspension is unfair. Hopefully not the same ones who thought Downie deserved 10-20 games for his punch on Blake.
His suspension this time was actually automatic because its his 3rd boarding major in the past 2 seasons

Old
10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
That one is cut and dry. 3 boarding penalties in whatever time frame is automatic 2 games.

Old
10-07-2008, 07:34 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Here's a blog on HockeyBuzz by Howard Berger.

Leafs To Be NHL's Worst Team In 2008-09
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...3&blogger_id=3
Quote:
Prior to watching the Maple Leafs during their nine-game exhibition schedule, I had been slightly wavering about where they could fit among the NHL’s bottom- feeders this season. But, there is no longer any question.

Hold onto your hats, Leafs Nation. For the first time in 24 years, the Blue & White will be looking up at the rest of the league when the regular season ends on Apr. 12th.

Old
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Speaking of the Leafs, this is a great read. Hilarious!

(http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...02766-sun.html)

Quote:
So, you're a Maple Leafs fan. You have the foam finger. Somewhere in the house is a light fixture with a Leafs logo. At night, you rest on a team pillow and dream of Stanley Cups. You think patriotism is clipping one of those little blue flags to your car window.

You have everything necessary to start the season. Everything, that is, except a real NHL team.

Watching the Leafs this season will be an exercise akin to building Rome. It won't happen in a day, or even a year. Reconstructing a pro sports team is a painstaking process. Need confirmation? See the Rogers Centre where J.P. Ricciardi's five-year rebuilding scheme soon will be closing in on a decade.

Not that anyone's counting, right?

Still, it's better than last year when all that the Leafs did, much like those same Romans, was make an ash of themselves. There is hope where before there only were inflated contracts.

But, if the Leafs aren't going to put crooked numbers on the scoreboard most periods, how can true-blue fans maintain sanity and keep from pitching the garbage can (engrained with Leafs logo, of course) through the wide-screen TV.

First, forget the standings. They should come with a warning, like cigarettes: Using them can be harmful to your mental health.

Ditto the scoreboard. Don't look. Game scores must be treated as if it were Timbit hockey. They don't matter. All that matters is that the players work hard and improve. Frustrating, yes. But you are Leafs fans. Disappointment sticks like stir-fry on Teflon. Work with me on this.

Now, with Mats Sundin still pulling petals off a flower and playing "They love me, they love me not," there's tittle-tattle about who should become captain. A more ominous appointment has not been made since someone tapped Edward John Smith on the shoulder and said: "Congratulations, captain. Here are the keys to the Titanic."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old
10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Speaking of the Leafs, this is a great read. Hilarious!

(http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...02766-sun.html)
Quote:
You have everything necessary to start the season. Everything, that is, except a real NHL team.
Hahah that cracks me up. I almost feel sorry for them. No wait, I don't.

Closed Thread